Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print
Optional preferential voting (Read 51798 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Optional preferential voting
Reply #105 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 9:16am

Quote:
At the point where you have cast a Labor or liberal vote there is no point going further that vote will count, nobody will care about the independent who is your 72nd choice.

That pretty much says it all. It is a bit more complicated in the Senate. I would think carefully down until you have ranked all 4 major parties, as your vote can can passed on with a greatly reduced value. However I think my vote has always stuck with one of my first few preferences - the greens, because they tend to come 7th (out of the 6 places available).

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #106 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 10:11am

Dnarever wrote on Aug 1st, 2010 at 9:13am:
OPV:

MOPV?

Manditory Optional Preferential Voting.

well the title confused me anyway, some refer to optional as the option to cast any vote or turn up at all.

That means that it's mandatory to vote, but optional whether or not you allocate preferences.

FD - How to vote cards promote flock mentality. If you want to vote  for our party then follow the instructions on who to allocate preferences to.

Some people can easily be persuaded that if you mix and match preferences, you're not voting properly. It's a form of coercion.

I never collect how to vote cards.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #107 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 11:43am

Quote:
Some people can easily be persuaded that if you mix and match preferences, you're not voting properly. It's a form of coercion.

So people are being denied the right to vote because politicians are telling them how to vote? Should we ban politicians from saying 'vote for me'?

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #108 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 1:11pm

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2010 at 11:43am:
Quote:

So people are being denied the right to vote because politicians are telling them how to vote? Should we ban politicians from saying 'vote for me'?

Well no - I didn't actually say that anybody was being denied the right to vote. I am saying that people are being coerced into making certain preferences and towing the party line for the reasons I gave earlier.

I'd prefer it if politicians and their support workers were not permitted to distribute how to vote cards, but I state that as a personal opinion only.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #109 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 8:02pm

Quote:
Well no - I didn't actually say that anybody was being denied the right to vote.

Right, you said 'infringed', not denied. Is this just hair splitting?

Quote:
I also see 'how to vote' cards as an infringement of individual rights

Quote:
but I state that as a personal opinion only

What other way could you state it? I am picking up from your body language that you are unsure about your position on this.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #110 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 8:22pm

freediver wrote on Aug 1st, 2010 at 8:02pm:
Quote:
Well no - I didn't actually say that anybody was being denied the right to vote.

Right, you said 'infringed', not denied. Is this just hair splitting?

Quote:
I also see 'how to vote' cards as an infringement of individual rights

Quote:
but I state that as a personal opinion only

What other way could you state it? I am picking up from your body language that you are unsure about your position on this.

I can live with How to Vote Cards, but I find them irritating. Is that clearer?

I just think that they unduly pressurize voters into voting in a particular way (re allocation of preferences)

Yeah - if you prefer to split hairs, perhaps 'compromised' is a more accurate reflection of how I think rather than infringed.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #111 - Aug 1st, 2010 at 8:37pm

It's just that infringing or compromising someone's right to vote would be a pretty serious accusation in my opinion. If it were true. Plus, it's annoying when people try to frame everything as an infringement of their (or other people's) rights.

IP Logged

hawil
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #112 - Aug 3rd, 2010 at 4:07pm

Reading what some ex-politicians like Downer, Latham and others had to say about Rudd, and the language they use and apparently the so called pious Rudd uses, the democracy is rather on shaky grounds.
Then again, read recently, 'The tyranny of a Prince in a Oligarchy is not as dangerous to society as the apathy of the voters in a Democracy.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #113 - Aug 15th, 2010 at 7:51pm

I think Latham will be arrested for urging everybody to vote informal and announcing his intention to do the same.  Grin

That's illegal in Australia.

- but what he said in his 60 minutes report was on the mark. There is no substance from either side in this election. Neither of them deserve a vote. This reaffirms what I have always said - voting should not be compulsory.

Apathy of the voters? - what do you expect?

I have a moral right not to allocate my preferences to either of those clowns.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Bligh to dump optional preferential voting
Reply #114 - Dec 7th, 2010 at 7:26pm

Great news:

Anna Bligh may dump optional preferential system as LNP accuses her of trying to rig poll

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/queensland/anna-bligh-may-dump-optional-preferential-system-as-lnp-accuses-her-of-trying-to-rig-poll/story-e6freoof-1225943913346

ANNA Bligh has sought advice on whether informal voting is on the rise in a clear sign she is mounting the case to dump Queensland's optional preferential system.

The Premier yesterday revealed she had asked Attorney-General Cameron Dick to assess whether confusion over different voting systems was driving a growing number of informal votes.

Her comments sparked instant condemnation from the Liberal Nationals, who accused Ms Bligh of attempting to "rig" the next state election.

But Ms Bligh said the Australian Electoral Commission had raised concerns after the federal election about the high number of informal votes in Queensland compared with other states. She said she wanted to ascertain whether this had increased when compared to past elections.

"That is what I have asked for the advice on," she said.

"Are we seeing a growing confusion that is leading to this, not just at the last election which has prompted the comments, but over the last few elections?

Start of sidebar. Skip to end of sidebar.

End of sidebar. Return to start of sidebar.

"Is this a growing trend? And if it is I don't think we can ignore it."

Queensland has an optional preferential voting system, allowing voters to mark only the box for the candidate they want or allocate preferences.

However, allocating preferences is compulsory at a federal election.

There was concern raised after the recent federal election that informal voting spiked in Queensland when state and federal elections were held close to each other.

Ms Bligh said it was not in the interests of democracy for people's votes to be wasted because of confusion between the two systems.

Labor in Queensland has long profited from the optional preferential system since it was introduced in the 1990s, particularly under former premier Peter Beattie's "Just Vote 1" strategy.

However, with the Greens polling at record numbers, the optional system could cost Ms Bligh seats at the next election.

Opposition Leader John-Paul Langbroek said Labor had decided to rig the electoral sys-tem because it was out of ideas.

"The Premier's cute and evasive words and her silly games on this issue confirm that Labor has embarked on a path to try and rig the next state election," he said.

Mr Beattie has recently advocated for all voting systems to be optional preferential so people are not effectively forced to vote for candidates they don't want.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print