Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Tsunami..are we prepared? (Read 8122 times)
oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Tsunami..are we prepared?
Aug 18th, 2007 at 3:56pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2004_Indian_Ocean_earthquake

The Boxing Day Tsunamai of three yrs ago was a devastating disaster and happened relatively on our doorstep.

With Global warming having an effect on our seas this problem is bound to become a reality sooner rather than later.

Are we preparing to protect life and billions in exposed and vulnerable real estate on our coastlines? I doubt it.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Re: Tsunami..are we prepared?
Reply #1 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 4:02pm

so tranquil one moment --

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #2 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 4:32pm

Tsunami Causes
Tsunami Characteristics

A tsunami can be generated by any disturbance that displaces a large mass of water, such as an earthquake, landslide or meteor impact.

Tsunamis can be generated when the sea floor abruptly deforms and vertically displaces the overlying water. Tectonic earthquakes are a particular kind of earthquake that are associated with the earth's crust deformation; when these earthquakes occur beneath the sea, the water above the deformed area is displaced from its equilibrium position. Waves are formed as the displaced water mass moves under the influence of gravity to regain its equilibrium. When large areas of the sea floor elevate or subside, a tsunami can be created. Large vertical movements of the earth's crust can occur at plate boundaries. Plates interact along these boundaries called "faults". Around the margins of the Pacific Ocean, for example, denser oceanic plates slip under continental plates in a process known as subduction. Subduction earthquakes are particularly effective in generating tsunamis.

Submarine landslides, which often accompany large earthquakes, as well as collapses of volcanic edifices, can also disturb the overlying water column as sediment and rock slump downslope and are redistributed across the sea floor. Similarly, a violent submarine volcanic eruption can uplift a water column and generate a tsunami.

Large landslides and cosmic-body impacts can disturb the water from above, as momentum from falling debris is transferred to the water into which the debris falls. Generally speaking, tsunamis generated from these mechanisms, unlike the Pacific-wide tsunamis caused by some earthquakes, dissipate quickly and rarely affect coastlines distant from the source area. However if the landslide or cosmic body is large enough, it will create a megatsunami. A megatsunami is a tsunami, usually caused by a collapsing island, asteroid impact, or huge chunks of ice falling into a large body of water, and is hundreds of meters high.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 5:38pm

Some friends of mine was out fishing once near Hervey Bay. They had waded out to a sand bar and then crossed to the other side to fish. High tide had just passed so one of them put the esky next to the water's edge. After a while he turned around and the water was lapping at it, so he moved it back up. Soon the water was lapping at it again. By then the other guy had moved to the far end of the sand bar. He was called over and they made a hasty retreat back to the beach as the sandbar diappeared under the water. They told another bloke who was camping nearby what had happened. He said it was a small tsunami and that it had been all over the radio. On the way back they heard some official on the radio saying that they were well prepared and if it had been a seirous tsunami they would have been able to warn everyone in time. Not sure how you warn someone who is out fishing in the middle of nowhere.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #4 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 7:26pm

freediver wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 5:38pm:
Some friends of mine was out fishing once near Hervey Bay. They had waded out to a sand bar and then crossed to the other side to fish. High tide had just passed so one of them put the esky next to the water's edge. After a while he turned around and the water was lapping at it, so he moved it back up. Soon the water was lapping at it again. By then the other guy had moved to the far end of the sand bar. He was called over and they made a hasty retreat back to the beach as the sandbar diappeared under the water. They told another bloke who was camping nearby what had happened. He said it was a small tsunami and that it had been all over the radio. On the way back they heard some official on the radio saying that they were well prepared and if it had been a seirous tsunami they would have been able to warn everyone in time. Not sure how you warn someone who is out fishing in the middle of nowhere.

This is quite scary FD..

So this means that Tsunamis occur more frequently than we imagine...

We are are fairly low lying country and I live on a point..sea either side of me..the thought has occurred to me that it could easily happen here..and when we get a king tide high winds and a full moon at the same time , it can get quite frightening..

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #5 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 7:51pm

There is evidence on the cliffs along the NSW coast of a large tsunami which struck about 20 years before cooks landing. The way the rocks are positioned testify to this and of Aboriginal stories of a giant wave.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #6 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 8:17pm

Quote:
There is evidence on the cliffs along the NSW coast of a large tsunami which struck about 20 years before cooks landing. The way the rocks are positioned testify to this and of Aboriginal stories of a giant wave.

would be fascinating to get more information on that.,maybe I can dig something up.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 10:05pm

How does the position of rocks tell you how recently the last big wave was? How can you tell whether it rolled down from above, got pushed up from below, or got pushed up when sea levels were higher?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #8 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 10:47pm

freediver wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 10:05pm:
How does the position of rocks tell you how recently the last big wave was? How can you tell whether it rolled down from above, got pushed up from below, or got pushed up when sea levels were higher?

I saw it in a documentary a couple of years ago. They carbon dated ex-living material under these massive boulders and they were discovered to be about 250 years old.
The boulders were also heaped in a way not like standard erosion, but like they'd been moved together and piled in the same spot.
And freediver, do you have to debate everything!

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #9 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 11:29pm

Quote:
freediver wrote on Aug 18th, 2007 at 10:05pm:

I saw it in a documentary a couple of years ago. They carbon dated ex-living material under these massive boulders and they were discovered to be about 250 years old.
The boulders were also heaped in a way not like standard erosion, but like they'd been moved together and piled in the same spot.
And freediver, do you have to debate everything!

Im glad you went over that Aussie..Im curious too...very informative and its great how scientific findings can tell us so much...

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #10 - Aug 18th, 2007 at 11:36pm

http://ro.uow.edu.au/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1035&context=scipapers

this link may be the event you were talking about AN.

"Cosmic Mega Tsunami in the Australian region:are they supported by Aboriginal and Maori legends?"

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #11 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 12:07am

I cant read that oceans. i dont have the program.

IP Logged

DILLIGAF
Gold Member

The greens are red
Reply #12 - Aug 19th, 2007 at 12:21am

IP Logged

PoliticalMonkey

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 10:41pm

Im scared of tsunamis! I hope global warming doesnt cause one!

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Oct 28th, 2007 at 11:19pm

PoliticalMonkey wrote on Oct 28th, 2007 at 10:41pm:
Im scared of tsunamis! I hope global warming doesnt cause one!

GW will be responsible for tsunami's, ozone layer depletion, cancer increases, dead polar bears, equine flu, irritable bowel syndrome, increased flatulence, diabetes, emphysema and impotence.

Be afraid...be very afraid  Shocked

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print