Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print
Immigrants are better educated: report (Read 15381 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Immigrants are better educated: report
Reply #45 - May 10th, 2008 at 11:12am

lapaz62 wrote on May 8th, 2008 at 8:36pm:
True, Indians do take education very seriously, how else could they have completely monopolized the 7/11 business.

And maybe soon the world's I.T.

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

lapaz62

Australian Politics

Reply #46 - May 12th, 2008 at 5:23pm

anything where there is no actual physical labour involved.

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #47 - May 12th, 2008 at 7:39pm

lapaz62 wrote on May 8th, 2008 at 8:36pm:
True, Indians do take education very seriously, how else could they have completely monopolized the 7/11 business.

Just a thought, but maybe they're prepared to put up with the verbal abuse most Aussies won't, to earn a dollar. Do you know what it's like working in a 7/11 at 3am in downtown any suburb? Migrants have often done jobs most Aussies won't touch with a barge pole.

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

lapaz62

Australian Politics

Reply #48 - May 12th, 2008 at 8:42pm

Thats what migrants are for, go to any place and the immigrant workers will be doing the crap jobs, they know that before they go there

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #49 - May 12th, 2008 at 9:05pm

lapaz62 wrote on May 12th, 2008 at 8:42pm:
Thats what migrants are for, go to any place and the immigrant workers will be doing the crap jobs, they know that before they go there

No nation would long endure without those who volunteered to shovel the S***.

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

lapaz62

Australian Politics

Reply #50 - May 12th, 2008 at 10:24pm

Is it not a contradiction that the immigrants are so well educated and yet doing the crappy jobs, mmmmmm. If you need to have a degree to call me up and sell me something during dinner, drive a cab, work at the petrol station or sell me a coke at 7/11 then your going to the wrong school. I enjoyed the country I had when I was a boy, Its long gone. Do you think that Aussies never did it hard, maybe you weren't here to know.

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #51 - May 13th, 2008 at 7:40am

lapaz62 wrote on May 12th, 2008 at 10:24pm:
Is it not a contradiction that the immigrants are so well educated and yet doing the crappy jobs, mmmmmm.

It's more complex than that. Some have medical degrees not recognised in Oz. Others I know are chemists and language translators who are only transit in such industries. These industries seldom have long term employees, who mainly use them as a springboard while doing further studies or seeking work in more advanced fields. The long term cab drivers I know are literally only a handful, and they're not poor by any standards.

lapaz62 wrote on May 12th, 2008 at 10:24pm:
If you need to have a degree to call me up and sell me something during dinner, drive a cab, work at the petrol station or sell me a coke at 7/11 then your going to the wrong school. I enjoyed the country I had when I was a boy, Its long gone. Do you think that Aussies never did it hard, maybe you weren't here to know.

I'm aware that generational Aussies did it hard, after all I was married to a fifth generation Australian with convict ancestry, and know from her grandparents exactly how hard they did it. Oz certainly has changed, and unfortunately in many areas not for the better, but so has the rest of the world. The "downward slide" has been global, not limited to Oz.

IP Logged

lapaz62

Australian Politics

Reply #52 - May 16th, 2008 at 4:27pm

The reason that overseas degrees are not recognized here is that there origan can be very dubious, some are simply bought and payed for while others are of a sub- standard nature, if you have a degree that is not recognized, then you dont have a degree. I put on a band aid one day, does that make me a doctor.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - May 16th, 2008 at 4:31pm

Bureaucracy and laziness are probably a big factor also. I can't imagine a public servant or bureaucrat wanting to take on the risk of approving a foreign degree. So we have qualified, experienced doctors driving taxis at the same time as we have a shortage of doctors in our hospitals.

The fools who approved doctor death would no doubt be just as capable of rejecting qualified doctors.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

lapaz62

Australian Politics

Reply #54 - May 16th, 2008 at 4:38pm

If these people truly have the knowledge, then it should be a breeze to sit a test or be retrained, should it not.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #55 - May 16th, 2008 at 4:45pm

It should be possible to establish a testing regime that doesn't unduly disadvantage foreigners. Whether it has been done, I don't know.

IP Logged

lapaz62

Australian Politics

Reply #56 - May 16th, 2008 at 5:45pm

Whats the disadvantage, that they may have to learn english, or pay to re- study.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #57 - May 16th, 2008 at 5:49pm

I meant like doing the degree again. It is reasonable to expect a doctor to be able to speak english.

IP Logged

lapaz62

Australian Politics

Reply #58 - May 16th, 2008 at 6:22pm

Like I said, it shoul be easy to pass quickly, if you have the knowledge.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #59 - May 16th, 2008 at 6:28pm

Are you saying it is reasonable to expect them to do the degree again?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 
Send Topic Print