Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Voting above the line? Read this. (Read 13609 times)
RightSadFred
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Voting above the line? Read this.
Reply #15 - Sep 2nd, 2013 at 8:17am

freediver wrote on Sep 1st, 2013 at 9:55pm:
I have updated the guide for the 2013 election:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/senate-group-voting-tickets-above-line...

The increase in the number of microparties makes it even more important to check where your vote will end up, if you plan to vote above the line. Some of the predictions are quite alarming. For example, in South Australia the new “No carbon tax” microparty has a 64% chance of election as long as its primary vote is 0.15% or higher, based on historical preference flows and current polling.

And this is concerning ?

The tax was introduced in a very undemocratic way so removing it using our democratic system does not concern me at all.

Do you prefer that Abbott lies and says he is not going to remove the carbon tax only to remove it later ?

I get your point but you picked bad example.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Sep 5th, 2013 at 11:08pm

I have updated the tables based on new predictions of who is in with a chance.

I have also added links to more detailed group tickets, organised as an ordered list.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Sep 7th, 2013 at 10:43am

what about ACT fd.... dont they count us?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 8:59am

Sorry I didn't get time to finish it all off properly.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #19 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 9:19am

Good guide - unfortunately I only seen it today.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #20 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 9:30am

I did plan to vote under the line.. but it over whelmed me to be honest...I just could not be bothered...its a ridiculous thing to expect of the majority of people....thank god they have above the line........as the bloody booths would never close.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #21 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 11:23am

Some interesting results, based on 62% of senate votes counted:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/federal-election-2013/results/senate/

WA has a senator from the Australian Sport Party. I had this one listed on my guide.

Victoria has a senator from the Australian Motoring Enthusiasts Party. I did not have this one on my guide.

NSW has a senator from the Liberal Democrats. I had this one listed on my guide (under a slightly different name for some reason).

Tasmania and Queensland both have a senator from the Palmer Untied Party. I did not have either of these listed.

South Australia has elected Nick Xenophon (again) and a Family First senator (as well as a Green). I had Xenophon listed, but not Family First.

There were four Greens elected - in SA, TAS, VIC, WA.

Every single state has a surprise in the results.

IP Logged

True Colours
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #22 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 11:36am

I noticed that Wikileaks hardly got any preferences from other parties - they must have not have been adept at doing all the shifty back room deals.

Did anyone else number all the boxes below the line? It took me about 5 minutes just to do that. Everybody else at the polling booth seemed to be in and out quickly - doubt that they were numbering all the boxes.

IP Logged

True Colours
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 11:40am

I am thinking that it is time for a new rule for the senate; if you don't bother to number all the boxes, and you only nominate one party above the line, then you don't get preferences.

Otherwise with all these candidates doing shifty deals, we will end up with parties in the senate that 99% of us didn't actually want.

The motoring party only got 0.52% in the first count -yet with backroom deals they can get a senator. Ludicrous!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Sep 8th, 2013 at 11:45am

I actually voted above the line yesterday. First time ever I think.

Note that the results I posted above seem to be based on group voting ticket preference flows only. The outcome is likely to change significantly once all votes are counted.

Quote:
Otherwise with all these candidates doing shifty deals, we will end up with parties in the senate that 99% of us didn't actually want.

You only need 1/7th of the total vote in a state, after preferences, to win a seat. It is supposed to have minor party representation.

With regard to wikileaks, a lot depends on the order in which parties are eliminated. A party can narrowly escape elimination, then go on to collect a lot of preferences.

I expect that there will be some kind of reaction to this at the next election, with a lot more scrutiny of preference flows, especially to micro parties that are virtually unknown and to parties from the opposite side of the political spectrum.
« Last Edit: Sep 8th, 2013 at 11:50am by freediver »  

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print