Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
new party: What Women Want Australia (Read 14300 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
new party: What Women Want Australia
Jun 28th, 2007 at 11:33am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/New-political-party-for-women-launched/2007/06/28/1182624038705.html

A new political party is set to contest this year's federal election with one clear goal - giving women a voice.

The What Women Want Australia (WWW) party, launched in Brisbane, said it wanted to improve Australian political life and policy by involving more women.

WWW founder, mother-of-six Justine Caines, said there was a lot of talk about women taking a greater role in politics but little was being done.

"The major parties behave like boys' clubs and despite some wonderful female MPs the role of women in Australian life needs to be enhanced," Ms Caines said in a statement.

Ms Caines said women mostly wanted what they needed.

"Issues such as supportive maternity care, paid maternity leave, access to quality childcare and support for carers are seen as 'soft issues' and do not receive the monetary support they deserve," she said.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: new party: What Women Want Australia
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 11:43am

Sounds good and worth looking into in regard to preference votes.  There are many other issues apart from childcare, maternity etc. - there is still the matter of equal rights as far as wages, glass ceilings and generally having a voice in the way this country is governed at a State and Federal level.

If a women's political party had some power in the Senate - wars and nuclear power certainly wouldn't be on the agenda.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 11:52am

It should be banned for being sexist.
There is wages equality and no glass ceiling. People get paid/promoted on their ability and effort.
Men work harder, longer, in more dangerous conditions. Therefore on average we get paid more.
Everyone gets a say- they vote.

The issues freediver has put forward is they want more money given freely to them.
Nothing new in that.

Will ponder on "The Mens Party."

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 12:05pm

Sprintcyclist - your post sounded sexist.  Yes men do work in hard dangerous jobs and deserve more pay for those roles, but I'm talking about other work situations where women perform the same duties, but receive less pay under another title.  There is a glass ceiling out there - particularly in Australia where women can't attain the same roles as males because of the "boys club" especially in our parliamentary and corporate sector.

You can't say that men generally work harder - as it is a well known fact that women work far longer hours than men - especially those raising families.   

In fact I think it may be listed in Skeptic's post on the 2006 census.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 12:19pm

The glass ceiling can be explained, at least in part, by differences in the sexes in ability. A small difference in the average intelligence between men and women, or a difference in the standard deviation, will not have a significant impact on the number of women able to perform most jobs to the same ability as their male colleagues. However, when it comes to the top jobs it can have a huge impact. I think that men far outrank women at both ends of the scale.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 12:41pm

Quote:
However, when it comes to the top jobs it can have a huge impact. I think that men far outrank women at both ends of the scale.

Comments like this show quite clearly why we need a womens' party.  Australia is renowned for its sexist and in many cases backward thinking males.

Who can argue on equality with a male?  Only another male.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 12:44pm

Australia is renowned for its sexist and in many cases backward thinking males.

By whom?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 12:55pm

By thinking females who have lived in other Western countries and compared their men to Australian men.

Quote:
This sexist idealogy--namely, agressive masculinity--originated when the first settlers of the British "convict colony" -- 586 men and 192 girls and women ("damned whores") -- landed in Botany Bay and embarked on a run of drunken hellraising, with the male convicts chasing the female convicts. As a result of this night, and many others that followed it, colonial reformers later called for the migration of "good and virtuous women" from Britain to Australia to serve as wives, mothers and, as mentioned before, "God's police--a force for moral improvement." Thus, to this day, women in Australia represent, in the eyes of Australian men, both sex objects and "promoters of morality."

In addition to the way in which they perceive their female counterparts, another hinderance in the evolution of sexual roles and masculine behaviour has been the way in which men perceive their male counterparts. The tradition of "mateship"--the reliance of a man on his "pal"--stems from Australia's history of the "lonely, womanless and often dangerous life in the bush or outback." Often, pairs of convicts who settled into the remote bushland to run a farm and raise livestock grew "mutually dependent on one another to the point of homosexuality." As Robert Hughes writes in The Fatal Shore, "The feeling of reliance on one's mate would lie forever at the heart of masculine behaviour in Australia."

Other events which contributed to this sense of masculinity, as well as this idea of mateship, include the wars in South Africa, Korea, and Vietnam, in which Australian men gained a reputation as "roughhouse brawlers on and off the battlefields."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:17pm

Do you disagree with my comments on the statistical distibution of intelligence, or do you not think aptitude matters?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:30pm

Aptitude and statistical distibution of intelligence are two different matters.

Of course I believe in aptitude - but there are many highly intelligent beings who have little aptitude in matters beyond their specific interests.

As far as statistical distribution of intelligence - are you trying to say that statistics say that men are more intelligent than females and have greater aptitude?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:30pm

thanks mantra.  yep, any guy that stands up for mens rights generally gets called a sexist.

taking into account all the home work. ie the stuff outside the house as well as inside, the figures are remarkably similar for house work. men do do a slight bit more, also the more dangerous stuff.
At work, we do much more.

sexistsprintcyclist

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:36pm

As far as statistical distribution of intelligence - are you trying to say that statistics say that men are more intelligent than females and have greater aptitude?

No. That is the sort of generalisation a sexist (or ignorant) person would make.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:36pm

The remarks weren't meant to offend you Sprintcyclist - but I think we have to agree to disagree.

I can imagine this debate getting out of control.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #13 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:39pm

Quote:
Do you disagree with my comments on the statistical distibution of intelligence, or do you not think aptitude matters?

You've inferred that males outrank females in intelligence - so how is my comment supposed to be ignorant?

You made the statement.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:42pm

You've inferred that males outrank females in intelligence

No I haven't.

The glass ceiling can be explained, at least in part, by differences between the sexes in ability. A small difference in the average intelligence between men and women, or a difference in the standard deviation, skew or other characteristic of the distribution, will not have a significant impact on the number of women able to perform most jobs to the same ability as their male colleagues. However, when it comes to the top jobs it can have a huge impact. I think that men far outrank women at both ends of the scale.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print