Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
2006 census results (Read 5479 times)
skeptic

OzPolitic

2006 census results
Jun 27th, 2007 at 1:52pm

2006 census results have been released. apparently we haven't hit 20 million yet, unless u take into account Australians living overseas.

Quote:
Aussies older, richer, hooked up
June 27, 2007 09:51am
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,21976292-5001021,00.html

AUSTRALIANS are getting older and women still do more chores than blokes - but at least we're earning more money and are hooking up to the internet.

The statistics are among latest data from the 2006 census, released today by the Australian Bureau of Statistics.

The median household income in Australia last year was $1,000 – $1,199 per week, up from the 1996 median of $600 – $699.

However, Australians are now less likely to own their own home outright and more of them are paying one off.

In 2006, 33 per cent of homes were fully owned, down from 41 per cent, and almost one-third were still being purchased, up from one-quarter.

Rented properties accounted for 27 per cent.

New census questions reveal just over 37 per cent of Australians questioned during the census had broadband internet, while about 20 per cent had dial-up.

In the home, the average Australian woman does between five and 14 hours of domestic work, compared to the average man, who does less than five hours.

More than one-third of women reported doing more than 15 hours of unpaid chores per week, compared to 12 per cent of men.

One in 25 Australians needs daily help with basic activities such as self-care, moving around or communicating.

Almost one in five Australians performed voluntary work in a year.

Australia's median age rose from 34 to 37 years in 2006 and the share of the population aged 65 and over increased from 12.1 per cent to 13.3 per cent.

For every 100 women in Australia, there are 97 men.

Marriage is still the norm for couples, although married couples now account for a lower share of the population than they did in 1996 – down from 53.3 per cent to 49.6 per cent.

The number of followers of Hinduism has more than doubled since 1996, now covering 0.7 per cent of the population.

Followers of Buddhism also doubled to more than two per cent of the population.

Islam accounts for 1.7 per cent and Judaism 0.4 per cent.

Christianity remains the dominant religion. It grew slightly, from 12.6 million followers to 12.7 million but fell as a proportion of the population from 71 per cent to 64 per cent.

Almost 19 per cent of Australians said they had no religion.

The number of young people living with their parents grew by eight per cent and the number of students dependent on their parents rose by 14 per cent.

In 2006, 59 per cent of all 15-24 year-olds lived with their parents.

More school students now attend private schools, 35 per cent, compared to 30 per cent in 1996.

The census counted 19,855,289 Australian residents on August 8 last year.

This differs from the ABS estimate of 20,701,500, which took into account Australians who were temporarily overseas.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Re: 2006 census results
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2007 at 7:27pm

Quote:
The median household income in Australia last year was $1,000 – $1,199 per week, up from the 1996 median of $600 – $699.

That's news to me.  Huh

Quote:
Almost one in five Australians performed voluntary work in a year.

What the?  Shocked

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 9:29am

wow, i'm really surprised no one cares about the census results (apart from donaldtrump).
i would have thought there would have been more discussion about this.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 11:19am

They are interesting skeptic:

Quote:
[[AUSTRALIANS love their bit of land, but Census figures reveal we're less likely to own a home now than we were five years ago while the level of household debt has gone through the roof.

And reflecting a housing affordability crisis, the amount being paid on rent has soared while the number of renters is rising.

Of the 7.5 million private dwellings counted in the 2006 Census, 32.6 per cent were fully owned, a big drop from 39.7 per cent in 2001.

On the other hand, the number of homes being paid off, or mortgaged to the bank, jumped to 32.2 per cent, up from 26.5 per cent in 2001.

Reflecting higher house prices, the proportion of Australians renting rose to 27.2 per cent, up from 26.3 per cent in 2001.

Money out of pocket

Rents and housing loan repayments soared between 2001 and 2006, reflecting our love affair with property is costing us dearly.

The median monthly housing loan repayment soared 50 per cent to $1300 in 2006, up from a much more modest $867 in 2001.

In 2006, the median weekly rent was $190, a 31 per cent hike from $145 in 2001.

There were 8.4 million private dwellings counted in the 2006 Census, an increase of 8.2 per cent since the 2001 Census.

The average gross individual income is now $466 a week, up from the 2001 median of $375, a rise of 24 per cent, less than the jump in rent and mortgage repayments.

The average household income also rose to $1027 a week in 2006, after being $782 in 2001.

Less public housing

Of dwelling types, the largest proportional rise was for flats, units and apartments showing an increase of 0.9 per cent.

In the 2006 Census just over half (51 per cent) of all occupied private dwellings being rented were rented from real estate agents, an increase from 44 per cent in the 2001 Census.

Reflecting less government investment in housing, 14.9 per cent of dwellings were rented from a public housing authority, down from 17.1 per cent in 2001.
Nicki Bourlioufas is the business editor of NEWS.com.au]]

Even though they are supposed to be from the same source, there is a slight  difference in the statistics.

And DT - as far as the average family household income rising to that extent - they would have to take the salaries of the CEO's and management into account to come to those figures.

Buying a home paints a gloomy picture for Generation X and Y.

IP Logged

AusNat 14/88
Ex Member

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:44pm

I thought they said we'll top 21 million by the end of this month? something is amiss.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2007 at 1:49pm

Quote:
I thought they said we'll top 21 million by the end of this month? something is amiss.

i think that's if u include Australians living overseas as well.
it's only about 19.8 million Australians that still live here.

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 6:40pm

nothing is unexpected in the results thats why

IP Logged

cautious connie

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 7:16pm

Census results reflect Howard's economic, education  and social policies directly. People can't afford to buy homes, struggle with debt, have to pay off their education, can't get rental housing, can't save. All part of Howard's wonderful economic plan in which people are just so many pieces of driftwood to arrange on the beach.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #8 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 2:44am

Classic Liberal wrote on Jun 29th, 2007 at 6:40pm:
nothing is unexpected in the results thats why

True. It kinda reminds me of those meaningless CNN reports where they say stats like.... 1 in 4 Americans like dogs... and 2 of 3 like cats... etc...

I was a little surprised with this one though...
Quote:
More than one-third of women reported doing more than 15 hours of unpaid chores per week, compared to 12 per cent of men.

I know this is gonna sound REALLY stupid... but I kinda used the TV show Big Brother (Oh the shame! I used to watch it!) as a lab rat for this a few years ago when I was at the peak of my loserish stage... and it seemed to me that Aussie guys did a lot of housework judging by how much housework they did on big brother.

Moral of story... Reality TV ain't reality.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 5:58pm

young ladies tehse days are bone lazy i find

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 6:25pm

A census conducted on this site also shows that the lazy ones spend a large amount of time in online forums. It also showed that they weren't the brightest crayons in the box either.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #11 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 7:04pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Jun 30th, 2007 at 6:25pm:
A census conducted on this site also shows that the lazy ones spend a large amount of time in online forums. It also showed that they weren't the brightest crayons in the box either.

Ok that would account for YOU being signed in  all day and night then . Grin

barge arse.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #12 - Jun 30th, 2007 at 7:10pm

The aforementioned dimwitted and lazy ones are easily recognised by their predisposition to take a bait without thought

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
This just in!!!!
Reply #13 - Jul 1st, 2007 at 5:06pm

Three out of four people make up 75% of our population.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print