Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Road safety campaign hits hoons' manhood (Read 5304 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Road safety campaign hits hoons' manhood
Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:18am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Road-safety-campaign-hits-hoons-manhood/2007/06/24/1182623744622.html

The RTA has launched a new $1.9 million road safety campaign which is short on shock tactics but instead takes aim at the ego of hoon drivers.

The "Speeding - No One Thinks Big of You" campaigns airs from Sunday night with advertisements on television and in cinemas, on buses and bus shelters.

RTA spokesman John Whelan said after repeated road safety campaigns focused on trauma and death, it was time to question the manhood of young men who deliberately speed.

"Recent research revealed that young people are increasingly hardened to shock tactic images of fatal crashes," Mr Whelan said.

He also said audience testing of the ads showed "most members of the wider community would not be offended".

The ads include images of a young woman, or hoon drivers' mates, who raise their little finger in response to a deliberate display of dangerous driving.

Mr Whelan said the well-known "pinkie" gesture suggested a lead foot might be compensation for a lack elsewhere.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Re: Road safety campaign hits hoons' manhood
Reply #1 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:38am

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:18am:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Road-safety-campaign-hits-hoons-manhood/2007/06/24/1182623744622.html

The RTA has launched a new $1.9 million road safety campaign which is short on shock tactics but instead takes aim at the ego of hoon drivers.

The "Speeding - No One Thinks Big of You" campaigns airs from Sunday night with advertisements on television and in cinemas, on buses and bus shelters.

RTA spokesman John Whelan said after repeated road safety campaigns focused on trauma and death, it was time to question the manhood of young men who deliberately speed.

"Recent research revealed that young people are increasingly hardened to shock tactic images of fatal crashes," Mr Whelan said.

He also said audience testing of the ads showed "most members of the wider community would not be offended".

The ads include images of a young woman, or hoon drivers' mates, who raise their little finger in response to a deliberate display of dangerous driving.

Mr Whelan said the well-known "pinkie" gesture suggested a lead foot might be compensation for a lack elsewhere.

About time they used a different tactic to the tired 'horrific crash' ads.

This tactic is crazy enough to work. I've studied hoons... and the need for attention and to impress their mates and girlfriends are what fuels them.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:47am

i don't think this new ad campaign would work, when i was younger and just got my license, i didn't drive fast to impress my mates or girls, i did it because it was a rush.

people speed because it's dangerous and living life on the edge is exciting.

i much prefer the horrific car crash ads, they so u the end result of speeding, which is more likely to get through to people who would realise that the few seconds of excitement u get are hardly worth it.

these ads just say that people would assume u have a small cock and that ur speeding to make up for it, well i'm happy with my size and so has all the girls i've been with. so i wouldn't care less if that's what people assumed about me. it's their loss.

that ad definately wouldn't convince me to slow down.

IP Logged

AusNat 14/88
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:52am

They need to aim it at Lebs, Wiggers and other ethnic groups.

These are the ones who spped around in their whoooshiiii  fully sick turbo charged piece of jap crap.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

skeptic

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:53am

Quote:
They need to aim it at Lebs, Wiggers and other ethnic groups.

These are the ones who spped around in their whoooshiiii  fully sick turbo charged piece of jap crap.

everyone speeds, it has nothing to do with race.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:56am

Most of the 'hoons' I see are white.

IP Logged

AusNat 14/88
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:58am

Quote:
everyone speeds, it has nothing to do with race.

Some races speed more than others.

IP Logged

AusNat 14/88
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:58am

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:56am:

Where do you live?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:59am

Australia.

IP Logged

AusNat 14/88
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 12:00pm

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:59am:
Australia.

Queensland ay?  its still a white area there mate.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #10 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 12:17pm

freediver wrote on Jun 25th, 2007 at 11:56am:

The ones I see are ethnic.

Must be different in Melbourne than area 51, Freediver.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Hoon hotline to dob in dodgy drivers
Reply #11 - Jul 2nd, 2007 at 5:08pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Hoon-hotline-to-dob-in-dodgy-drivers/2007/07/02/1183229020655.html

Victorians can now dob in hoon drivers under a new statewide hotline.

The hoon hotline will be rolled out across Victoria as the state government revs up its campaign against rogue drivers.

The $250,000 hotline will use the Crime Stoppers number, 1800 333 000, and follows a successful trial in Geelong, south-west of Melbourne.

Lower speed to save pedestrians: council

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Lower-speed-to-save-pedestrians-council/2007/07/02/1183229010838.html

Pedestrian accidents in Sydney have prompted the city's council to request speed limits be lowered to 40km/h in the CBD.

One woman was killed and another seriously injured last month in separate pedestrian accidents involving buses at intersections on Druitt Street in the city's CBD.

"Druitt Street is a vital through link to the Anzac Bridge for buses and also a very busy pedestrian area, particularly at peak hour times with commuters heading to Town Hall station and bus interchanges," City of Sydney acting chief executive Garry Harding said in a statement.

NSW 'Little Pinky' road ad a big success

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/NSW-Little-Pinky-road-ad-a-big-success/2007/10/14/1192300608823.html

The controversial "Little Pinky" anti-speeding ads could be the most successful road safety campaign NSW has ever had.

The advertisements, in which people wiggle their little finger at speeding male P-platers, has sparked outrage - but appears to be working, News Limited reports.

A survey testing the ads' impact shows 63 per cent of young males - the campaign's target audience - admit it encourages them to stick to the speed limit.

More than 75 per cent of people believe it has increased awareness of speeding.

NSW Roads Minister Eric Roozendaal, who has been criticised with claims the ad is offensive to men, said the survey showed the government was right to run the ads.

"If it dents a few egos but helps save lives, then it's worth it," News Ltd quoted him as saying.

Govt to destroy hoons' cars, show video

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Govt-to-destroy-hoons-cars-show-video/2007/11/12/1194766540679.html

Car hoons will be penalised and humiliated under a NSW government initiative to wreck the vehicles of offenders and publish video footage of the destruction.

Mr Iemma said the plan to destroy hoons' cars would provide valuable controlled crash statistics, and footage of the destruction would be used as a deterrent to wannabe hoons, while also educating young drivers.

"The RTA will also use the unique tests to investigate the potential effects of certain modifications on overall crashworthiness.

"And we'll show the wrecks at education days for young drivers, or at other RTA presentations."

Offenders would have to be convicted of street racing before the vehicles could be destroyed.

Racing hoons face tougher penalties

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Racing-hoons-face-tougher-penalties/2007/12/04/1196530610209.html

Car hoons in NSW will face jail terms if they rack up more than one conviction for offences including dangerous driving and performing burnouts and doughnuts, the state government said.

Under the new laws fines for street racing and aggravated burnouts or doughnuts will be increased up to $3,300 and hoons can be stripped of their licences for up to 12 months.

Car owners and parents will also be punished if their car is the one used by the convicted driver.

600 cars confiscated under Qld hoon laws

http://news.smh.com.au/600-cars-confiscated-under-qld-hoon-laws/20080228-1vil.html

Nearly 600 drivers have had their cars confiscated under Queensland laws introduced nine months ago, including an Ipswich driver caught driving without a licence four times.

The laws, in effect in three south-east police districts, give police the power to impound cars for either 48 hours, three months, or indefinitely.

They will be rolled out statewide in July.

The laws can be used on drink-drivers, disqualified, unlicensed or unregistered drivers or on those whose cars have illegal modifications.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2008 at 2:01pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print