Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
The fallacy of multitasking (Read 3315 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

The fallacy of multitasking
Jun 23rd, 2007 at 9:55pm

Multitasking is portrayed as being a good thing by some. When in fact it is a bad practise.

People show more control and maturity when doing only one task at a time.
Till that single task is completely finished, or as much as can be done at that stage.
Then it is completely tidied up and put away. Task #2 is started.

Multitasking real jobs is less productive for everyone.
Managers from an early stage are taught to prioritise.
The most important task first, then the 2nd most important, ........

"Multitasking" leads to misinterperetations and errors. The right complete job is not done the first time.
Which means the job has to be done again. Everyones time and effort is wasted.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

oceans(Guest)

Re: The fallacy of multitasking
Reply #1 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 11:04pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 23rd, 2007 at 9:55pm:
Multitasking is portrayed as being a good thing by some. When in fact it is a bad practise.

Till that single task is completely finished, or as much as can be done at that stage.

"Multitasking" leads to misinterperetations and errors. The right complete job is not done the first time.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #2 - Jun 23rd, 2007 at 11:05pm

Quote:
Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 23rd, 2007 at 9:55pm:

you make some very good points here sprint

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 2:20pm

Did this come the 'battle of the sexes' discussion'? Multitasking is usually associated with women. As always, it depends on what job is being done. Some environments require a single minded focus on one problem, others require the ability to keep track of many issues at once. Research is usually associated with the former, business with the latter. Some people are advised to prioritise because they are incapable of multitasking effectively, not because multitasking is inherently bad. Serial prioritising is just a way of multitasking.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 9:25pm

I don't mean tasks as in "walking" and "breathing."
Tasks such as "taking a customers query" and "reading a file."
Some people try to do two things such as these simultaneously. The result is either a bad solution for the customer or the file being not understood. Or both.
Better to shut the file, stand and face the customer, resolve their problem entirely, then open the file and read it.

The human brain is like a computer, it only processes one task at a time. 
It can "time-share." ie, do a bit of this, then a bit of that, then a bit of this again. That is inefficeient. There is time and concentration lost in flipping from one task to the other. And time taken finding place to restart the initial task at.

Ever noticed that multitaskers are always busy. They like that feeling, they like being run off their feet and not having time to think.
They are also busy cause the have to redo many jobs and had unhappy customers.

How I lke it when I am wanting some service and the sales rep says, "Be with you in a sec, just finish this first." . I know when he is free, he will give me 100% of his concentration. He won't be thinking of the other 2 things he is multitasking on.  Invariably that query of mine is resolved very rapidly and fully.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #5 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 9:45pm

It seems your offended Sprint about my thread re men being unable to multitask..twas a bit of fun.

Anyway since you deemed to take it a bit further. I dont belive pple who can multitask are les capable or effective at thyre job.

In my thread I was referring to women with small chioldren a career and a home to run as multitaskers.they have to be and they are GOOD at it.

Was not being offensive to men..except those that may already feel inadequate > I think alll the men on this forum are very adequate.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 10:27am

There is time and concentration lost in flipping from one task to the other.

Mainly in people who cannot multitask. That's the whole point about women usually being better at multitasking. They can flip back and forth without wasting time. In a job that requires this (eg not holding up a customer while you finish your crossword puzzle) it is a huge asset. Trying to make someone who can't do it, do it, will result in inefficiency.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print