Send Topic Print
Pets..as Friends (Read 10557 times)
oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Pets..as Friends
Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:38pm

Relationships we have with pets.

Do you have a favourite or special pet..now or in your past.?

Here is a picture of my 3 legged cat..dog attack..

And I love her feral "mogginess."

Tell us a little about your pet  and any pictures would be welcome.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Re: Pets..as Friends
Reply #1 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 4:52pm

A little back ground about my cat..

She is now about 3-4 yrs old..we or rather she found us as young as Id say about 3 months old. She was being chased by a dog and scaled a huge gum out front of our house..we got her down and she was very excited to be rescued and fed..we tried to let her go on her way but she didnt want to leave.

About 2 and a hlf yrs ago she was playing with next doors dog..she put her paw under the tin fence ,she thought she was playing with next doors dogs paw, being a playful kitten.. instead he grabbed her front leg and tried to pull her under a 4 cm gap..he tore her limb away from her body ..we were doing a lot of screaming trying to get this dog to let go...and the owner came but not before so much damage was already done.  

She limped off with her left fron leg dangling, blood everywhere and she ran under the house and wouldnt come out. It was a very
hot day and we tried to coax her out..eventually she limped to over and allowed us to rescue her.

The vet attempted to do microsurgery and rejoin all the nerves and whilst miraculously she did get movement back..too many blood vesseles and circulatory had  damage had been one and her paw started to go rotten..

More surgery then to remove her leg. Then the wound got infected ..etc. It was nearly 3 months before she was beginning to get back to normal and start her new life 3 legged.She went thru a lot of pain, and was a model and very grateful patient even though some of the bathing of wounds etc were quite painful for her, she knew it had to be done. It made me tear up sometimes watching her adapt to being disabled. She was such a beautiful, alive and playful cat..and I didnt hink she,d be the same..but we are finding she,s coped very well and still can hunt,  and scale trees with ease. She used to be  feral after all and she still is.her essence hasnt changed at all. She growls at carsand the postie like a dog.

Before we found her..I never really had a lot of time for cats...but now they are my favourite pet.

A cat can take you or leave you, but if they take you, you have friend for life.
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2007 at 5:11pm by oceanz »  

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 5:01pm

She's lovely Oceans.  I used to keep 2 cats until a few years ago and they both died of old age - 17 & 16.  I won't keep them now because of the wildlife.

Here's a pic of Lori - she loves my daughter - hates me.

Lori_001.jpg (2 KB | 86 )
Lori_001.jpg

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #3 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 5:18pm

mantra wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 5:01pm:
She's lovely Oceans.  I used to keep 2 cats until a few years ago and they both died of old age - 17 & 16.  I won't keep them now because of the wildlife.

Here's a pic of Lori - she loves my daughter - hates me.

shes gorgeous mantra..very pretty colours. You have a lot of birds down your way?

Birds can be very fickle  about who they befriend ..we had a galah whos best friend was our black and white cat when we were kids and he used to steal her bones and pretend to eat them in front of her and did the same to the dog. very naughty and fickle bird.

Lori is very sweet.

thank you for sharing that.

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2007 at 5:36pm by oceanz »  

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 6:13pm

I just read your cat story Oceans - it was very touching.  Cats definitely have 9 lives.  It must have been horrible to see the condition she was in after having her leg torn off.  She is probably very cautious now about wandering too far from home.

She's also very lucky to have an owner like yourself willing to nurse her back to health as well as cope with those enormous vet bills.  

That's the only worry with cats, they are impossible to watch 24/7 - they love to wander.

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 6:33pm

Ive got two German Shepherds. One is blonde (sharlee), very intelligent and affectionate, and the other is darker (tammy), Stern but affectionate. They are sisters and are 9 yrs old.
They are my faithful best friends in the world.

Hey mantra- lookin nice! Smiley your daughter look like you? Kiss

Does your bird bob its head up and down and tap things with its beak? My mate has one.
i think its cool when they do that.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #6 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 6:53pm

Ausnat wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 6:33pm:
Ive got two German Shepherds. One is blonde (sharlee), very intelligent and affectionate, and the other is darker (tammy), Stern but affectionate. They are sisters and are 9 yrs old.
They are my faithful best friends in the world.

Hey mantra- lookin nice! Smiley your daughter look like you? Kiss

Does your bird bob its head up and down and tap things with its beak? My mate has one.
i think its cool when they do that.

Hi Aussie..

Are dogs this big easy to mangage ?..do you live in the country..exercise I guess Im thinking.

I think German Sheperds are beautiful looking dogs.

I used to be a bit scared of them though....for some reason. I dont know why because they are not a vicious breed .

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 7:00pm

Quote:
Hi Aussie..

Are dogs this big easy to mangage ?..do you live in the country..exercise I guess Im thinking.

I think German Sheperds are beautiful looking dogs.

I used to be a bit scared of them though....for some reason. I dont know why because they are not a vicious breed .

Very easy to manage. I live in the suburbs,but we have a huuuuge back yard as we were here before the developers came along.
They are not a vicious breed, only if you are attacked or you raised them incorrectly will they become VERY dangerous. I raised them with discipline, and mainly to be pets not army dogs.

So how was your weekend oceans?

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #8 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 7:04pm

Thats strange isnt it AN..on TV they are portayed as guard dogs etc...but they seemed fairly placid to me. Its good you have plenty of space for them.

Its very cold here as it is everywhere  and have been nursing a-kids, dose of flu/cold..but apart from that good..watched a few movies etc and studied for an exam which is due tomorrow.. And you?
« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2007 at 7:11pm by oceanz »  

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 7:13pm

oceanz wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 7:04pm:
Thats strange isnt it AN..on TV they are portayed as guard dogs etc...but they seemed fairly placid to me. Its good you have plenty of space for them.

Its very cold here as it is everywhere  and have been nursing sick kids mostly with dose of flu/cold..but apart from that good..watched a few movies etc and studied for an exam which is due tomorrow.. And you?

Ive got work at a buddhist temple! Shocked
NEVER believe in what Television tells you.
This weekend, i slept all saturday, and today i worked (volunteered) at my local steam train museum.
One of my mates is a railway nut!

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #10 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 7:16pm

Ausnat wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 7:13pm:
oceanz wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 7:04pm:

Its very cold here as it is everywhere  and have been nursing sick kids mostly with dose of flu/cold..but apart from that good..watched a few movies etc and studied for an exam which is due tomorrow.. And you?

Ive got work at a buddhist temple! Shocked
NEVER believe in what Television tells you.
This weekend, i slept all saturday, and today i worked (volunteered) at my local steam train museum.
One of my mates is a railway nut!

Buddahist temple..how did you score that one?

Sounds like a great experience..a real Buddist temple.

Steam Train station ..mmm you are a versatile man I see with eclectic and varied interests..very interestink!! Wink

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 7:33pm

Quote:
Buddahist temple..how did you score that one?

Contract to re-landscape garden.

Quote:
Sounds like a great experience..a real Buddist temple.

Absolutely! i look forward to it.

Quote:
Steam Train station ..mmm you are a versatile man I see with eclectic and varied interests..very interestink!! Wink

Yep, Versatile Smiley im interested in almost anything.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #12 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 7:49pm

mantra wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 6:13pm:
I just read your cat story Oceans - it was very touching.  Cats definitely have 9 lives.  It must have been horrible to see the condition she was in after having her leg torn off.  She is probably very cautious now about wandering too far from home.

She's also very lucky to have an owner like yourself willing to nurse her back to health as well as cope with those enormous vet bills.  

That's the only worry with cats, they are impossible to watch 24/7 - they love to wander.

Yes,

Cats will be cats Mantra, and she was very wary for the first couple of years. Now shes becoming more daring, which worries me. Contemplating a very large cat cage..she cant defend herself these days if attacked by a cat or dog.

We take her inside in the  late afternoon..its a worry still.

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2007 at 8:54pm by oceanz »  

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #13 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 8:48am

Oceans - a large cat cage might sound practical - but the cat would be too frustrated.  You could make a big run with chicken wire - although that would be hard and probably expensive.  Another alternative is hormones from the vet - even for a little while.  They can tame an animal down.  But I wouldn't worry too much, cats are very smart and she would know her limitations.  She's getting older, so eventually she'll slow down.

Aus Nat. - I love German Shepherds and used to have a massive cross Belgian.  With the right training they are beautiful dogs and you know that you are safe from intruders when they're around.  One night I heard someone climb over my back gate obviously not realising that "Dodger" was waiting.  The intruder & Dodger started running at the same time & this bloke high jumped my 5' gate in a split second.  He would have broken a record.

Quote:
Hey mantra- lookin nice!  your daughter look like you?  

Ha ha - that's very funny - that was my gorgeous daughter - my profile isn't quite so well defined these days.    Cry.   If Lori had been sitting on my shoulder, she would have bitten my ear lobe off.

This is my lovely Dodger, who sadly died a couple of years ago from Cancer with his little Shadow who we also lost recently.

« Last Edit: Jun 18th, 2007 at 8:55am by mantra »  

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Jun 18th, 2007 at 2:42pm

Quote:
Ha ha - that's very funny - that was my gorgeous daughter

Cool Cool Cool Cool Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss Kiss
Is she single? Kiss Kiss

Quote:
This is my lovely Dodger, who sadly died a couple of years ago from Cancer with his little Shadow who we also lost recently.

Such nice doggies. Smiley  Sorry to hear they are no-longer with us. Cry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print