Send Topic Print
urban sprawl (Read 9783 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
urban sprawl
Jun 15th, 2007 at 5:37pm

An article about an American (of course) arguing that urban sprawl is a good thing and leads to a higher quality of life:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Urban-consolidation-will-hurt-Aussies/2007/06/15/1181414531317.html

Limiting suburban growth around cities is threatening the lifestyle of Australians, an American expert says.

Controversial urban planner and demographer Wendell Cox, who is based in St Louis, Missouri, is urging Australian governments to radically overhaul plans to control future population growth through urban consolidation.

Mr Cox said moves to combat urban sprawl were making housing less affordable and creating heavily congested and polluted areas that offered less desirable lifestyles.

Mr Cox said fears about suburbanisation ruining green space were flawed, considering 99.7 per cent of Australia was not urbanised.

"I'm not suggesting we have a free-for-all ... there are all sorts of places you would want to protect from development," he said.

"But generally you want to allow development to occur in a lot of places and let the market determine where it's going to occur.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Re: urban sprawl
Reply #1 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 5:48pm

What a bloody moron. THIS IS NOT AMERICA. Australians love their space, they dont want to be crowded in like sardines.

I cant believe he said that, look at chicago, New york etc...  SLUMS.

We are different people to Americans.

They have stuck their noses in before- Booz/hamilton.  They destroyed the NSW Railways.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 6:48pm

Ausnat wrote on Jun 15th, 2007 at 5:48pm:
What a bloody moron. THIS IS NOT AMERICA. Australians love their space, they dont want to be crowded in like sardines.

I cant believe he said that, look at chicago, New york etc...  SLUMS.

They have stuck their noses in before- Booz/hamilton.  They destroyed the NSW Railways.

You might want to re-read FD's post AN. He advocates space ie do not over-restrict urban sprawl. I'm inclined to agree with him. The load needs to be spread.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #3 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 6:52pm

Ausnat wrote on Jun 15th, 2007 at 5:48pm:

I cant believe he said that, look at chicago, New york etc...  SLUMS.

They have stuck their noses in before- Booz/hamilton.  They destroyed the NSW Railways.

Thats absurd..I agree with you Aussie. Wink

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 7:03pm

So you didn't read it either?  Wink Wink Wink

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #5 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 7:32pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Jun 15th, 2007 at 7:03pm:
So you didn't read it either?  Wink Wink Wink

So i cant have my own opinion, if it doesnt agree with yours ? Shocked

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Jun 15th, 2007 at 7:49pm

Ewe can have your own opinion, but your opinion wasn't your own...ewe just agreed with what AN wrote, and he misread the original post.

That is baa...baaa...baaad

Cheesy

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #7 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 1:07pm

take it easy you dont have to criticise everything oceans says.

i am a much better target.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #8 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 1:39pm

Classic Liberal wrote on Jun 16th, 2007 at 1:07pm:
take it easy you dont have to criticise everything oceans says.

i am a much better target.

thank you pender Smiley

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 2:11pm

There is  nowhere left to spread around our major cities.  Already we have cut into our national forests, mountains, eliminated parks and torn up farmland.

Instead of everyone wanting to hover around cities and the coast, we really need to move more industry into the country with good incentives to encourage people and professionals to move there. 

Country towns are desperate for more people and productivity.

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #10 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 2:37pm

mantra wrote on Jun 16th, 2007 at 2:11pm:
There is  nowhere left to spread around our major cities.  Already we have cut into our national forests, mountains, eliminated parks and torn up farmland.

Instead of everyone wanting to hover around cities and the coast, we really need to move more industry into the country with good incentives to encourage people and professionals to move there.  

Exactly right Mantra- that is the basis of my point IQ.

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #11 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 4:24pm

if the governemnt based more of its companies out in the country that would be a start.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
NSW city country divide widening: Stoner
Reply #12 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 4:39pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/NSW-city-country-divide-widening-Stoner/2007/06/16/1181414597039.html

NSW is at risk of becoming a two-tiered society where Sydneysiders relate more to those in London and New York than they do to their country cousins in Dubbo or Ballina, NSW Nationals Leader Andrew Stoner warns.

Mr Stoner said globalisation and the global economy had increased the divide between the city and country in a way that could undermine social cohesion.

His comments came during his address to the Nationals state conference in Singleton, where in a first for the party, time was set aside for an information session and discussion on climate change.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 9:43pm

There is  nowhere left to spread around our major cities.  Already we have cut into our national forests, mountains, eliminated parks and torn up farmland.

We have one of the most sparsely populated countries coupled to an extremely large coastline, there is plenty of room to move...it's just that self interest and environmental groups like to block development by invoking the NIMBY clause and wrap it in a feel good environmental perspective to garner support.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 9:49pm

When it comes to town planning, I really don't care that there is miles and miles barely inhabited desert in the inland. I want green space in the cities. I want cities that are planned properly around public transport and other infrastructure. The best example of Cox's town planning philosophy is Los Angeles. Trust me, you don't want our cities ending up like that.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #15 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 9:55pm

Classic Liberal wrote on Jun 16th, 2007 at 4:24pm:
if the governemnt based more of its companies out in the country that would be a start.

this is right pender , as Australias overall populations grow we will have to consider moving into the country..like it or not. But then I guess water will largely  dictate where that will be.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #16 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 10:24pm

Instead of everyone wanting to hover around cities and the coast, we really need to move more industry into the country

Into the national forests, mountains, 'eliminated' parks and torn up farmlands????

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #17 - Jun 16th, 2007 at 10:28pm

there is always room in arnem land

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #18 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:09am

IQSRLOW wrote on Jun 16th, 2007 at 10:24pm:
There is  nowhere left to spread around our major cities.  Already we have cut into our national forests, mountains, eliminated parks and torn up farmland.

Instead of everyone wanting to hover around cities and the coast, we really need to move more industry into the country

Into the national forests, mountains, 'eliminated' parks and torn up farmlands????

whats not to understand..? reads very clearly .

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 10:36am

I must have missed the memo that states 'national forests, mountains, 'eliminated' parks and torn up farmlands' are the sole domain of  major cities'

NIMBY Urban eco-warriors Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes The greening of the world by taking the path of least understanding  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #20 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 10:39am

IQSRLOW wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 10:36am:
I must have missed the memo that states 'national forests, mountains, 'eliminated' parks and torn up farmlands' are the sole domain of  major cities'

NIMBY Urban eco-warriors Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes The greening of the world by taking the path of least understanding  Roll Eyes

IQ ,

Come again, didnt quite catch that...I do believe ,again, your just churning out generalised bullshit.

« Last Edit: Jun 17th, 2007 at 10:45am by oceanz »  

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 10:51am

Why am I not surprised  Roll Eyes

The space above your head should be declared a flight path. Everything just goes straight over it.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #22 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:02am

IQSRLOW wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 10:51am:
Why am I not surprised  Roll Eyes

The space above your head should be declared a flight path. Everything just goes straight over it.

slipping

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #23 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:52am

Quote:
There is nowhere left to spread around our major cities. Already we have cut into our national forests, mountains, eliminated parks and torn up farmland.

Yes IQ - why would you even need that explained?  There have been ongoing battles for years with the NSW government and quite a few with the Commonwealth over the encroachment by developers into land that should have been permanently protected.

Farms in the outlying areas of Sydney have been subdivided and sold off to developers, mountains (there's one at the end of my street) which Council told residents would never be developed is covered in new houses.  This is going on everywhere.

Public parks have disappeared in many areas to accommodate housing and the recent controversy in regard to the development of land in Western Sydney for new homes made news for months.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:57am

All caused by NIMBY attitudes

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #25 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:03pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:57am:

well if you follow this link IQ..there is a person on the other end who can expalin that to you      mellister@gmail.com.

Go ahead, it will all make sense to you then. Wink

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #26 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:04pm

oceanz wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:03pm:
IQSRLOW wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 11:57am:

well if you follow this link IQ..there is a person on the other end who can explain that to you      mellister@gmail.com.

Go ahead, it will all make sense to you then. Wink

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #27 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:05pm

Still haven't mastered this intardweb thingy have you  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #28 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:06pm

IQSRLOW wrote on Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:05pm:
Still haven't mastered this intardweb thingy have you  Roll Eyes

very evasive...telling I have to say.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #29 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:12pm

Being evasive would require you to ask an intelligent question and you have fulfilled neither requirement of intelligent or question.

I don't expect this will change any time soon given your track record of idiocy and paranoia combined

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #30 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:43pm

Many people buy a house because of green space within walking distance. If local councils change the rules and subdivide what was previously understood to be permanent green space, those people get ripped off. The developer makes a killing, but the surrounding neighbourhood is worse off.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:52pm

Some people buy country property for those very same reasons.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:55pm

Most of us have to make do with shared green space and can't afford to own our own. That doesn't mean we should have to make do with no green space. Sharing green space usually results in a much smaller ecological footprint.

IP Logged

zoso (Guest)

Reply #33 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 11:23am

freediver wrote on Jun 16th, 2007 at 9:49pm:
When it comes to town planning, I really don't care that there is miles and miles barely inhabited desert in the inland. I want green space in the cities. I want cities that are planned properly around public transport and other infrastructure. The best example of Cox's town planning philosophy is Los Angeles. Trust me, you don't want our cities ending up like that.

Right on! There actually is plenty of space though, its just not in the capitals! If people in this country looked beyond the capital cities they would find loads of suburban space in the regional centres which are all crying out for population. I think the thrust of the state government plan to limit sprawl is to force people out into the regional cities, making them into real cities as they should be. As a nation we are far too focused on the 7 capitals.

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 2:44pm

Quote:
Right on! There actually is plenty of space though, its just not in the capitals! If people in this country looked beyond the capital cities they would find loads of suburban space in the regional centres which are all crying out for population. I think the thrust of the state government plan to limit sprawl is to force people out into the regional cities, making them into real cities as they should be. As a nation we are far too focused on the 7 capitals.

Exactly right. Good call.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print