Send Topic Print
urban sprawl (Read 9894 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: urban sprawl
Reply #30 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:43pm

Many people buy a house because of green space within walking distance. If local councils change the rules and subdivide what was previously understood to be permanent green space, those people get ripped off. The developer makes a killing, but the surrounding neighbourhood is worse off.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #31 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:52pm

Some people buy country property for those very same reasons.

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Jun 17th, 2007 at 12:55pm

Most of us have to make do with shared green space and can't afford to own our own. That doesn't mean we should have to make do with no green space. Sharing green space usually results in a much smaller ecological footprint.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

zoso (Guest)

Reply #33 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 11:23am

freediver wrote on Jun 16th, 2007 at 9:49pm:
When it comes to town planning, I really don't care that there is miles and miles barely inhabited desert in the inland. I want green space in the cities. I want cities that are planned properly around public transport and other infrastructure. The best example of Cox's town planning philosophy is Los Angeles. Trust me, you don't want our cities ending up like that.

Right on! There actually is plenty of space though, its just not in the capitals! If people in this country looked beyond the capital cities they would find loads of suburban space in the regional centres which are all crying out for population. I think the thrust of the state government plan to limit sprawl is to force people out into the regional cities, making them into real cities as they should be. As a nation we are far too focused on the 7 capitals.

IP Logged

AusNat
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Jun 19th, 2007 at 2:44pm

Quote:
Right on! There actually is plenty of space though, its just not in the capitals! If people in this country looked beyond the capital cities they would find loads of suburban space in the regional centres which are all crying out for population. I think the thrust of the state government plan to limit sprawl is to force people out into the regional cities, making them into real cities as they should be. As a nation we are far too focused on the 7 capitals.

Exactly right. Good call.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print