Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Microsoft attacks open source people (Read 3234 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Microsoft attacks open source people
May 16th, 2007 at 10:13am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Opensource-violates-patents-Microsoft/2007/05/16/1178995197119.html

Microsoft Corp has made its broadest challenge to date against open-source software, including Windows rival Linux, claiming that such programs violate 235 Microsoft patents and saying it will seek licence fees.

The world's largest software maker said that various open-source packages violate patents it holds in areas related to graphical user interface, email programs and other technology.

"The real question is not whether there exist substantial patent infringement issues, but what to do about them," said Horacio Gutierrez, Microsoft vice president of intellectual property and licensing in a statement.

While dozens of versions of the Linux operating system are available for free download, Red Hat Inc and Novell Inc develop and sell versions of Linux used to run servers and mainframe computers in corporate data centres.

Last year Microsoft signed a marketing, technology and patent agreement with Novell, saying it wants to enter into similar pacts with other open-source software companies.

That agreement, which includes a clause that Microsoft will not sue Novell's Linux customers, incensed the community of open-source software developers, because they said Microsoft would use it to back claims that its intellectual property is being violated by code in Linux and other open source software.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Lucyness

OzPolitic

Re: Microsoft attacks open source people
Reply #1 - May 30th, 2007 at 1:42am

Yeah, standard stuff for Microsoft. Apparently they are real pains to work for.

What they fail to realise is that people will boycott Microsoft if it goes ahead. I use Linux simply because everything runs faster on my computer without all the crap windows has.

And if they really want a challenge, they should be suing Apple Mac.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - May 30th, 2007 at 9:47am

A guy I went to Uni with started working for microsoft, getting paid a fortune. Apparently the conditions are pretty good, as you would expect in that situation.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #3 - Nov 30th, 2019 at 10:40pm

Google nearly bought that spot where the derelict Pyrmont Power Station was as their Australian HQ.
But, then Australia got greedy and upped the price.
Google said "Google off!"

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Setanta
Gold Member

\/ Peace man!

Northern NSW
Reply #4 - Dec 1st, 2019 at 4:30am

freediver wrote on May 16th, 2007 at 10:13am:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Opensource-violates-patents-Microsoft/2007/05/16/1178995197119.html

Microsoft Corp has made its broadest challenge to date against open-source software, including Windows rival Linux, claiming that such programs violate 235 Microsoft patents and saying it will seek licence fees.

The world's largest software maker said that various open-source packages violate patents it holds in areas related to graphical user interface, email programs and other technology.

"The real question is not whether there exist substantial patent infringement issues, but what to do about them," said Horacio Gutierrez, Microsoft vice president of intellectual property and licensing in a statement.

While dozens of versions of the Linux operating system are available for free download, Red Hat Inc and Novell Inc develop and sell versions of Linux used to run servers and mainframe computers in corporate data centres.

Last year Microsoft signed a marketing, technology and patent agreement with Novell, saying it wants to enter into similar pacts with other open-source software companies.

That agreement, which includes a clause that Microsoft will not sue Novell's Linux customers, incensed the community of open-source software developers, because they said Microsoft would use it to back claims that its intellectual property is being violated by code in Linux and other open source software.

Not to mention Microsofts TCP/IP stack was BSD code and even contained the License, yeah it's free to use but it's hypocrisy to do so when they behave like they do. I guess they have got around that by now and rewritten it.

It won't win this on merit and I won't make me use MS software. I used OS/2 before moving to Debian GNU/Linux in 1996.

Things that "work" with windows like Samba, the opensource implementation of Microsoft's SMB were built from scratch. People like Andrew Tridgell from ANU  built it.

MS has had this Opensource love/hate relationship for as long as I can remember. Many of their own web servers used to run Apache back in the day they needed things to run right and their HTTP server wasn't up to the job. It's kinda like an abusive relationship.
« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2019 at 4:55am by Setanta »  

IP Logged

random
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Dec 18th, 2019 at 5:03pm

Microsoft are bottom feeders.  Masters of mediocrity.

But rich MS claiming anything about user interface infringements.  They ripped off Apple biggly.

While Apple were producing truely great products, I installed Windows Ver 1.0 .   It consumed most of the 640K RAM available at the time, then presented icons to click on with the mouse, that then ran DOS programs as usual.  Problem is that some would not run because there was not enough RAM left.

Not a lot has changed.  Windows 7 was half decent, then they went into a death spiral again.  Bloated shite.

So many farkwits, so little time.

IP Logged

wombatwoody
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wombat  NSW
Reply #6 - Dec 24th, 2019 at 10:09pm

"The world's largest software maker said that various open-source packages violate patents it holds in areas related to graphical user interface, email programs and other technology."

Bill Gates, The Pirate of Silicon Valley.

The Bible is our charter - David Ben-Gurion

Genesis 15:18 : To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt to the River Euphrates.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Dec 25th, 2019 at 7:24am

The Internet serves North America, South America & Sahul (Aust, etc) far better than the Media does ...who only serves Africa, Asia, Europe - from its Oceanic Home-base.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

wombatwoody
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Wombat  NSW
Reply #8 - Dec 27th, 2019 at 8:43pm

random wrote on Dec 18th, 2019 at 5:03pm:
Not a lot has changed.  Windows 7 was half decent, then they went into a death spiral again.  Bloated shite.

A great saying from the 90s:

The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck, is the day they start making vacuum cleaners.

The Bible is our charter - David Ben-Gurion

Genesis 15:18 : To your descendants I have given this land, from the river of Egypt to the River Euphrates.

IP Logged

polite_gandalf
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #9 - Jan 2nd, 2020 at 2:34pm

patents are a roadblock for innovation. They should be abolished.

A resident Islam critic who claims to represent western values said:
Quote:
Outlawing the enemy's uniform - hijab, islamic beard - is not depriving one's own people of their freedoms.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Jan 2nd, 2020 at 4:26pm

polite_gandalf wrote on Jan 2nd, 2020 at 2:34pm:
patents are a roadblock for innovation. They should be abolished.

Is that something to do with Islam?

Patents are a roadblock to profiteering thieves. Not long ago there was that small Aussie company trying to make a quid that took on a Chinese mob in China and the Aussies won. The Chinese were ordered to stop making the product

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Yadda
Gold Member

A cat with a view
Reply #11 - Jan 2nd, 2020 at 4:59pm

I agree with Bias_2012.

I do like free stuff.  !!!

But i don't like monopolies who unfairly and unscrupulously, seek to stifle competitors.

But i do believe that IP should be fairly protected.

Mmmm, i'm very well rounded.           Wink              Tongue

"....And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead."
Luke 16:31

IP Logged

Ayn Marx
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South of Australia
Reply #12 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 9:23am

Lucyness wrote on May 30th, 2007 at 1:42am:

Do you really think they’d get anywhere?

The Human Race is Insane

IP Logged

Carl D
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Rivervale, Perth
Reply #13 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 6:17pm

Ayn Marx wrote on Jan 3rd, 2020 at 9:23am:
Lucyness wrote on May 30th, 2007 at 1:42am:

Do you really think they’d get anywhere?

You probably won't get an answer to your question - 'Lucyness' hasn't been online here since June 3rd, 2007.

This is just another one of the ancient threads (usually started by freediver) that .JaSin. likes to dig up from time to time.

Speaking of .JaSin. - anyone seen him lately? Is he on "holiday" again? Cool

"Masks are sand in the gears of the economy" - some f-wit pollie or big business CEO.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Jan 3rd, 2020 at 6:38pm

Jas was s.h.i.t canned for using the 'pedo' card.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print