Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
tenants should pay water bills (Read 4058 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
tenants should pay water bills
May 12th, 2007 at 10:38am

Given the drought we are currently facing, it is time to start making tenants pay for their water bills. At the moment the bill gets sent to the landlord. This is absurd, as the tenants never even find out how much water they use. Not making the person who uses a resource pay for it guarantees that it will be wasted. Tenants already pay the electricity bill and no-one would expect them to get it for free. Why should water be any different?

It will not disadvantage tenants as they currently pay for it anyway. It's just that at the moment landlords try to factor into the rent what an average tenant will use in water - an average tenant who is not concerned with what the water bill actually is.

They should only be sent that part of the bill that covers the water consumed. At the moment water bills are split into two parts, one to pay for the physical connection and ne for the water used. The bill for the connection should still be paid by the landlord.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: tenants should pay water bills
Reply #1 - May 12th, 2007 at 3:01pm

I am a tenant and I pay my water bills.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - May 12th, 2007 at 3:28pm

Is it a special clause in your tenancy contract?

IP Logged

sense(Guest)

Reply #3 - May 12th, 2007 at 7:50pm

Of course tenents should pay for water usage. The reason they don't (by law in QLD at least) is another example of government interference in what should be a private contract between consenting adults.

IP Logged

Harry Hubert(Guest)

Reply #4 - May 13th, 2007 at 7:06am

In NSW I understand tenants pay the usage.

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - May 13th, 2007 at 1:07pm

freediver wrote on May 12th, 2007 at 3:28pm:
Is it a special clause in your tenancy contract?

It's in the agreement, I wouldn't call it a 'special' clause...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Qld renters to be charged for water use
Reply #6 - Oct 15th, 2007 at 7:11pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Qld-renters-to-be-charged-for-water-use/2007/10/15/1192300674360.html

Landlords will be able to charge tenants for their water use under legislation to be introduced to Queensland parliament this week, Premier Anna Bligh says.

Cabinet approved a number of legislative changes dealing with water that will be introduced to parliament this week, and be passed by the end of the year.

Among the changes are new measures aimed at making renters more accountable for their water use, and the banning of any council charges being applied to water from residential rainwater tanks.

The laws will allow landlords who have installed water saving devices - such as dual flush toilets and low-flow shower heads - in their rental properties to have individual meters installed to monitor their tenants' water use.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print