Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Government goes online for $42 million (Read 1868 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Government goes online for $42 million
May 3rd, 2007 at 9:09am

Govt spends $42m upgrading its website

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Govt-spends-42m-upgrading-its-website/2007/05/03/1177788255624.html

The federal government will spend $42 million upgrading its website so that internet users can create personalised accounts.

The changes, announced in Sydney by Special Minister of State Gary Nairn, will allow users to create an account and log in to australia.gov.au to access federal government services.

"This initiative will put Australia at the forefront of international e-government development," Mr Nairn said.

The changes will not be implemented on the website until December 2008.

Mr Nairn said the overhaul was in response to feedback from internet users who found it frustrating and time-consuming having to repeatedly enter personal information to access government services.

The government has moved recently to delete references to "federal government" in its literature, preferring instead to use the softer sounding "Australian government".

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Government goes online for $42 million
Reply #1 - May 3rd, 2007 at 9:47am

What a waste of money - although the Federal Government Website would have to be one of the worst websites you could access.  Surely with all the staff and resources at their fingertips someone with brains could have done a better job without going to this expense.

After trying to access certain areas on quite a few occasions, I just came to the conclusion that there was no information available in those areas.  The related links came up, but they just referred you back to where you had come from - or else the page was a blank with no information.

It sounds as though it was never completed in the first place.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print