Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
after climate and water? (Read 6280 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
after climate and water?
May 2nd, 2007 at 4:00pm

Suppose that in 50 years time we are getting all of our energy from solar, wind, hydro and other renewables and most of our water from desalination and recycling. Electricity and food would be more expensive, but probably not prohibitive. What then would limit our population growth? Is it simply not feasible to support large scale agriculture from water that is desalinated and pumped inland using renewable energy sources?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: after climate and water?
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2007 at 4:17pm

Hopefully by the time we are fully reliant on green energy, we will have chooks in the backyard and a vegetable garden and water supplied by our tanks.

I would say that our population would increase, as some of our high energy habits would be reduced, leaving us with the more basics of life.

But we can't afford to let agriculture diminish any further in Australia.   There is no guarantee that disease or war won't ravage those countries who export large quantities of produce to us.

If we ever become isolated we need to be self sufficient.

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2007 at 6:58pm

Nutrient losses are the next big issue (ie desertification), that and farming practices in general. Currently we use some 1.5kJ of energy to produce 1kJ of energy in the form of food. Those numbers do not add up. Furthermore, we ignore the natural means by which nutrient and trace elements are delivered to plants through the decomposition process and bacterial activity in general. Instead we manufacture nutrients and trace elements in factories at high energy consumption and inject them directly into the soil where they only wash away since there is no biological activity to sustain them.

Arable land will run out, we (stupid as we are) will likely cut down more forests to create more land, thus accelerating the losses of topsoil through erosion, decreasing rainfall, decreasing biodiversity and so on. Arable land will be the next big ticket item.

Buy organic wherever you can, grow your own food if you can, or at least find a local farmers market and find the organic grocers. Again, costs will be higher, but this is reality. Burning 50% more energy than we can produce in the form of food is not sustainable.

I predict that this issue will hit us sooner than you think, perhaps 5-10 years from now. I accurately predicted the current water crisis some 4 years ago too Wink (not that it was hard to see...but people are stupid!)

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2007 at 7:05pm

mantra wrote on May 2nd, 2007 at 4:17pm:
But we can't afford to let agriculture diminish any further in Australia.   There is no guarantee that disease or war won't ravage those countries who export large quantities of produce to us.

Australia is one of a very small number of countries that is a net exporter of food, together with the US and Europe (from memory). You may see a lot of imported food on the shelves but that does not mean we are dependant on it.

Oh and expect our agricultural output to diminish significantly, rapidly and soon. We, as a nation, are a nation of idiots when it comes to farming. Australia is the most barren and nutrient poor continent on earth, and we have continued with more or less unchanged farming practices developed in extremely nutrient rich areas. We have taken a degraded land and degraded it further, in a REALLY BAD way, and VERY RAPIDLY.

There needs to be a complete shift in paradigm if we are to survive the next 50 years I think. Water is just the tip of the iceberg!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2007 at 10:49am

maybe our social respopnsibility will tend for us to not increase.
Birth rates are dropping.

Yes, I could well see problems with the farming methods we use.  Sooner rahter than later too.

Permaculture works. Imagine if the councils planted fruting tees instead of nonproductive one s ?

The chooks in my old permaculture garden were perfect. They loved it and looked right.

My brother on Mt Mee has water tanks, they have had the water truck up once in 6 years. 
No drain on the "system" at all

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2007 at 5:02pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on May 3rd, 2007 at 10:49am:
maybe our social respopnsibility will tend for us to not increase.
Birth rates are dropping.

One can only hope!

Quote:
Permaculture works. Imagine if the councils planted fruting tees instead of nonproductive one s ?

The council where I live (lismore) does this, its a really good idea!

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2007 at 6:28pm

Zoso - what a great council !
Was a permaculture idea I read about. Good on them

Sort of a "can't lose" move they have done, as I see it.
They were going to plant trees anyway.
If these ones don't produce, so what, the others sure would never !

had councils planted fruiting trrees 20 years ago, imagine the streets/parks now

I am SUCH a dreamer - love it

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #7 - May 4th, 2007 at 6:41pm

Lismore is a great council. Fruit trees in the parks, veggies in the gardens in the parks. A good mate of mine is setting up a series of community gardens too that will also be work for the dole places where the dole workers get tafe certification. They also have a red/yellow green bin system (rubbish, recycling and green waste) all green waste is composted at the tip and then sold back to the public at a very low figure. We also have a waste water treatment facility which treats our sewage and puts the recycled water back into the local dam. The nimbin energy centre is one of the biggest suppliers of renewable energy solutions around too, with some  $300k worth of solar cells on the roof they actually profit from putting power back into the grid!

There may be smelly hippies around but jeeze there is some great stuff happening up in this corner of the world Smiley

IP Logged

oceans_blue
Ex Member

Reply #8 - May 5th, 2007 at 12:20pm

ABC a couple nights ago and Scientists according to this report are now saying that it is not to late OR too costly to curb global warming. China is fast becoming the worlds biggest polluter and the Government is still divvying up who did what when and why.With the immense amount of emmissions being produced by China if we dont get them to get on board soon, every effort will fail, as they produce, or will, twice as much as other developing countries, including us the US and India put together.

The Scientists believe the worlds economies can afford to tackle climate change and that ity is not too late to halt the damage if we start NOW!!!!

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2007 at 1:39pm

In 2003, the US was emitting 20 tonnes of CO2 per person, per year (Australia is something similar), China was emitting 2.7 tonnes per person per year... So please, lets be fair about this, China has 1/6th of the worlds population, they can be emitting a whole lot more CO2 than the US in total, and still the average chinese will be living quite the humble existence.

It is the first world countries that need to curb emissions, stop looking at everyone else and start looking at your own lifestyle.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
China warns on spreading deserts threat
Reply #10 - May 7th, 2007 at 11:42am

I agree. We need to get the Australian government on board before we can start looking overseas. China is using Australia as an excuse not to do any more to curb emissions, which is entirely fair. They have already done more than us.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/China-warns-on-spreading-deserts-threat/2007/07/12/1183833690235.html

Spreading deserts are the main environmental challenge holding back China's sustainable development and the situation remains serious despite some improvements, the government said.

Deserts, which cover a fifth of China, are spreading on the upper reaches of the Yellow River, on the Qinghai-Tibet plateau and parts of Inner Mongolia and Gansu, the forestry ministry said in a statement on its website.

"Experts say that the series of anti-desertification measures our country has taken has obtained obvious results, which have had an important effect on improving people's livelihood," it said.

"But at present the anti-desertification situation remains serious, and is still the main ecological problem which restricts our sustainable socio-economic development," the ministry added.

"Stepping up control efforts is of the utmost urgency."
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2007 at 12:27pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Oct 17th, 2019 at 9:52pm

Isn't it interesting what we thought, 10+ years ago, here on this Forum.
I love looking back.
(You must remember this...)

But, with the Sci-Fi writers of the Golden Age back in the 50's being 80% spot on, it makes one wonder about the 'Predictability Factor' of a Society that is imprisoned to a destiny that it can't escape from anyway.  Wink

I love being a 'Day Ahead' Australian,
more than a 'Down Under' one.  Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Bobby.

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #12 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 4:27am

Thanks Jasin - it is interesting to look back.

The changes are:
a huge uptake of solar cells on the roofs of houses &
much higher energy prices.

IP Logged

BigP
Gold Member

Australian Politics

West Auckland
Reply #13 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 12:07pm

I hear they will be renaming Australia , to Adustbowl lol

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 12:17pm

zoso wrote on May 5th, 2007 at 1:39pm:
In 2003, the US was emitting 20 tonnes of CO2 per person, per year (Australia is something similar), China was emitting 2.7 tonnes per person per year... So please, lets be fair about this, China has 1/6th of the worlds population, they can be emitting a whole lot more CO2 than the US in total, and still the average chinese will be living quite the humble existence.

It is the first world countries that need to curb emissions, stop looking at everyone else and start looking at your own lifestyle.

Another ones of those people who prefer to look at per capita emissions instead of total emissions. Roll Eyes

Australia is a net carbon dioxide sink, something that (some) other countries are trying to achieve.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #15 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 12:25pm

BigP wrote on Oct 18th, 2019 at 12:07pm:
I hear they will be renaming Australia , to Adustbowl lol

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Oct 18th, 2019 at 5:58pm

I honestly think 'Forests, Jungles, etc' will be a thing of the past soon.
Maybe in little contained 'Parks & Reserves' where you can hike to any edge of them in a day.

Strange how we cover the most fertile areas with cement and tar.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #17 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 10:12am

Jasin wrote on Oct 18th, 2019 at 5:58pm:

For once you make a valid point.

Sydney and Melbourne were both established in (comparatively) fertile areas. Suburban sprawl is swallowing up all the areas that once were farms and market gardens.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #18 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 10:46am

lee wrote on Oct 18th, 2019 at 12:17pm:
Australia is a net carbon dioxide sink, something that (some) other countries are trying to achieve.

No it isn't
Grin

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 11:18am

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 19th, 2019 at 10:46am:
No it isn't

Well then show me where I am wrong.

I can show satellite derived images or I can let you do the calculations from our chief scientist.

The only reason that Australia does not show our net sink status more widely is that our forests were not included as per Kyoto  Protocol and have never subsequently been added. We were given a notional carbon status.

You like to make claims. You never follow them up to show you are correct. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #20 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 11:37am

lee wrote on Oct 19th, 2019 at 11:18am:
The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 19th, 2019 at 10:46am:
lee wrote on Oct 18th, 2019 at 12:17pm:

No it isn't
Grin

Well then show me where I am wrong.

You are the one making the claim that Australia is a net carbon dioxide sink.
The onus is on you to provide evidence

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 12:18pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 19th, 2019 at 11:37am:
The onus is on you to provide evidence

Fine

See those little red dots on the east coast? Those are positive emissions. The red in Arnhem land is from the Mangroves etc. No heavy industry there.

From data GOSAT (IBUKI) satellite.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2014/07/05/the-revenge-of-the-climate-reparations/

I know you don't like Watts. but can you show the data is wrong?

https://www.chiefscientist.gov.au/2009/12/which-plants-store-more-carbon-in-aust...

Use the figures in the text and a conservative 1t/ha. Remember Australian Mountain Ash stores up to 10 times CO2 as other species.

Now I have done that, it is up to you to disprove it. If you can. Wink

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #22 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 12:39pm

I won't say it's wrong, but i will say that it is misleading (as is always the case with deniers)

Perhaps the biggest deception is using the year 2010.
It just happens to be the year after the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires and 2010 represents the end of the Millennial drought.
Lots of plant regrowth skewing the results.

Australia is highly urbanised yet the map doesn't show how much CO2 Sydney and Melbourne actually emits so is pretty meaningless.

So in summary this doesn't show that Australia is a net carbon dioxide sink.

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 12:50pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 19th, 2019 at 12:39pm:
I won't say it's wrong, but i will say that it is misleading (as is always the case with deniers)

Who denies anything petal?

Perhaps the biggest deception is using the year 2010.
It just happens to be the year after the 2009 Black Saturday bushfires and 2010 represents the end of the Millennial drought.
Lots of plant regrowth skewing the results.

You mean the 2010 floods sequestered more CO2? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

But perhaps it was the rainfall. Wink

And by about 220Mt of CO2e. so the rainfall increased the sequestration by over 40%? Grin Grin

Australia is highly urbanised yet the map doesn't show how much CO2 Sydney and Melbourne actually emits so is pretty meaningless.

If it isn't red it isn't a net emitter. Wink

So in summary this doesn't show that Australia is a net carbon dioxide sink.

Oh it does petal, you are just a denier. Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Now it is time for you to prove your assertion that it isn't. What you have written is not proof of anything. Wink

And the maths was to hard for you in the link to Australia's Chief Scientist? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 1:06pm

BTW - According to the garudian graphic the 2010 CO2e for the year was ......560.4Mt

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/dec/11/australias-transport-emissio...

How could they get that so egregiously wrong  .. the satellite of course it couldn't be the garudian or from where they derived their data. Wink

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Oct 19th, 2019 at 3:04pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 19th, 2019 at 10:12am:
Jasin wrote on Oct 18th, 2019 at 5:58pm:

For once you make a valid point.

Sydney and Melbourne were both established in (comparatively) fertile areas. Suburban sprawl is swallowing up all the areas that once were farms and market gardens.

Yes - two very fertile areas, now gone. Most of the (austral, etc) western Basin 'Rural' of Sydney is being 'Burbed' over for more SuperMarket Revenue Income just a bus station away.

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #26 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 9:41am

lee wrote on Oct 19th, 2019 at 12:50pm:
You mean the 2010 floods sequestered more CO2? Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

Wow, I didn't realise that you were so stupid that I would have to spell it out for you

record rains in 2010 after bushfires and a long drought made for huge amounts of regrowth which made Australia (temporarily) a carbon sink

Quote:
Record rains made Australia a giant green global carbon sink

Record-breaking rains triggered so much new growth across Australia that the continent turned into a giant green carbon sink to rival tropical rainforests including the Amazon, our new research shows.

And that had a global impact. While atmospheric carbon dioxide still rose in 2011, it grew at a much lower rate – nearly 20% lower – than the average growth over the previous decade.

Almost 60% of the higher than normal carbon uptake that year, or 840 million tons, happened in Australia. That was due to a combination of factors, including geography and a run of very dry years, followed by record-breaking rains in 2010 and 2011.
https://blog.csiro.au/record-rains-made-australia-a-giant-green-global-carbon-si...

So it looks like whatsupwiththat cherry picked a particularly favorable year
But that's no surprise as it's the MO for deniers

So now that we are in one of our worst droughts on record what do you think are the chances that we are still a net carbon sink  Grin Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #27 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:28am

freediver wrote on May 2nd, 2007 at 4:00pm:
Suppose that in 50 years time we are getting all of our energy from solar, wind, hydro and other renewables and most of our water from desalination and recycling. Electricity and food would be more expensive, but probably not prohibitive. What then would limit our population growth? Is it simply not feasible to support large scale agriculture from water that is desalinated and pumped inland using renewable energy sources?

Look at history, when the majority are starving and homeless the first books to be burned will be the economics books to keep warm.

The law of the jungle doesn't recognise feasibility and per capita.

You still think there will be a hierarchy and elite dictating terms..?

They will be the first hanged from the nearest tree for letting it get to this point.

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #28 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:34am

Lead the way buddy get rid of

mobile phone
I-pad
Computer
No electricity in your house
No cars or trains trams or buses only push bikes
No aeroplanes
No tv or entertainment that uses power.
No plastic products
Everything has to be done manually.

Might as well live in a cave.

You wiling to show the way.

BTW Australian emits 1% of manmade greenhouse gases which is absorbed by Australia eco-systems..

Wake the f@rk up and stop listening to the oligarchy.

« Last Edit: Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:57am by Ajax »  

1. There has never been a more serious assault on our standard of living than Anthropogenic Global Warming..Ajax
2. "One hour of freedom is worth more than 40 years of slavery &  prison" Regas Feraeos

IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #29 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:59am

Ajax wrote on Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:34am:

mobile phone
I-pad
Computer
No aeroplanes
No plastic products

BTW Australian emits 1% of manmade greenhouse gases which is absorbed by Australia eco-systems..

You do realise that zoso posted that 12 years ago.
I suspect he won't read your reply  Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

Ajax
Gold Member

CO2 has never controlled
temperature on Earth

Australia
Reply #30 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 11:09am

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:59am:
Ajax wrote on Oct 20th, 2019 at 10:34am:

mobile phone
I-pad
Computer
No aeroplanes
No plastic products

You do realise that zoso posted that 12 years ago.
I suspect he won't read your reply  Grin Grin Grin Grin

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #31 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 1:02pm

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 20th, 2019 at 9:41am:
Wow, I didn't realise that you were so stupid that I would have to spell it out for you

record rains in 2010 after bushfires and a long drought made for huge amounts of regrowth which made Australia (temporarily) a carbon sink

Yes petal I read that.

You do understand the difference 60% carbon uptake would make?

So if we take the net carbon flux at approximately 220Mt and reduce it by 60%, ( although how they arrived at that is not mentioned), that would make, in a normal year  a 88Mt Carbon Sink.  And for the 60% they actually used 2011.

The_Barnacle wrote on Oct 20th, 2019 at 9:41am:
And that had a global impact. While atmospheric carbon dioxide still rose in 2011, it grew at a much lower rate – nearly 20% lower – than the average growth over the previous decade.

Almost 60% of the higher than normal carbon uptake that year, or 840 million tons, happened in Australia.

BTW - You do understand the difference between a carbon sink of about 220Mt and 560.4 Mt emissions. About 780Mt.  How could Australia have both sets of figures? Surely it is either one or the other. Wink

Figure 4
Carbon flux IAV for a TM5‐4DVAR GOSAT‐based inversion and a CASA‐GFED TM5 forward model run.

"Our results show a strong carbon uptake in Australia from the end of 2010 to mid‐2012. This uptake coincided with record‐breaking rainfall and consequent soil moisture increase that lead to increased growth of vegetation as shown by the increased SIF and the observed peak in biomass burning emissions, as well as the large increased flux uptake shown in the inversion results."

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2015GL065161

So the graph shows CO2 flux (blue line) was falling throughout 2010. Wink

I notice you still haven't referenced Australia's Chief Scientist. Wink

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #32 - Oct 20th, 2019 at 8:29pm

Zoso will be back like the Wrath of Khan.

C02 levels have risen.
Methane levels have risen.

Is it man-made or natural occurance that is due??

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print