Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Magnets cure depression (Read 4622 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Magnets cure depression
May 2nd, 2007 at 9:48am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Magnetic-pulses-cure-depression-experts/2007/05/02/1177788180512.html

A new technique of firing magnetic pulses into the brains of severely depressed people has produced startling successes, researchers say.

Melbourne scientists have tested a new therapy on depressed patients who do not respond to standard drug treatment and found half improved markedly.

The technique is a variation of so-called transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), in which magnetic pulses are fired rapidly into the "overactive" parts of a depressed brain.

This therapy has a 30 per cent success rate, but researchers at Melbourne's Alfred Hospital realised they could lift this to 50 per cent by prepping the brain with a series of weak, high frequency pulses.

"Doing this in some way prepares the brain to respond better to the standard TMS therapy, which is quite remarkable," Professor Paul Fitzgerald told a national psychiatry conference on the Gold Coast.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Magnets cure depression
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2007 at 11:07am

Laughter cures depression.
Even smiling deals to it.

You end up with what you accept

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2021 at 11:16pm

I think I'll stick to the resonance of Ambient-Trance and some Darkwave. I even ran a Radio program playing the stuff. People loved my show so much, they told me they fell asleep in 15mins.

Getting mind massaged by an Orca is even better.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 7:05am

Relaxation cures depression. A few decent massages work wonders.

Stuff drugs!

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 8:24am

Alcohol is a drug Monk.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #5 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 4:11pm

Then stop drinking! Then maybe you can finally put the nice icon on my board and change the title to Critters and Gardens.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #6 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 4:16pm

Is Booby posting cute puppy & kitten videos and defence topics in the so-called Environment board here therapy against depression? Can’t think of any other reason. Maybe he has no idea of the environment and ecology? Is that why OzPol is losing members and slipping down the Google rankings like you said?

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #7 - Mar 20th, 2021 at 4:21pm

The mention of 'alcohol' and Monks got all demanding again.
My request for an Atheist Avatar/Logo and an update for the Political Party Avatars is way in front of your stupid lie of a request ("Vote for me and I won't change the Title of the Board" blah blah).

The only way you can relax Monk is if Troy Dan choppers in and gives you a nice dark red tranquilising dart on the butt to tie you up, gaffer tape your mouth and set you free on a Reservation for your own protection.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 7:09am

freediver wrote on May 2nd, 2007 at 9:48am:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Magnetic-pulses-cure-depression-experts/2007/05/02/1177788180512.html

A new technique of firing magnetic pulses into the brains of severely depressed people has produced startling successes, researchers say.

Melbourne scientists have tested a new therapy on depressed patients who do not respond to standard drug treatment and found half improved markedly.

The technique is a variation of so-called transcranial magnetic stimulation (TMS), in which magnetic pulses are fired rapidly into the "overactive" parts of a depressed brain.

This therapy has a 30 per cent success rate, but researchers at Melbourne's Alfred Hospital realised they could lift this to 50 per cent by prepping the brain with a series of weak, high frequency pulses.

"Doing this in some way prepares the brain to respond better to the standard TMS therapy, which is quite remarkable," Professor Paul Fitzgerald told a national psychiatry conference on the Gold Coast.

it sounds wonderful

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 8:51am

Quote:
My request for an Atheist Avatar/Logo

The atheism board already has an avatar.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #10 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 8:54am

My board has a really crappy avatar. I would like the nice butterfly icon put in its place. Would take half a minute.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 9:33am

I like thumper  leave him alone..

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 10:43am

That is my avatar, codsy. I am talking about the totally crappy and stupid avatar to Critters and Gardens.

FD whines about costs, about membership, about low Google rankings but does not do the simplest little things to improve OzPol. Or bigger things like moving the idiot Booby from Environment, a major reason for the slide down the google rankings and loss of membership.

Clearly, Booby knows nothing about the environment or ecology, or anything much, like the difference between weather and climate.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #13 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 12:08pm

Triggered. Again.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #14 - Mar 21st, 2021 at 12:16pm

Triggered? You must have a different definition.

You have publicly whinged out the money this costs you, membership and search engine rankings yet you do nothing about any of it. You have made OzPol faster which is nice. Thank you for that.

Still waiting for the nice board avatar and change of name tho, 10 months on, nothing has happened.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print