Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
low blow from Bill Heffernan (Read 11039 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
low blow from Bill Heffernan
May 2nd, 2007 at 9:43am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Heffernan-still-insulting-women-Macklin/2007/05/02/1177788182844.html

Labor frontbencher Jenny Macklin has demanded Liberal Senator Bill Heffernan apologise for declaring Labor deputy leader Julia Gillard unqualified to lead the country on grounds she's deliberately chosen not to have children.

Senator Heffernan raised eyebrows last year when he described the childless Ms Gillard - who could become deputy PM in a Labor government - as unqualified to lead the nation because she was barren.

In an interview published in Wednesday's Bulletin magazine he stood by that observation.

But he conceded he was uncouth when he said Ms Gillard had no idea what life was about because she had no children.

"I won't walk away from that," he told the magazine.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: low blow from Bill Heffernan
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2007 at 5:50pm

I'm glad he said what he did.  It can only enhance the ALP's chances at the next election.  After the negativity surrounding the past few days over Julia Gillard's relationship with business leaders, Heffernan's uncouth and redneck comments will hopefully have a negative effect on the Liberals anti-union campaign.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW(Guest)

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2007 at 6:13pm

Heffernan's an idiot and will be seen as such but the voting public has a right to be made aware of the ALP handing over power to appease defunct unions at the expense of those who actually contribute something to society (employers)

The days of union strongholds is done and dusted and should be buried under a steaming pile of faeces so that the smell matches the content.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2007 at 7:40am

Quote:
the voting public has a right to be made aware of the ALP handing over power to appease defunct unions at the expense of those who actually contribute something to society (employers)

Oh - and the employees don't contribute anything to society?

Would businesses survive without workers?  Record profits are being reaped, while the workers are going backwards.  Do you think that mining companies will cease trading if some benefits are restored to the workers?

While the average Australian foregoes penalty rates, overtime, leave loading, sick leave and holiday pay - corporations and CEO's are in receipt of obscene profits and they are increasing quarterly as most of us are aware.

Unions brought fair working conditions into the 20th century.  Workchoices has taken them back to the 19th century.  If the unions and Gillard can restore some fairness back into the workplace - good on them.

Heffernan's regressive thinking is on par with his leader.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #4 - May 3rd, 2007 at 8:38am

Yes, Heffernans comments were just a personal attack.
Wether anyone has kids or not has very little bearing if any on their political career.

Ecologically, Julia gillard has probably done a good thing by having no kids.

Stupid heffernen, labour were taking some real stick from the media, he gave them a complete let off.
I like country folk

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

maille
Ex Member

Reply #5 - May 4th, 2007 at 10:32am

mantra wrote on May 2nd, 2007 at 5:50pm:
I'm glad he said what he did.  It can only enhance the ALP's chances at the next election.  After the negativity surrounding the past few days over Julia Gillard's relationship with business leaders, Heffernan's uncouth and redneck comments will hopefully have a negative effect on the Liberals anti-union campaign.

One would have hoped anyway mantra-this morning on 'Today' news a poll suggested that 70% of voters thought she could not lead properly if she were not a parent.This is of course rediculous.

Bill Heffernen is  a troublemaker.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - May 4th, 2007 at 10:46am

There was one thing he said that I agreed with.
Words to the effect ,  "Someone with no kids do not know the relationship between the father, the mother and the nappy bucket."

Had he phrased his earlier comment less as a personal attack and more thoughtfully/positively, would have been ok.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - May 4th, 2007 at 10:53am

I wonder how often Bill Heffernan employs his intricate knowledge of nappy buckets in managing the country.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - May 4th, 2007 at 11:17am

Bill Heffernan proposed "The Nappy Bucket Recovery" policy of 2004.

It was proposed to cart water from NT to lake Eyre using a human chain of nappy buckets.

A forrward thinking politician if ever there was one.  ( Paul Keating was another)

(Wherever do I come up with this stuff from ??)

IP Logged

oceans_blue
Ex Member

Reply #9 - May 5th, 2007 at 11:46am

Sprintcyclist wrote on May 4th, 2007 at 11:17am:
Bill Heffernan proposed "The Nappy Bucket Recovery" policy of 2004.

It was proposed to cart water from NT to lake Eyre using a human chain of nappy buckets.

A forrward thinking politician if ever there was one.  ( Paul Keating was another)

(Wherever do I come up with this stuff from ??)

Paul Keating was indeed a forward thinking politician-and he has been very vocal of late re-IR etc. Good to see- I love Keating to have another crack at the PM ship.
He would fix whatever ails us in no time.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
PM unmoved by proposal to drug test MPs
Reply #10 - Jun 24th, 2007 at 3:22pm

Perhaps a bit of a gimmick, but still an interesting proposal. Only problem is, if politicians are tested, they will probably start passing laws to test everyone else. Bill also mentioned lawyers and judges in his rant and the comments are attributed by many to his obsession with the judiciary.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/PM-unmoved-by-proposal-to-drug-test-MPs/2007/06/24/1182623707339.html

Prime Minister John Howard has declined to endorse or criticise a proposal by Liberal senator Bill Heffernan for MPs to be subjected to random drug testing.

Senator Heffernan said politicians should be subjected to the same testing regime for illicit drugs as football players to send a message "that we are fair dinkum about stamping out drug use", Fairfax reported on Sunday.

Salvation Army spokesman Pat Daley said that because of the importance of their decision-making, politicians should undergo drug tests.

"Do you think that there are politicians using drugs? Let's find out," Mr Daley told AAP.

"Given that there's drug testing of airline pilots and police and sportsmen and many other people in the community, it's only appropriate that politicians be drug tested given that they're making very serious decisions for the community.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Heffernan wins most sexist remark
Reply #11 - Nov 13th, 2007 at 10:39am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Heffernan-wins-most-sexist-remark/2007/11/12/1194766594243.html

Controversial Liberal senator Bill Heffernan has won the 15th annual Ernie award for sexist remarks.

The award was given to Senator Heffernan for comments earlier this year about ALP deputy leader Julia Gillard.

Senator Heffernan said Ms Gillard was unfit for leadership because she was "deliberately barren".

The award ceremony at NSW parliament house in Sydney also saw the launch of The Ernies Book, 1,000 terrible things Australian men have said about women.

The "anthology of misogyny" or "portfolio of piggery" chronicles the past 15 years of sexist quotes from politicians to priests, celebrities, sports stars, judges and even prime ministers.

It included comments by former prime minister Paul Keating, union leader Martin Ferguson, and retired judge Roddy Meagher.

The room of women decided who should receive this year's Ernie by a traditional "boo-off".

While Senator Heffernan was the winner, or loser, saw a top field full of what feminist's would call faux pas.

Workplace and employment minister Joe Hockey was booed for his comments that it was hard work for him during his wife's pregnancy.

Hockey upset about pregnancy joke focus

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Hockey-upset-about-pregnancy-joke-focus/2007/11/13/1194766630302.html

Workplace Relations Minister Joe Hockey says he's upset about the attention given to a joke he made about his wife's pregnancy.

Mr Hockey was on Monday night named as a contender at the annual Ernie awards for sexist remarks.

A "boo-off" by women at NSW parliament decided the annual Ernie award should go to one of Mr Hockey's Liberal colleagues, Senator Bill Heffernan, for saying the childless deputy Labor leader Julia Gillard was unfit for leadership because she was "deliberately barren".

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
another low act, family first
Reply #12 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 6:16pm

Family First 'abusing abortion clients'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Family-First-abusing-abortion-clients/2007/11/21/1195321843982.html

Family First members have been harassing women attending a Victorian abortion clinic, Australian Democrats leader Lyn Allison says.

"Family First has taken its anti-choice stance too far," Senator Allison said in a statement.

"Prominent members of the extreme right-wing party have been harassing and abusing women who terminate their pregnancies," she said.

"Security guards have told me that the protesters often yell at women entering the clinic and follow them down the street as they leave.

"They accuse the women of being murderers.

"These certainly aren't the kinds of people we want represented in our parliament."

Family First did not immediately respond to the allegations.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Re: another low act, family first
Reply #13 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 6:44pm

freediver wrote on Nov 21st, 2007 at 6:16pm:
Family First 'abusing abortion clients'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Family-First-abusing-abortion-clients/2007/11/21/1195321843982.html

Family First members have been harassing women attending a Victorian abortion clinic, Australian Democrats leader Lyn Allison says.

"Family First has taken its anti-choice stance too far," Senator Allison said in a statement.

"Prominent members of the extreme right-wing party have been harassing and abusing women who terminate their pregnancies," she said.

"Security guards have told me that the protesters often yell at women entering the clinic and follow them down the street as they leave.

"They accuse the women of being murderers.

"These certainly aren't the kinds of people we want represented in our parliament."

Family First did not immediately respond to the allegations.

According to who?  A Democrat?  Ha ha ha ha.  What a load of old cobblers.  I wouldn't trust a Democrat to push my supermarket trolley for me.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #14 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 6:55pm

This says it all: Family First did not immediately respond to the allegations.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print