Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Do you support multiculturalism?

Yes. Diversity leads to unity and enrichment.    
  53 (42.7%)
No. How can disunity lead to unity?    
  53 (42.7%)
Undecided.    
  8 (6.5%)
Other.    
  10 (8.1%)

Total votes: 124
« Last Modified by: ex-member DonaldTrump on: May 2nd, 2007 at 4:28pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 56
Send Topic Print
Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why? (Read 109950 times)
ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why?
May 2nd, 2007 at 2:53am

Alrighty, let's see how much support everyone has for that stupid policy called 'multiculturalism.'

This thread is NOT for debate. I repeat, it's NOT for debate.

Just state the reasons you support it... or don't support it... and try not to get too in depth about it.

Just a few quick statements or paragraphs.

Whatever you say in this thread will NOT be discussed further.

Thanks.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why?
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2007 at 8:46am

I support multiculturism .

Wonder who voted "no" ?

Reasons for  :  "Greek festival", "Chinese New year", Nepalese peace worship building they left after expo in Brisso,  falafels, those stunning "smoky" looking Indian women, Aboriginal art, Italain food and cars, sushi, french movies, the rugby players from the pacific islands, music from the Andes.

Imagine a white australia.  Roast lamb for dinner, watch "home and away" on tv, wear a suit to work, wee wifey at home with the 3 kids, watch/play rugby in winter, cricket in summer, listen to rock and roll, mow the lawn on weekends and bbq up sausages.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Progs

Port Stephens, NSW
Reply #2 - May 29th, 2007 at 4:51pm

I support multiculturalism for one reason. The FOOD.

An Aussie for Progressive Progressivness.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 29th, 2007 at 5:00pm

Naturally, i voted no.
How can alien cultures and religious systems live together when they all hold different aims?
There has been no nation in history who has had multiculturism and succeded in the long run.
Number one example- the soviet union.
Number two example- the ottoman empire
Number three example- the roman empire.
And what about the british empire? it only exists in white countries.
So no is my answer.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - May 29th, 2007 at 5:02pm

There has been no nation in history who has had multiculturism and succeded in the long run.

Only because there has been no nation in history that has 'succeded' in the long run.

What about China? They look after their minorities. They even exclude them from the one child policy. They have been round longer than any other large nation.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Progs

Port Stephens, NSW
Reply #5 - May 29th, 2007 at 5:09pm

Quote:
Naturally, i voted no.
How can alien cultures and religious systems live together when they all hold different aims?
Number one example- the soviet union.
Number two example- the ottoman empire
Number three example- the roman empire.
And what about the british empire? it only exists in white countries.
So no is my answer.

You seem to be forgetting a little country called the US of A. Or is America a failure too?

An Aussie for Progressive Progressivness.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - May 29th, 2007 at 5:11pm

What about the tibet people? and non communists?

What about the aborigines and non-capitalists in Australia? Does their existence, or the fact they don't get their way and don't get their land back (in the aborigine's case) mean they aren't a minority group in our culture? Do people who vote for the communist party stop the country from functioning?

How is the US a failure?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #7 - May 30th, 2007 at 12:27pm

Freediver, that was you who started debate on this thread.

Can you please follow the guidelines on the first post? -This goes for everyone else, thank you. The next person who starts debate will have their posts deleted. Wanna argue a certain point on this thread? Quote them and start a new thread.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

cautious connie

OzPolitic

Reply #8 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 5:16pm

I support multiculturalism. Travel broadens the mind. Multi-culturalism kind of brings travelling home. I am interested in other foods and ideas and religions. The only incidents where I have doubts are when I see people carrying on their traditional cultural dislikes of each other and that becoming violent. I am open to the radical idea of deporting migrants who act violently on the basis of past experiences and their traditional hatred for another culture/group present here, because if they act violently becasue of a cultural reason then they have no reason to stop doing so.

IP Logged

Labor_Man

OzPolitic

Reply #9 - Dec 14th, 2007 at 2:47am

I support Multiculturalism, However I don't think we need to Kow-tow to other beliefs and censor
ourselves through political corectness all the time(for fear it might offend some cultures). There is some resentment felt,
and some people abuse the society we live in today.

For example, I can understand quite a few languages relatively well, Serb-Croat being one of them. I was in
Liverpool the other day coming off the train station and there were two serbian people talking and
chuckling to themselves in serbian. I recall them saying something along the lines of

"How good is this, We come to this country, and get paid for doing absolutely nothing"
(Which I assume they were talking about the unemployment benefits or otherwise)
I was disgusted.

Needless to say, Being serbian in part, there's some resentment surposed to surround my backgound and croation background.
I hold no hostilities to them. I was raised here, and Proud of my Australian residency, and Serbian Herritage. I don't like it either when hostilities are carried over here. We don't need that kind of tension.

IP Logged

foxdemon(Guest)

Reply #10 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 7:01am

I think multicutralism in Australia is bad, though multiculturalism is not nessacarily bad of itself. It is the way policy has been constructed and implimented that is the problem.

Multiculturalism in Austrailia is all about immigration. It is currently dispossing the poorer native born people of their influnence over the government. This unbalenced power relationship is also allowing migrants of bad attitude to get away with their anti-social thinking unchallenged. This is leading to the fragmentation of Australia's civic culture.

So, multiculturalism is very one-sided. The migrants have the support of the government, the acedemics and the urban elite. Thus they can neglect any concern for less favoured Australians and, with time, come to assume their superior station is their right. This is the basis of anti-settler racism evident among so many people of CALD backgrounds. Amazingly, they can even get away with persecuting the impoverished, mentally ill sons of men who have adopted orphans in the developing world and the community continues to support those migrants.

Political correctness has a lot to anwser for in this regard as it stiffles debate and suppresses critisisms which might help to improve the form of multiculturalism in Australia. Multicultural policy needs to be critically reassessed and the political bias removed.

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #11 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 12:50pm

I support multiculturalism as long as people recognise that in spite of the influx of Chinese, Vietnamese, Thai and Middle Eastern cuisine that the humble meat pie will remain a national icon to be consumed at footy matches. I still prefer "mate" to "buddy", these increeping Americanisms. And please, let us never change "recognise" to "recognize", or "night" to "nite". I am, by the way, an immigrant of 34 years, and though my children have an interest in my former country and heritage, I'm vainly proud that they are first and foremost Aussies. So in theory I support multiculturalism, but I don't think the house should be re-designed to suit immigrants.

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

Musician35
Ex Member

Reply #12 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 7:26pm

I am proud to be part of a largely tolerant multicultural society. Australia is one of the few places on earth where a person can be judged on his/her integrity and the strength of their actions as opposed to the colour of their skin, something that they have absolutely no control over. I enjoy the food, sure, but I also enjoy the people. As another poster stated, travel broadens the mind. I've travelled just about everywhere, and I have friends of all nationalities and all religions. I've come to the conclusion that people are basically the same the world over.

For the fact that I live in a multicultural society, I say thanks, danke, merci, tusend takk, tack så mycket, grazie, gracias, spaceba, terima Kasih, arigato, hvala, obrigado, kiito, shookhran gezilen, dziekuje, moran taing, diolch, asante sana !

and the rest  Grin

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #13 - Feb 19th, 2008 at 9:24pm

What a positive post on multiculturalism - Musician.  Great attitude.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #14 - Feb 21st, 2008 at 12:16am

foxdemon - great reply. Intelligent, incisive, precise.

Well done

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 56
Send Topic Print