Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Do you support multiculturalism?

Yes. Diversity leads to unity and enrichment.    
  53 (42.7%)
No. How can disunity lead to unity?    
  53 (42.7%)
Undecided.    
  8 (6.5%)
Other.    
  10 (8.1%)

Total votes: 124
« Last Modified by: ex-member DonaldTrump on: May 2nd, 2007 at 4:28pm »

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 56
Send Topic Print
Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why? (Read 110364 times)
bludger

Australian Politics

Re: Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why?
Reply #345 - May 30th, 2012 at 10:48pm

No I'm afraid I don't but I'd like to. The problem is humans are bent on violence and blood is thicker than water.
When they can kill the violence gene then it will be ok.

IP Logged

mutation

Australian Politics

Reply #346 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 3:24pm

Its an abject failure and was always going to be so Though i suspect that is in fact the aim of forcing incompatible races together. Divide and conquer!

I suspect however from the comments about food that most people dont understand the difference in either intent or implementation between "multiracial" and "multicultural"!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #347 - Oct 5th, 2012 at 7:48pm

mutation wrote on Oct 5th, 2012 at 3:24pm:
Its an abject failure and was always going to be so Though i suspect that is in fact the aim of forcing incompatible races together. Divide and conquer!

I suspect however from the comments about food that most people dont understand the difference in either intent or implementation between "multiracial" and "multicultural"!

Indeed.

I am not sure about the divide and conquer bit, though.

I think it is nothing like a long term plan. It is sheer stupidity. The only cunning bit is the avoidance of asking the people whether they want it.
Multiculturalism would never be voted in. Anywhere.

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #348 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 11:24am

Soren wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 11:05pm:
Ancient Rome was more 'diverse' than any city then or since - yet it was robustly Roman and there was no notion of plurality of values. Rome was diverse because it was Rome, not because there were a lot of different nationalities living within it.

Rome accommodated no diversity of law and custom. "When in Rome, do as the Romans." You went to Rome to become a Roman, not to be a Nubian in Rome.

It fell when its Romanness was gone and it became a hotch potch of diversity without a strong centre. Same now. A city of diverse populations can be geat only if it has a centre that holds. Diversity is no substitute for a centre. What we see in most of the great cities you listed is that their very core is under assault, deliberately.

The word ghetto comes from the Italian word borghetto. Even the eternal city had its ghettos and subcultures. In Early Rome, the Etruscans had the best parts of Rome which were largely free from malaria - the Tuscus vicus. In later times, the Jews had their ghetto in what is now known as Trastevere.  Then there were the various Roman Mystery cults, including the cult of Bacchus, Mithras and Christianity itself.

It's interesting how Etruscan Haruspices and Augurs played such a leading role in decision making in ancient Rome. The Romans "subcontracted" the Etruscan school of Haruspicy whenever there was an important event. 

You might get an illusion of monoculturalism from the historians who were part and parcel of the Roman military machine, such as Julius Caesar and Tacitus.

Some ancient Roman historians were not even Roman. An example is Dionysius of Halicarnasus, who was a leading light in the Greek community in Ancient Rome. The Greeks had a greater status in Rome compared with others (They were not regarded as barbarians) and had considerable influences, particularly in the Hellenistic art and architecture of Ancient Rome. 
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2012 at 11:51am by muso »  

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

bambu
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #349 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 12:00pm

Multiculturalism is a menace.
Why?

Google; "The menace of multiculturalism - Washington Times "

“Multiculturalism” is the notion that all cultures are inherently equal; the notion should not only be tolerated, but encouraged.
The Judeo-Christian values that undergirded the founding of our country and inspired the moral rules that bound us together in a common culture, honored even when honored in the breach, are to be held in doubt and suspicion.
When these values were deconstructed, so that they no longer held us together, the literary, philosophical and historical canons of Western civilization changed.

Young people, naturally given to critiquing anything and everything their parents believe, became easily indoctrinated with the fashionable notions of multiculturalism. Disarmed, they could not defend the culture that produced their freedoms and the good life in which to enjoy those freedoms. They were soon not even capable of perceiving the consequences that flow from an inability to make distinctions.

Read more: The menace of multiculturalism - Washington Times
« Last Edit: Oct 6th, 2012 at 12:09pm by bambu »  

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #350 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 2:22pm

We are a multi cultured society - the label means little either way.

Leave it in place or take it away the fact will remain the same as it was before the term came into fashion.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #351 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 5:15pm

There should be no government largesse for migrants to 'preserve' their culture. If they can't preserve it without taxpayer subsidy, it's not worth preserving - in which case government largesse on it is a waste.

IP Logged

Postmodern Trendoid III
Gold Member

Reply #352 - Oct 6th, 2012 at 7:06pm

bambu wrote on Oct 6th, 2012 at 12:00pm:
Multiculturalism is a menace.
Why?

Google; "The menace of multiculturalism - Washington Times "

“Multiculturalism” is the notion that all cultures are inherently equal; the notion should not only be tolerated, but encouraged.
The Judeo-Christian values that undergirded the founding of our country and inspired the moral rules that bound us together in a common culture, honored even when honored in the breach, are to be held in doubt and suspicion.
When these values were deconstructed, so that they no longer held us together, the literary, philosophical and historical canons of Western civilization changed.

Young people, naturally given to critiquing anything and everything their parents believe, became easily indoctrinated with the fashionable notions of multiculturalism. Disarmed, they could not defend the culture that produced their freedoms and the good life in which to enjoy those freedoms. They were soon not even capable of perceiving the consequences that flow from an inability to make distinctions.

Read more: The menace of multiculturalism - Washington Times

Yep.
The left-wing intelligentsia have a lot to answer for. Students being robbed of a thorough education; being denied to learn and defend the culture they have inherited.
You actually have to defy the curriculum in order to really learn the past and the tools needed to defend it. 

IP Logged

mutation

Australian Politics

Reply #353 - Oct 7th, 2012 at 11:56pm

Soren wrote on Oct 5th, 2012 at 7:48pm:
Indeed.

I am not sure about the divide and conquer bit, though.

I think it is nothing like a long term plan. It is sheer stupidity. The only cunning bit is the avoidance of asking the people whether they want it.
Multiculturalism would never be voted in. Anywhere.

Then you underestimate the ideology involved and the lengths they will go to!

IP Logged

Bowen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #354 - Oct 30th, 2012 at 10:07pm

Please allow me to copy these paragraphs to this topic.

In ancient world, two border city-states may fight each others only because the difference of culture. Then the nations are bigger and bigger. Each nation is composed by many different sub-culture.

Now a day, it's 21st century. No one can avoid culture intercommunion and amalgamation. Why not can we absorb the good parts and avoid the bad part from different cultures?

Multiculturalism is to protect freedom of cultures, similar to Freedom of Religious.

Freedom of thought, conscience and religion is one of the substantive human rights. [wikipedia/Human rights]
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2012 at 10:19pm by Bowen »  

IP Logged

mutation

Australian Politics

Reply #355 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 12:35am

Bowen wrote on Oct 30th, 2012 at 10:07pm:
Please allow me to copy these paragraphs to this topic.

In ancient world, two border city-states may fight each others only because the difference of culture. Then the nations are bigger and bigger. Each nation is composed by many different sub-culture.

Now a day, it's 21st century. No one can avoid culture intercommunion and amalgamation. Why not can we absorb the good parts and avoid the bad part from different cultures?

Multiculturalism is to protect freedom of cultures, similar to Freedom of Religious.

Freedom of thought, conscience and religion is one of the substantive human rights. [wikipedia/Human rights]

Surely if we are on the "Human Rights" bandwagon Freedom FROM religion must be in there as well!
"Why not can we absorb the good parts and avoid the bad part from different cultures?"
Quiet simply because the parrallel existence of multiple cultures in a "Multicultural" society means it is no longer the option of the host culture to pick and choose the good and bad from the invasive cultures. Add that to the fact that some cultures simply have nothing to offer and their very presence poses a threat
You right you cant in the internet age avoid cultural intercommunication but you can sure as hell limit it in the physical world!
Multiculturalism is NOT to protect freedom of cultures it is a device used by certain political groups to undermine and or dilute national & cultural identity because they see it as a threat!

IP Logged

Bowen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #356 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 6:32am

If you want to absorb the good parts of different culture. You have to keep them at first.

Multiculturalism protect different cultures in Australia just like keeping a color palette that you can try to generate any color.

What is national & cultural identity when you real respect Freedom of Religions?

I'm a Chinese, and I'm Australian citizen too. I have different culture than you. So what? What do you want to tag me another "national & cultural identity"?

You can keep your "national & cultural identity" in your home. But it's nothing in public political space. Don't you think we are equal even we have different "national & cultural identity"?

Multiculturalism is to protect freedom of cultures that it protect all Australian have equal rights to live here no matter what "national & cultural identity".

mutation wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 12:35am:
Surely if we are on the "Human Rights" bandwagon Freedom FROM religion must be in there as well!
"Why not can we absorb the good parts and avoid the bad part from different cultures?"
Quiet simply because the parrallel existence of multiple cultures in a "Multicultural" society means it is no longer the option of the host culture to pick and choose the good and bad from the invasive cultures. Add that to the fact that some cultures simply have nothing to offer and their very presence poses a threat
You right you cant in the internet age avoid cultural intercommunication but you can sure as hell limit it in the physical world!
Multiculturalism is NOT to protect freedom of cultures it is a device used by certain political groups to undermine and or dilute national & cultural identity because they see it as a threat!

IP Logged

mutation

Australian Politics

Reply #357 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 6:48pm

Bowen wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 6:32am:
If you want to absorb the good parts of different culture. You have to keep them at first.

Multiculturalism protect different cultures in Australia just like keeping a color palette that you can try to generate any color.

What is national & cultural identity when you real respect Freedom of Religions?

I'm a Chinese, and I'm Australian citizen too. I have different culture than you. So what? What do you want to tag me another "national & cultural identity"?

You can keep your "national & cultural identity" in your home. But it's nothing in public political space. Don't you think we are equal even we have different "national & cultural identity"?

Multiculturalism is to protect freedom of cultures that it protect all Australian have equal rights to live here no matter what "national & cultural identity".

Any chance your future response could be in English? Moving on!

You said "I'm a Chinese, and I'm Australian citizen too." You may be a citizen but you are not Australian! By your own admission "I'm a Chinese" that says it all you identify as Chinese you think Chinese you seem to type Chinese  Do you really think your qualified to say what is or isnt what should or shouldnt be Australian?

IP Logged

Bowen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #358 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 7:38pm

When I say "I am a Chinese", It's about race just like you say "I am an Anglo-Saxon".

When I said "I am an Australian", It's about my citizenship. It's same to you say "I am an Australian"

I have the same rights with you to "say what is or isnt what should or shouldnt be Australian"

Australia is not only yours but also mine.

BTW, I speak English here is to communicate. If you understand Chinese and hard to understand my English, I can speak Chinese.

mutation wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 6:48pm:

You said "I'm a Chinese, and I'm Australian citizen too." You may be a citizen but you are not Australian! By your own admission "I'm a Chinese" that says it all you identify as Chinese you think Chinese you seem to type Chinese  Do you really think your qualified to say what is or isnt what should or shouldnt be Australian?

IP Logged

Bowen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #359 - Oct 31st, 2012 at 7:44pm

Bowen wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 7:38pm:
When I say "I am a Chinese", It's about race just like you say "I am an Anglo-Saxon".

When I said "I am an Australian", It's about my citizenship. It's same to you say "I am an Australian"

I have the same rights with you to "say what is or isnt what should or shouldnt be Australian"

What makes you believe you are qualified and I'm not?

Australia is not only yours but also mine.

BTW, I speak English here is to communicate. If you understand Chinese and hard to understand my English, I can speak Chinese. I guess you can not understand Chinese.

mutation wrote on Oct 31st, 2012 at 6:48pm:

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 56
Send Topic Print