Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Do you support multiculturalism?

Yes. Diversity leads to unity and enrichment.    
  53 (42.7%)
No. How can disunity lead to unity?    
  53 (42.7%)
Undecided.    
  8 (6.5%)
Other.    
  10 (8.1%)

Total votes: 124
« Last Modified by: ex-member DonaldTrump on: May 2nd, 2007 at 4:28pm »

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 56
Send Topic Print
Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why? (Read 110367 times)
barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Re: Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why?
Reply #315 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:12pm

toyko isnt one of the great cities? news to me.

platitudes and silly generalisations without even moving beyond correlation for what makes a city a 'great place' (all the great cities are multiracial/multicultural/cosmopolitian!!!! therefore...) are not real arguments, grey.

ive held back from replying or making substantial posts here for a long time because frankly its not worth it. ive dealt with a complete moron on this forum before (his name was ziggy) attempting to be respectful and deeply comprehensive and was obstructed and ignored by cheap arguments and logical fallacies. its much easier just to be a bad faith actor and a d!ckhead.
« Last Edit: Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:20pm by barnaby joe »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #316 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:21pm

Grey hasn't been to Tokyo so it doesn't count.  Nor Rome, the eternal city.

Imp, it's no good resigning to being one more d!ckhead with bad faith. You gotta differentiate.

IP Logged

barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Reply #317 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:23pm

By nationality      

Foreign residents

for a city of 30,000,000 people that's remarkable. what a horrible, boring, unlively city toyko is. needs more vibrancy (aka brown people, or more broadly, non-japanese people) . i mean worker to retiree ratio, blah blah blah blah, economic meltdown imminent blah blah blah, stagnancy blah blah blah blah, yep, sure. appease the gods of mass immigration, nipponese man!!!

IP Logged

barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Reply #318 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:30pm

http://www.vdare.com/articles/the-new-york-times-says-japan-needs-immigrants-the-japanese-politely-disagree

the author is a yale/sorbonne graduate. he was born and raised in japan by his chrisitan missionary parents until he was 16. he works as a consultant to american companies doing business in japan. he also taught japanese at harvard summer school. he wrote an extensive book about japanese culture that was well recieved by the new york times - its even made its way to dubbo's library. so lets not just start with the name calling and toothless hick aspersions okay.

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #319 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:41pm

barnaby joe wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 6:30pm:
i thought the originator was uh

i forgot his name

horace kallen i think

Kallen (who is news to me) coined the phrase cultural pluralism.

Quote:
Multiculturalism in contemporary Western societies
Monument to Multiculturalism by Francesco Pirelli in Toronto, Canada. Four identical sculptures are located in Buffalo City, South Africa; Changchun, China; Sarajevo, Bosnia and Sydney, Australia.Multiculturalism has been official policy in several Western nations since the 1970s, for reasons that varied from country to country,[18][19][20] including the fact that many of the great cities of the Western world are increasingly made of a mosaic of cultures.[21] However, in recent months, several heads-of-state have expressed doubts about the success of these policies: The United Kingdom's Prime Minister David Cameron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Australia's ex-prime minister John Howard, Spanish ex-premier Jose Maria Aznar and French President Nicolas Sarkozy have voiced concerns about the effectiveness of their multicultural policies for integrating immigrants.[22]

In the Western English-speaking countries, multiculturalism as an official national policy started in Canada in 1971, followed by Australia, where it has since been displaced by assimilation, in 1973.[23] It was quickly adopted as official policy by most member-states of the European Union. Recently, right-of-center governments in several European states—notably the Netherlands and Denmark— have reversed the national policy and returned to an official monoculturalism.[23] A similar reversal is the subject of debate in the United Kingdom, among others, due to evidence of incipient segregation and anxieties over "home-grown" terrorism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Reply #320 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:44pm

Grey wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:41pm:
barnaby joe wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 6:30pm:
i thought the originator was uh

i forgot his name

horace kallen i think

Kallen (who is news to me) coined the phrase cultural pluralism.

Quote:
Multiculturalism in contemporary Western societies
Monument to Multiculturalism by Francesco Pirelli in Toronto, Canada. Four identical sculptures are located in Buffalo City, South Africa; Changchun, China; Sarajevo, Bosnia and Sydney, Australia.Multiculturalism has been official policy in several Western nations since the 1970s, for reasons that varied from country to country,[18][19][20] including the fact that many of the great cities of the Western world are increasingly made of a mosaic of cultures.[21] However, in recent months, several heads-of-state have expressed doubts about the success of these policies: The United Kingdom's Prime Minister David Cameron, German Chancellor Angela Merkel, Australia's ex-prime minister John Howard, Spanish ex-premier Jose Maria Aznar and French President Nicolas Sarkozy have voiced concerns about the effectiveness of their multicultural policies for integrating immigrants.[22]

In the Western English-speaking countries, multiculturalism as an official national policy started in Canada in 1971, followed by Australia, where it has since been displaced by assimilation, in 1973.[23] It was quickly adopted as official policy by most member-states of the European Union. Recently, right-of-center governments in several European states—notably the Netherlands and Denmark— have reversed the national policy and returned to an official monoculturalism.[23] A similar reversal is the subject of debate in the United Kingdom, among others, due to evidence of incipient segregation and anxieties over "home-grown" terrorism.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiculturalism

yeah i read something about horace kallen a long time ago - i dunno how important he really was tbh i was just throwing it out there

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #321 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:54pm

barnaby joe wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:12pm:
toyko isnt one of the great cities? news to me.

platitudes and silly generalisations without even moving beyond correlation for what makes a city a 'great place' (all the great cities are multiracial/multicultural/cosmopolitian!!!! therefore...) are not real arguments, grey.

ive held back from replying or making substantial posts here for a long time because frankly its not worth it. ive dealt with a complete moron on this forum before (his name was ziggy) attempting to be respectful and deeply comprehensive and was obstructed and ignored by cheap arguments and logical fallacies. its much easier just to be a bad faith actor and a d!ckhead.

Well what I said was
Quote:
The great cities of the world are cosmopolitan,

I could have said 'The cosmopolitan cities of the world are great'. I was showing my bias. As you point out Tokyo isn't very cosmopolitan neither is Rome. I personally love Barcelona but excluded that for the same reasons.

Cosmopolitan cities have evolved a culture wherein the latest wave is examined and what is found good adopted enthusiastically and what is bad discouraged and ignored. IMO a city cannot have too much diversity.

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #322 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:57pm

Soren wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:43pm:
So, what to do with bigoted, intolerant, chauvinistic immigrants from alien cultures?
Tell 'em to think positive?

Seems the best option.  Smiley  so other than deportation et al.,  any IDEAS at all Soren???

Interesting stuff Grey -  mind you France UK Germany etc, are tiny, compared to Oz.  And one can discount Howard's inclusion as some sort of affirmation.  Embarrassed

So - with consideration,......  Go For It.!! Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Reply #323 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:57pm

how much is too much.

IP Logged

barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Reply #324 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 11:01pm

here are some great diversity maps.

motown. (detroit)

the big apple.

LaLa Land!

guess which each coloured dot signifies.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #325 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 11:03pm

and re Japan?

never been there but a v good friend is going shortly. Will be very interested to hear the perceptions.

Japan ,  and immigration ??  -  well I can understand their reluctance - yeah? Roll Eyes
Not a large country in space, but large in presence ...and people numbers.
Not much room there.....  Wink

live every day

IP Logged

barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Reply #326 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 11:05pm

Quote:
Not a large country in space, but large in presence ...and people numbers.

havent seen the people in the UK or most western european countries thinking in similiar terms much have you? well, at least the people that run those countries...

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #327 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 11:05pm

Ancient Rome was more 'diverse' than any city then or since - yet it was robustly Roman and there was no notion of plurality of values. Rome was diverse because it was Rome, not because there were a lot of different nationalities living within it.

Rome accommodated no diversity of law and custom. "When in Rome, do as the Romans." You went to Rome to become a Roman, not to be a Nubian in Rome.

It fell when its Romanness was gone and it became a hotch potch of diversity without a strong centre. Same now. A city of diverse populations can be geat only if it has a centre that holds. Diversity is no substitute for a centre. What we see in most of the great cities you listed is that their very core is under assault, deliberately.

IP Logged

barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Reply #328 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 11:06pm

i doubt rome was diverse at all.' diversity' hardly existed before the 20th century because very few people left the village they were born in.

IP Logged

barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Reply #329 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 11:08pm

just like tullamore and mumbil.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 ... 56
Send Topic Print