Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Do you support multiculturalism?

Yes. Diversity leads to unity and enrichment.    
  53 (42.7%)
No. How can disunity lead to unity?    
  53 (42.7%)
Undecided.    
  8 (6.5%)
Other.    
  10 (8.1%)

Total votes: 124
« Last Modified by: ex-member DonaldTrump on: May 2nd, 2007 at 4:28pm »

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 56
Send Topic Print
Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why? (Read 110279 times)
Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Re: Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why?
Reply #300 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:28pm

No f'n spam - i don't deny history.
Your quote seems irrelevant, we're talking about Aus.

Those 'old' conflicts ( no denying religion plays its part in Bosnia..nor racial intolerence in Rwanda)
certainly exist still, in Bosnia  and Rwanda. We have no say in that really.

Only if we further the aims of bigotry are we complicit.  Decent people can make a new start in Aus.
If we 'decent folk' enable them.

live every day

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #301 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:42pm

... wrote on Nov 30th, 2011 at 11:44am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 30th, 2011 at 11:38am:
... wrote on Nov 30th, 2011 at 11:29am:
gizmo_2655 wrote on Nov 30th, 2011 at 11:17am:
... wrote on Nov 29th, 2011 at 6:18pm:
Bob Miller wrote on Nov 27th, 2011 at 9:31pm:
Weighing its Pros and Cons, I am also for multi-culturalism.

You must really like foreign cuisine.  

Well, I like foreign cuisine......and I quite like a lot of foreign born people and their Australian born children too....

I've found that a large number of immigrants are friendly, and go out of their way to learn about our customs and culture....

Of course you like foreign cuisine - how could anyone with a straight face say they don't like 'foreign' food?  

But of course you will be aware that a policy of multiculturalism is not a pre-requisite for foreigners or foreign expertise to enter these shores.  The problem is that the issue is (intentionally) framed  wrong.  It's not like the only alternative to multiculturalism is having a 100% monocultural/monoracial society.  Migrants of all colours are free to come, but they are encouraged to assimilate ie "go out of their way to learn about our customs and culture" - exactly like the greeks, italians, vietnamese that multicult-boosters use to bolster their case were.  

So what would you rather - a collection of tribes, or a coherent, unified culture, whoever it may comprise of?  THAT is the real underlying question.

But that's what multiculturalism IS...encouraging intergration...

No dear friend, ASSIMILATION is what you refer to.  Multiculturalism is encouraging 'new australians' to retain a separate culture.  

From multicultuiralism wiki:

Quote:
Multiculturalism is the appreciation, acceptance or promotion of multiple cultures, applied to the demographic make-up of a specific place, usually at the organizational level, e.g. schools, businesses, neighborhoods, cities, or nations.

In a political context the term is used for a range of meanings, ranging from the advocacy of equal respect to the various cultures in a society, to a policy of promoting the maintenance of cultural diversity, to policies in which people of various ethnic and religious groups are addressed by the authorities as defined by the group they belong to.[1][2] A common aspect of many such policies is that they avoid presenting any specific ethnic, religious, or cultural community values as central.[citation needed]

Multiculturalism is often contrasted with the concepts assimilationism and has been described as a "salad bowl" or "cultural mosaic" rather than a "melting pot."[3]

and from assimilation wiki:

Quote:
Cultural assimilation is a socio-political response to demographic multi-ethnicity that supports or promotes the assimilation of ethnic minorities into the dominant culture. The term assimilation is often used with regard to immigrants and various ethnic groups who have settled in a new land. New customs and attitudes are acquired through contact and communication. The transfer of customs is not simply a one-way process. Each group of immigrants contributes some of its own cultural traits to its new society.

Quote:
Yes. Diversity leads to unity and enrichment.

I voted for that, but I wouldn't vote for multiculturalism. M-C is a government word a bureaucrats word. Beofre it we had a much richer word 'Cosmopolitan'. Cosmopolitan described a society that was, not what we were to be.

Once you try to control a society to be something you rob it, (of individual freedom).  You create resentments, you encourage the formation of gangs and the politics of binary oppositions. The great cities of the world are cosmopolitan, their citizens are rugged individualists. Authority is tolerated but not encouraged. They are London, New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Toronto, Istanbul and Darwin.

"It is in the shelter of each other that the people live" - Irish Proverb

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #302 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:43pm

So, what to do with bigoted, intolerant, chauvinistic immigrants from alien cultures?
Tell 'em to think positive??

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #303 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:46pm

Emma wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:28pm:
No f'n spam - i don't deny history.
Your quote seems irrelevant, we're talking about Aus.

Odin give me strength...this is your quote.

Quote:
Australia, at least in essence a multi-cultural society from the start.  Much like the America's.

Either you were thinking of the US, the arrival of the conquistadors.  or both.  neither had any vision of multiculturalism.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #304 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:51pm

Grey wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:42pm:
I voted for that, but I wouldn't vote for multiculturalism. M-C is a government word a bureaucrats word. Beofre it we had a much richer word 'Cosmopolitan'. Cosmopolitan described a society that was, not what we were to be.

Once you try to control a society to be something you rob it, (of individual freedom).  You create resentments, you encourage the formation of gangs and the politics of binary oppositions. The great cities of the world are cosmopolitan, their citizens are rugged individualists. Authority is tolerated but not encouraged. They are London, New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Toronto, Istanbul and Darwin.

Rootless cosmopolitan (Russian language: безродный космополит, "bezrodniy kosmopolit") was a Soviet euphemism widely used during Joseph Stalin's anti-Semitic campaign of 1948–1953, which culminated in the "exposure" of the alleged Doctors' plot. The term "rootless cosmopolitan" referred mostly (but not explicitly) to Jewish intellectuals, as an accusation in their lack of patriotism, i.e., lack of full allegiance to the Soviet Union. The expression was first coined by Russian literary critic Vissarion Belinsky to describe writers who lacked (Russian) national character.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootless_cosmopolitan

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #305 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:54pm

Soren wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 9:51pm:

Once you try to control a society to be something you rob it, (of individual freedom).  You create resentments, you encourage the formation of gangs and the politics of binary oppositions. The great cities of the world are cosmopolitan, their citizens are rugged individualists. Authority is tolerated but not encouraged. They are London, New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Toronto, Istanbul and Darwin.

Rootless cosmopolitan (Russian language: безродный космополит, "bezrodniy kosmopolit") was a Soviet euphemism widely used during Joseph Stalin's anti-Semitic campaign of 1948–1953, which culminated in the "exposure" of the alleged Doctors' plot. The term "rootless cosmopolitan" referred mostly (but not explicitly) to Jewish intellectuals, as an accusation in their lack of patriotism, i.e., lack of full allegiance to the Soviet Union. The expression was first coined by Russian literary critic Vissarion Belinsky to describe writers who lacked (Russian) national character.[1]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rootless_cosmopolitan

Stalins use of the word is hardly mainstream and he was a vacuuous twat. Why you would want to raise such a minor point is beyond me.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #306 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:02pm

Because you are completely devoid of any understanding of what you are talking about.

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #307 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:05pm

suck on that grey.
Soren has spoken!!!

No... I used  .'the America's' - which includes Canada and Mexico .. for your info Roll Eyes as an example of a WHOLE CONTINENT
which is inhabited by more ethnic diversity of population than most anywhere else on earth. ( We come pretty close I'd say).

They ARE NOT at war with each other.
Least not as an Iran/US/Israel/China dispute may become.

People come together and show their best when presented with a common foe. I think history proves that.

Big bad world out there ...  Smiley

live every day

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #308 - Dec 1st, 2011 at 11:39pm

Soren wrote on Dec 1st, 2011 at 10:02pm:
Because you are completely devoid of any understanding of what you are talking about.

On the contary Soren. I was formed by London and I've been to those other cities with the exception of Toronto. Where were you formed?

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #309 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 12:48am

aye Grey - there be the rub.
That is a good question.

I have asked the same q and been ignored.

I'll ask again - .. you know?  Soren, where ur from?  'Cos you don't sound like a 1st Australian, and you speak up lots but you have no cred.... so wot is your cred Soren??  

Where  you from Bro??
Somewhere in OZ??
Some foreign parts?
Lets hear it.

You know where Grey's from , and you ought to know where I AM FROM,  so ...??
The ??? states of soren.  

live every day

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #310 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:48am

[quote author=jalane3311@yahoo.c link=1178038424/300#307 date=1322741106]suck on that grey.
Soren has spoken!!!

No... I used  .'the America's' - which includes Canada and Mexico .. for your info Roll Eyes as an example of a WHOLE CONTINENT
which is inhabited by more ethnic diversity of population than most anywhere else on earth. ( We come pretty close I'd say).
[quote]

Mexico ain't multicultural, in fact they are fiercely nationalistic.
The US was set up for honkies only - and now the 3rd world floodgates have opened, are on the verge of collapse. 
Canada is the worlds most wussy country.  It has the worlds most vigilant thought police.   It has even less cred on the world stage than Australia.  Hardly a great example.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Grey
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #311 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 11:12am

... wrote on Dec 2nd, 2011 at 10:48am:
[quote author=jalane3311@yahoo.c link=1178038424/300#307 date=1322741106]suck on that grey.
Soren has spoken!!!

[quote]

Mexico ain't multicultural, in fact they are fiercely nationalistic.
The US was set up for honkies only - and now the 3rd world floodgates have opened, are on the verge of collapse.  
Canada is the worlds most wussy country.  It has the worlds most vigilant thought police.   It has even less cred on the world stage than Australia.  Hardly a great example.

I can't fault that. Canada is the originator of Multiculturalism.

IP Logged

barnaby joe
Gold Member

Australian Politics

euchareena
Reply #312 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 6:30pm

i thought the originator was uh

i forgot his name

horace kallen i think

IP Logged

Emma
Gold Member

Australian Politics

OZ
Reply #313 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 6:43pm

But  what do you mean  Grey???
'I can't fault that. Canada is the originator of Multiculturalism.'

?? u agree with f'n spam??  Sigh.... I can't 'elp it.!! Huh

live every day

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #314 - Dec 2nd, 2011 at 9:49pm

The great cities of the world are cosmopolitan, their citizens are rugged individualists. Authority is tolerated but not encouraged. They are London, New York, Hong Kong, Paris, Toronto, Istanbul and Darwin.

These are English, American, Anglo-Chinese, French, Canadian, Turkish and Australian cities. If they were all just 'cosmopolitan' you couldn't tell them apart. But evidently they are not all just McCities.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 21 22 23 ... 56
Send Topic Print