Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Do you support multiculturalism?

Yes. Diversity leads to unity and enrichment.    
  53 (42.7%)
No. How can disunity lead to unity?    
  53 (42.7%)
Undecided.    
  8 (6.5%)
Other.    
  10 (8.1%)

Total votes: 124
« Last Modified by: ex-member DonaldTrump on: May 2nd, 2007 at 4:28pm »

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 56
Send Topic Print
Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why? (Read 110365 times)
Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Re: Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why?
Reply #255 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 5:23pm

Brainwashing? No.

Education and enlightenment that allows them to think critically instead of blindly swallowing the prejudices of their families.

I can't do this, but I'm doing it anyway.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #256 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 5:26pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 5:23pm:
Brainwashing? No.

Education and enlightenment that allows them to think critically instead of blindly swallowing the prejudices of their families.

yeah that's the line....but unfortunately, that's all it is.

If they thought 'critically' about such mantras as 'diversity is strength' they'd soon find that it hasn't a shred of evidence to back it up.  But it doesn't need to - people WANT to believe it.
« Last Edit: Nov 15th, 2011 at 5:36pm by ... »  

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #257 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 6:19pm

I don't believe diversity equals strength.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #258 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 6:22pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 6:19pm:
I don't believe diversity equals strength.

Good, because it is a patently false platitude...one that is oft repeated but rarely questioned.

Would you go so far as to say that diversity breeds conflict?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #259 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 6:41pm

in our society? A lot of the time, yes. But only in the short term and it doesn't have to.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #260 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 6:50pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Nov 15th, 2011 at 6:41pm:
in our society? A lot of the time, yes. But only in the short term and it doesn't have to.

So what you're saying is that if we keep pushing on with a failing policy, it'll eventually come good?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #261 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 6:57pm

That's not even close to what I said.

Nice try, though.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #262 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 7:52pm

Well OK, why heres how i got read it;

Quote:
But only in the short term

If all goes to plan and we all get along in peace and harmony, then in the long term, we all become one, and there is no diversity anymore.

Quote:
it doesn't have to

it doesn't have to if?  if compliance with this unnatural edict is enforced and any dissenting (dare I say diverse?) opinions are weeded out and crushed?  Hmmm...sounds like previous incarnations of the left all over again...

but that's obviously not what you meant.  What did you mean?

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #263 - Nov 15th, 2011 at 9:19pm

Quote:
If all goes to plan and we all get along in peace and harmony, then in the long term, we all become one, and there is no diversity anymore.

Come now, Wesley. That’s a little unrealistic, don’t you think?  Wink

The edges may blur, but there will always be diversity – especially in a time where society is as  globalised as ours.

Quote:
if compliance with this unnatural edict is enforced and any dissenting (dare I say diverse?) opinions are weeded out and crushed?

Proponents of multiculturalism aren’t Nazis. The problem is that we must always have an Other (Lesser) and we are conditioned to view any difference as threatening. I think it will change eventually; we’ll get to a point where cultural preference just won’t matter and we can experience the richness of all cultures, if we choose. I would much prefer that to some kind of bland homogeneity.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #264 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 10:26am

Quote:
The edges may blur, but there will always be diversity – especially in a time where society is as  globalised as ours.

Well since it is so globalized, you've got to ask yourself why we all need to cram together in white countries (and only white countries) If you fancy some Thai culture- go to Thailand.  If you fancy a dash of Indian - go to India.  And if you want some european culture, go to errr....well not europe, since that's no longer for europeans.....erm...well I guess theres no room on this big green planet for whites to call their own.

Quote:
Proponents of multiculturalism aren’t Nazis. The problem is that we must always have an Other (Lesser) and we are conditioned to view any difference as threatening. I think it will change eventually;

Yes, we do need an other. We always have, and theres no reason to suggest that this part of our nature is going to wane.  Theres more chance of the complete opposite - every non-white can openly identify with and give favour along racial lines.  This group solidarity gives them an advantage over a non-unified group such as...................whites.  When you get a clear advantage from doing things one way, changing to the opposite isn't going to happen.

Quote:
we’ll get to a point where cultural preference just won’t matter and we can experience the richness of all cultures, if we choose.

The only way that cultural prefernces won't matter is if there are no cultural differnces at all.  A defining trait of one culture may be abhorrent to another.  Look at the muslim/western contrast for example. Or islam/judaism. or shiite/sunni muslims.

Quote:
I would much prefer that to some kind of bland homogeneity.

This is irreconcilable with your previous staments.  On the one hand, race or culture is irrelevant, but on the other, an absence of different race/cultures provides nothing but 'bland homogeneity'. We're often told that 'there is more variation within a race than between them' - you can't have it both ways.  
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2011 at 10:53am by ... »  

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #265 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 1:11pm

Quote:
The only way that cultural prefernces won't matter is if there are no cultural differnces at all.  A defining trait of one culture may be abhorrent to another.

As long as cultural practices abide by the law of the country in which its members reside, too bad. Why do you care so much about what other people do when it has absolutely no effect on you?

Quote:
This is irreconcilable with your previous staments.  On the one hand, race or culture is irrelevant, but on the other, an absence of different race/cultures provides nothing but 'bland homogeneity'

No, you just failed to grasp my meaning., I never said race and culture are irrelevant. My point was that I hope we get to the point where other people's cultural practices aren't personally offensive. There is richness in diversity, if not strength.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #266 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 1:22pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Nov 16th, 2011 at 1:11pm:
[quote]The only way that cultural prefernces won't matter is if there are no cultural differences at all.  A defining trait of one culture may be abhorrent to another.

As long as cultural practices abide by the law of the country in which its members reside, too bad. Why do you care so much about what other people do when it has absolutely no effect on you?

I don't really care what others do, I more or less keep to myself.  But as part of the majority, I am a part of the only group that has restrictions placed on it.  Example:  I saw a show on ABC the other night - Miss south sudan australia.  Now ask yourself why it's OK for them to hold such a narrowly defined, exclusive event - not just miss africa, or miss sudan, no, this is miss SOUTH sudan.  I wouldn't begrudge them celebrating their group identity, if it was uniform across the board.  Can you imagine the outcry (ironically, the only people who would make a fuss would be white) if I ran a miss white australia contest?  The 'rules' either apply to all, or to none.  Persoanlyl, I'd rather none at all.

IP Logged

Annie Anthrax
Gold Member

Take the plan, spin it
sideways

Reply #267 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 4:15pm

Unless it was Miss Black South Sudan, your analogy is flawed.

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #268 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 4:36pm

Annie Anthrax wrote on Nov 16th, 2011 at 4:15pm:
Unless it was Miss Black South Sudan, your analogy is flawed.

LOL.  umm it's kinda implied.  There's not that many honkies in south sudan.  Maybe they're all in North Sudan, which is why they were excluded.

Anyhoo, here are the contestants.  Guess how many honkies there are?

http://misssouthsudan.com.au/contestants
« Last Edit: Nov 16th, 2011 at 4:49pm by ... »  

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #269 - Nov 16th, 2011 at 4:54pm

Maybe the violence was due to 'anti-racists' storming the place and demanding they cease their abhorrent, discriminatory racially-based contest.  Or maybe it's just africans being africans.   

Quote:
VIOLENT brawls at three African beauty pageants in the past year have increased pressure on organisers and police to abolish the events.
In the latest incident in Melbourne early yesterday morning, a man was repeatedly slashed with a machete and a bicycle chain in a wild street fight outside a party advertised in connection to Saturday night's Miss South Sudan Australia pageant.

Last October, four men were stabbed in a brawl involving up to 100 people, many of whom had travelled from interstate for a Miss Africa pageant.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/nation/violence-clouds-future-of-african-pa...

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 ... 56
Send Topic Print