Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Do you support multiculturalism?

Yes. Diversity leads to unity and enrichment.    
  53 (42.7%)
No. How can disunity lead to unity?    
  53 (42.7%)
Undecided.    
  8 (6.5%)
Other.    
  10 (8.1%)

Total votes: 124
« Last Modified by: ex-member DonaldTrump on: May 2nd, 2007 at 4:28pm »

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 56
Send Topic Print
Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why? (Read 110283 times)
muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Re: Do you support multiculturalism? If so, why?
Reply #225 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 9:38pm

... wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 11:30am:
But cynicism aside, I'll sum it all up in a nutshell - the host culture must take precedence over imported cultures.  No affirmative action quotas.  Discrimination, or what one perceives to be so, should not carry punitive measures - if a business owner decides to discriminate against a superior foreigner and hire an inferior local instead, then that is punishment enough.

OK, I understand your position now.  The International Convention on the Elimination of All Forms of Racial Discrimination has been signed by virtually every country in the world, with the five exceptions that I quoted earlier, and one of those is too poor to support international conventions. 

In fact, it's been around since 1969 (42 years). While I can understand that reverse discrimination is an issue, the basic premise is based on nothing other than human decency and the recognition of the effects arising from racial discrimination. 

Now you're suggesting that it's ok to discriminate, and you want to set the clock back 40 years.

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #226 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 9:45pm

It's OK to discriminate on the basis of culture.

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #227 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 9:58pm

'Multiculturalism' is the reverse side of the West's 'Globalisation' coin!

We 'Westerners' are reaping nothing other than what we have sown!

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #228 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:06pm

Equitist wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 9:58pm:

Thank you for agreeing that it is a BAD THING (the just desert for being BAD).

IP Logged

Equitist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW
Reply #229 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:09pm

Soren wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:06pm:

Not necessarily - I was just pointing out the hypocrisy involved!

Lamenting the shift in the Australian psyche, away from the egalitarian ideal of the fair-go - and the rise of short-sighted pollies, who worship the 'Growth Fairy' and seek to divide and conquer!

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #230 - Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:23pm

Equitist wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:09pm:
Soren wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 10:06pm:

Not necessarily - I was just pointing out the hypocrisy involved!

Of course you weren't. You pointed out that one bad turn deserves another.

What do you think about the gold reserve vs globalisation vis a vis multiculturalism? I hope you prefer kittens.
What?? Not necessaily?

Grin

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #231 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 7:55am

Soren wrote on Aug 16th, 2011 at 9:45pm:

So do you think it's ok to discriminate on the basis of "white" culture? That's what I believe Wesley was suggesting.

So you can say bugger off, we don't employ people of negro "culture" or Mongolian "Culture" ?

You're just hiding behind the term "culture".

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #232 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 10:34am

muso wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 7:55am:

So do you think it's ok to discriminate on the basis of "white" culture? That's what I believe Wesley was suggesting.

So you can say bugger off, we don't employ people of negro "culture" or Mongolian "Culture" ?

Nonsense.  I identify with and value western culture. I also think that it is open to all races, even though it has become what it is in countries of white people. It produced everything I value about culture. It may not be perfect in all aspects but it is better than any other existing culture.
It is the only culture that has developed the cultural goods I value and identify with or has developed them to the highest degree.  Tintedness is no impediment to absorbing these cultural values. VS Naipaul is my favourite example of a West Indian Indian who has become a great Englishman (ie a European).
I think non-European cultures are inferior cultures. They may have good things about them but they are not better than the corresponding Western values.  Most if not all of them have a view of the human person that I object to and find alien and, in comparison to western values, degrading and backward. The good thing is that no-one is trapped in his culture as he is trapped in his skin. A person can learn and change. If he is free - a westren cultural good of the first order.

I fart in the general direction of any PC insinuation  that I ought to somehow wring my hands about western history or culture. It has done a great deal more good for the world than all the other cultures put together. Nothing to regret in that direction. It is better. Why pretend otherwise or why deny it?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #233 - Aug 17th, 2011 at 11:05am

Quote:
Now you're suggesting that it's ok to discriminate, and you want to set the clock back 40 years.

Has our world become fundamentally and undeniably better in those 40 years?

Sometimes people get it wrong.  To use some examples you might accept - the immigration restriction act 1901 aka white australia policy was widely embraced by australians for over 50 years.  Nowadays it's 'obviously' sooo wrong.  Colonising and 'civilising the natives' was the most noble of causes - now it's abhorrent. 

Were it not for brave souls (like myself) fighting the status quo, these would all still be reality.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #234 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 3:52pm

muso wrote on Aug 17th, 2011 at 7:55am:

White culture, western culture - what's the difference?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #235 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 10:27am

Quote:
An international survey of 23 countries by Ipsos has found opposition to immigration in numerous countries across the world, with majorities often considering its effects to be negative and its scale excessive. European nations were typical of this trend.
Majorities in countries as diverse as Germany, South Africa, Russia, Turkey and the United States were found to consider immigration to have a "very or fairly negative impact".

Anti-immigration sentiment was particularly strong in Europe, with over 65% of Spaniards, Italians and British polled strongly or partly agreeing that "there are too many immigrants in our country".Sweden and Poland were the only European countries surveyed that did not have majorities who considered immigration to have a negative impact. In no country did a majority consider immigration to have been beneficial.Majorities in most EU countries surveyed agreed that immigration had made it more difficult for citizens to find employment and "placed too much pressure on public services," such as health care and education.

Anti-immigrant sentiment has put significant strain on freedom of movement within the EU. On 11 August, the European Commission approved Spain's measures to exclude Romanian workers from its labour market. The Spanish unemployment rate is by far the highest in the EU at 21%. Bulgaria and Romania recently saw their accession to the Schengen border-free area postponed.

The Dutch and Danish governments, whose parliamentary majorities are dependent on the support of far-right anti-immigrant parties, have pushed particularly hard to limit immigration. In the case of Denmark, the unilateral imposition of new border controls was harshly criticised by the European Commission and Germany.

http://www.euractiv.com/en/socialeurope/europeans-overwhelmingly-immigration-pol...

So much for democracy aye?

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #236 - Aug 24th, 2011 at 2:05pm

Multiculturalism is the stupidest and most insidious of 'isms (the two probably propel each other): it declares that there is nothing to discuss when it comes to different cultures and what's good and bad about them and anyone who does want to discuss differences is a racist.

It's so stupid that it expects everyone to declare that their chief value is to value everyone else's values more than they value their own values.

What can be more contemptible and stupid?

IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #237 - Aug 25th, 2011 at 12:23pm

Soren wrote on Aug 24th, 2011 at 2:05pm:
Multiculturalism is the stupidest and most insidious of 'isms (the two probably propel each other): it declares that there is nothing to discuss when it comes to different cultures and what's good and bad about them and anyone who does want to discuss differences is a racist.

It's so stupid that it expects everyone to declare that their chief value is to value everyone else's values more than they value their own values.

What can be more contemptible and stupid?

For a general citizen to support it is the height of stupidity.  At no time, and in no place has it ever succeeded in its stated aims, nor will it in future.

But for a person/group who's aim is to fragment society to enable greater control, it is a highly effective masterstroke of genius.

IP Logged

Tsfen

Australian Politics

Reply #238 - Sep 4th, 2011 at 5:11pm

Progs wrote on May 29th, 2007 at 5:09pm:
Quote:
Naturally, i voted no.
How can alien cultures and religious systems live together when they all hold different aims?
There has been no nation in history who has had multiculturism and succeded in the long run.
Number one example- the soviet union.
Number two example- the ottoman empire
Number three example- the roman empire.
And what about the british empire? it only exists in white countries.
So no is my answer.

You seem to be forgetting a little country called the US of A. Or is America a failure too?

You are right, the USA is a perfect example of multiculturalism. Black gangs killing white gangs who in turn kill asian gangs and mexican / latino gangs all of whom smuggle drugs, people and semi automatic weapons.

The underlying psychology is that a race needs to protect itself from other races that live in the same place. This is why multiculturalism is a failure. Many cultures can only live together if they do not identify themselves as of a different culture but understand that they have CHOSEN to JOIN a NEW CULTURE. In order to join this culture they must ASSIMILATE. A process by which one acknowledges that the culture that they are joining supersedes the culture that they are leaving behind.

If immigrants cannot do this, they should not be here.

So lets not turn Australia into the wonderful success of a little country known as US of A.

IP Logged

athos
Gold Member

Re-educate barbarians

Hong Kong
Reply #239 - Sep 18th, 2011 at 8:56pm

Progs wrote on May 29th, 2007 at 4:51pm:
I support multiculturalism for one reason. The FOOD.

I support multiculturalism because of exotic chicks.
You don't need to travel around the world you can all taste them here.
Well than make choice be racist and continue jerking or enjoy all those exotic beauties

« Last Edit: Sep 18th, 2011 at 9:22pm by athos »  

Do we need to be always politically correct.
In the world of universal deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 56
Send Topic Print