Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Pipeline along the East Coast? (Read 3453 times)
ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Pipeline along the East Coast?
May 2nd, 2007 at 1:45am

Was just wondering whether anyone else has thought about it and thinks it's a good solution to the water crisis in Australia.

North Queensland, particularly in the Hervey Bay and Rockhampton areas, has been having record rainfalls for years whilst the southern parts of Australia have been drought stricken.

They have a similar pipeline running through Western Australia... from Perth to Kalgoorie if I remember correctly. The longest water pipeline in the world I think.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to build a pipeline along the railroads from North Qld to Victoria?

Someone told me the idea had already been suggested by the now President of the Carlton football club (A billionaire), ten years ago, but was rejected because politicians and the banks thought it was a nutty idea and too costly for so little in return.

To me... we should be taking advantage of the water that we have and the longest pipeline should be built along the East Coast of Australia to solve the drought crisis. And we wouldn't even have to drink sewerage water.  Cheesy

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Pipeline along the East Coast?
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2007 at 9:13am

You call Hervey Bay North QLD? Even Rocky is questionable.

It has been suggested by prominent politicians to pump water from the far north to the south east corner of QLD, but knocked back on the grounds of cost. A far cheaper solution would be to pump water from Northern NSW into Brisbane. You don't just need rain, you need rivers. Rainfall on the coastal sand and swamps isn't much help.

Wouldn't it be a good idea to build a pipeline along the railroads from North Qld to Victoria?

I suspect desal would be cheaper.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2007 at 9:25am

My area and the two councils involved have decided to do just that - build a pipeline from Mardi Dam, which is always overflowing to Mangrove Creek Dam - a length of 21 kms. 

This project will take 7 years - which seems a long time for such a short distance, but it will be worth it when it's finished as we hopefully won't have to worry about resrictions again.

Quote:
Rainfall on the coastal sand and swamps isn't much help. 

Why is that Freediver?

Where I live we get a lot of rain which of course goes straight down the drains, but we have underground water - the area once being a swamp.  The council unfortunately as a stop gap situation is going to access the bores this month to top up our water supply.  This isn't an ideal situation obviously as many of us rely on bore water and once an aquafter is drained, nobody knows how long it takes to refill.  This could also cause the destruction of what remains of our old trees.

But there would be aquafers all up and down the east coast I would assume.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - May 2nd, 2007 at 9:29am

Why is that Freediver?

It is difficult to collect and store. Why do you think our cities get their water from huge dams in the hills, while there is plenty of water falling inside the suburbs themselves that is more of a nuisance than anything. We pay a lot to get rid of it quickly.

But there would be aquafers all up and down the east coast I would assume.

Most of them are already being drained far faster than they are bein replenished. It's not worth investing much infrastructure in harvesting the water.

IP Logged

maille
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 2nd, 2007 at 11:34am

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on May 2nd, 2007 at 1:45am:
Was just wondering whether anyone else has thought about it and thinks it's a good solution to the water crisis in Australia.

North Queensland, particularly in the Hervey Bay and Rockhampton areas, has been having record rainfalls for years whilst the southern parts of Australia have been drought stricken.

They have a similar pipeline running through Western Australia... from Perth to Kalgoorie if I remember correctly. The longest water pipeline in the world I think.

Someone told me the idea had already been suggested by the now President of the Carlton football club (A billionaire), ten years ago, but was rejected because politicians and the banks thought it was a nutty idea and too costly for so little in return.

To me... we should be taking advantage of the water that we have and the longest pipeline should be built along the East Coast of Australia to solve the drought crisis. And we wouldn't even have to drink sewerage water.  Cheesy

Makes perfect sense Donald to harness this water and beats drinking sewage. Clean fresh water.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #5 - May 2nd, 2007 at 1:48pm

I like the idea of diverting some of the annual rainfall from NT to go inland.

Extra water in the interior will equal more humidity, more rain , more betterer.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - May 2nd, 2007 at 3:29pm

I don't think you would get a significant amount of evaporated water back as rain. I think that deep in the amazon, 50% of evaporation falls back as rain (or is it 50% of rain comes from terrestrial evaporation?). However that is an unusual set of circumstances.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print