Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print
A more balanced parliament (Read 2931 times)
Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

A more balanced parliament
Apr 27th, 2007 at 11:10am

As it is most of the parliamentarians are lawyers. next biggest group are accountants.

If we have a good representation of scientists and business entrepreneurs that may help us dramatically.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: A more balanced parliament
Reply #1 - Feb 23rd, 2021 at 11:07pm

Lawyers are more orthodox to Politics than Accountants (Maths).
Personally I think Banks and Accountants should run our Economy (let the Politicians just run Politics).
They know how to get rich and they can take us all with them on the gravy train.

A Member of Politics, Art, Science, Sport, Music, Medicine, Environment/Farming, Maths (Economics) and many others should sit down at a Summit and discuss the future of this country each year.
Obviously at the moment, a Doctor would have the Seat among them all.

Tonight's Necromancy is proudly bought to you by JaSin. Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:16am

The two worst groups to run a country that could possibly be envisioned.

Lawyers lie for a living,
Morality, truth, honesty and justice are foreign words to this group of parasites.
Their entire existence revolves around getting criminals off scott free for a price.

Accountants, well they have proven themselves in Australian industry.....they are useless.
Focussed on short term gains and never considering long term benifits.
These seagull managers move into a company sack the operational staff cut services and claim a reduction in costs.
They then leave and the next poor sod has to contend with too few inexperienced staff to provide the required services and a dwindling client base.

More successful countries use engineers and other professions as management
They look at long term viability, organisational stability and modernization.

But to put lawyers and accountants into politics..................no wonder we have the worst politicians and grubberment on earth.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:35am

So you dont like teachers lawyers or accountants - what professionals do you like?

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:04am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:35am:
So you dont like teachers lawyers or accountants - what professionals do you like?

Spot

True professionals.
Not teaching , which has a dismally low entry requirement, the lowest of any "profession"
Certainly not lawers, who are born liars, and most often criminally connected.
Accountants simply fiddle numbers, looking for ways to avoid doing the right thing.
If businesses paid the right tax and the seriously wealthy paid their fair share, the average person would have to pay little or no tax.

You can add doctors to the list if you like
It it weren't for chemists, doctors would still be dancing around shaking rattles and calling on various gods to heal people. They are overpaid mechanics who aren't very good at what they do.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

Prime Minister for Canyons
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Canberra
Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:19am

Valkie wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 10:04am:
Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:35am:

Spot

True professionals.
Not teaching , which has a dismally low entry requirement, the lowest of any "profession"
Certainly not lawers, who are born liars, and most often criminally connected.
Accountants simply fiddle numbers, looking for ways to avoid doing the right thing.
If businesses paid the right tax and the seriously wealthy paid their fair share, the average person would have to pay little or no tax.

You can add doctors to the list if you like
It it weren't for chemists, doctors would still be dancing around shaking rattles and calling on various gods to heal people. They are overpaid mechanics who aren't very good at what they do.

It it weren't for chemists, doctors would still be dancing around shaking rattles and calling on various gods to heal people.

You mean pharmacologists.

In a time of universal deceit — telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

No evidence whatsoever it can be attributed to George Orwell or Eric Arthur Blair (in fact the same guy)

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 11:18am

How about including some cops who could articulate their views on how to reduce the rampant crime in the community, and how to weed out idiot drivers on the roads, and how to select Parliament staffers of good character so as to reduce sexual assault

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Belgarion
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 11:41am

The last few decades have see the rise of the 'political class' in Australia and other western nations. People who study law or politics at university, go to work in an MPs office licking envelopes and gradually working their way up through the party until they get a run at parliament themselves.  These people have never worked outside politics or closely related fields like law or the union movement and have no concept of the way things work for the vast majority of Australians. 

At the moment these types have a tight grip on the political reins, but all is not yet lost.  We do have a few ex service personnel in parliament these days - not counting lawyers like Reynolds or McGowan - and people like Hanson who are definitely outside the fold.  We need more of these types to counter the lawyers and bean counters who infest the place.
« Last Edit: Feb 24th, 2021 at 12:57pm by Belgarion »  

"I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

Voltaire.....(possibly)

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 1:13pm

Belgarion wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 11:41am:
The last few decades have see the rise of the 'political class' in Australia and other western nations. People who study law or politics at university, go to work in an MPs office licking envelopes and gradually working their way up through the party until they get a run at parliament themselves.  These people have never worked outside politics or closely related fields like law or the union movement and have no concept of the way things work for the vast majority of Australians. 

At the moment these types have a tight grip on the political reins, but all is not yet lost.  We do have a few ex service personnel in parliament these days - not counting lawyers like Reynolds or McGowan - and people like Hanson who are definitely outside the fold.  We need more of these types to counter the lawyers and bean counters who infest the place.

Yes, exactly.
But the clique ostracize any who may threaten their hold on the reigns of power.

Latham tried to get them to reduce their rort and gratuities, and look what happened to him.

Hanson dared to threaten their hold and was gaoled for her audacity.

There are a few others, but the parasites close ranks and harass the good ones to the point of leaving.

The only real cure is to start with a clean slate and wipe the board clean.

Preferably with a guillotine.

I HAVE A DREAM

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 2:22pm

dan ran a small business
he ran a farm
he had a coffee shop franchise
he mowed lawns on the weekend
he borrowed money to start a tech company
he lay in bed at night sweating about his business loans
he ran several gyms'
he trained as a chef and opened a resturant.

now we are proud to have him as our war time leader

(actually after he finished his 8 years doing an arts degree , he became a political staffer Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes)

but look at that keen eye.
that entrepreneurial face
winner winner chicken dinner

IP Logged

aquascoot
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 2:24pm

this guy was a cop working the tough streets

strong powerful resourceful influential

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 3:09pm

Some good points brought up.
My take on the Banks is good and bad. The Australian Big 4 Banks are very high on the list of best performing Banks in the world. But we also know that many Customers have been ripped off blind by these Banks too - to get to that ranking, as we have seen recently.

There are some really good Politicians and we've seen some shockers. But thankfully we've not had Politicians like many other nations have - who basically destroy their nations ( the CIA have been busted many times funding these Politicians under the table to keep their nations weak as a potential competitor to the USA, while they get the Media to blast them over the table for their evil ways. It still goes on.)

PM's serve the USA (Rudd served China more, didn't like Murdoch, was replaced by Gillard, who loved America more than this country - let alone just hate men).
Gov-Generals serve the UK.

...only Premiers seem to serve Australia. Maybe we should have Premier Summits who sit down and tell the PM's and Gov-Generals what to do?

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:35pm

Start by making it a form of national service with salary and perks to suit... that would deter the 'career' politicians who are blatantly in it for the lifetime easy ride...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #13 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:39pm

aquascoot wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 2:24pm:
this guy was a cop working the tough streets

strong powerful resourceful influential

And steeped in the fine arts of perverting the course of justice, perjury and obfuscation..

Get out more...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #14 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:41pm

Grappler Truth Teller Feller wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 6:35pm:
Start by making it a form of national service with salary and perks to suit... that would deter the 'career' politicians who are blatantly in it for the lifetime easy ride...

Now that's a Ripper.
Cool

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 7:02pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 27th, 2007 at 11:10am:
As it is most of the parliamentarians are lawyers. next biggest group are accountants.

If we have a good representation of scientists and business entrepreneurs that may help us dramatically.

Business people makes sense. The only reason we don't have more is that they would have to take a massive pay cut to deal with twice as much BS.

Scientists not. Science does not really give you any useful tools for politics or management.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 8:02pm

freediver wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 7:02pm:

Business people makes sense. The only reason we don't have more is that they would have to take a massive pay cut to deal with twice as much BS.

Scientists not. Science does not really give you any useful tools for politics or management.

Trump apparently didn't to the Media's perception of Politics.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:35pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 8:02pm:

Trump apparently didn't to the Media's perception of Politics.

He said business people not failed business people ?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:38pm

Bad news Sprintcycle - you must be wrong, I agree with you.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:40pm

I gather Trump was the American Ranga version of this Brownie from the Middle-East
"A River to his People".

Wink

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:42pm

I would find room for some science - idea's people less enthusiastic about business people, the type of business person most likely attracted would come from a low position on the morality measure. We already have an excess of that skill.

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #21 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 5:12pm

Absolutely no way!!!. They already control most everything from the back office, and you want to give them direct control so the needs and wants of the common woman and man can be totally ignored.

If you want to genuinely address the imbalance then sortition should appeal to you. In Ancient Athens, in addition to the general assembly of citizens who would make the major decisions (Will we go to war or not and how will we spend the money) there was also a council of 500 who were selected every 2 years from all the citizens (farmers, blacksmiths, weavers, potters, swordsmiths etc) NOT by election but by lottery and they made the more minor decisions and also prepared matters for consideration by the Assembly. The beauty of sortition is that it eliminates the need for politicians because the 2 major decision making bodies are the General Assembly and a council selected on rotation by lottery and not elections.  The system greatly reduces corruption and makes better decisions because the decision makers are not bought politicians or politicians more interested in wining or keeping their jobs than what the people want. 

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #22 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 7:57pm

Most government decisions are made for the benefit of business people today imagine how much worse if they were running the show.

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #23 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 9:38pm

Dnarever wrote on Feb 25th, 2021 at 7:57pm:

Most government decisions are made for the benefit of business people today imagine how much worse if they were running the show.

Exactly!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 9:50pm

Dnarever wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:42pm:

I would find room for some science - idea's people less enthusiastic about business people, the type of business person most likely attracted would come from a low position on the morality measure. We already have an excess of that skill.

Have you met a lot of scientists?

How would it make a difference?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #25 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 10:33pm

freediver wrote on Feb 25th, 2021 at 9:50pm:
Dnarever wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:42pm:

Have you met a lot of scientists?

Worked with a few.

One was a physicist, lectured at Syd Uni 2 days a week and for the CSIRO 3 days. Very smart guy, smarter than 95% of our politicians.

Quote:

Skew political policy even further in the wrong direction and entrench corruption deeper than it already is.

More hostile towards workers.

More focused on unfair industrial policy

No redeeming factors.

Make bad government even worse. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print