Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
A more balanced parliament (Read 2939 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: A more balanced parliament
Reply #15 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 7:02pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 27th, 2007 at 11:10am:
As it is most of the parliamentarians are lawyers. next biggest group are accountants.

If we have a good representation of scientists and business entrepreneurs that may help us dramatically.

Business people makes sense. The only reason we don't have more is that they would have to take a massive pay cut to deal with twice as much BS.

Scientists not. Science does not really give you any useful tools for politics or management.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #16 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 8:02pm

freediver wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 7:02pm:
As it is most of the parliamentarians are lawyers. next biggest group are accountants.

If we have a good representation of scientists and business entrepreneurs that may help us dramatically.

Business people makes sense. The only reason we don't have more is that they would have to take a massive pay cut to deal with twice as much BS.

Scientists not. Science does not really give you any useful tools for politics or management.

Trump apparently didn't to the Media's perception of Politics.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #17 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:35pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 8:02pm:

Trump apparently didn't to the Media's perception of Politics.

He said business people not failed business people ?

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #18 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:38pm

Bad news Sprintcycle - you must be wrong, I agree with you.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #19 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:40pm

I gather Trump was the American Ranga version of this Brownie from the Middle-East
"A River to his People".

Wink

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #20 - Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:42pm

I would find room for some science - idea's people less enthusiastic about business people, the type of business person most likely attracted would come from a low position on the morality measure. We already have an excess of that skill.

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #21 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 5:12pm

Absolutely no way!!!. They already control most everything from the back office, and you want to give them direct control so the needs and wants of the common woman and man can be totally ignored.

If you want to genuinely address the imbalance then sortition should appeal to you. In Ancient Athens, in addition to the general assembly of citizens who would make the major decisions (Will we go to war or not and how will we spend the money) there was also a council of 500 who were selected every 2 years from all the citizens (farmers, blacksmiths, weavers, potters, swordsmiths etc) NOT by election but by lottery and they made the more minor decisions and also prepared matters for consideration by the Assembly. The beauty of sortition is that it eliminates the need for politicians because the 2 major decision making bodies are the General Assembly and a council selected on rotation by lottery and not elections.  The system greatly reduces corruption and makes better decisions because the decision makers are not bought politicians or politicians more interested in wining or keeping their jobs than what the people want. 

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #22 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 7:57pm

Most government decisions are made for the benefit of business people today imagine how much worse if they were running the show.

IP Logged

Jest
Gold Member

Australian Politics

NSW South Coast
Reply #23 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 9:38pm

Dnarever wrote on Feb 25th, 2021 at 7:57pm:

Most government decisions are made for the benefit of business people today imagine how much worse if they were running the show.

Exactly!

Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #24 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 9:50pm

Dnarever wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:42pm:

I would find room for some science - idea's people less enthusiastic about business people, the type of business person most likely attracted would come from a low position on the morality measure. We already have an excess of that skill.

Have you met a lot of scientists?

How would it make a difference?

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #25 - Feb 25th, 2021 at 10:33pm

freediver wrote on Feb 25th, 2021 at 9:50pm:
Dnarever wrote on Feb 24th, 2021 at 9:42pm:

Have you met a lot of scientists?

Worked with a few.

One was a physicist, lectured at Syd Uni 2 days a week and for the CSIRO 3 days. Very smart guy, smarter than 95% of our politicians.

Quote:

Skew political policy even further in the wrong direction and entrench corruption deeper than it already is.

More hostile towards workers.

More focused on unfair industrial policy

No redeeming factors.

Make bad government even worse. 

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print