Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Should the breast plate be....

« Last Modified by: ozadmin on: Aug 2nd, 2007 at 3:46pm »

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Burke & Wills breastplate declared abor. artefact (Read 7246 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Burke & Wills breastplate declared abor. artefact
Apr 23rd, 2007 at 7:14pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Historic-breastplate-barred-from-sale/2007/04/23/1177180554694.html

The South Australian government has barred a ceremonial breastplate linked to the ill-fated Burke and Wills expedition to cross Australia in 1860 from being sold.

The 20-centimetre brass breastplate, valued at up to $200,000 was found by two brothers, Eric and Klaus Ganzert, in South Australia's far north-east in 2001.

It was to have been auctioned on Tuesday but Aboriginal Affairs Minister Jay Weatherill said he had stepped in to declare it an Aboriginal object of significance and prevented the sale going ahead.

"I have satisfied myself that it is an item of Aboriginal heritage and now it's a question of investigating its true ownership."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Re: Burke & Wills breastplate declared abor. artef
Reply #1 - May 28th, 2007 at 3:32pm

Quote:
The South Australian government has barred a ceremonial breastplate linked to the ill-fated Burke and Wills expedition to cross Australia in 1860 from being sold.

The 20-centimetre brass breastplate, valued at up to $200,000 was found by two brothers, Eric and Klaus Ganzert, in South Australia's far north-east in 2001.

It was to have been auctioned on Tuesday but Aboriginal Affairs Minister Jay Weatherill said he had stepped in to declare it an Aboriginal object of significance and prevented the sale going ahead.

"I have satisfied myself that it is an item of Aboriginal heritage and now it's a question of investigating its true ownership."

Oh what a load of crap.

This is a piece of australian history, not of the abo's.
Jay weatherill is a
DICKHEAD.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - May 28th, 2007 at 3:39pm

Welcome back AN, haven't seen you here in a while. Glad to see you haven't lost your form.

IP Logged

oceans_blue
Ex Member

Reply #3 - May 28th, 2007 at 3:41pm

Quote:
Quote:

Oh what a load of crap.

This is a piece of australian history, not of the abo's.
Jay weatherill is a
DICKHEAD.

agreed us Nat.. Smiley

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #4 - May 28th, 2007 at 3:43pm

freediver wrote on May 28th, 2007 at 3:39pm:
Welcome back AN, haven't seen you here in a while. Glad to see you haven't lost your form.

Thanks. ive been away on business. good to be back. Smiley

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #5 - May 28th, 2007 at 5:52pm

Haha. Can't get enough of AusNat telling it like it is.  Grin Wink

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

anon(Guest)

Reply #6 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 8:39pm

that petition to class the breastplate as an item of aboriginal significance has riased the $$ from $100, 000 to $4MILL. Admittedly the gantzert bros have to give half of that to the aboriginal people, so they can expect a 2000% increase on their find. Not a bad result for all concerned
isn't it....... you nationalistic shitheads?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 9:13pm

You seem angry about something. Why?

IP Logged

anon(Guest)

Reply #8 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 9:52pm

Not angry, just offended.
I don't think anyone (including the Ganzert bros) wanted the find to go offshore, now whoever buys it will have to provide it for display 1 yr out of 4 in Oz, and pay a bigger ticket price both to the finders and the original owners. 
Win Aust history + win ganzert bros + win to the folks who (after all) earned the medal.
And yes, it is a significant moment in australian history when 2 german/aussie brothers -stumble accross an icon of cooperation between aboriginal people and anglo explorers lost in the sands of time whilst pig shooting.
to say 'our history, not the abo's' kinda fails to capture the moment - dontcha think?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 10:21pm

to say 'our history, not the abo's' kinda fails to capture the moment - dontcha think? 

I still don't get why it was declared an aboriginal artefact. It has no spiritual significance to them, they never owned it, it's not their bones or anything. It's a European import. I wouldn't try to claim white or black ownership of history, but claiming they somehow own the breastplate is silly. Next they'll claim ownership of the first gun used to shoot Aborigines.

What offends you?

IP Logged

anon(Guest)

Reply #10 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 4:47pm

Okay, the breast plate is akin to a medal - one of three given to aboriginals in recognition of the service they offered to burke and wills. They fed Burke and Wills and other members of the exploration party - but Burke scared them aff by shooting his pistol in the air. He and Wills died of starvation after that. Another member of their party accepted their help (John King) - and for that reason, was the sole survivor.

The breastplates were 'Presented to______ by the Exploration Committee of Victoria for the humanity shown to the explorers Burke Wills and King 1861' - or so reads the inscription on the actual breastplate. It was a medal given in recognition of service, so yes, it did belong to an aboriginal person. We know only 3 medals were created, and Howitt (the bushman sent to recue King) names in his journal 5 people who were of the greatest help to the Burk&Wills party: Tchukulow, Mungallee, Toquunter, Pitchery, Borokow and Pruriekow, and Carrawaw. It's a fair guess that the breastplate originally belonged to one of these aboriginal people.

If someone were to find my grandfather's war medals - I would hope I'd have some sort of claim over them. Failing that I'd wish Veterans affairs could halt a sale whilst they looked into the matter. 

Also, it wasn't claimed to be an 'aboriginal artefact' but an 'object of significance' to aboriginal people. Please tell me that we can say to the aboriginal people that it is significant to their cultural history that at one time they recieved gratitude from the colonial government for the help they offered men in need - even after being chased off with a gun.

The amazing thing about this it is such a significant for both black and white history - your quip about 'the first gun used to shoot aboriginals' shows you're aware how rare proof of aboriginal and colonial cooperation is. The fact it has positive cultural relevance to both black and white is a rare thing.

Find it, save it and preserve it. There's precious little we've got to proove that aboriginal people have been treated well at times in our nation's history.      

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #11 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 4:53pm

Thanks, that makes a bit more sense now.

Why were you offended?

IP Logged

anon(Guest)

Reply #12 - Feb 7th, 2008 at 6:47pm

ignorant opinions are usually offensive... and frustrating. And in this case - just wrong. Everyone has the right to their opinion, but you want to express it, it's only courteous to have some idea what you're on about.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print