Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Send Topic Print
Sustainability Party of Australia (Read 110235 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Sustainability Party of Australia
Reply #45 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 11:52am

With the benefit of hindsight, we could have prevented the collapse of several societies, or at least delayed it, as there were probably multiple potential causes of their collapse. We could have prevent the recent collapse of several large fisheries. I'm sure there are several other big mistakes we could have avoided that will cause us long term problems.

Sustainability is not about living in caves.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Scaly
Ex Member

Reply #46 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 12:05pm

Sustainability is not about living in caves.

No, but when applied with the precautionary principle it restricts access to resources which may or may not be a good thing with respect to the human race. If there was a definitive way of measuring sustainability of all resources?...but there isn't AFAIK

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #47 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 12:13pm

It does not restrict access to resources. The thing is, people don't know what sustainability is. It is crystal ball stuff. It basically asks what does a society have to do in order to remain viable and maintain it's standard of living. The tree hugging hippies do not have a monopoly on sustainability any more than the people who want a stronger defense force. Just because they claim we have to stop mining in order to be sustainable does not mean that they can support their arguments on the ground of either sustainability or the precautionary principle.

However, just because we can't pin it down exactly does not mean we shouldn't make it a priority. The alternative is the collapse of our society.

IP Logged

Scaly
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 12:18pm

However, just because we can't pin it down exactly does not mean we shouldn't make it a priority.

That's precisely why it shouldn't be a priority, but that's not to say it's something that shouldn't be worked towards

The alternative is the collapse of our society.

How dramatic.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #49 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 12:23pm

You don't think figuring out what our society needs to do in order to survive is a priority? Because we don't already know the answer?

IP Logged

Scaly
Ex Member

Reply #50 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 12:37pm

Our society already does what it needs to in order to survive- sometimes that's at the expense of the environment and until there is a definitive way of measure the sustainability of all resources, that's the only way the human race can continue to advance (and with advancement comes knowledge of sustainability issues and environmental protection) without having one hand tied behind it's back.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #51 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 12:53pm

There has been a significant change recently in the way we approach this problem. Until fairly recently in human history, the environment could safely be assumed to be an infinite resource. Of course, there are at least a few notable exceptions which are illuminating. Societies took an expansionist view point, especially in the Americas and Australia. Survival and wealth depended on expanding faster than competing countries. It was human labour rather than natural resources that were most often the limiting factor in economies. Now that is all changing, and our survival as a society depends on our ability to adapt to the new situation. Simply doing what our society has historically done in order to survive is bound to fail, quite spectacularly. Finding the right balance is only going to get harder in the future as our society and the problems which undermine it become more complex. There will be an increasing need to consciously choose the path of sustainability rather than deal with problems after they have begun to impact on society.

IP Logged

Scaly
Ex Member

Reply #52 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 1:06pm

That is true, but it is something govts are already tackling with ESD and biodiversity measures. Change is happening already, it's just the rate of change that seems to be the source of angst between conflicting ideals

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #53 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 1:17pm

ESD - environmentally sustainable development?

As far as the party policy is concerned, it is not just the rate of change we have a problem with. In my opinion the left wing parties have a fairly sensible approach for global warming, and the coalition has a good approach on many of the local issues (eg the great barrier reef). It is the method of change that is our major policy. As far as global warming and the water shortage is concerned, the tradeoff between the environment and short term economic interests has been overplayed. The stern report backs this up. All parties have a tendency to prefer grand schemes where the government steps in and plays a role it probably shouldn't be playing. This looks good and most citizens can easily make the connection, but it comes at considerable economic cost. By 'pulling the right economic levers' the government could achieve the same thing at far less cost.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #54 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 1:27pm

freediver wrote on Apr 25th, 2007 at 11:33am:
Let's say those same people built fish farms.

Have you ever seen Easter Island? And it wasn't boat building that caused them to loose all their trees.

It was Diamond's conclusion as I recall as he speaks of the desperate times that must have been faced at the end as people starved to death after chopping down all their trees to make boats to plunder more resources.

That doesn't mean that lack of an economy results in consumption of all your resources. With the exception of small islands, people only ever began to live unsustainably when they tried to feed a large economy.

But the industry (the economy) must come first to justify keeping the environment (trees).

That's absurd. You don't need an economy to justify keeping the trees. It's like you think people are happy to die, but won't tolerate damage to their economy. Diamond gave an example of another island in a similar situation where they did make a conscious choice to live sustainably. It had nothing at all to do with protecting their economy.

I think we are having trouble with definitions.    You don't feed a large economy - as far as I am aware the collapsing societies had no economies    You feed a large population (people).   

So let's assume we have a lot of people.   No economy (industry/production/financial system) and basic resources.    Where do you start?

IP Logged

Scaly
Ex Member

Reply #55 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 1:30pm

ESD - environmentally sustainable development?

Ecological Sustainable Development

In my opinion the left wing parties have a fairly sensible approach for global warming

Your kidding right? Emission reductions of 60-80% by 2050 but with no idea on how to achieve it? That isn't sensible, that's political pandering to those that least understand the logistics of change

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #56 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 1:54pm

Your kidding right? Emission reductions of 60-80% by 2050 but with no idea on how to achieve it?

They just don't have firm policies on how to achieve it. I do.

You don't feed a large economy

I was being loose with my terms.

So let's assume we have a lot of people.   No economy (industry/production/financial system) and basic resources.    Where do you start?

You can't have one without the other. You can't get a lot of people without whatever it is you need to support them. I am not going to desribe how to build an entire economy from scratch. Peter Jay gives a good description of how modern economies 'evolved' in 'The Wealth of Man.'

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #57 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 2:15pm

freediver wrote on Apr 25th, 2007 at 1:54pm:
Your kidding right? Emission reductions of 60-80% by 2050 but with no idea on how to achieve it?

They just don't have firm policies on how to achieve it. I do.

You don't feed a large economy

I was being loose with my terms.

So let's assume we have a lot of people.   No economy (industry/production/financial system) and basic resources.    Where do you start?

You can't have one without the other. You can't get a lot of people without whatever it is you need to support them. I am not going to desribe how to build an entire economy from scratch. Peter Jay gives a good description of how modern economies 'evolved' in 'The Wealth of Man.'

People will cluster where there are resources so the population will grow according to availability.   But if you don't then build an economy (trade, industry etc) to suppport it eventually the resources will run out, the population will decline and an equilibrium will be found as they eat each other and the strong survive.

But cities are way too top heavy so an economy needs to be created to share resources, wealth, infrastructure etc.  The moment you make an environment more important than your population (which needs an economy) you face sidelining yourself and joining Bob Brown as a political toddler.

No one thinks a tree is more important than a family, except for the nutters who live off the dole (like the rent-a-crowd who use the economy they despise to survive) and those lined up at the trough like Bob Brown (who also uses the economy he despises to survive).

Good luck.   I'd say you're going to need it.    It ain't for me.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #58 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 2:37pm

But if you don't then build an economy (trade, industry etc) to suppport it eventually the resources will run out

The economy is to a large extent inevitable, wich is why I used the term evolve. It's the political structure that is built in the sense that it involves conscious decisions about what should be done by the other people. The economy does not guarantee that the resources will run out. The more organised it is, the more likely that the resources will be overexploited. It is the political structure that prevents the resources from being overexploited. I suspect you are confusing the economy with the well the established principles that support it like private ownership.

No one thinks a tree is more important than a family

Where did anyone suggest that?

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #59 - Apr 25th, 2007 at 3:03pm

Well that was a great read.

I think what freediver is trying to say is that he wants mankind to look at the environment and then build the economy around it to protect the environment. This is extremely difficult to manage as the economic structure that you build around it would also use resources that would not have been accounted for.

I think the economy needs to come before looking at the environment because we will then know what impact the economy will cause to our environment.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 14
Send Topic Print