Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Foreign language teaching falls: report (Read 2525 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Foreign language teaching falls: report
Apr 17th, 2007 at 10:34am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Foreign-language-teaching-falls-report/2007/04/16/1176696757137.html

The teaching of foreign languages in schools has fallen by the wayside as governments focus on getting migrants to learn English, a report says.

A draft discussion paper by the Australian Council of State School Organisations (ACSSO) released Monday found national apathy exists towards language teaching in schools, to the detriment of students.

For many students, a foreign language subject was not a normal part of the school curriculum.

"If anything, the present federal government rhetoric has turned Australians more inward, through a focus on Australian values and culture, the primacy of learning English and emphasising the assimilation of new arrivals as opposed to the ideals of multiculturalism," the report said.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

AUShole

OzPolitic

WA
Re: Foreign language teaching falls: report
Reply #1 - Apr 17th, 2007 at 2:49pm

Further goes to show how rapidly Australia is becoming an insular nation full of xenophobes.

Learning a language not only exposes a student to other cultures, it also assists the learning of their native tongue.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #2 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 3:29pm

AUShole wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 2:49pm:
Further goes to show how rapidly Australia is becoming an insular nation full of xenophobes.

Learning a language not only exposes a student to other cultures, it also assists the learning of their native tongue.

Gobbidy-Gook Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

John Smith
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #3 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 3:33pm

I have one boy in year 4 and another in year 7. They've always had foreign languages taught at school. My youngest got an A for Japanese just last week. My oldest an A- for Italian the week prior.

Our esteemed leader:
I hope that bitch who was running their brothels for them gets raped with a cactus.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #4 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 3:33pm

https://www.duolingo.com/learn

Please consider a few lessons in various languages. Just for the sake of broadening your horizons. Paris will be hosting the 2024 Olympics. By the time you get through a French language course on this site, you will probably be conversational enough to understand the announcers at the Olympics say things twice in two different languages.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - Jun 12th, 2022 at 3:36pm

Why isn't Jive on the curriculum?
They are wracists! Angry

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #6 - Jun 13th, 2022 at 1:04pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 12th, 2022 at 3:36pm:
Why isn't Jive on the curriculum?
They are wracists! Angry

Urban dictionary is online for your convenience.

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Jun 13th, 2022 at 1:31pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Jun 12th, 2022 at 3:33pm:
https://www.duolingo.com/learn

Please consider a few lessons in various languages. Just for the sake of broadening your horizons. Paris will be hosting the 2024 Olympics. By the time you get through a French language course on this site, you will probably be conversational enough to understand the announcers at the Olympics say things twice in two different languages.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #8 - Jun 13th, 2022 at 1:53pm

Love the way the discussion is de-railed by the instant use of 'xenophobia' - what nonsense - it is xenophobia to not want to learn the language and customs of your new country and to form ghettoes in it.

Get a life.....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #9 - Jun 13th, 2022 at 2:11pm

Richie Beneaud's French competency.

IP Logged

Lisa Jones
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #10 - Jun 15th, 2022 at 3:21pm

Jasin wrote on Jun 12th, 2022 at 3:29pm:
AUShole wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 2:49pm:

Gobbidy-Gook Roll Eyes

It IS total BS! Australia is FULL of migrants now. And their children are merely 1st Gen Aussies who are full blooded something else!

In fact I'm one of these 1st Gen Aussies who is also a full blooded European. 

Xenophobes my @rse! The country essentially consists of XENO citizens now 😂😆🤣

• For those who may not be tri lingual like me ... XENO comes from the Greek word XENO which basically means : foreign or strange.

If I let myself be bought then I am no longer free.

HYPATIA - Greek philosopher, mathematician and astronomer (370 - 415)

IP Logged

FutureTheLeftWant
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - Jun 15th, 2022 at 3:22pm

freediver wrote on Apr 17th, 2007 at 10:34am:
http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Foreign-language-teaching-falls-report/2007/04/16/1176696757137.html

The teaching of foreign languages in schools has fallen by the wayside as governments focus on getting migrants to learn English, a report says.

A draft discussion paper by the Australian Council of State School Organisations (ACSSO) released Monday found national apathy exists towards language teaching in schools, to the detriment of students.

For many students, a foreign language subject was not a normal part of the school curriculum.

"If anything, the present federal government rhetoric has turned Australians more inward, through a focus on Australian values and culture, the primacy of learning English and emphasising the assimilation of new arrivals as opposed to the ideals of multiculturalism," the report said.

It's also true we used to learn french instead of somethign that belongs to our region, so this has never really worked

IP Logged

Frank
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2022 at 3:59pm

There are two broad motivations for learning a foreign language, its  utility or your love of the culture expressed in that language.

The most widely spoken language in the world is broken English, as most people tackle it for its utility. No other language comes close as far as utility is concerned.

French is the language of a culture that has a lot to love about it, as does German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese. But unless you want to live there, they cannot compete on utility.

Estragon: I can’t go on like this.
Vladimir: That’s what you think.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #13 - Jun 15th, 2022 at 4:21pm

True.
Nations like Mauritius that has heaps of languages incorporated in it's cultural growth has offered many of its citizens as linguistic opportunities in many fields around the world like the UN.
I remember dating a nice little Mauritian who while sitting in George St Maccas was telling me some Chinese guys were hanging crap on me in Chinese. They stopped when I looked at them as if I was reading their minds. Grin

But it really does come down to utility. France thinks it's language is superior mainly due to Political competition with Britain. But Britain is stepping back (Brexit) to leave the French out in front "You wanna be top dog, well - let's see how you go dealing with Islam for Europe, etc". French is not a flexible language for 'international' utility.
Nihonese (Japanese to the Media) sounds like someone is constipated and would never take off internationally.

Latin will always be around as a 'Scientific' language even though most 'non-scientific' people can understand it. It also seems to be more fluent to Music.
English for Politics, Latin for Music because Latin 'sounds' better with music as you don't need to understand it to enjoy it.

I find that the Maori enforcing all NZeders to speak Maori is no different than Boers forcing everyone to speak Afrikaans in South Africa. I think that's just cultural bullying.

Tolkien has brought much entertainment with the use of language, as has Shakespeare and people who learn Klingon.
But these are very very minor language variations of novelty more than utility, though Tolkien did create his from original languages from long ago.

Even if there was one Common Tongue spoken internationally. I think its great that there are many other languages available to use for whatever... like the language of love that a couple create together for their own private use and love for each other.

A few weeks back, I've enjoyed learning the 'clicking' language of the Xhosa, San, Khoi.

IP Logged

Bobby.
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #14 - Jun 15th, 2022 at 5:31pm

Frank wrote on Jun 15th, 2022 at 3:59pm:
There are two broad motivations for learning a foreign language, its  utility or your love of the culture expressed in that language.

The most widely spoken language in the world is broken English,
as most people tackle it for its utility. No other language comes close as far as utility is concerned.

French is the language of a culture that has a lot to love about it, as does German, Italian, Spanish, Japanese, Chinese. But unless you want to live there, they cannot compete on utility.

https://blog.busuu.com/most-spoken-languages-in-the-world/

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print