Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Direct democracy in Australia (Read 13057 times)
zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Direct democracy in Australia
Reply #15 - Apr 11th, 2007 at 4:13pm

freediver wrote on Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:56am:
The idea is that MP's do not get equal votes, but rather the weight of their vote is directly proportional to the number of citizens who have delgated their proxy vote to them.

Essentially, this is how the electoral system is supposed to work. The electoral borders are constantly shifted to maintain a roughly equal number of people in each electorate and so each representative is speaking for roughly the same proportion of the total public.

Quote:
Effectively you get a referendum on every single issue, except that you delegate someone to vote for you.

This is more or less the US electoral college system, and many people in America feel it is far from a referendum. Granted the electoral colleges are meant to represent a majority of states, not individuals, however the concept is the same. I fail to really see how one system of representatives is any more of a referendum than another system of representatives? Suppose the representative doesn't follow the line he is expected to?

Quote:
To make it more similar to direct democracy, you allow people to change their vote at any time via electronic voting. You could create a dual system with two roles which lets people choose between voting on paper at an election of vote electronically (or at a council office or something like that).

I like the idea of more electronic voting, provided it is on an open and transparent platform.

Personally I would just love for us to run a monthly election online, make voting a choice and then the first month that the government drops its majority in the polls they are out. Imagine the chaos and the endless campaigning, best of all, imagine the government trying to push an unpopular policy Grin

Direct democracy is good, chaos and freedom for all Smiley

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #16 - Apr 13th, 2007 at 3:32am

I have updated (pretty much replaced) the main article on electoral reform. Let me know what you think:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/electoral-reform/electoral-reform.html

This is more or less the US electoral college system, and many people in America feel it is far from a referendum.

The US system of 'propositions' is like this, however the rest of their political system is not. It is based on single member electorates so has the same problem that MP's do not really speak on behalf of all of their electorate, just the ones who voted for them (which can be a minorty under the US's voting system)

Granted the electoral colleges are meant to represent a majority of states, not individuals, however the concept is the same.

No, that system is designed to prevent the public from having a direct say in who is elected president and is even further removed from the actual issues the president votes on. The US founding fathers deliberately tried to avoid democracy because they feared the will of the people.

I fail to really see how one system of representatives is any more of a referendum than another system of representatives?

1) It is not based on single member electorates.

2) It is not based on fixed terms in parliament.

3) MP's are only voting on behalf of those citizens who actually support them.

It would be possible for citizens to adjust their proxy prior to a vote in parliament so that the outcome of the vote was effectively a referendum. They could then change their proxy vote in time for the next big issue to be voted on. Rather than voting for a single person and having to 'take the good with the bad' in terms of how that person votes in parliament, citizens can change their proxy at any time if necessary on the odd occasion that their usually preferred candidate does not intend to vote how they want them to.

Suppose the representative doesn't follow the line he is expected to?

That is always a risk, but there would be plenty of MP's available to delegate proxies to, so that MP's career would be very short lived. Unlike our current system where MP's can make up for one unpopular policy with lots of PR and other more popular policies by the time the next election comes, such an MP would simply lose support.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2007 at 3:46am by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Shithouse Rat

The truth hurts...

Reply #17 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 1:08am

Liked your article, freediver. Generally agree with your analysis of voting methods, but still have big problems with the practicality of "in time" Direct Democracy.

Some further questions:

On what basis does a delegate/proxy gain a seat in the parliament under the proposed DP model? Is it intended that the fringe members would enter and exit the parliament "in time" as their votes change?

Do you not believe that public opinion in general is fairly volatile on the kinds of issues which parliaments are usually required to address? How would the role and power of the media change in a political system which was responsive to changing opinion from moment to moment?

Do you envisage legislation changing from day to day as refinements, or corrections, or replacements, are made? How do people keep track of what is current law? Does a fluid legal framework even make sense - isn't it an oxymoron?

Is there no benefit in a coherent policy platform, as opposed to an ad hoc composite of popularisms? Does a coherent package not require some time to settle, and perhaps some acceptance of the occasional unpopular means to the greater good? What kind of politician will pursue the unpopular in the face of immediate retribution under DP - and what are they doing now under the current system?

I'd be interested to see an example of this method in practice.  Shocked

What makes you think I am a Christian?
Just a hunch. Feel free to deny it if you wish.  Smiley

...aaand loving it!!!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Apr 14th, 2007 at 5:34am

On what basis does a delegate/proxy gain a seat in the parliament under the proposed DP model?

Looking at the QLD parliament, which has 89 seats, the 89 candidates with the highest number of supporters would gain a seat in parliament. To enter parliament, you need to gain more votes than the member with the least support (the '89th' member). There is a potential problem in that all votes must be directed to a sitting MP and that while you are not a sitting MP only individuals may direct their proxy vote to you, which you must then direct, as a group, to a sitting member. You get around this by including a provision whereby if you can show that the sum total of your proxy votes from individuals and from other candidates who are prepared to direct their group of proxies to you if you enter parliement is greater than the that of the 89'th member, then you may enter parliament to replace the 89th member.

If you were directing your group of proxies to say, the 87'th member, and by removing those proxies he would become the 89'th member and you would be able to replace him, you would simply redirect your votes temporarily. However, you would be unlikely to stay in parliament as you would be the 89th member and chances are that some other aspiring candidate would have more votes than you, but less than the old 89th candidate (prior to you bumping your 87th down to 89th by redirecting your group of proxies). That other aspiring candidate would then replace you. If the guy you used to direct your proxy votes to was still around he could then re-enter with the promise of your proxies, unless the other people directing proxies to him can no longer be bothered. So you would either end up back where you began, or you would bump your favourite MP from parliament and have to direct your proxies to some other MP.

This system would require, in addition to a candidate directing his group of proxies to a sitting MP, allowing him to assign other candidates to whom he would prefer to direct his proxies if they could enter parliament.

Alternatively, you could just not bother and require candidates to obtain enough proxies directly from individuals to enter parliament. This would create a slight barrier to entry, but would reduce the frequency with which minor MPs enter and leave parliament.

Do you not believe that public opinion in general is fairly volatile on the kinds of issues which parliaments are usually required to address?

No. People are not going to change their minds on individual issues any more than they cuirrently switch between parties. Probably less so, given that the party choice is often a tradeoff between issues. It would mean that the ruling coalition did not have free reign, because they would lose power if they tried to impliment an unpopular policy.

How would the role and power of the media change in a political system which was responsive to changing opinion from moment to moment?

I don't think the media would be any more or less powerful. I do think it would be more diverse, as the ruling coalition would not have so much control over the issues of the day.

Do you envisage legislation changing from day to day as refinements, or corrections, or replacements, are made?

No, it would take just as long for legislation to get through parliament, perhaps longer as you would have to mandate that the public be given reasonable time to alter their proxy votes. I would suggest at least three days from a bill hitting parliament or being modified to the vote on it. For most things it would be far longer given the tendency of polticians to argue back and forth.

Is there no benefit in a coherent policy platform, as opposed to an ad hoc composite of popularisms?

You would probably end up with that as the ruling coalition would form a policy platform. People would not rush out and change their vote regularly. Given 89 people trying to eek out a niche in the political landscape, chances are you could find one you could support for the long term. The political process could be speeded up, as once the ruling coalition had implimented their platform there would be no need for them in the public eye any more. The public might then switch the balance so some other coalition who wants to change some other area of law could come to power. However, implimenting changes takes time and the government does have a role of day to day managment. The public would come to fear to much rapid change, given the inevitable cosnequences, and vote for a stable coalition, provided it remained an effective manager.

You wouldn't get a situation where a coalition takes 10 years to impliment a core policy, which seem to be used these days to hold onto power.

Does a coherent package not require some time to settle, and perhaps some acceptance of the occasional unpopular means to the greater good?

If it is for the greater good, the majority will eventually support it.

I'd be interested to see an example of this method in practice.

So would I. I concede that it is would be an 'experiment.' I think many clubs and societies allow proxy votes which could end up operating in the same way, however most members would turn up and vote in person. There would also be some initial instability, until the public and the candidates got a feel for the system.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Electoral changes in WA to cut imbalance
Reply #19 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 11:47am

I had no idea WA had such an undemocratic system. Does anyone know if it is just because they haven't adjusted boundaries in a long time?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/electoral-changes-in-wa-to-cut-imbalance/2007/06/28/1182624068695.html

A redistribution of Western Australia's electoral boundaries will remove the huge imbalance between metropolitan and country seats, Premier Alan Carpenter says.

The Electoral Commission on Friday will announce its electoral redistribution based on the government's 2005 "one vote, one value" legislation, giving MPs electorates with an average 21,000 voters.

Under WA's current electoral system, country votes are worth more than city votes.

Rural WA, with just a quarter of the state's population, has half the seats in the upper house and 40 per cent in the lower house.

IP Logged

IQSRLOW
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #20 - Jun 29th, 2007 at 12:08pm

Although achieving electoral equality, due to the lower south west city-centric nature of WA, this makes it easier for the ALP and the Greens to f*uck over the rural sector

Political Animal has little moderation. It is the forum for free speech and free thinkers to converse passionately without the threat of being banned. It is a forum for adults.

IP Logged

Abd

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Nov 4th, 2007 at 1:44am

Shithouse Rat wrote on Apr 14th, 2007 at 1:08am:
On what basis does a delegate/proxy gain a seat in the parliament under the proposed DP model? Is it intended that the fringe members would enter and exit the parliament "in time" as their votes change?

Because I periodically search for "delegable proxy" I came across this discussion. DP has been independently invented in at least four or five places around the world over the last ten or twenty years. My own work goes back about twenty years, but I did not start publishing anything until roughly 2002 or so.

Most thinkers on the subject have proposed DP for electoral representational systems, but, as has been noted, it is largely untried for that, aside from the Demoex work in Sweden. I, too, thought of it first as a political device, but realized that this suffered from extreme difficulty in implementation, political institutions are ordinarily highly conservative, and the existing models are so thoroughly entrenched that even radical reformers tend to use them them when structuring their own movements. (That is, they set up oligarchical structures, openly top-down, or they set up electoral systems which suffer from the same problems as the status quo, just, generally, with different faces.)

To be brief, I realized that DP would have to come first in NGO, where peer participation was, from the beginning, desired, where consensus was sought and considered useful, and where some means of balancing out participation bias (the typical problem of direct democracy) was desired. I call these organizations Free Associations, hence my current work is with FA/DP democracy. However, the question here was about the possibility of governmental structures.

Warren Smith, better known as an analyst who found Range Voting to be close to an ideal election method, also invented what he called Asset Voting. Asset Voting could be considered a form of Single Transferable Vote where the transfer of votes is under the control of candidates receiving the votes. If a voter votes for one, that person may reassign the vote at will. In the original Asset Voting, voters could vote, for as many candidates as desired, a fraction of a vote, with the restriction that all the votes must add up to no more than a total of one full vote. Again, each candidate "owns" the "assets," i.e., the votes they received, until and unless they pass those votes on. Smith, inventing Asset Voting, was not aware of Delegable Proxy, but it's pretty easy to see that this is similar to a Delegable Proxy system, and, in fact, Delegable Proxy would be a great means for the candidates holding assets to coordinate the vote reassignments.

Further, Smith did not notice what happens if ballots allow write-ins. It becomes possible for voter to have an almost completely unrestricted field of who to vote for. What Asset does is to convert a secret ballot election, with anonymous voters, into an open election with a reduced set of "electors," who are public voters. Thus composing an assembly can become a deliberative process and as fully democratic as possible. The only restriction is the necessary one: it is impossible for large democracies -- absent some mechanism like Delegable Proxy -- to carry on deliberation in the same way as is known to work on a small scale. What Asset/Delegable Proxy can do is to reduce the size of a representative assembly to one which is manageable.

It should be understand that, at this point, this is not a fixed concept, so when someone asks "How would this work?" there is no single answer. In fact, it could work in many different ways, and, in particular, it would not come all at once, full-blown , as a direct democratic system. Rather, it would come in stages. Perhaps:

(1) Asset Voting replaces an STV system for some Assembly; while representation could be district-based, what becomes possible with Asset is state-wide representation (province-wide, jurisdiction-wide); this would come when it is considered valuable to have full participation in an Assembly from all groups. I think it likely that most seats in the Assembly would have defined districts, and that electors would tend to combine votes in such a way as to make this happen; however, the system is not so constrained, and this allows some "districts" to be state-wide.

(2) Because there is now a reduced set of public voters (the "electors') it becomes possible to implement direct voting. The "seats" really are representation for the purpose of deliberation, electors could vote their votes directly; but where an elector does not vote directly (and most would not, I'd predict), the holder of the seat votes. Each seat represents the same number of votes in an Asset Assembly, so, probably, direct votes would be reported as fractions of a full-seat vote.

The rest is details. What frequently happens when a system like this is proposed, which really does fundamentally restructure a democracy to make it far more fully participative, is that people will project upon it characteristics of existing political systems, whereas the Delegable Proxy concept  is really outside the box (and Asset is DP but with a secret ballot layer, and any voter who wants to become a public voter may do so, simply by registering as a "candidate" and voting for himself or herself). As such, we will probably have to see demonstrations outside of government before it happens inside.

For further info, see beyondpolitics DOT org.

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #22 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 10:39am

Sprintcyclist wrote on Apr 6th, 2007 at 7:53am:
It would be nice to have a direct referendum for their pay rises and "generous" allowances. Smiley

We have to assume, pepole who make political decisions often make better political decisions than "amateurs".

This is something I have thought about since the ill fated, ill concieved and ill marketed Australia Card and the advent of ATM technology.

This is a concept that I think will not be implemented until there is a core change in the way we view represtative authority. The politicians do not want us to have the power of decision making. It diminishes their own power and prestige. It would also eliminate a lot of the grubby little deals they make behind the scenes.

The public through the use of a smart card ie Photo ID or license with a chip and PIN  could be given (x) number of weeks to vote on a particular issue, piece of legislation or a referendum. It would reduce the cost of holding referendums, elections etc. Could allow an immediate registration of a vote of no confidence in your elected member, or allow you to fill out a poll or questionaire, providing instant feed back. The link between the identity and decision of the card holder would have to be secure/secret. The system would only have to know that the card has only been used once for each decision or vote.

There would be a need to improve the education system so as to give people a greater knowlegde on how their political system works and their role within it. There used to be a subject called Citizenship Education taught in high school, that would be a start but I think such education needs to begin in primary school, possibly with certain limited voting rights that would have citizen involvement from a very young age. Therefore the potential for politically involved adults.

Who knows, it may even lead to the demise of those discusting institutions of cabinet/caucus where decisions and grubby deals are made in my name, but are secret. No place for this in a real democracy.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Exotic Cheese

Australian Politics

Reply #23 - Aug 11th, 2008 at 7:09pm

Here is when direct democracy will come into effect in Australia...

When Bechtel try to privatise the water and the greatest want in life is no longer a bigger television and a new ford/holden.

...I look forward to this day but don't expect it in the next decade or more.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print