no    
  9 (52.9%)
only in small doses    
  6 (35.3%)

Total votes: 17
« Last Modified by: on: Apr 5th, 2007 at 8:41pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
whats happened to this board? (Read 8524 times)
aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Re: whats happened to this board?
Reply #15 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 2:09pm

To be quite honest i dont want to be on a site that has religious zealots wanting to interpret the"good Book" for one and all.I class that an invasion of my social rights me being an athiest an all Tongue.Everyone to their own i suppose but if it continues to bother me to much i will kcuf off too Angry

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

oceans_blue
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 6:18pm

dont go boof--- Smiley Cry Cry

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 8:19am

There are a lot more athiests in this country than christians

and on this forum. Apparently anyway.

I think by christian we take that to mean the BIBle bashing spruikers that try to force it don the throats of pple too polite to tell them to take a flying leap!!

I've never heard of a forum where people being too polite was a problem.

Trump is right, I was reading the census stats the other day and found something like 60-70% of Australians identify themselves as christian. Less than the US but only slightly. I think the thing about aussies though is they will identify themselves as christian due to upbringing etc but we don't really have a huge percentage of evangelicals or church attendees.

I also suspect that Australians are far more subtle about it than Americans.

Let's not start a guessing game about AN's absence. He may have just gone on holidays.

I have been less active lately and have not posted any interesting or controversial stuff from the news. I suspect that is responsible for most of the decline in activity here. Plus I may have gone overboard with creating new boards.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

oceans_blue
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 9:23am

Trump is right, I was reading the census stats the other day and found something like 60-70% of Australians identify themselves as christian. Less than the US but only slightly. I think the thing about aussies though is they will identify themselves as christian due to upbringing etc but we don't really have a huge percentage of evangelicals or church attendees. "
-----------------------

yes zoso..thats fine, but having it foisted upon you is something different again.

Im not saying Im an aetheist and if I were-so what? but if I want religious instruction Il go to church!!  Thst would be my choice.

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #19 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 9:54am

Quote:
yes zoso..thats fine, but having it foisted upon you is something different again.

Have you not been reading my little stoush with pender and now freediver here? I completely agree with you

Quote:
There are a lot more athiests in this country than christians 

But freediver? the census data says otherwise?

I agree our christians are more benign, but not all of them!

IP Logged

oceans_blue
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 9:56am

zoso- fair enough Wink

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Reply #21 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:05pm

Cheesy

perhaps us docile christians vent ourselve via the net?

as for "bible bashing" i havnt used the bible yet in any of my posts only sprint does that, he just posts alot.

i actually would prefer to speak of politics than religion, its alot less typing and its slightly less heated.

It's just often when i bring up a political point i am dismissed as a right wing fascist Christian, which is absurd as i tend to lean left.

IP Logged

Gavin

OzPolitic

Sydney, Australia
Reply #22 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 7:37pm

i wanted to vote on the poll, but i think there should be "only in small doses" option.
i don't mind discussing religion and politics, i just don't want it to overpower this forum.
so rather than yes or no, i would vote "only in small doses".

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Aug 10th, 2020 at 10:07pm

Wow. Just got to vote in a poll from 2007.

This topic is a laugh in regards to 'today'.
The Christians have taken over - look at ScoMo from Hillsong.  Wink
Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Aug 11th, 2020 at 8:50am

There's only a couple that you'd call "bible bashers" here ....

plus a couple of Koran followers

nothing to get your jocks in a twist over.

Bearing in mind I haven't seen too much input here from the author of this thread or a couple of others recently.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #25 - Aug 11th, 2020 at 8:53pm

I don't see where this claim came from, I see very little genuine religious posting here.

I have never made a religious post but that does not mean that I am an atheist ?

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #26 - Aug 11th, 2020 at 9:01pm

zoso wrote on Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:03am:
Trump is right, I was reading the census stats the other day and found something like 60-70% of Australians identify themselves as christian. Less than the US but only slightly. I think the thing about aussies though is they will identify themselves as christian due to upbringing etc but we don't really have a huge percentage of evangelicals or church attendees.

This post is from 13 years ago. But, Australians have identified themselves in the 2016 census as having 55% being Christian. 40% of Australians did not identify or stated no religion/atheism/agnostic.

However, of that 55% of Australians who identified as Christian, only 2% of them attend church at least once a week. 10% of Christians in Australia attend church at least once a month. This leaves the 90% of the 55% of Australians who identify as Christians as having not attended church or having attended less than once a month.

Ergo, Australians can hold the reputation of being a non-religious society.

IP Logged

Dnarever
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Here
Reply #27 - Aug 11th, 2020 at 9:47pm

UnSubRocky wrote on Aug 11th, 2020 at 9:01pm:
zoso wrote on Apr 4th, 2007 at 10:03am:

This post is from 13 years ago. But, Australians have identified themselves in the 2016 census as having 55% being Christian. 40% of Australians did not identify or stated no religion/atheism/agnostic.

However, of that 55% of Australians who identified as Christian, only 2% of them attend church at least once a week. 10% of Christians in Australia attend church at least once a month. This leaves the 90% of the 55% of Australians who identify as Christians as having not attended church or having attended less than once a month.

Ergo, Australians can hold the reputation of being a non-religious society.

The home alter and prayer retreat have become popular in Australia. Cutting out the commercial middle man.

Commercial religion is typically politically right, genuine religious people aren't.

IP Logged

UnSubRocky
Gold Member

Australian Legend

Rockhampton, Q
Reply #28 - Aug 11th, 2020 at 10:51pm

You can be Christian and have Christian values and not attend church and not be any less Christian. Or you could be non-Christian and act in a way that is morally constructive to society. Either way, you don't know if someone is dedicated to their religion or not simply by them attending church. But it is a good indication of whether someone is dedicated to their religion if they meet up with like-minded people at their church at least once a month. Someone has to say that they believe in either Jesus Christ, or the concept of Jesus Christ to be able to claim to be religious in favour of Christianity.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Aug 12th, 2020 at 7:57am

When people get offended about something religious.
I ask them if they are 'clergy' or part of the Religion.
If they answer no, or just attend to a holy place - then they are just 'fans in the seats', nothing more. No right to get offended.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print