Send Topic Print
Todays news (Read 25173 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Overhaul for Qld double jeopardy rule
Reply #105 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 12:35pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Overhaul-for-Qld-double-jeopardy-rule/2007/10/18/1192300902448.html

Queensland's double jeopardy laws which have been embedded in English law for 800 years, have been overhauled following a landmark vote in state parliament.

The state government passed a private members bill on Wednesday night from independent MP for Nicklin Peter Wellington which enables an acquitted person to be retried if "fresh and compelling" new evidence emerges in a murder case.

However, the overhaul of the laws which prevent people from being tried twice for the same crime will not be retrospective.

The bill creates two exceptions to double jeopardy protection by allowing a retrial for a charge of murder where there is new evidence, and allowing a retrial for a crime that would attract a 25-year or more sentence, if the original acquittal is tainted.

Premier Anna Bligh said the government's support of the bill acknowledged the change in society's view of double jeopardy laws.

"The government believes these changes acknowledge that advances in forensic science and DNA evidence may mean that compelling evidence not available at the original trial may later become available," Ms Bligh said.

Qld eyes 'accident defence' law change

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Qld-eyes-accident-defence-law-change/2007/10/24/1192941136408.html

Queensland Premier Anna Bligh has encouraged comment on an overhaul of the "accident defence" after another accused killer who partly relied on the defence walked free from court.

Adam Kenneth Terry, now 20, admitted punching stranger Andrew Nukunuku, 41, outside a hotel in Beenleigh, south of Brisbane, on December 22, 2005.

The punch caused New Zealand-born Mr Nukunuku to fall backwards and hit his head on the concrete, fracturing his skull and causing brain damage.

He died nine days later.

A Supreme Court jury in Brisbane on Tuesday found Terry not guilty of manslaughter because the circumstances of the attack were in dispute, requiring them to consider the available defences of self-defence and accident in their deliberations.

The state government a fortnight ago released a discussion paper on an overhaul of the provocation and accident legal defences following a study of recent murder and manslaughter trials.

The accident defence - under which a person is not criminally responsible for an event occurring by accident - came under the spotlight after defendants were acquitted in the trials relating to the separate deaths of David Stevens and Nigel Lee in inner-Brisbane in 2005.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2007 at 7:28pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
oil spill on Brisbane river?
Reply #106 - Oct 18th, 2007 at 4:43pm

I just ogt this emailed to me, saying ti was an oil spill. It's at the Eagle st Pier, Brisbane.

Brisbane River gets mixed report card

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Brisbane-River-gets-mixed-report-card/2007/10/24/1192941128482.html

A report card on the health of the Brisbane River has found dolphins are returning to the waterway, but its lower reaches are still polluted.

The Ecosystem Health Monitoring Program Report Card is the culmination of 12 months of scientific monitoring at 375 freshwater, estuarine and marine sites throughout the region.

The report showed there had been some significant improvements to the river, which has suffered in recent years from dumped rubbish, nutrient runoff, pesticides and heavy metals.

Dolphins were returning to the river, river banks were being stabilised and mangroves were thriving, the report showed.

But the quality of the lower Brisbane River catchment had not changed since the last report.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2007 at 7:29pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Zap the Yap?
Reply #107 - Nov 6th, 2007 at 11:48am

Cellphone jammers can zap all the yap

By MATT RICHTEL

New York Times News Service

SAN FRANCISCO — One afternoon in early September, an architect boarded his commuter train and became a cellphone vigilante. He sat down next to a 20-something woman who he said was "blabbing away" into her phone.

"She was using the word 'like' all the time. She sounded like a Valley Girl," said the architect, Andrew, who declined to give his last name because what he did next was illegal.

Andrew reached into his shirt pocket and pushed a button on a black device the size of a cigarette pack. It sent out a powerful radio signal that cut off the chatterer's cellphone transmission — and any others within a 30-foot radius.

"She kept talking into her phone for about 30 seconds before she realized there was no one listening on the other end," he said.

His reaction when he first discovered he could wield such power? "Oh, holy moly! Deliverance."

As cellphone use has skyrocketed, making it hard to avoid hearing half a conversation in many public places, a small but growing band of rebels is turning to a blunt countermeasure: the cellphone jammer, a gadget that renders nearby mobile devices impotent.

The technology is not new, but overseas exporters of jammers say demand is rising and they are sending hundreds of them a month into the United States — prompting scrutiny from federal regulators and new concern this week from the cellphone industry. The buyers include owners of cafes and hair salons, hoteliers, public speakers, theater operators, bus drivers and, increasingly, commuters on public transportation.

The development is creating a battle for control of the airspace within earshot. And the damage is collateral. Insensitive talkers impose their racket on the defenseless, while jammers punish not just the offender, but also more discreet chatterers.

"If anything characterizes the 21st century, it's our inability to restrain ourselves for the benefit of other people," said James Katz, director of the Center for Mobile Communication Studies at Rutgers University. "The cellphone talker thinks his rights go above that of people around him, and the jammer thinks his are the more important rights."

The jamming technology works by sending out a radio signal so powerful that phones are overwhelmed and cannot communicate with cell towers. The range varies from several feet to several yards, and the devices cost from $50 to several hundred dollars. Larger models can be left on to create a no-call zone.

Using the jammers is illegal in the United States. The radio frequencies used by cellphone carriers are protected, just like those used by television and radio broadcasters.

The Federal Communications Commission says people who use cellphone jammers could be fined up to $11,000 for a first offense. Its enforcement bureau has prosecuted a handful of American companies for distributing the gadgets — and it also pursues their users.

complete article at http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/nationworld/2003992768_celljammers04.html

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
1 in 7 families reported to DOCS
Reply #108 - Oct 26th, 2007 at 3:23pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Staggering-rise-in-reports-to-DOCS/2007/10/26/1192941310588.html

Reports to NSW child welfare authorities have "exploded" in the last five years, with one in 15 children now in need of care and protection.

Releasing his department's annual report, Mr Barbour said the number of children being notified to DOCS had soared by 50 per cent in the last five years.

However, the number of deaths of children who had been the subject of reports to DOCS last year was 114, up by five on the 2005 figure of 109, an increase of just under 4.5 per cent.

He said the dramatic increase in the number of calls to DOCS meant a "staggering" one in 15 children was currently being reported to the department.

About one in seven of the state's families had been the subject of reports, he said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
another 'dr death'
Reply #109 - Nov 28th, 2007 at 1:25pm

Trauma surgeon 'did needless surgery'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Trauma-surgeon-did-needless-surgery/2007/11/28/1196036933293.html

The head of a major Melbourne hospital which has suspended a high-profile trauma surgeon has moved to reassure patients they were in safe hands.

Professor Thomas Kossmann, the head of The Alfred hospital's trauma unit, was stood down on full pay on Tuesday night following the completion of a draft report from an external inquiry commissioned by the hospital.

Prof Kossmann is alleged to have performed unnecessary and excessive surgery on dozens of road accident victims.

The inquiry is also investigating claims he rorted the Transport Accident Commission (TAC) by over-servicing patients or billing for work he did not do.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Should our banks be allowed to merge?
Reply #110 - Nov 27th, 2007 at 4:24pm

End four pillars banking policy: ANZ

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/End-four-pillars-banking-policy-ANZ/2007/11/27/1196036867267.html

New ANZ Banking Group Ltd chief Mike Smith has called for the abolition of the four pillars banking policy to allow Australian banks to compete with a looming wave of competition from Asia.

Mr Smith said that the four pillars policy - which prevents the biggest banks from merging - had developed an inward-looking culture with the local banking system.

"Given the mature Australian and New Zealand economies and that the market rewards growth, it is clear that our banks face a fundamental problem," Mr Smith told a Trans-Tasman Business Circle lunch in Sydney on Tuesday.

"They will eventually become ex-growth relative`to the opportunities in Asia and increasingly marginalised as regional banks expand in Asia and ultimately in Australia."

Mr Smith said that banks from Asia would form the next wave of competition in Australia.

"But unless we become more outward looking now, the next wave of competition from Asian banks with best-in-class customer solutions will be formidable competitors.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
scrap QLD fuel subsidy
Reply #111 - Nov 21st, 2007 at 1:35pm

The QLD fuel subsidy is bad for the economy, bad for the environemnt and is being taken advantage of:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Inquiry-says-scrap-or-alter-fuel-subsidy/2007/11/21/1195321821904.html

An inquiry into the effectiveness of Queensland's fuel subsidy has recommended the government either scrap the payment or devise a new and improved system for its distribution.

In August the state government ordered an inquiry into why the 8.3 cents a litre fuel subsidy was not being fully passed on to motorists after an audit found that on average, two cents of the subsidy never reached consumers.

The Queensland Fuel Subsidy Commission of Inquiry, headed by former federal court judge Bill Pincus QC, on Wednesday handed down its final report, finding retailers were not reducing the sale price of fuel under the Fuel Subsidy Act (FS Act) 1997.

Greenhouse measures 'crippling' truckers

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Greenhouse-measures-crippling-truckers/2007/11/27/1196036863067.html

The trucking industry says it is being crippled by competing and inconsistent greenhouse gas abatement policies.

Australian Trucking Association chief executive Stuart St Clair said the introduction of a national emissions trading scheme must result in the elimination of the costly patchwork of half-measures.

The association wants federal, state and territory measures to be rationalised.
« Last Edit: Nov 27th, 2007 at 4:26pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

prometheus

OzPolitic

Professor abandons cloning :Dolly the sheep -
Reply #112 - Nov 17th, 2007 at 10:26pm

17th November

Professor who created Dolly the sheep to abandon cloning
· New method creates stem cells without embryo
· Technique is less likely to stir controversy
Alexandra Topping The Guardian Saturday November 17 2007
The creator of Dolly the sheep is to abandon cloning in favour of a new technique that can create stem cells without an embryo, it was reported last night. Professor Ian Wilmut, who cloned Dolly from an adult cell a decade ago, has decided that cloning no longer provides to most effective means of curing medical conditions.

Wilmut will switch to a new and less controversial technique developed in Japan, which creates stem cells from fragments of skin.

The scientist said the new technique was "easier to accept socially" than the cloning process he helped pioneer, according to the Daily Telegraph. He said: "I decided a few weeks ago not to pursue nuclear transfer [the method by which Dolly was cloned]." He will no longer use a licence to clone human embryos, which he was awarded two years ago.

The news will come as a blow to scientists who believe that the use of embryos to create stem cells is the best way to develop treatments for serious medical conditions such as stroke, heart disease and Parkinson's disease.

Unlike current stem cell research, the new method does not require the use of human embryos, which has caused controversy in the past decade. Full details of the new technique have not yet been unveiled but Wilmut described it as "extremely exciting and astonishing".

Wilmut, who works at Edinburgh University, is said to have been inspired by the work of Professor Shinya Yamanaka from Kyoto University who, in previous research on mice, created stem cells from skin fragments. He is now thought to have achieved this with human cells.

Wilmut has been a leading light in the field of stem cell research since he and his team presented Dolly, the first animal to be cloned from an adult cell, in 1997. It provoked fierce ethical debate among religious groups and politicians.

It is thought the new technique will open up the possibility of harvesting a patient's own cells, which, when injected back into the body, could be "reprogrammed" to try to repair damage caused by disease

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
ABC to get third channel for kids
Reply #113 - Nov 11th, 2007 at 1:24pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/new-abc-kids-channel-boon-for-parents/2007/11/10/1194329560279.html

A new ABC children's television channel will help parents protect kids from influential junk food advertising, and also boost local TV production, federal Communications Minister Helen Coonan says.

Ms Coonan announced that the federal government would give $82 million to the national broadcaster to create the digital children's channel, formed along the lines of ABC2.

The channel would operate 15 hours a day and deliver programming for children and teenagers up to 17 years of age.

Half the funds would go towards commissioning new entertainment and education content, while the rest would be spent buying existing Australian and international programs.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Cameras help get domestic violence convictions
Reply #114 - Nov 9th, 2007 at 9:58am

Cameras to snap domestic violence cases

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Cameras-to-snap-domestic-violence-cases/2007/11/08/1194329408379.html

More NSW police officers will be equipped with digital and video cameras to help investigate cases of domestic violence.

Police Minister David Campbell said the police kits, designed to gather evidence against domestic violence offenders, had been trialled in south-west Sydney and Wagga Wagga.

In those areas, guilty pleas by domestic violence offenders had doubled from 20 per cent to 40 per cent, he said.

"Domestic violence is a cowardly and despicable act, and this is why we are giving police the tools they need to prosecute offenders," Mr Campbell said.

"The evidence kits contain a digital stills camera, digital video camera and victim's support pack, and are fitted into general duties police vehicles."

Areas to receive the kits are: Penrith, Blacktown, Quakers Hill, Mt Druitt, St Marys, Hurstville, Miranda and Sutherland in Sydney, Tuggerah Lakes on the central coast, Far South Coast and Shoalhaven, and Manning on the state's north coast.

IP Logged

AlexZello(Guest)

Re: Todays news
Reply #115 - Feb 6th, 2008 at 3:35am

What do you think of Obadiah Shoher's views on the Middle East conflict? One can argue, of course, that Shoher is ultra-right, but his followers are far from being a marginal group. Also, he rejects Jewish moralistic reasoning - that's alone is highly unusual for the Israeli right. And he is very influential here in Israel. So what do you think?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 
Send Topic Print