Send Topic Print
Palm Island.... (Read 19776 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Palm Island....
Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:02am

I think this came up in another thread but I can't remember where.

Did the officer use excessive force?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Palm-Island-police-officer-to-face-court/2007/03/16/1173722695174.html

Queensland police Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley will face court in Townsville over a Palm Island death in custody.

Sen Sgt Hurley will face the Supreme Court charged with one count each of manslaughter and assault of 36-year-old Mulrunji Doomadgee at Palm Island, in north Queensland, on November 19, 2004.

Hurley was the senior officer on Palm Island, and arrested Doomadgee and placed him in custody.

The death sparked a riot on the island.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Palm Island....
Reply #1 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:17am

In this particular case I have no sympathy for the aboriginals of Palm Island.  It must be a nightmare of a place for any policeman to be stationed.  It sounds as though the whole population is out of control.  Palm Island has got a history of violence and this particular episode is one of the more disgusting:

Quote:
The RSPCA has discovered hundreds of horses on Palm Island have endured torture and neglect at the hands of teenagers in the Aboriginal community on the North Queensland island. The Queensland State Government has reportedly said it refused to get involved and take action despite clear "photographic and anecdotal evidence" and has proposed an 'education program'. RSPCA inspectors are understandably angered by the government's inaction in removing the tortured and neglected animals.

Senior inspectors with decades of experience were reduced to tears at the plight of some animals on the most recent trip to the island three weeks ago.

Veteran inspector Mal Holland said: "This is the worst case on a mass scale of cruelty and neglect we have ever seen in this state and our hands are tied. It is heart-breaking.

"The only way those horses can be saved is if you get them off the island."
When the inspectors pressed the government for action they got little responce:

Mr Holland's frustrated colleagues say they are also battling apathetic and scared bureaucrats who cite "cultural sensitivity".

The ABC's The World Today reports that the Aboriginal Community and the State Government have started pointing fingers at each other, Palm Island's Aboriginal Community Council Chairwoman, Delena Foster said

We actually asked RSPCA two years ago to come and help us with the situation, and we recently got some money through ATSIC to put on two animal control officers, so what we got them to do was actually build a yard that we could put the horses that had owners, and then the ones that didn't have owners we were going to barge them off the community.

The last time the RSPCA came out to have a look at the horses, they were hidden by some of the people there. Unfortunately we certainly hope that that's not going to be the case now.

However RSPCA consultant Wayne Coolwell says they're both to blame and should just get on with fixing the situation.

I'm Aboriginal myself and I don't like to accuse my own people of things like this, but it's self-evident, Louise, and cruelty is cruelty, and when you see the photographs and you hear the stories, there's obviously a real problem on that island.

I don't want to accuse the Government of neglect, but I've got to be honest with you and say that they've had opportunities to address this issue over the last, since I've been involved in it, the last four or five years. They know about the issue, but as I said I think on the priority list, it's way down.

The State Government has since said that they will start removing the abused animals, but the Aboriginal council has stated that it will demand 'compensation' for animals removed.

Palm Island Aboriginal Council deputy chairman Alfred Lacey said the animals were a "marketable export commodity" that could fetch up to $1000 each.

He said the islanders would have a community get-together to discuss the threatened removal and compensation issue.

"These people have to be paid money for their horses. The Government can't just take them away for nothing, even the sick ones," Mr Lacey said.

"They (the Government) wouldn't get away with it anywhere else in the state. They have to compensate when they take white fellas' land, don't they?"

This is a disgusting play of the race card. This is not land being taken, these are abused animals and the RSPCA has a mandate that allows it to remove abused & neglected animals without permission from or compensation for the owner. That is what is happening here and Mr Lacey is trying to obscure the issue by turning it into a race issue. As RSPCA chief executive officer Mark Townend said:

"It's an outrageous claim to want compensation. If they can injure and neglect their horses they obviously don't value them at all."

Owners of animals seized are never compensated for removal of their animals under current legislation. Their only recourse is through civil courts.

http://glenn.typepad.com/news/2003/07/animal_cruelty_.html#more

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:28am

So Mulrunji Doomadgee deserved to die?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 11:04am

Of course not!

Hurley should have been charged with manslaughter from the beginning.  The matter would be over and done with by now.

But it would not be an easy job for any state police stationed at Palm Island.  There appears to be a very vicious attitude towards anyone in authority on Palm Island.

Perhaps Hurley was heavy handed - but many police are.  It was unfortunate that Doomadgee died - but there is no doubt provocation was used.

« Last Edit: Mar 16th, 2007 at 7:21pm by mantra »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 11:16am

Perhaps they need some kind of scheme involving the deputising of locals, to get rid of the us vs them mentality.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 7:25pm

Deputising the locals sounds like a good idea.  I know they did have a female mayor at one stage who seemed to make a lot of sense, and at one stage I think they were going to just let Palm Island look after themselves and have no police.

I'm sure the Qld Govt has considered lots of different alternatives to curb the violence, but it's probably a combination of boredom, poverty and alcohol that causes these disturbances.

As long as they remove the horses - the population can do what they like.  It doesn't matter what colour a person is, but when they torment and brutalise animals, they deserve whatever they get.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 7:28pm

So it's OK for them to torment and brutalise the children, so long as the animals are taken care of?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #7 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:11pm

My omission - children and animals.   The situation with our indigenous children (and many non indigenous children also) in some areas is intolerable - yet it continues.

I hadn't heard of any incidents of child cruelty on Palm Island, although I'm sure it exists - but I would assume the few police on the Island would be into controlling law and order in general.

Children really are an oversight in many of these communities.  Concentration is more on domestic violence between adults and the small abused children don't rate much of a mention - unless someone blows the whistle, then gets banished, never to tell the story again.

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #8 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 10:26pm

there is a very ingrained and systematic cycle of abuse involving Palm Islands children, its heartbreaking really..youth suicide at intolerable levels..was in the media for a bit..then as usual fades into nothing!~  Its as if it simply doesnt matter..minorities suffer this 'blind eye' syndrome..One only has to hear soem of the beatups in here and on other forums, when we get tired of bashing Muslims , lets hop into the 'Abos'..this dehumanises them in the minds of the general population and I think its disgusting that these poor children have to suffer because they are the children of Abos..

I really,in the context of all the terrible things that happen at Palm Island, couldnt care less about what happened to Doomagee, or whatever his name is...its the children that trouble me. Issuses like thsi take away from the REAL CRIMES on Palm Island--violence and sexual abuse towards its
children....It sickens me.

IF THSES THINGS WERE happeneing to white kids, the country would be up in arms...but as they are just "abos'..what does it matter..they supuerflous to requirements anyway are,nt they?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #9 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 12:38pm

You made some good points Auzgurl.  It's obvious that our indigenous children in remote locations are neglected by the authorities and welfare groups - many of these small children have STD's through sexual abuse and it's on the news one day - then gone.

Non-indigenous children may be a little better off, but kids are way down on any politician's list of things to do to win over an electorate.  The number of murders of caucasion children has increased dramatically over the past few years.  The murderers (usually a father or boyfriend) average less than 5 years imprisonment.  Why is this - you get more for killing an adult - let alone the months of torture these kids are subject to prior to their death.

If this neglect is so rampant among non-indigenous children - why would our indigenous children be of any importance whatsoever.  Children from poor families barely rate a mention these days.

IP Logged

aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Reply #10 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 1:40pm

any copper that goes to Palm Island to try and help deserves a medal.These blokes and women put up with more crap than any other copper on the planet.Arresting officers put up with being abused,hit,kicked,spat at and have buckets of human waste thrown at them by violent drunken boongs.They often show remarkable restraint but as the old adage says"somethings gotta give"
Ya know if that drunken doomagee hadn't got pissed and beat up his missus he would not have been arrested in the first place.Stuff him

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 17th, 2007 at 3:39pm

quite right boof...its a very volitiale situation there, as it has been here in the past..Ive seen riots here and cars driven thru the front of the police station..its madness..we cant felt safe when they are out of control like this ..so you see boof, Im not a city girl.

its unfortunate and tragic mantra that the government doesnt support the most needy and vulnreable in our society, children.

Its a sad indictment of the world we hand to our children..the leaders of tomorrow..so broken and beyond repair. The environment..social justice issues so entrenched only genretions of breeding and work will start to see any inroads at all.
The ONE saving grace may be that we have ,as a generation, raised our children to believe they matter and are capable,..which may equip them to be competent and confident enought to take charge and make lemonade. Older generations showed small regard for the ability or impotrnace of children..seen and not heard was the general concensus.These days we educate our kids..and nurture them to believe they can do whatever they want..it just takes self belief.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 6:53pm

My omission - children and animals.  

What about the elderly? Can they get free reign to beat them up? What about their wives? And lets not be sexist and leave out the husbands...

I really,in the context of all the terrible things that happen at Palm Island, couldnt care less about what happened to Doomagee

Not even for the sake of justice? How are the children and animal going to get justice when people can get away with killing the adults?

It's as if you two are contributing to the dehumanisation you are so critical of.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Riots jury told to ignore 'wrong' report
Reply #13 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 8:46pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Riots-jury-told-to-ignore-wrong-report/2007/03/19/1174152953768.html

A judge has instructed the jury in a trial involving four men accused of rioting on Palm Island in November 2004 to ignore a "wrong and misleading" media report.

"One of these matters was an allegation or statement that was quite wrong ... that the four defendants of the trial were instigators of what occurred," Judge Griffin said.

John Major Clumpoint, William Neville Blackman, Lance Gabriel Poynter and Dwayne Daniel Blanket, all of Palm Island, have pleaded not guilty in Brisbane District Court to one count each of rioting with violence.

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #14 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 6:05pm

It's as if you two are contributing to the dehumanisation you are so critical of. "
--------------------------------

well never let it be said I split hairs, but I can hardly feel pity for a drunk who got a bad deal and then compare that to the plight of children at Palm Island.

You are right in this case..I DO NOt feel sorry for a drunk that got beat up by a couple of cops,,chances are he beat his wife and maybe his kids too, probably not such a huge loss if the truth be known.I see drunken Aborigines here and the way they traet theyre women and children and I feel very intense dislike for these creatures Freediver. These drunken men do much physical damage to the  families. I dont care if they drink themselves to death to be truthful..only its too slow..Live by the sword, die by the sword. If they, the community, put as much vocal indigantion behind the traversties that happen to the children as they do behind this one seemingly unfortunate case of a drunken man then there would be no problem for the children of Palm Island.....Sexual abuse is mostly perpetrarted by men on Palm Island and in most cases..so one less idle drunk seems not to be e big deal to me Freediver.I feel very striongly about abused aBl children and drunken men are the main perpetrators of thuis abuse and so I have no sense of fairness or humanity toward them at all. they are cruel and behave like animals when they attack theyre women and children. We put dogs down if they attack us..and yet when' humans' do this to their own they are treated with respect and dignity. ?Bullcr ap..they deserve tio be treated like animals if they imitate animals., and you may quote me.

Im being entirely consistent with my veiws elsewhere on peadophiles.

Its all about priorities.

You cannot dehumanise those who have no humanity.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #15 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 8:08pm

Oh sorry I didn't realise Mulrunji Doomadgee was a paedophile. I guess it's the whole 'don't speak ill of the dead' thing that's keeping it quiet.

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 9:01pm

Freediver..

You know what I mean.Im not going to explain it again..It seems you have had little to do with Indigenous communities or you would know the story about the high degree of sexual abuse amongst Abl communities. Its endemic and alchohol is one of the main reasons it happens.

I just have no respect for Ind drunks..none at all,even though I know they have all kinds of reasons for alcohol abuse..I also believe that at some point they have to get some guts and decency about themselves and stop the cycle of abuse., for the sake of theyre children.

If they want others to care they have to start caring about themselves.

« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2007 at 9:10pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #17 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 9:46am

If Mulrunji Doomadgee had been a white drunk, would you be so keen to excuse the injustice?

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #18 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 11:25am

Injustice? There are all kinds of injustices far more damaging and newsworthy than Doomagee....lets get some perspective eh>?

Im far more concerned abiout justice for thiose who have no control over theyre lives such as children and animals.Doomagee chose to be a drunk, he knew his environment and how blackfellas get roughed up in jail..he wouldnt be the first to have been touched up freediver!! He knew the score, ran the gauntlet anyway, he paid the price.

Noones saying its right..but IT IS life for  Indigenous pple.

I think we could be more instruemental even on this board, with the way we respect Ind. pple....I have seen them referred to as all kinds of dreogatory names on here (dehumanising) and yet these names are left as is..'Coons' is the latest one. and connected to a very offensive pic.. Let consistency be the norm and we may get pple to care about what happens to pple like Doomagee.

The pic I refer to Is on the posters thread and depicts a black man lying drunk on a pavement. THAT IS DEHUMANISING!!!!!

Im amazed that moderators let this kind of thing be posted and only remove it after someone complains, when its clearly defamatory.

The pics of a boob and fat pple are asked to be removed but the 'coon' pic is OK? Angry

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #19 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 11:32am

Let me get this right. Mulrunji wasn't a pedophile, didn't 'bother' the horses and didn't beat his wife. Yet you care not for justice for him because of the one mistake he did make - being born black. Why do white people deserve individual justice, but black people deserve group justice? Can the police kill black people randomly because of the crimes committed by other black people? You complain about a picture which allegedly dehumanises black people. If you weren't racist you wouldn't notice the skin colour, you would see a photo of a drunk passed out on the pavement. The racism is in your interpretation of the picture, not the picture itself.

What could be more dehumanising to a group of people than being murdered by those who supposedly represent law and order and denying them justice on the basis of skin colour?

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #20 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:03pm

why are you being hostile freediver?

I already said it wasnt right...didnt I?

and 2 wrongs dont make a right..the pic of the black man IS derogatory and you saying its not wont change that will it?

As for justice...WHEN HAS THERE EVER BEEN JUSTICE FOR BLACK PPLE?.....If you can answer that for me please?

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #21 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:08pm

Let me get this right. Mulrunji wasn't a pedophile, didn't 'bother' the horses and didn't beat his wife."
----------------------

who said he never did these things?...this was never reported!

Yopu need to live in a black community before we can have this discussion freediver.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #22 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:09pm

You said it wasn't right. You also said you didn't care whether Doomadgee got justice.

I'm not being hostile. I'm being argumentative.  Wink

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #23 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:23pm

If Mulrunji Doomadgee had been a white drunk, would you be so keen to excuse the injustice?  "
---------

here Freediver it  suits you to point out the color of Doomagees skin, but YOU are not rascist?
--
Freediver says..
You complain about a picture which allegedly dehumanises black people. If you weren't racist you wouldn't notice the skin colour, "
-------------------------------------------

This is your problem not mine..I was more concerned with the word 'coon' not that the man was actually balck..coomonsense Freediver please, you couldnt make that assertion stand up in court , so why try it on me?..COON IS a rascist term and linked to the picture infers plenty.!!!!.Let the picture stand Freediver, its your call.Only you can decide what is right and wrong for your forum....depends on your values.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Its seems to me the reference to horses means you have me confused with the other female poster in here..I have made no such comments re horses.I never called Doomagee a peadophile and you are detremined to be contrary..I said black drunken men are responsible for most cases of sexual abuse on the children in these commnuities. You can read into my post what you like..but i prefer to deal with what is actually said not what I beieve is inferered as then it becomes a product of my own imagination and my arguement is stuffed.

I dont have time for drunks.I sound opiniontaed because it deeply disturbs me the abuse I see dished out to kids because of drunken black males. I sounds a bit harsh because it makes me angry. White males get bashed in custody too..and some die.

Go live among black pple with these social issues and then come back and we can talk...otherwise youlll never make sense to me., because I deal in reality .
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:36pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #24 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:29pm

Can you answer this for me freediver..do you deny  that drunken black men..physically abuse and sexually abuse children and women?

its a straight question?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:50pm

Sure, so do sober white men. I just think it's irrelevant to whether Mulrunji Doomadgee deserves justice.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #26 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 12:58pm

On the racist picture issue, I have already indicated my preparedness to take action and my willingness to follow a democratic process in setting standards. Please post a link to the image in this thread:

http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1173137248

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #27 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 1:31pm

Sure, so do sober white men. I just think it's irrelevant to whether Mulrunji Doomadgee deserves justice "
-----------------------------------------------------

Doomage deserves justice OK?..but its a side issue when it comes to Palm Island real problems.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #28 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 1:39pm

You don't think that lack of faith in the justice system is a major barrier to solving the 'non-murder' problems also? What sort of message do you think this sends to the victims of Palm Island's other problems? Injustice has a habit of spreading from the top down. Some call it the 'kick the dog' syndrome.

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #29 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 1:54pm

Look freediver Ive been argueing justice for black pple for a long time...so I do know what your saying but I think we got off on the wrong foot re this thread and Im done with this one for now.

having said all the things I have to highlights injustices,..I Do get very impatient with the drunks who not only give up on themselves but CANNOT see that it is destrotying theyre communities and most of all there children..This is not about a justice system for me , its abou human decency..Im tired of sticking up for them when they seem to do not very much to help themselves.

The children have no control and I stll say..I dont care about 'victims' like Domagee..he was no good to his pple anyway.The fact he was balck is neither here nor there..hes had too much publicity already.

These pple need to behave theirway to success..and stop whining..all these do gooders , me included, fighting for them and they give up on themselves..hows that working for them I wonder?]

The justice system will change for them when they get in and chage it..it has to come from them I think!!!!!

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #30 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 1:57pm

I dont know how to give you the link for that pic, so leave it then' or ask Aus Nat to remove it as you asked me.

I dont care anymore...I dont want be the keeper of values on here, its not my job

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 2:19pm

In a community, everyone is a keeper of values. I don't want it to be my job either. I don't want to impose values which the members of this forum do not share.

Just post a link to the thread page. Each page of a thread has a different URL. Just copy and paste it from the address bar. Don't worry if it isn't a 'functioning' link as we can copy and paste it back into our address bar. There are also instructions on the feedback board on posting links.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Jury retires in Palm Island riot case
Reply #32 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 7:15pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Jury-retires-in-Palm-Island-riot-case/2007/03/21/1174153123944.html

A jury charged with deciding whether four men violently rioted on Palm Island in November 2004 has retired to consider its verdicts.

Teen 'heard voices' before raping child

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Teen-heard-voices-before-raping-child/2007/03/21/1174153135901.html

A teenage petrol sniffer heard voices that "made him horny" shortly before he raped a five-year-old boy at a remote Aboriginal community, a court has heard.

The 18-year-old was sentenced to four-and-a-half years prison, suspended immediately, in Alice Springs last week after pleading guilty to the crime in November.

He was 15 and staying with his uncle when he sodomised the boy at a Barkly community in the Northern Territory on October 23, 2004.

Before sentencing the youth, Justice Angel noted that he had also been sexually abused as a child and that he claimed to have heard voices.

Mr Angel also said the matter had taken a long time to move through the judicial system, and that the teenager had been in prison since his arrest in 2004.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #33 - Mar 21st, 2007 at 8:28pm

Quote:
Before sentencing the youth, Justice Angel noted that he had also been sexually abused as a child and that he claimed to have heard voices.

Its a vicious cycle - the children are raped and they grow up to rape.  How did we let this happen.  Nobody knows what the answer is.  Perhaps it's the fact that 200 years ago the aboriginals were brutalised and murdered to such an extent that they have lost touch with their values.

Some aboriginals are punished harshly - others aren't.  They are all entitled to justice - although for many years in some communities they were allowed to use their tribal justice which apparently was effective.

But it seems that alcohol is definitely the most dangerous issue.  How do we stop people drinking?  The rapes and beatings go on with white people as well - but there's always a neighbour or somebody near by who can contact the authorities to put a stop to it, but in black communities - there is a code of silence so it's rarely brought to the attention of the authorities and if it is - do they really care?

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #34 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 9:59pm

excellent points mantra..

and a lot of these commnuities are way out in the bush..no police on call or even within an hour to help women and children sliced up by broken bottles , babies dropped in fires because of a drunken parent staggering around with a tiny infant..Couples ahving sex beside sleeping or even children awake and in full veiw..all these are done by adults in an alcohloic state.

yes there is a cycle of abuse, sexual and physical violence and it does go around that victims become perpetrators. But they still cannot make decisions for theyre consciences or other wise whilst they are drunk
  mantra , i think this would go a good way to explain the loss of values in their society..and the introduction of alcohol is the single biggest destroyer of Indigenous commnuities..very few can handle it the way whites can.

Mantra says...

" - the children are raped and they grow up to rape.  How did we let this happen.  Nobody knows what the answer is.  Perhaps it's the fact that 200 years ago the aboriginals were brutalised and murdered to such an extent that they have lost touch with their values."
 I would wholeheartedly agree with that.
We stop pple drinking by legislation and communities who are vigilant and who give  a care, the solutions lie with Indigenous commuities..they just need strategies to help them cope and implement good plans of action, so they do need eduactors to get them statred in the right direction...They have to reinstill values back into their lives and rather than educate the young pple with the old culture so much, they have to update it , so it becomes relevant to their lives .

Education by their own trained professionals is the way in schools especially, health care etc..They need theyre own pple to show them the way. Not patronising whites who cannot conceive what it is like to be born black and into a marginalised minority, and fight for freedoms and recognition in your own land.

They are marginalised, ignored and kept out of sight.       Genocide by stealth..ie: deliberate neglectful inaction by Government...theyll drink themselves to death sooner rather than later...let em go...........its murderous!!

Nothing less then murderous.
« Last Edit: Mar 22nd, 2007 at 10:07pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Qld police 'persecute poor, indigenous'
Reply #35 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 5:29pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Qld-police-persecute-poor-indigenous/2007/06/14/1181414447317.html

Queensland's indigenous people and the homeless suffer high levels of police harassment, according to a report by legal and community groups.

Commissioned by a coalition of legal organisations including the Queensland Council of Social Service (QCOSS) and community groups such as the Red Cross, the No Vagrancy report calls for a number of investigations into allegations police persecute the socially vulnerable.

Report chairpersons Bob Weatherall, an Aboriginal elder, and chair of Legal Aid Queensland Marg O'Donnell interviewed 131 people from Brisbane and Townsville living in poverty and surveyed 54 criminal justice professionals.

They found people experiencing poverty endure high levels of police interference in their lives, with approximately 75 per cent of interviewees making allegations of police harassment.

At least 20 people said they were frequently searched by police for no apparent reason, and some reported they had been strip-searched in public or by an officer of the opposite sex.

Many indigenous interviewees said they believe police target them on the streets simply because of their skin colour.

IP Logged

cautious connie(Guest)

Re: Qld police 'persecute poor, indigenous'
Reply #36 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 6:57pm

freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2007 at 5:29pm:
...Queensland's indigenous people and the homeless suffer high levels of police harassment, according to a report by legal and community groups.

Commissioned by a coalition of legal organisations including the Queensland Council of Social Service (QCOSS) and community groups such as the Red Cross, the No Vagrancy report calls for a number of investigations into allegations police persecute the socially vulnerable.

Report chairpersons Bob Weatherall, an Aboriginal elder, and chair of Legal Aid Queensland Marg O'Donnell interviewed 131 people from Brisbane and Townsville living in poverty and surveyed 54 criminal justice professionals.

They found people experiencing poverty endure high levels of police interference in their lives, with approximately 75 per cent of interviewees making allegations of police harassment.

At least 20 people said they were frequently searched by police for no apparent reason, and some reported they had been strip-searched in public or by an officer of the opposite sex.

Many indigenous interviewees said they believe police target them on the streets simply because of their skin colour.

It is very sad that some of the people who join the army and police force do so because they have the inclination to dominate and be aggressive, abusing a position of authority.  I wonder if psychological assessment and background investigation coudl prevent these people from becoming police/army members in the first place. Or if training/counselling could redirect the attitude in a useful fashion.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Re: Qld police 'persecute poor, indigenous'
Reply #37 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 7:24pm

Quote:
freediver wrote on Jun 14th, 2007 at 5:29pm:
...Queensland's indigenous people and the homeless suffer high levels of police harassment, according to a report by legal and community groups.

It is very sad that some of the people who join the army and police force do so because they have the inclination to dominate and be aggressive, abusing a position of authority.  I wonder if psychological assessment and background investigation coudl prevent these people from becoming police/army members in the first place. Or if training/counselling could redirect the attitude in a useful fashion.

This is correct connie..

Police should have extensive background and psycholigcal checks..updated periodically .This would weed out some of the offenders.

The Ind. man Doomagee was hit so hard, by a cop..his liver was split in two.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #38 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 8:41pm

The copper must be responsible. He and Mr Domagee enter a cell, Mr Domagee dies from injuries.

I have known coppers, their job is terrible.
Many of the people they deal with hate them, imagine that in your everyday job ?
They deal with a lot of pain in their job daily. The see the worst of humans. They become embittered and sarcastic, their only associates are other cops.
They become very hardened, as a necessity.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #39 - Jun 14th, 2007 at 8:50pm

Sprintcyclist wrote on Jun 14th, 2007 at 8:41pm:
The copper must be responsible. He and Mr Domagee enter a cell, Mr Domagee dies from injuries.

I have known coppers, their job is terrible.
Many of the people they deal with hate them, imagine that in your everyday job ?
They deal with a lot of pain in their job daily. The see the worst of humans. They become embittered and sarcastic, their only associates are other cops.
They become very hardened, as a necessity.

Agreed Sprint,

I never be a cop. Im too shocked by pain and suffering..their job is so hard,and i wouldnt do it for a million dollars a yr let alone what they are paid. BUT..they must also follow the guidelines laid down in theyre training and not transgress those boundaries..if they do..law and order go out the window and we become an lawless society..we look up to Police to protect us.Anarchy will reign.

They should be debreifed regularly and have professional counselling regularly to assess if they becoming hardened and traumatised by theyre work, especially those in the front line such as Palm Island Police.

Its a tough job. I wouldnt do it.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 12:38pm

Mulrunji Doomadgee's death
Jun 21st, 2007, 11:14pm    What is legal is not always what is just.

Calm in Palm Island after verdict
A Queensland police officer charged after a Palm Island man died in his custody has been found not guilty of manslaughter and not guilty of assault.
The officer would be immediately reinstated and posted to the Gold Coast.
The Townsville Supreme Court jury of eight women and four men today took just over three hours to deliver its not guilty verdict on both charges.
Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley pleaded not guilty to one count each of manslaughter and assault over Mulrunji Doomadgee's death at the Palm Island watchhouse on November 19, 2004.
The death triggered riots on the island.
Last week, the trial heard Mr Doomadgee had died of internal bleeding after his liver was cleaved in two across his spine and his portal vein burst.
The injuries resulted from the application of what was described to the court as moderate to massive force.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #41 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 12:39pm

It's hard to believe that they could pass off that much damage to a person as an accident.

Aborigines to march on Qld parliament

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Aborigines-to-march-on-Qld-parliament/2007/06/22/1182019319298.html

Aborigines will march on Queensland's parliament house to protest about the acquittal of Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley over the death in custody of Mulrunji Doomadgee.

The march also will highlight concerns about Prime Minister John Howard's wide-ranging response to the problem of child abuse in the Northern Territory's indigenous communities, which includes bans on alcohol and pornography.

"We believe there should be a royal commission into the death in custody of Mulrunji Doomadgee," Mr Watson said.

Townsville hits back at KKK slur

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Townsville-hits-back-at-KKK-slur/2007/06/21/1182019278478.html

Townsville Mayor Tony Mooney has hit out after the north Queensland city was dubbed the Ku Klux Klan capital of Australia in the wake of a policeman's acquittal over a death in custody.

Aboriginal activist Murrandoo Yanner said he was not surprised by the verdict.

"I know Townsville well. Honestly (it's) the KKK capital of Australia, that's no joke," he told reporters.

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #42 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 6:01pm

OzPolitic

Doomagee--
Today at 11:01am    

yourselfNEWS HOME > NATIONAL NEWS Monday Jun 25 10:59 AEST  
Palm Island family mulls civil action
Thursday Jun 21 09:55 AEST
A lawyer for the family of Mulrunji Doomadgee says the door is still open to pursue legal action against the police officer cleared of his manslaughter.

A Townsville jury found Senior Sergeant Chris Hurley not guilty of the manslaughter and assault of the 36-year-old Aborigine in the Palm Island watchhouse in north Queensland in November 2004.

The verdict has sparked anger and calls for the Doomadgee family to pursue civil action against Snr Sgt Hurley, Australia's first policeman charged over an Aboriginal death in custody.

Lawyer Andrew Boe said the family had asked him to investigate whether it could pursue further action against the officer, who acknowledged during the trial that his actions must have caused the death.

"The acceptance (by Snr Sgt Hurley) of having caused that injury by actions, albeit found by a jury in a criminal trial in the criminal standard as being not sufficient to attach criminal liability, I don't think closes the door on whether or not there's civil liability," Mr Boe told ABC radio.

Mulrunji died of internal bleeding after suffering a blow to the abdomen, which resulted in his liver being cleaved in two and his portal vein bursting, about an hour after being taken into custody for swearing.

Three medical experts testified the injuries could have occurred by Snr Sgt Hurley accidentally falling on top of Mulrunji with his knee protruding, or by the officer intentionally performing a "knee drop".

The officer told the court he "must have" fallen on top of Mulrunji, but added the incident was a "grey area."

Mr Boe said civil action could take place in a Supreme Court before a judge or jury.

He said civil courts had a lesser standard of proof than criminal courts."
-------------------

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=272336

IP Logged

AusNat 14/88
Ex Member

Reply #43 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 7:16pm

I COULDNT CARE LESS.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #44 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 9:30pm

Quote:
I COULDNT CARE LESS.

How freaky is this ay Aussie! Same colours and everything. Smiley

http://tbn0.google.com/imagesq=tbn:zeWxzFR6TfVmpM:www.uoregon.edu/~ahelmrei
« Last Edit: Jun 25th, 2007 at 9:52pm by oceanz »  

IP Logged

AusNat 14/88
Ex Member

Reply #45 - Jun 25th, 2007 at 10:17pm

That dont bother me- this is the flag of my heritage.

images.jpg (1 KB | 72 )
images.jpg

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #46 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 10:33am

We're running out of things to talk about, aren't we?

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #47 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 11:20am

seems that way freediver.
maybe it goes in ebbs and flows.
Depends on what topcs are going and the time we have.

IP Logged

AusNat 14/88
Ex Member

Reply #48 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 11:32am

freediver wrote on Jun 26th, 2007 at 10:33am:
We're running out of things to talk about, aren't we?

We most certainly are.  need something to happen in the news.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Man dies in police custody in north Qld
Reply #49 - Jun 26th, 2007 at 12:43pm

Man dies in police custody in north Qld

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Man-dies-in-police-custody-in-north-Qld/2007/06/26/1182623873649.html

A man has died in police custody in north Queensland.

A police spokeswoman said the man was being taken to the Mareeba watchhouse for questioning when he was found dead in a police vehicle.

Police would give no other details, including when the death occurred and if the man was of indigenous background.

So shooting someone in the back four times is a 'dangerous act'???

No lawyers at police shooting inquest

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/No-lawyers-at-police-shooting-inquest/2007/06/26/1182623898815.html

The federal government is refusing to fund legal representation for the family of a teenager shot dead by a police officer at a remote Aboriginal community in the Northern Territory.

An inquest will be held into the death of the 18-year-old, who was shot in the back four times during rioting in October 2002 at Wadeye, 350km southwest of Darwin.

Senior Constable Robert Gregory Whittington was charged with committing a dangerous act over the death of the teenager, who cannot be named for cultural reasons.

Mulrunji family to launch civil case

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Mulrunji-family-to-launch-civil-case/2007/07/02/1183229002948.html

The family of Aboriginal man Mulrunji Doomadgee, who died in police custody on Palm Island almost three years ago, will launch further legal action by the end of the week.

Now, his family plans to pursue a civil case against Snr Sgt Hurley, as well as the Queensland police service and possibly the Queensland police minister.

Lawyer Andrew Boe says the action should be lodged by the end of the week.

"We've been able to get advice from an expert in the field outlining that there are causes of action that do lie against parties including the senior sergeant," Mr Boe told ABC radio.

"This death should not go down in vain and if there are liabilities that are attached with consequences for government, police services, as well as the senior sergeant, well they will be pursued."

But he said the family was not concerned about the time it could take, nor whether they would receive any monetary compensation.

"It's not a question of moving on, it's a question of pursuing every avenue in which there can be some determination about responsibility.

Senate sorry for Doomadgee's family

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Senate-sorry-for-Doomadgees-family/2007/08/07/1186252699548.html

The Senate has voted to extend its condolences to the family of Aboriginal man Mulrunji Doomadgee who died in police custody on Palm Island on November 19, 2004.

The Senate on Tuesday passed without debate a condolence motion moved by Australian Greens senator Bob Brown.

The motion noted that Mr Doomadgee's son Eric and Patrick Bramwell, a 24-year-old Aboriginal man who was in police lock-up as Mr Doomadgee died, had both committed suicide.

It also noted Mr Doomadgee's mother had been too ill to attend his funeral and had since died.

Riot at north Qld aboriginal community

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Riot-at-north-Qld-aboriginal-community/2007/12/04/1196530619463.html

About 200 people armed with spears, sticks and knives rioted through the far north Queensland Aboriginal community of Aurukun overnight, police say.

The violence began at the community's tavern at 6pm (AEST) and then moved on to the street where a large group of people gathered, police said.

One man received serious head injured when he was attacked by three people.

Officers from the Cairns tactical crime squad helped local police quell the violence.

Investigations into the riot are continuing.
« Last Edit: Dec 4th, 2007 at 12:15pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #50 - Feb 12th, 2023 at 4:20pm

It's hard to believe there's so much social unrest at Palm Island.

I guess that was before it was developed. It looks pretty flash now.

IBI

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #51 - Feb 12th, 2023 at 5:57pm

Well - don't get into police custody on Palm Island....

Do not the crimes clock up
And you won't see the lock-up ...
Behave yourself the proper way
You'll always see the light of day...

Chuck - we have got to get off this island...... but I want a look inside that light house first...

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #52 - Feb 12th, 2023 at 8:24pm

Gordo's got the Necromancy bug.
That makes 4 members now. Cheesy

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gordon
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Gordon
Reply #53 - Feb 12th, 2023 at 8:47pm

Jasin wrote on Feb 12th, 2023 at 8:24pm:
Gordo's got the Necromancy bug.
That makes 4 members now. Cheesy

I really love what they've done to the place since the first post was made.

IBI

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #54 - Feb 12th, 2023 at 8:53pm

I agree. Shame we don't have something like that here.
Sylvania Waters just doesn't cut it for me.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 
Send Topic Print