Send Topic Print
anonymous candidates (Read 4205 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
anonymous candidates
Mar 9th, 2007 at 12:50pm

What do you all think of the idea of not knowing who you are voting for at election time? All you would get is a formal policy statement from each candidate.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Re: anonymous candidates
Reply #1 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 2:58pm

dunno about that FD.You cant trust most of them know when you can see them what hope if they are invisable.Sorry for the broad generalization.

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #2 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 4:25pm

freediver wrote on Mar 9th, 2007 at 12:50pm:
What do you all think of the idea of not knowing who you are voting for at election time? All you would get is a formal policy statement from each candidate.

That won't work Freediver. When you say "formal policy statement" how in depth would that be. Obviously you need to read this..

http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1173182998

and

http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1173261822

I suppose, as you have previously written;

[url]The vast majority are not that interested.[/url]

It wouldn't really matter how in depth it was.
Wink

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 5:28pm

I don't think many people care who represents their party in the electorate - as long as the party they prefer gets in - they're happy.

Besides how much do they do for you anyway - you only hear from them prior to an election - who knows what they do for the rest of the time?

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Reply #4 - Mar 9th, 2007 at 6:49pm

Another point is we don't even know what the party's stand for as they change their stance everyday. It's like in business, everyone says they have great service, what a load of crap. Tongue

You're right Mantra because people don't care enough about politics and it's easier for them just to pick a party. Don't have to use brainpower that way. Most people wouldn't know what the policies are unless it was sensationalised by the press, like GST. They might turn the tv on and hear Rudd saying that all hospitals will be doubled and free and say "gee, that sounds good I'll vote for him", but they didn't turn the tv on the next night and didn't hear Rudd say "We will invade Iran as soon as I'm elected".

*Please not Rudds comments and the use of Rudds name is only as an example.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:24am

How embarresing it would be for the NLP to retain power by 90% Donkey Votes. Grin

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Grappler Truth Teller Feller
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Proud pre-1850's NO Voter
Reply #6 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:26am

Who was that masked man?

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:29am

Are those core or non-core policy statements?  Are they signed in blood at a crossroads at midnight on All Hallows Eve under a full moon and with seven demons dancing??

It would be interesting to see the result though... a washout for the major parties, methinks... landslide of the small boulders....

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
― John Adams

IP Logged

DonDeeHippy
Gold Member

Cool Stuff

Australia
Reply #8 - May 7th, 2019 at 6:34am

Ahh so voting on policies not personalities… not a bad idea, would have to be binding as well, if the candidate doesn't implement the policies or actively support them then they get kicked out. Wink

I am me

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #9 - May 7th, 2019 at 9:06am

Jasin wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 12:24am:
How embarresing it would be for the NLP to retain power by 90% Donkey Votes. Grin

You've already started ... who's the NLP?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

minarchist
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #10 - May 7th, 2019 at 11:15am

I think only people with STEM degrees, own a business and/or own or are paying off property should be allowed to vote. My reason for this that people who've obtained at least one of these things have not only got their s#$t together but are more likely to make rational decisions based on the facts presented before them, rather than make decisions based on impulse and/or emotion.

People accuse Capitalism of being a "dog eat dog" system, yet it was the Communists who ate each other when they were starving!

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #11 - May 7th, 2019 at 11:21am

minarchist wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 11:15am:

I think only people with STEM degrees, own a business and/or own or are paying off property should be allowed to vote. My reason for this that people who've obtained at least one of these things have not only got their s#$t together but are more likely to make rational decisions based on the facts presented before them, rather than make decisions based on impulse and/or emotion.

Disenfranchise the already marginal and politicians and money will ignore them even more than they do now. let them eat cake.

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:02pm

minarchist wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 11:15am:

Laughable - you Fascist...

I think that anyone over a certain net worth should be excluded from voting and from holding office due to self-interest and conflict of interest.

Go back to the Dark Ages....

A little of that impulse and/or emotion might send you to the guillotine one day...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - May 7th, 2019 at 12:03pm

Gnads wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 9:06am:
Jasin wrote on May 7th, 2019 at 12:24am:

You've already started ... who's the NLP?

Nasty Leeches and Pr1cks...

― John Adams

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - May 7th, 2019 at 1:50pm

Grin apt description of todays crop.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print