Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print
Rules, pictures, links, polls, contact, boards etc (Read 62642 times)
mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Rules, pictures, links, polls, contact, boards etc
Reply #15 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 9:55am

freediver wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 8:15am:
I try to make the rules somewhat reflective of the law when it comes to slander, libel etc. There is a general principle that people who put themselves in the public eye need to expect more and broader criticism than those who do not. Politicians are at the top of the list. You can get away with just about anything in criticising them, partly because the law supports it, and partly because they just don't bother suing people. They are too clever to waste their money, and it is bad politically. Accusing them of pedophilia etc is probably stretching it, and we have a rule here that you cannot do this unless the accusation is in the mainstream media.

Likewise you can normally get away with broad accusations against religious leaders and celebrities. Probably not to the same extent as politicians, as the Rebel Wilson case demonstrates.

This site often tops google search results for a variety of topics, so we are not flying under the radar any more.

You have to be especially careful with businesses and product reviews, as these people have a motivation to sue. You need to be honest, fair, reasonable and motivated by the public interest rather than spite. For the most part they are reluctant to sue, even for an unfair and untrue criticism, because it brings them bad press, especially if they are a business people tend to dislike for political reasons (eg Maccas).

The rules on this are very grey and largely determined by what a judge considers reasonable or normal. Case law (eg Rebel Wilson, and the consumer opinion website example Mozz gave) are probably the best thing to go by.

Please report via PM anything you think puts me at risk of getting sued.

FD, you are prosecutable daily. As much as it may titlate you to have threads about how all Muslims are terrorists; squat down to pee; have an IQ of 85; rape their children; beat their wives, it is not the done thing ...

... and that Aboriginals are alcoholic dole bludgers who are genetically beneath us ...

And all of the other racist filth you allow on here and do not instruct your moderartors (who seem confused about thier rights and reponsibilities) or put forward any impartial moderators who will actually watch your back ...

... and while your refuse to protect members of your forum themselves ..

And you want us to watch your back? Are you serious?

You're up for the high jump old boy. If, as you say, we are coming up on google searches, you're screwed. The horse has bolted.

Pray. That's the best chance you've got.

If you can't be a good example, you have to be a horrible warning.

IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:09am

Oh, and FYI? Having a poster called Dr Mengele, who posts as they do, leaves you just a little bit exposed ... just so you know.
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2017 at 10:19am by mothra »  

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 11:52am

mothra wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 9:55am:
freediver wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 8:15am:
I try to make the rules somewhat reflective of the law when it comes to slander, libel etc. There is a general principle that people who put themselves in the public eye need to expect more and broader criticism than those who do not. Politicians are at the top of the list. You can get away with just about anything in criticising them, partly because the law supports it, and partly because they just don't bother suing people. They are too clever to waste their money, and it is bad politically. Accusing them of pedophilia etc is probably stretching it, and we have a rule here that you cannot do this unless the accusation is in the mainstream media.

Likewise you can normally get away with broad accusations against religious leaders and celebrities. Probably not to the same extent as politicians, as the Rebel Wilson case demonstrates.

This site often tops google search results for a variety of topics, so we are not flying under the radar any more.

You have to be especially careful with businesses and product reviews, as these people have a motivation to sue. You need to be honest, fair, reasonable and motivated by the public interest rather than spite. For the most part they are reluctant to sue, even for an unfair and untrue criticism, because it brings them bad press, especially if they are a business people tend to dislike for political reasons (eg Maccas).

The rules on this are very grey and largely determined by what a judge considers reasonable or normal. Case law (eg Rebel Wilson, and the consumer opinion website example Mozz gave) are probably the best thing to go by.

Please report via PM anything you think puts me at risk of getting sued.

FD, you are prosecutable daily. As much as it may titlate you to have threads about how all Muslims are terrorists; squat down to pee; have an IQ of 85; rape their children; beat their wives, it is not the done thing ...

... and that Aboriginals are alcoholic dole bludgers who are genetically beneath us ...

And all of the other racist filth you allow on here and do not instruct your moderartors (who seem confused about thier rights and reponsibilities) or put forward any impartial moderators who will actually watch your back ...

... and while your refuse to protect members of your forum themselves ..

And you want us to watch your back? Are you serious?

You're up for the high jump old boy. If, as you say, we are coming up on google searches, you're screwed. The horse has bolted.

Indeed. News Ltd was found guilty for publishing the racial vilification of Andrew Bolt.

2UE has been found liable for broadcasting the inflammatory comments of Alan Jones.

Let's face it, FD's never going to cop a subpoena, but he has actively supported the views of posters who personally vilified Yassmin Abdel-Magied, Gillian Triggs, and various other tabloid enemies. FD has studiously evaded the question of whether issuing death or rape threats constitutes freedom of speech, but he has actively drummed up hostility towards Yassmin for being a Muslim - and tinted.

Yes, FD sees himself as a victim of Yassmin's criticism of Australian racism. In return, he accepts death and rape threats, including an avalanche of menacing phone messages and social media posts, not to mention a tabloid storm. FD is able to block out all the reasons someone might say Australians are racist - such as calling to ban people based on their religion and their level of tintedness.

Not racist, according to FD, and all above board. I doubt he's going to get himself into hot water over it. It is, however, a dangerous social turn. If all Australians expressed such views, we'd have an extremely hostile, mean and elitist society. FD, of course, is advocating for all Australians to express such views, and he's using an electronic communications medium to do it.

He's not going to face a law suit over it, but on the face of it, FD has supported libel and racial vilification in a number of threads, not to mention the entire board.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #18 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 1:08pm

Of course, some people will use empty or meaningless threats of legal action to achieve censorship.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mothra
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 1:21pm

freediver wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 1:08pm:
Of course, some people will use empty or meaningless threats of legal action to achieve censorship.

What about threats of rape and violence as a means to censor, FD?

Character assassination? Sexually explicit  abuse?

Quite alright?

IP Logged

bogarde73
Gold Member

Anti-Global & Contra Mundum

Reply #20 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 2:11pm

Strict adherence to the Mothra Guidelines on Political Correctness, Toxic Masculinity, White Guilt, Obedience to Islam, inter alia, will ensure immunity from prosecution.
Or my name's not Linda Sarsour!

Know the enemies of a civil society by their public behaviour, by their fraudulent claim to be liberal-progressive, by their propensity to lie and, above all, by their attachment to authoritarianism.

IP Logged

Mattyfisk
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Nov 30th, 2017 at 3:15pm

True. And some will use empty or meaningless defences like "what a judge considers reasonable or normal".

What sound does a jellyfish make?

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #22 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 9:57am

Nom de Plume wrote on Nov 29th, 2017 at 3:04pm:
I have never been banned or threatened with such as either Nom de Plume or Sappho. I suggest then, that there is more to it, Mothra.

Of course there is.

In fact the violent behaviour of Leftwing protesters has been the subject of discussion only recently in the aftermath of the Milo talks.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 10:03am

mothra wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 9:55am:

Wow!

Mothra's broken loose. Gone feral on Freediver with a succession of bitch slapping that she threatens may be terminal.

Marla will be proud of you.

Here, borrow this, Mothra.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #24 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 10:28am

link

Re: Swearing & Racial Abuse
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 2:24pm Quote
perceptions_now wrote on Dec 19th, 2011 at 10:49am:

"In particular, please watch your F & C's and do not try avoiding the swear checker program!

I will change those that I pick up and if that doesn't seem to be working, then I will delete the post and if that still doesn't work, then you may get an enforced rest.

Cheers!"

I thought FD had since then decided to assume that the membership here is composed only of adults and that a moderate amount of the use of the 'f' word would be tolerated as it is any where else among a gathering of adults. For emphasis I sometimes find the word is phcuking indispensable.

"Do not post personal criticism of other members.
Do not respond to personal criticism of yourself or other members.
This is the biggest problem on OzPolitic. Too many members are easily baited into off-topic personal exchanges.
If you participate in any kind of flame war you will be suspended, regardless of who started it or who you think ‘deserved it’."

I don't personally give a rat's arse about personal criticism, per se - do your best. But what I do find intolerable is the constant baiting and harassment with the use of gibberish and silly one-liners that follows so many of my posts as a means of deflecting attention to the pest himself as having arrived with the intention of shutting me down with a series of similar smartarse one-liners.

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #25 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 10:34am

« Last Edit: Dec 11th, 2017 at 12:13pm by Lord Herbert »  

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 10:36am

Correct.

Censorship being the ultimate goal, of course, as a precursor to setting up a State dictatorship.

"News Ltd was found guilty for publishing the racial vilification of Andrew Bolt".

Fake news.

He was prosecuted for giving false information that had nothing to do with race or colour.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 12:03pm

Lord Herbert wrote on Dec 11th, 2017 at 10:28am:
link

Re: Swearing & Racial Abuse
Reply #1 - Feb 1st, 2014 at 2:24pm Quote
perceptions_now wrote on Dec 19th, 2011 at 10:49am:

"In particular, please watch your F & C's and do not try avoiding the swear checker program!

I will change those that I pick up and if that doesn't seem to be working, then I will delete the post and if that still doesn't work, then you may get an enforced rest.

Cheers!"

I thought FD had since then decided to assume that the membership here is composed only of adults and that a moderate amount of the use of the 'f' word would be tolerated as it is any where else among a gathering of adults. For emphasis I sometimes find the word is phcuking indispensable.

"Do not post personal criticism of other members.
Do not respond to personal criticism of yourself or other members.
This is the biggest problem on OzPolitic. Too many members are easily baited into off-topic personal exchanges.
If you participate in any kind of flame war you will be suspended, regardless of who started it or who you think ‘deserved it’."

I don't personally give a rat's arse about personal criticism, per se - do your best. But what I do find intolerable is the constant baiting and harassment with the use of gibberish and silly one-liners that follows so many of my posts as a means of deflecting attention to the pest himself as having arrived with the intention of shutting me down with a series of similar smartarse one-liners.

It only works if people respond to it.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #28 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 12:10pm

bogarde73 wrote on Nov 30th, 2017 at 2:11pm:
Strict adherence to the Mothra Guidelines on Political Correctness, Toxic Masculinity, White Guilt, Obedience to Islam, inter alia, will ensure immunity from prosecution.
Or my name's not Linda Sarsour!

Grin Grin Grin

'You're Better than All the Rest', bogey!

IP Logged

Lord Herbert
Gold Member

Reply #29 - Dec 11th, 2017 at 12:42pm

freediver wrote on Dec 11th, 2017 at 12:03pm:
It only works if people respond to it.

Notice to moderators:- Persistent thread-trashers are to be tolerated, and their victims are to be deemed the guilty parties.

Why not just scrap all the rules and tell us to in future ignore any posts that might include offensive material?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 
Send Topic Print