Send Topic Print
Forum Policies (Read 168744 times)
oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Re: Forum Policies
Reply #60 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 4:17pm

freediver wrote on Mar 19th, 2008 at 3:38pm:
If someone PM's me and asks me to remove soemthing that is generally accepted I'm not going to bother removing it. It's a hassle and would lead to even more complaints about arbitrary moderation. Some people get (justifiably) upset about having their posts edited or deleted, especially if the rules are unclear. I want a 'blanket policy' so that I'm not always in that position - even if the policy is that they are acceptable.

I am also a big fan of social feedback - that is, community standards that aren't enforced as a rule. This is a good way to deal with issues like sexual references that are fine occasionally but can be a problem if a member goes overboard and uses them constantly. Of course, you need a sense of community for that to work.

maybe one poster could contact another and ask for offensive word to be removed?

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #61 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 4:21pm

Sure, that's always an option. I hope that people try that before contacting me about an issue.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

oceanz
Gold Member

Auzgurl..

Reply #62 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 4:28pm

freediver wrote on Mar 19th, 2008 at 4:21pm:
Sure, that's always an option. I hope that people try that before contacting me about an issue.

Would seem the commonsense thing to do.

&&Jade Rawlings on Cousins " He makes our team walk taller..a very good team man , Ben Cousins"

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #63 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 5:36pm

Quote:
I want a 'blanket policy' so that I'm not always in that position - even if the policy is that they are acceptable.

I have to agree with this as well.  Many forums have a list of what is acceptable behaviour and what isn't.  I'll have a look around at some of the policies on different sites and post them and FD can judge the feedback and make a decision if he wants to.  

If we have a hodge podge of individual assessments on what is acceptable and what isn't - it will create too much dissension.  

« Last Edit: Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:01pm by mantra »  

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #64 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:14pm

This is the policy on Appropriate Conduct from the Google forums - which seems fairly comprehensive.  It can be modified quite easily, but seems to cover it all.  It may sound a bit harsh for some - but it is something to work on.  

Appropriate Conduct

You agree that you are responsible for your own conduct and communications while using the Forum and for any consequences thereof. You agree to use the Service only to send and receive messages and material that are legal, proper and related to the particular Forum. By way of example, and not as a limitation, you agree that when using the Service, you will not:

defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others;

post any inappropriate, defamatory, infringing, obscene, or unlawful Content;

post any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, copyright, trade secret or other proprietary right of any party (the "Rights"),    unless you are the owner of the Rights or have the permission of the owner to Post such Content;

post messages that promote pyramid schemes, chain letters or disruptive commercial messages or advertisements, or anything else prohibited by the Group owner.

download any file Posted by another user of a Group that you know, or reasonably should know, that cannot be legally distributed in such manner;

impersonate another person or entity, or falsify or delete any author attributions, legal or other proper notices or proprietary designations or labels of the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is Posted;

restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Service;

use the Service for any illegal or unauthorized purpose;

remove any copyright, trademark or other proprietary rights notices contained in or on the Service;

interfere with or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, or disobey any requirements, procedures, policies or regulations of networks connected to the Service;

use any robot, spider, site search/retrieval application, or other device to retrieve or index any portion of the Service or collect information about users for any unauthorized purpose;

submit Content that falsely expresses or implies that such Content is sponsored or endorsed by Ozpolitics;

create user accounts by automated means or under false or fraudulent pretenses;

promote or provide instructional information about illegal activities or promote physical harm or injury against any group or individual; or

transmit any viruses, worms, defects, Trojan horses, or any items of a destructive nature.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #65 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:18pm

As with most large scale forums it is very broad and vague. It is basically open to the interpretation of whoever the mod is, as to what 'crosses the line'. Everything or nothing could be considered a violation. What I hope to do is be able to offer specific guidance on what is appropriate.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #66 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:24pm

That sounds OK - I misunderstood and thought you wanted to eliminate the hassle of posters complaining all the time.  But yes a more personalised set of standards is a good idea.  Do you agree with this:

Quote:
defame, abuse, harass, stalk, threaten or otherwise violate the legal rights (such as rights of privacy and publicity) of others; 

post any inappropriate, defamatory, infringing, obscene, or unlawful Content;

impersonate another person or entity, or falsify or delete any author attributions, legal or other proper notices or proprietary designations or labels of the origin or source of software or other material contained in a file that is Posted;

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #67 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:28pm

Defamation is part and parcel of political debate. Abuse, harass, stalk, inappropriate, infringing, obscene are very open to interpretation. I threaten members all the time. I support member's privacy well beyond their legal rights. No idea what the last bit of legal mumbo jumbo is about.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #68 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:34pm

Basically it's just saying that we can't use another poster's contribution in another forum (unless permitted by the poster) and we are not to alter (unless there's a violation) another person's post.  Which can be looked at two ways I suppose and no doubt DT will make a comment on this.

Yes but you're right FD - everything is open to interpretation.  Obviously some posters aren't happy with any specific regulations and that's fair enough.

If some posters believe it should be open slather and anything goes and this is accepted by the administrator - then it also has to be accepted that this will have a detrimental affect on the forum at the expense of new posters, guests and prospective advertisers.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #69 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:23am

It seems that leftards can't help themselves.  A thread has been locked by the forum dictator freediver.  Please overrule the moderator as you did before and re-open it.

IP Logged

Musician35
Ex Member

Reply #70 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 7:44am

Doesn't the Yabb forum come with its own terms of use template? I'll check.

Here we go. This is what you agree to on registration (FD may have modified this for this board - I'm not sure):

You agree, through your use of this YaBB forum, that you will not post any material which is false, defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually-oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of ANY law. You also agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have consent from the owner of the copyrighted material. Spam, flooding, advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are also inappropriate to this YaBB forum.

Note that it is impossible for us to confirm the validity of posts on this YaBB forum. Please remember that we do not actively monitor the posted messages and are not responsible for their content. We do not warrant the accuracy, completeness, or usefulness of any information presented. The messages express the views of the author, not necessarily the views of this YaBB forum. Anyone who feels that a posted message is objectionable is encouraged to notify an administrator of this forum immediately. We have the right to remove objectionable content, within a reasonable time frame, if we determine that removal is necessary. This is a manual process, however, so please realize that we may not be able to remove or edit particular messages immediately. This policy applies to member profile information as well.

You remain solely responsible for the content of your messages, and you agree to indemnify and hold harmless this forum, and any related websites to this forum. We at this YaBB forum also reserve the right to reveal your identity (or any information we have about you) in the event of a complaint or legal action arising from any information posted by you. You have the ability, as you register, to choose your username. We advise that you keep the name appropriate. With this user account you are about to register, you agree to never give your password to another member, for your protection and for validity reasons. You also agree to NEVER use another member's account to post messages or browse this forum.After you register and log into this YaBB forum, you can fill out a detailed profile. It is your responsibility to present clean and accurate information. Any information we deem inaccurate or vulgar will be removed.

Please note that with each post, your IP address is recorded, in the event that you need to be banned from this YaBB forum or your ISP contacted. This will only happen in the event of a major violation of this agreement.
« Last Edit: Mar 20th, 2008 at 7:52am by N/A »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #71 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 8:13am

Right. I have not bothered to modify that. I don't think it means anything seeing as no-one ever reads them. It may come in handy if we get sued, but that's about it.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #72 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 5:48pm

deepthought wrote on Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:23am:
It seems that leftards can't help themselves.  A thread has been locked by the forum dictator freediver.  Please overrule the moderator as you did before and re-open it.

Bump for freediver

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #73 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 5:51pm

That's a bit ambiguous DT. If you are referring to locked threads on the relationships board, my answer is no.

IP Logged

deepthought
Gold Member

In Defence Of Liberty

Reply #74 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:01pm

freediver wrote on Mar 20th, 2008 at 5:51pm:
That's a bit ambiguous DT. If you are referring to locked threads on the relationships board, my answer is no.

Why?  You said you acted on a request from a member and overruled the moderator of the time who had made a different ruling.

The other day I made this statement.

deepthought wrote on Mar 18th, 2008 at 6:08pm:
It depends on whether the standards are applied appropriately and with regard to fairness and equitability.   In this case (of which we speak) the moderation was applied to overrule the duly appointed moderator for a user run board - and you say the user run boards should be autonomous - and it was applied without any reference to any rule at all.  In other words it was applied arbitrarily because one member decided her opinion was superior to anyone else's and the administrator acted inequitably to silence other members.

It appears I am right about the arbitrary application of so called rules.  Am I not?

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11
Send Topic Print