Send Topic Print
Australian values? (Read 9790 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Australian values?
Feb 26th, 2007 at 2:30pm

Auusie values come up in politics fairly often, expecially with regard to immigration policy. But what are our national values? Do our politicians mean anything when they throw the term around, or are they just hoping people will assume the politicians mean whatever they are thinking of? This also came up in this other thread: http://ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1172321918

So, what are they, and what does each mean?

Some ideas:

freedom
democracy
mateship/being true to your mates
unity

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: Australian values?
Reply #1 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 9:04pm

Our values have changed during the past decade.  Moral and ethical values seem to be pushed to the back of our minds as our quest for financial reward takes over.  Where we used to be an easygoing nation - road rage, phone rage, bad service rage etc. has replaced it.

As disadvantaged and homeless people, child abuse. stress and depression increase alarmingly - a symptom of industrialisation, we no longer have time to listen to our children, love our neighbours or do a good deed for the day.

So instead of the ten commandments being the formula for our life's values, the seven deadly sins has become our mainstay.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 26th, 2007 at 9:15pm

Oh HERE HERE mantra, beautifully said. beautifully said. Smiley

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #3 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 12:34pm

Australia is a multicultural country that values tolerance. Those who foster intolerance are attacking Australian values. They often hide behind a facade of nationalism, but they really want to turn Australia into something which the majority of Australian people do not want. They draw a line around their own ideology and call that Australian, but most of the country is on the other side of that line.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 5:07pm

Quote:
Australia is a multicultural country that values tolerance. Those who foster intolerance are attacking Australian values. They often hide behind a facade of nationalism, but they really want to turn Australia into something which the majority of Australian people do not want. They draw a line around their own ideology and call that Australian, but most of the country is on the other side of that line.

Says who, freediver?  Huh

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 5:28pm

Says me, in the post above yours.

Any other questions?

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 5:54pm

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Mar 14th, 2007 at 5:07pm:
Says who, freediver?  Huh

Myself, freediver obviously, and a majority of Australians who continue to support tolerance and multiculturalism (integration if you must), including our own right wing government.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #7 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 6:23pm

Quote:
Myself, freediver obviously, and a majority of Australians who continue to support tolerance and multiculturalism (integration if you must), including our own right wing government.

'Majority.'  Grin

No matter how many times I hear that I can't help laughing.

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Reply #8 - Mar 14th, 2007 at 10:44pm

Where do you get your percent of the"majority"from Freediver??I would disagree with that statement you have made about what the majority think and ask you to supply proof and not just rhetoric

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #9 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 9:34am

Our political process to begin with. If there really was opposition to multiculturalism, the parties that oppose it would not be so insignificant. I'm sure there's plenty of polls out there too, but I don't see much point backing up what has been confirmed over many elections.

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #10 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 10:42am

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Mar 14th, 2007 at 6:23pm:
'Majority.'  Grin

No matter how many times I hear that I can't help laughing.

Well the polls (true polls, ie elections) disagree with you,as freediver has pointed out above this post.

For all its chest beating about 'citizenship' tests and 'integration' the Howard government continues to support immigration 100%. The political moves to appear 'tough' on immigration are nothing more than empty spin to get the extremist margins like yourself on their side. Sure the citizenship test may sound tough, but who does it apply to? Immigrants as a whole? I think you will find the answer is a resounding no.

IP Logged

auzgurl
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 3:47pm

Australia is a multicultural country that values tolerance. Those who foster intolerance are attacking Australian values. They often hide behind a facade of nationalism, but they really want to turn Australia into something which the majority of Australian people do not want. They draw a line around their own ideology and call that Australian, but most of the country is on the other side of that line."
------------------------------------
I agree with that Freediver esp the bit about those who foster intolerance attack Aust values..Which then makes these ppl less Australian than the people they are attacking, and in most cases foreigners and aborigines on here I notice,..well said freediver!!!

The intolerant  pple who say that though are under 25  Winkand lacking in experience I notice.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #12 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 12:02am

Quote:
Where do you get your percent of the"majority"from Freediver??I would disagree with that statement you have made about what the majority think and ask you to supply proof and not just rhetoric

BRAVO Aloof!

A bit of brains diplayed by someone at last! Cool

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

zoso
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #13 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 2:45pm

ex-member DonaldTrump wrote on Mar 16th, 2007 at 12:02am:
BRAVO Aloof!

A bit of brains diplayed by someone at last! Cool

And what about the elections?

Rest assured if there was meaningful political capital to be had from reenacting the white Australia policy it would have been done by now. Therefore you can quite safely assume that a majority of Australians support immigration and by extension, multiculturalism... as shown by the polls on polling day.

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #14 - Mar 16th, 2007 at 2:57pm

Quote:
And what about the elections?

What about em?'

Quote:
Rest assured if there was meaningful political capital to be had from reenacting the white Australia policy it would have been done by now.

Who said anything about re-enacting the white Australia policy?  Huh

Quote:
Therefore you can quite safely assume that a majority of Australians support immigration and by extension, multiculturalism... as shown by the polls on polling day.

Give me a break.  Roll Eyes

That's no indication that Australians support multiculturalism or immigration... it merely tells me that there isn't a party who's setting up this policy...

In fact, I think the bulk of the Liberals support comes from the fact that John Howard (A liar a might add) seemed to be more pro-Australia and anti-immigration (We see this with the Nauru affair). This of course, by the stats we now have, isn't true at all. And it's no indication that Australians have a love for immigration nor multiculturalism... in fact... I think it's the opposite.

In fact... let me take you back to 1996 when the One Nation Party came about...

The One Nation Party actually captured a large chunk of the vote... and this is despite a barrage of bad press from the media... with every attempt to defame her in every way... ('Please explain' ring a bell?)

Quote:
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print