Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Poll Poll
Question: Abortion - should it be legal?

Yes    
  16 (64.0%)
No    
  5 (20.0%)
Maybe - it depends on the circumstances    
  4 (16.0%)

Total votes: 25
« Created by: spacscilib on: Feb 24th, 2007 at 12:58pm »

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
ABORTION - should it be legal? (Read 6508 times)
spacscilib

OzPolitic

ABORTION - should it be legal?
Feb 24th, 2007 at 12:58pm

Time to see who mixes their religion with their politics.... please answer the survey and provide a reason to justify your answer.

My answer is: yes, as I follow the 'vioinist's argument' of Judith Thomson - that is, that that the developing fetus  only continues to be sustained at the grace of the mother. Reference here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Defense_of_Abortion

Some may say that this is not relevant - but already we have seen stem-cell research legislation debated in our parliaments recently - and the arguments are partly the same.

« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2007 at 8:06pm by ozadmin »  

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Re: Abortion - should it be legal?
Reply #1 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 1:36pm

I havent got a religious bone in my body, i voted depends.
Do we still have orphanages?
Hey, we could bring them up as super soldiers! Wink Grin

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 3:03pm

Yes, though obviously only up to a certain age.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 3:13pm

Thats right FD. Say for example its a 16 year old then yes the pregnancy should be aborted by law.
That 16 year old is still a child in the mind. cant possibly look after a child PROPERLY.
But what about adoption? Questioning

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 3:48pm

I meant the fetus age.

Do you mean that 16yo's should be forced to have an abortion?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #5 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 4:43pm

There are many desperate people in Australia who would like to adopt a child and if the new Catholic advisory agency on abortion follows the Catholic doctrine, we may find more women keeping their babies to full term.

This is going to be a dilemna for many women - if they have an abortion they feel guilt, if they give the baby away, they will feel guilt.  We have too many unwanted children in Australia as it is, with an alarming increase in child abuse over the past decade.

Unfortunately, there is only one solution to this problem -  abstinence.  So many people don't even make a serious attempt at contraception - so it's either safe or  sorry.  Perhaps this is the message that needs more promotion.  In fact if they bring back those Grim Reaper adds, it may save a few young women from having to make miserable decisions.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #6 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 5:14pm

Yep fd, 18 should be the minimum age to have children.
Yes you are correct. when the child in the womb reaches a certain age, abortion should not be allowed, such as when its nervous system has developed.

IP Logged

sense(Guest)

Reply #7 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 5:44pm

Yes - under any circumstances. If I were a woman I would regard it as no one else's business but mine regardless of the age of the fetus. Of course I might be dependent on the services of a technician but plenty of women have managed it on their own I believe. Seems weird that there could be a law against it.

IP Logged

Stu

I Love YaBB 2!

Reply #8 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 7:12pm

well said sense
this subject is not for government policy
This is the subject for those involved nobody else

This is a personal choice not government choice

www.tapp.org.au

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #9 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 10:27pm

If a woman of relitively mature age keeps the (unwanted) baby, no worries, my argument is about ''kids'' havin Kids. i think its wrong for the child.
Generally, those that have kids at such a young age are hardly capable of raising a child,;
They are drug addicts , or , kicked out of home (immaturity) , fell into mistake (bfriend who fks off)- (he himself was probably a kid.)  or mentally unstable.

IP Logged

aloof boof

the roving ear

outback
Reply #10 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 10:49pm

Yes and it should have been legal years ago.
It is not for the government to decide what age or circumstance but the person directly involved(mother) not father.Kids having kids does not sit well with me either because sometimes the grandparents end up looking after the kid instead of the parents

constantly surrounded by mt beer cans

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #11 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 10:52pm

Do you like paying for other peoples mistakes?

IP Logged

ex-member DonaldTrump
Gold Member

Oh mere mortals, open
your eyes!

Overseas
Reply #12 - Feb 24th, 2007 at 11:54pm

I put 'maybe.' -Although I'm 'slightly' spiritual, it had no impact on what I selected.

My main concern is the impact abortions are having on the declining birthrate. Australia needs more people! (No... I don't think immigration is the best option).

My only concern is...
A)Pregnancy from rapes.
B) Inexperienced underage kids foolishly doing something stupid.

Other than that, I think you should suffer the consequences.

Anyhow, I don't think abortion is a big deal. Politicians should decline talking about this issue and be more focussed on making life more liveable for Australians so they actually WANT kids.

Quote:
Tolerance is the virtue of men who no longer believe in anything
&&-- G.K. Chesterton

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
ABORTION: 'strings attached' to foreign aid
Reply #13 - May 16th, 2007 at 5:46pm

End abortion ban on aid spending: Greens

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/End-abortion-ban-on-aid-spending-Greens/2007/05/16/1178995224277.html

The Australian Greens have called on the government to lift a ban that prohibits aid money being used to provide information on abortion.

The call comes in light of The State of the World's Girls report by aid organisation Plan International, released on Wednesday.

The report showed that restricting women's access to abortion services in developing countries was resulting in high levels of morbidity.

Under current guidelines, Australian aid money is banned from funding any organisation that provides advice to women about abortion.

"Between 13 and 25 per cent of maternal deaths globally are caused by unsafe abortions."

Senator Nettle said a recent article published in The Lancet, a prestigious medical journal, had labelled unsafe abortion a "preventable pandemic" which kills around 63,000 women and girls a year.

Australia and the United States are the only two countries that ban aid money being used to provide information about abortion.

If it's good enough for Australian women, why deny access to poor women?

I think that religious groups in the US currently prevent aid money being spent on condoms and family planning, even in countries where aids is rife.

AIDS fight blocked by religion: Kirby

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/aids-fight-blocked-by-religion-kirby/2007/05/17/1178995317058.html

Religion is hindering United Nations efforts to spread the messages needed to combat the spread of AIDS, human rights activist and High Court judge Michael Kirby said on Thursday.

Australia, under successive governments, had been far more successful in its approach to the disease, he said.

Justice Kirby was launching a new book, Civil Society, Religion and Global Governance, which includes contributions by a range of international and Australian political, legal, economic and religious figures on the role of civil society.

Abortion aid policy repugnant: Libs MP

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Abortion-aid-policy-repugnant-Libs-MP/2007/05/30/1180205287376.html

The federal government's aid policy on abortion is repugnant and an insult to women, Liberal backbencher Mal Washer says.

Dr Washer is leading a group of 50 politicians from all parties who want the government to allow Australian aid to be spent on abortion advice.

The government banned abortion advice more than 10 years ago to please former Independent senator Brian Harradine when he held the balance of power.

"What is even more ridiculous or more repugnant is that we're saying in these guidelines that if you go and have an illegal abortion where there is a 13 per cent chance of death on average and you happen to survive, we're happy to give you counselling.

Parliament debates pregnancy counselling

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/parliament-debates-pregnancy-counselling/2007/06/14/1181414456221.html

A woman who sought counselling after having an abortion was told by the counsellor to name her baby which would not have a place in heaven, the Senate heard.

The startling claims were made by Australian Greens senator Kerry Nettle during parliamentary debate on the Pregnancy Counselling (Truth in Advertising) Bill.

The private member's bill, introduced to parliament by Australian Democrats senator Natasha Stott Despoja, aims to cut off government funding to pregnancy counsellors who engage in misleading or deceptive advertising and impose fines for such conduct.

US abortion foes push for ultrasound law

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/US-abortion-foes-push-for-ultrasound-law/2007/06/17/1182018920759.html

A national anti-abortion group is pushing legislation in US states aimed at making sure pregnant women and girls view sonograms before having abortions, hoping that what they see will persuade them against having the procedure.

Such proposals have gained little attention so far from legislators in Kansas or Missouri.

But the National Right to Life Committee says 11 states have enacted laws requiring abortion providers to tell patients they have the right to see an ultrasound image of the embryo or foetus they are carrying.

US Senate clears foreign abortions aid

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/US-Senate-clears-foreign-abortions-aid/2007/06/29/1182624124336.html

A US Senate committee has joined the House of Representatives in defying a White House veto threat, moving to reverse a ban on contraception aid to overseas groups that offer abortion.

The Senate Appropriations Committee included the proposal in a $US34.24 billion ($A40.5 billion) foreign aid bill that also places new emphasis on fighting diseases such as HIV/AIDS.
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2007 at 11:35am by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
US abstinence programs fail in HIV war
Reply #14 - Aug 5th, 2007 at 6:46pm

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22186176-26397,00.html

PARIS: Programs to encourage sexual abstinence, which American conservatives see as a keystone of efforts to prevent HIV infection, fail just as much in the US as they do in developing countries.

Researchers reporting in today's British Medical Journal say an overview of 13 published investigations into abstinence programs, conducted among nearly 16,000 US youths, found no evidence the schemes work.

The study covered research into the performance of so-called "abstinence-only" programs -- schemes that encourage teenagers to delay their sexual debut and not have multiple partners after they begin sexual activity. There is no promotion of condoms or other methods of safer sex or contraception.

A third of funds allocated for HIV prevention under US President George W.Bush's campaign to fight AIDS in Africa and the Caribbean is used for abstinence-only programs.

And the US House of Representatives has approved funding of $US141 million ($165million) for Community-Based Abstinence Education to US youth next year. CBAE programs encourage abstinence from sexual activity outside marriage and describe it as the only certain way to avoid unwanted pregnancies and sexually transmitted diseases.

But the paper, by a trio of researchers at the University of Oxford's Centre for Evidence-Based Intervention, found: "No (abstinence-only) program affected the incidence of unprotected vaginal sex, number of partners, condom use or sexual initiation."

The study's authors say the clear picture is that abstinence-only programs in the US have made no headway on reducing HIV risk compared with safe-sex programs or no programs at all.

Abstinence programs incense many AIDS campaigners, who contend that these initiatives do not work, are often driven by political or religious agendas and drain money from more effective prevention schemes.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print