Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
light bulbs to be banned by 2009 (Read 4879 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
light bulbs to be banned by 2009
Feb 20th, 2007 at 10:29am

I bought some of these other ones once before. They were pretty expensive, so I got the cheapest ones there. They broke shortly after installation. Does anyone have any idea what timespan "over time" means?

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Standard-light-bulbs-to-go-by-2009/2007/02/20/1171733719014.html

The humble incandescent light bulb is about to become history as Australia dumps it in favour of more energy efficient technology.

Federal Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull says the standard incandescent light bulb, which has been around for 125 years, will be phased out by 2009.

It will be replaced by the compact fluorescent bulb which costs $5 more, but saves an average of $30 a year, and is around 80 per cent more energy efficient.

Mr Turnbull said new government standards will be in place by 2009.

Mr Turnbull said the plan was expected to save up to two million tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions in Australia over time and, if introduced globally, could have an enormous impact.

Low efficiency halogen lights will also be phased out but the more efficient ones will remain.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Stu

I Love YaBB 2!

Re: light bulbs to be banned by 2009
Reply #1 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 11:31am

This will be interesting, especially from someone for hih

So which company one of his.

lets look closer at power stations.

This is a add hoc approach just for the people.

There are better ways

voice your ideas as well

www.tapp.org.au

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 12:59pm

I'd better stock up then! cant stand fluorescent lights. too little light given off.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

spacscilib

OzPolitic

Reply #3 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 6:50pm

This is what is known in the electricity industry as Demand Side Abatement. Basically, you get someone to use less and that reduction is then sold to customers as 'green power'. Those free compact fluoro light bulb offers - they all feed into these schemes. Welcome to our energy-rich future where we do more with less.

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #4 - Feb 20th, 2007 at 7:13pm

Controversy has already begun about the new bulbs.  There have been some complaints about interference with electronic equipment when the lights are on - something to do with the oscillator in the bulb.

Objections have also been made about the stark fluorescent light which can't be dimmed - and isn't  suitable to a lot of people.

I use them, but only for the fact I received 3 packets free with a green electricity promotion and so far have found them long lasting and the fluorescent light is fairly soft.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Australia's bulb action lightens up UK
Reply #5 - Feb 23rd, 2007 at 9:44am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Australias-bulb-action-lightens-up-UK/2007/02/22/1171733956451.html

Australia's move to phase out standard light bulbs has prompted UK campaigners to ask: why can't Britain do the same?

The Guardian newspaper's Leo Hickman pointed out the decision to ban incandescent light bulbs, announced by Australian Environment Minister Malcolm Turnbull this week, was taken in a country that refuses to sign the Kyoto protocol enforcing targets for reduced greenhouse gas emissions.

"Isn't it rather embarrassing that a country as ungreen as Australia is showing up Britain?" he asked.

LEDs may light up the future

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/LEDs-may-light-up-the-future/2007/05/13/1178994975697.html

The light bulb, the symbol of bright ideas, does not look like such a great idea anymore.

MPs in Australia and overseas are talking about phasing out the century-old technology because of its contribution to global warming.

But what comes next?

Compact fluorescent bulbs are the only real alternative right now, but "bulbs" that use light-emitting diodes, or LEDs, are quickly emerging as a challenger.

LEDs, which are small chips usually encased in a glass dome the size of a matchstick head, have been in use in electronics for decades to indicate, for example, whether a VCR is on or off.

Those LEDs were usually red or green, but a scientific breakthrough in the 1990s paved the way for the production of LEDs that produce white light.

Because they use less power than standard incandescent bulbs, white LEDs have become common in flashlights.

Established players in the lighting industry and a host of startups are now grooming LEDs to take on the reigning champion of residential lighting, the familiar pear-shaped incandescent light bulb.

Australia wants incandescent bulbs phased out by 2010.

California and Canada have decided to outlaw them by 2012.

Governments are gunning for the light bulb because it is much less efficient than fluorescents, using about five times more energy to produce the same amount of light.

Lighting consumes 22 per cent of electricity produced in the US, according to the Department of Energy, and widespread use of LED lighting could cut consumption in half.

Much of that reduction would be possible with today's technology, using compact fluorescents, or CFLs. But consumers have not warmed to them.

The light quality has not been satisfactory, most take time to turn on and are not dimmable.

The LED has advantages over the CFL in most of those areas, and judging by this week's Lightfair trade show in New York, it could be a serious challenge to the CFL in a few years. What holds it back is chiefly price, but LEDs are already an economic alternative for niche uses.

In particular, LEDs that produce a yellowish or "warm" light similar to incandescents have improved.

The energy efficiency is no doubt a draw for commercial clients like hotels, but LEDs have another big advantage: they last up to 50,000 hours, according to manufacturers.

That compares to about 10,000 hours for fluorescents and 1,000 hours for incandescents.

Not having to send out janitors to replace burned-out bulbs means big savings in maintenance costs.
« Last Edit: May 13th, 2007 at 9:12pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #6 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 2:39am

YOU ARE WRONG FREEDIVER
They still make Light-Bulbs (Just ask It_is_the_Light).

You must go to Gaol.
Do not pass Go.
Do not Collect $200

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 9:35am

Really? ... gone trolling back to a 2007 post?

WTF for?

Is that all you have to do?

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

cods
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 9:39am

hes howling at the moon again.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #9 - Feb 2nd, 2019 at 9:58am

cods wrote on Feb 2nd, 2019 at 9:39am:
hes howling at the moon again.

COMMUNITY CHEST:
You win a beauty Pageant - collect $100 prize money

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print