Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Could a state become a country? (Read 9290 times)
greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Re: Could a state become a country?
Reply #15 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:20pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:17pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:14pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:07pm:
greggerypeccary wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:03pm:
Mr Hammer wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
It's funny WA would want to secede because it's probably the most vulnerable state in the country. It's mostly desert. A really bad drought and it will be asking for help.

If we did it back in 1933, we'd be rolling in cash right now.

Your state is never far off running out of water. All the cash in the world won't buy you rainfall. If WA seceded I'm sure it would receive less assistance. All the other things it gets from the eastern states which isn't iron ore and wheat.

If we seceded back in 1933, we'd have the Kimberley Pipeline in place now.

We'd have so much water, we'd be bathing in it!

I thought you'd be against running a pipeline through aboriginal lands?

Nope.

The Kimberley Pipeline concept came from an aboriginal man.

IP Logged

Mr Hammer
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #16 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:37pm

Ask Gina for some billions and get it done now. Having a family dynasty controlling a major slice of your states number 1 resource it what's holding you back Pecca.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #17 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:40pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 3:37pm:
Ask Gina for some billions and get it done now. Having a family dynasty controlling a major slice of your states number 1 resource it what's holding you back Pecca.

She wants to do it.

Only to her cattle station, though.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #18 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 4:05pm

We are heading into a Lithium boom, still time for us to escape.

Even tho there is some kind of repair done on the GST, the feds will find another way to dud WA.

IP Logged

Bias_2012
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #19 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 4:43pm

The way we're going the United Nations will have the final say on what happens within Australia

The Libs and Labs have two agendas, one to obey the UN and Brussels, the other is to pretend we still have national sovereignty
« Last Edit: Nov 14th, 2018 at 11:41pm by Bias_2012 »  

Our Lives Are Governed By The Feast & Famine Variable

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #20 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 5:40pm

Obviously there are Provincials (regionals) who have more of something than others and less of something than others.
The Riverina has a lot of food production over other areas - that would be its main income, for example.
Trade between all the Provincials would create a jobs boom like nothing the Federal level of Politics has been able to provide.
Of course, the International community would hate to see Australia 'self sufficient' and have a booming self-sufficient population growth to go with it.

How nice would it be to live in a Provincial area where the majority of your Provincial earnings go back into your area and not siphoned out to the Federal level and sent overseas to fund Indonesia and other 'draining' nations.

Hang the Parliament, next Election.
Vote for more Independents (reflection of Provincials becoming independent).
Dis-empower the position of PM which serves the interests of the USA anyway.
Dis-empower the position of G-G which serves the interests of the UK anyway.
Both positions of PM & G-G are 'self-destructing' anyway...

...who knows, maybe the whole 'show' at Federal level is self-destructing anyway and it won't be a matter of choice for Provincials to go independent - more a matter of survival.  Huh

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Secret Wars
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #21 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 6:40pm

miketrees wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 4:05pm:
We are heading into a Lithium boom, still time for us to escape.

Even tho there is some kind of repair done on the GST, the feds will find another way to dud WA.

Historically it has taken more than it generates.  I posted about it once when arguing with Hot Breath, and couldn't be arsed doing the research again. Sure someone can find it.

Add to that the expenditure of full nationhood status including care and custody of all the aboriginals ...

IP Logged

Auggie
Gold Member

The Bull Moose

Reply #22 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 8:34pm

A State could easily become a country if the will existed.

Regarding John Howard's comments, I don't believe that no States is what people would want. I certainly don't my State abolished; I have pride in my State and its history.

There are clear advantages to Federalism. The question is about who should have what powers and over what? I think the Commonwealth has overreached in some areas, whereas in others its expansion has been justified due to changing circumstances.

I don't think the NT should become a State in spite of what people want. There's a reason why territories exist - so that the Federal/centralized government has absolute control over a specific part of the country, which can be quite useful in certain cases. In our case, the NT is uniquely located and having the Federal Government control it is extremely useful. I don't even belief the NT should have its own government - it should be directly administered by the Commonwealth as should ACT.

The Progressive President

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #23 - Nov 14th, 2018 at 11:28pm

Clover Moore kick started her little inner-city 'independent'. All her people loved it, the surrounding ALP/LNP areas hated it.

Lake Macquarie also ran its own show for a while and didn't have to bow down to water restrictions like the rest of the state.

Vatican City, Leichtenstein, Andorra, Monaco - all viable 'small' independents.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #24 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 11:24am

IP Logged

miketrees
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #25 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 11:26am

Historically it has taken more than it generates.  I posted about it once when arguing with Hot Breath, and couldn't be arsed doing the research again. Sure someone can find it.

Yeah,,, nah those arguments never factored in the industry protection tariffs for the inefficient industries on the east and south coast

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #26 - Nov 15th, 2018 at 8:18pm

Ahh yes - I forgot about the Principality of Jabba the HUTT.
Quite a little success story.

All it takes is just one Provincial area to go fully Independent of a State and the domino effect kicks in.

Riverina almost did a long time ago via the Water Barons.

I'm pretty sure though, that the Continent of Australia will fracture into many independent Provincial Nations and be ruled by something akin to what the EU is.

IP Logged

Royal Cole

Australian Politics

Reply #27 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 12:04pm

With Chinese money and support, WA could become a sovereign nation.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #28 - Mar 30th, 2019 at 12:08pm

Mr Hammer wrote on Nov 14th, 2018 at 2:26pm:
It's funny WA would want to secede because it's probably the most vulnerable state in the country. It's mostly desert. A really bad drought and it will be asking for help.

What's wrong with asking for help?

That's what foreign aid is for, Homo.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print