Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print
Why we should allow whaling (Read 157224 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: Why we should allow whaling
Reply #270 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 7:37pm

Darwin wrote on Nov 8th, 2009 at 10:08am:
Do you know HM of the whale ends up in the garbage, FD? Jap whaling is more an act of Jap govt policy than a demand driven hunt.

I suppose they should all end up in the trash, given the IWC rules. Fortunately the Japs are not so wasteful with a precious resource. It would add a whole new spin on the old prawn head run.

Actually, most biologists I know don't mind eating most of their subjects when the opportunity arises.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #271 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 7:39pm

pjb05 wrote on Nov 8th, 2009 at 11:14am:
freediver wrote on Oct 28th, 2009 at 9:41pm:
[quote]
There are many species of fish becoming endangered too. That is no good reason to put fish off the menu. It's like calling for a ban on chicken meat because the purple spotted guinea fowl is endangered. It is an appeal to ignorance, nothing more.

Plenty of greenies (and animal libbers) want to ban fishing, FD. You have been endlessly promoting their chosen method of achieving that.

Only the animal libbers want to ban fishing. Some pay lip service to the environment, but it never lasts long.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #272 - Nov 22nd, 2009 at 7:46pm

[quote author=freediver link=1168478179/270#271 date=1258882758
Only the animal libbers want to ban fishing. Some pay lip service to the environment, but it never lasts long. [/quote]

The green preservationists want to ban it also FD (in as much area as possible) and they are quite open about it.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #273 - Jun 22nd, 2010 at 6:58pm

pirate boat damaged in collision with whalers

http://www.ozpolitic.com/forum/YaBB.pl?num=1262866235

Secrecy of talks on whaling compromise condemned

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science_and_environment/10362015.stm

The annual meeting of the International Whaling Commission (IWC) has opened with attention focussing on a deal that could regulate whaling for 10 years.

The opening session was swiftly adjourned so that delegates could begin a day and a half of private talks.

Some observers condemned the secrecy, one commenting that recent UN talks on North Korea's nuclear programme were held in public - so why not on whaling?

Conservation groups are split on the merits of pursuing a deal.

Some argue for maintaining a hard line against all whaling, while others believe agreement could improve the current picture, where Iceland, Japan and Norway set their own quotas and run their hunts without international oversight.

Anthony Liverpool, the IWC commissioner for Antigua and Barbuda, chaired the brief opening session, and warned of hard work ahead.

"Since [the 2008 meeting in] Anchorage, we've held around 10 intersessional meetings... this illustrates how serious we are at finding a solution to the problems we face in order that the IWC can become as relevant as possible," he said.

"I do not know if we shall succeed - but I have hope."

Japan's IWC commissioner Akira Nakamae said his country would "like to respect this great effort for the future of the IWC".

Progress hopes

Japan was one of a core group of six nations that has worked intensively on the "peace proposal" since the Anchorage meeting.

Two months ago, the IWC chairman - Chilean diplomat Cristian Maquieira, who is not here, officially because of health reasons - released a draft proposal that was based on discussions held over the two years.

Under the proposal, annual quotas for Japan's Antarctic hunt would diminish from 935 minke whales now, initially to 400 and then to 200 in 2015.

Japan says these numbers are too low - but conservation groups and anti-whaling countries want to bring them down further.

They are also demanding that whalemeat must be restricted to domestic use only, with no international trade permitted.

"We really hope that the commissioners of the IWC make the progress they really need to on the deal," said Sarah Duthie, head of the oceans campaign with Greenpeace International.

"The proposal as it stands is simply not acceptable, and we need them to work hard over the coming days to to make sure that they turn it into a deal that works for whales rather than whalers," she told BBC News.

However, other environment groups are taking a less nuanced position, arguing that the 1986 global moratorium on commercial whaling must be upheld, and that conservation groups should simply be fighting to end whaling by Iceland, Japan and Norway rather than talking about any deal.

"It would legitimise commercial whaling, and it would legitimise it for 10 years, rewarding bad behaviour by countries that did not abide by the moratorium," said Andy Ottaway, director of the UK-based group Campaign Whale.

"This deal wouldn't just open the door to commercial whaling, it would kick it wide open, because South Korea has said it wants a slice of the action, and there are whaling sleeping giants out there waiting to re-start."

South Korea - whose fishing boats routinely snare small whales and where whalemeat is available in restaurants - wants the compromise document to include a measure that would grant quotas to countries where "substantial indirect catches have been identified and used as traditional food for cultural and indigenous needs".

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #274 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 3:57am

Hello folks!!

Nineteen pages is a bit too much to go through at once so I don't know if anyone has suggested this before.

But . . . couldn't we capture all the whales ourselves and then sell them to the Japanese? That way, we could control the price at which the whales will be sold. If Japanese demand is really high, it would also mean that we could set the sale price of these whales really high. How badly do the Japanese want these whales? If they want them so badly, they should buy them from us.

This would be of great benefit to the Australian economy. In the same way that our economy benefits greatly from the sale of minerals to China, it could benefit greatly from the sale of whales to Japan. You could call it the "Australian Whaling Boom."

If the Japanese can't afford to buy the whales from us, then it means that they won't be able to eat them. Do you think this would work?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #275 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 3:02pm

Quote:
But . . . couldn't we capture all the whales ourselves and then sell them to the Japanese?

I think it would be wiser to leave some for next year.

Quote:
If the Japanese can't afford to buy the whales from us, then it means that they won't be able to eat them. Do you think this would work?

Sure, if your goal is to slaughter every last whale and leave it rotting on the docks. If the yanks did it to the Indians, why not do it to the Japs?

IP Logged

Mnemonic
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #276 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 7:54pm

freediver wrote on Jun 27th, 2010 at 3:02pm:
I think it would be wiser to leave some for next year.

Sure, if your goal is to slaughter every last whale and leave it rotting on the docks. If the yanks did it to the Indians, why not do it to the Japs?

I don't know much about America's history of how it treated its natives. The idea was to round the whales up like herds of sheep, put them in a sanctuary and not kill them. If maintaining sanctuary is too costly, then you could have a ship follow and track them. When Japanese whaling ships enter the area, they will be quickly recaptured and taken back home or relocated.

The whales will be kept alive while in captivity. If the Japanese want the whales they have to buy it from Australian suppliers. Prices will be set really high so that the Japanese can't afford to purchase as many whales as they could hunt. When they do buy them, they will be buying live whales. The whales will be transferred live to their ships. Each sale will basically mean death to another whale.

Basically, the whales could be sold as a commodity, like oil in the Middle East. If Australia can control the whales in its vicinity, it can control the "whale market" and can set high prices for acquiring them. The important thing is that you can say "no" to a sale. You own the resource so you can decide what to do with it. You can tell the Japanese that they have to pay $1 million per whale instead of say, $10,000. Eventually, whale acquisition operations in the seas and oceans surrounding Australia becomes so expensive that the Japanese will have to go elsewhere to look for them.

The high cost of acquiring whales may also force the Japanese whaling industry to scale down and shrink. This would be a market-oriented solution to whaling.

Another possible strategy is to relocate all the whales to a specially chosen part of the ocean so that the Japanese think there aren't any left.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #277 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 10:03pm

Quote:
I don't know much about America's history of how it treated its natives.

I was referring to the 'great crime against nature' - slaughtering the Bison to starve out the natives. They nearly sent American Bison extinct.
Quote:
The idea was to round the whales up like herds of sheep, put them in a sanctuary and not kill them.

The Japs do that with dolphins. Well, almost. There are some very interesting videos of it online.

Quote:
If maintaining sanctuary is too costly

Yes, whales are migratory.

Quote:
then you could have a ship follow and track them

Like Sea Shepherd?

Quote:
When Japanese whaling ships enter the area, they will be quickly recaptured and taken back home or relocated.

You're a hippy aren't you?

Quote:
Prices will be set really high so that the Japanese can't afford to purchase as many whales as they could hunt.

We could probably make more money with a more reasonable price. Plus, I want to buy some.

Quote:
Basically, the whales could be sold as a commodity, like oil in the Middle East.

They used to be sold by Australia as a commodity - for their oil.

Quote:
If Australia can control the whales in its vicinity, it can control the "whale market" and can set high prices for acquiring them.

So we could become pirates?

Quote:
Eventually, whale acquisition operations in the seas and oceans surrounding Australia becomes so expensive that the Japanese will have to go elsewhere to look for them.

Like, wait till they leave our waters, as per their current practice?

Quote:
The high cost of acquiring whales may also force the Japanese whaling industry to scale down and shrink.

You mean like, less than one boat?
Quote:
Another possible strategy is to relocate all the whales to a specially chosen part of the ocean so that the Japanese think there aren't any left.

Now I know you are a hippy.

IP Logged

It_is_the_Darkness
Gold Member

Australian Politics

in a ReTardis
Reply #278 - Oct 30th, 2010 at 8:57pm

Nah, I look like a Hippy, but I'm thinking more along the lines of a Feral.
Big difference like there is between a Confederate and a Yank.

I dissagree with your Bison remark. The Indians had wiped out 75% of Bison herds before white men even scraped the barrel ...just like the Aboriginals wiped out the Mega-Fauna and the Maori knocked off the Haast Eagles and Moa.
This is why I dissagree with TRADITIONAL rights. Its baloney! Besides the fact they hardly ever hunt them in 'traditional' methods, a lot of 'everyone' else aren't allowed to use 'traditional' excuses.
If this was the case, then I would claim 'tradition' since the Great Depression for going out an SpearFishing whatever I liked ...just like the good old days.
Also, most Canadian Indians use 'traditional rights' to sell to the Nipponese anyway.

You don't need to be a hippy (pot head) or a Feral  to know that without the intervention to stop whales, they would have been wiped out.
I still think they will be wiped out - I don't think Australia has much balls, brains and guts to make a difference in the world ...it will just follow the chain of events set out previously by other 'overpopulated' nations.

SUCKING ON MY TITTIES, LIKE I KNOW YOU WANT TO.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #279 - Nov 6th, 2010 at 8:14am

Off-Topic replies have been moved to this Topic.

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #280 - Sep 3rd, 2020 at 7:33pm

Kill a species to extinction.
We kill another part of our collective mind - Gaea.
How many animals have inspired Man to great heights?
Many, like a bird to Americans.

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #281 - Sep 3rd, 2020 at 8:17pm

Was the colonel inspired by a chicken?

IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Reply #282 - Sep 20th, 2020 at 5:37pm

freediver wrote on Sep 3rd, 2020 at 8:17pm:
Was the colonel inspired by a chicken?

He was indeed!

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Jovial Monk
Gold Member

Dogs not cats!

Reply #283 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 9:29am

Japanese cold storages are full of whale meat, it is not liked by most Japanese. Leave the whales be.

Get the vaxx! 💉💉

If you don’t like abortions ignore them like you do school shootings.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #284 - Oct 5th, 2020 at 9:57am

Jovial Monk wrote on Oct 5th, 2020 at 9:29am:
Japanese cold storages are full of whale meat, it is not liked by most Japanese. Leave the whales be.

We should import some.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 19 20 21 
Send Topic Print