Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21
Send Topic Print
Why we should allow whaling (Read 156179 times)
NorthOfNorth
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Re: Why we should allow whaling
Reply #255 - Jul 25th, 2009 at 9:34pm

freediver wrote on Jul 25th, 2009 at 9:30pm:
They are fat, smelly, covered in ugly growths and cannot even jump all the way out of the water.

But enough of your family... Back to the whales..  Grin

Conviction is the art of being certain

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #256 - Jul 26th, 2009 at 9:16pm

Do whales smell like fish or like mammals?

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

merou

Less Tolerance, More Shooting

Pilbara WA
Reply #257 - Jul 28th, 2009 at 5:32pm

the only time I have smelled a whale is dead on the beach.......I once watched a tourist (drunk) wanting to take photos, due to the evening son he could only get a silhouette shot so he decided to go to the other side, upwind. I warned him, it had been averaging 32c over the 5 days the carcass had been there. I wish I had a video camera when he was doubled over throwing his lunch up on the beach.

Shoot the scum and let God sort em out.

IP Logged

tallowood
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #258 - Jul 29th, 2009 at 8:55pm

Whales rotten on a beach used to be the main source of ambergris.

Quote:
Now this ambergris is a very curious substance, and so important as an article of commerce, that in 1791 a certain Nantucket-born Captain Coffin was examined at the bar of the English House of Commons on that subject. For at that time, and indeed until a comparatively late day, the precise origin of ambergris remained, like amber itself, a problem to the learned. Though the word ambergris is but the French compound for grey amber, yet the two substances are quite distinct. For amber, though at times found on the sea-coast, is also dug up in some far inland soils, whereas ambergris is never found except upon the sea. Besides, amber is a hard, transparent, brittle, odorless substance, used for mouth-pieces to pipes, for beads and ornaments; but ambergris is soft, waxy, and so highly fragrant and spicy, that it is largely used in perfumery, in pastiles, precious candles, hair-powders, and pomatum. The Turks use it in cooking, and also carry it to Mecca, for the same purpose that frankincense is carried to St. Peter's in Rome. Some wine merchants drop a few grains into claret, to flavor it.

Who would think, then, that such fine ladies and gentlemen should regale themselves with an essence found in the inglorious bowels of a sick whale! Yet so it is. By some, ambergris is supposed to be the cause, and by others the effect, of the dyspepsia in the whale. How to cure such a dyspepsia it were hard to say, unless by administering three or four boat loads of Brandreth's pills, and then running out of harm's way, as laborers do in blasting rocks.
(c)  Herman Melville, Moby-Dick Chapter 92

Reality is a figment of imagination

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
New rules for safe shipping may save whales
Reply #259 - Aug 10th, 2009 at 8:55pm

I wonder if these rules were designed with whaling in mind?

I'm not sure it is the blow they make it out to be. They would just sell it and buy something else.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/whale-watch/new-rules-for-safe-shipping-may-save-whales-20090717-do9b.html

THE world's only factory whaling ship may be driven from the Antarctic by tighter regulations.

The Nisshin Maru is vital to the operations of the Japanese whaling fleet, but it will run foul of new rules imposed by the United Nations International Maritime Organisation, an investigation by the Herald has found.

The ship will fall foul of three new measures that will apply in Antarctic waters: the heavy fuel oil it uses will be banned; its hull-strength and safety will fail new requirements; and its annual dumping of thousands of tonnes of offal at sea will be rejected in the global nature reserve.

The regulations were backed by the Antarctic Treaty System after a series of accidents involving tourism cruise ships, including the sinking of MS Explorer.

They pose a dilemma for Japan, one of the world's largest and most law-abiding shipping nations, and threaten to make the operation of its heavily subsidised whaling fleet even more costly.

The 22-year-old Nisshin Maru weighs 8000 tonnes. It is owned by Kyodo Senpaku Kaisha, a company in Tokyo that is owned by the government-funded Institute of Cetacean Research.

The converted stern trawler processes and holds whale meat collected by Japan's "scientific research" program. Its chequered history includes two disabling ship fires and the deaths of three crew in accidents.

Following the last fire in 2007, New Zealand's then conservation minister, Chris Carter, said he was concerned about the potential for the Nisshin Maru to spill 1000 tonnes of heavy fuel oil in the pristine Ross Sea.

The IMO's marine environmental protection committee met in London this week to approve a ban on the use of heavy fuel oil in the Antarctic Treaty area (below 60 degrees south) by July 2011, because of the harm it could cause. Exceptions will be made for ships involved in safety or search-and-rescue operations, the organisation said.

Japanese records show all of its Antarctic whaling is done inside the treaty area.

The IMO's maritime safety committee also approved a new series of classes for ships operating in polar waters, and these are expected to be adopted at its general assembly this year.

The Nisshin Maru may meet safety changes such as the introduction of compulsory enclosed lifeboats, but it will increasingly stand out from other polar vessels for its lack of ice strength and inferior hull construction.

The ship has a single hull, not the double hull required today, and the safety group Lloyd's Register lists no ice-strengthening classification for it. Official cruise reports submitted to the International Whaling Commission by the Institute of Cetacean Research show the factory ship routinely steams through waters filled with icebergs and loose pack ice.

The IMO's Guidelines For Ships Operating In Ice-Covered Waters calls for them to use industry-best-practice rules against "operational discharges", strengthening Antarctic Treaty rules that forbid dumping waste at sea.

Some of the institute's data checked by Greenpeace shows that about 40 per cent of whale carcasses - mainly bones, blood and other body parts - are dumped each year from Nisshin Maru. In its busiest season yet, 2005-06, 2118 tonnes of whale offal would have gone overboard.

Japan is one of the most compliant nations with IMO regulations, said John Francis, director of the Maritime Transport Policy Centre at the Australian Maritime College in Launceston. "Even though a growing percentage of Japanese ships are not operated under their flag, they still maintain very high standards."

An oceans campaigner for Greenpeace International, John Frizell, said breaching IMO regulations would add to the unacceptable practice of whaling. "Ending 'scientific' whaling would be a good way for Japan to comply with international maritime law, too."

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Lowercasem

Australian Politics

Reply #260 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 10:45am

Whaling should be banned!.   The japanese position that they are taking whales for research is a lie perpetrated to justify their comsumption of whale meat.  If they were sure of their position they would not need to hide behind such a obvious falsehood.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #261 - Oct 25th, 2009 at 7:22pm

They are hiding behind a loophole. A loophole which, for some reason, the international community is incapable of closing.

So aside from all the technical and legal excuses, why should whaling be banned?

IP Logged

mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Reply #262 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 9:22am

Quote:
So aside from all the technical and legal excuses, why should whaling be banned?

Because it is cruel. These animals are enormous and have lived for decades. Usually the females have a calf with them. They don’t have a quick painless death – it is prolonged and excruciating – never mind that the calves are left alone, too young to fend for itself.

The Japanese have had an unsuccessful concerted campaign to promote whale meat and only a small proportion of the population eat it. Whales have enough to contend with as far as pollution, underwater sonic booms and hunting. Many species are becoming endangered. In regard to the Japanese – their motives are only about continuing their beloved traditional hunting and nothing else.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #263 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:06am

the world needs fewer people. A LOT fewer.

Not fewer nonhuman animals

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

Mercedes With Square Wheels
Ex Member

Reply #264 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 4:02pm

I remember an hysterical anecdote involving those whale-protesters and whalers. One of them illegally boarded the ship of a Norwegian whaler and handcuffed himself to the railings of the boat. The Norwegian whaler told him to leave, but he refused. The whaler went under the deck of his ship, emerged with a hacksaw, and proceeded to start sawing off the arm of the unlucky protester. Vikings, motherbuggerer!

I'm against whaling solely due to the critically low levels of whale stocks available. If whale stocks were of a sustainable level to permit widespread hunting again, I would be all for it.

I'm also in favor of treating Sea Shepherd (like say, the Animal Liberation Front) to the fullest extent of Saxon tribal law. Under Saxon tribal law, a single criminal was just that, a criminal. 30 criminals together would be considered a group of brigands, and 100 criminals together treated as a hostile paramilitary force and could systematically be waged war against. I'm in favor of waging war on blantantly terrorist organizations like Sea Shepherd as if they were a hostile invading force.

« Last Edit: Oct 26th, 2009 at 4:29pm by N/A »  

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #265 - Oct 26th, 2009 at 10:14pm

Quote:
I remember an hysterical anecdote involving those whale-protesters and whalers. One of them illegally boarded the ship of a Norwegian whaler and handcuffed himself to the railings of the boat. The Norwegian whaler told him to leave, but he refused. The whaler went under the deck of his ship, emerged with a hacksaw, and proceeded to start sawing off the arm of the unlucky protester. Vikings, motherbuggerer!

I'm against whaling solely due to the critically low levels of whale stocks available. If whale stocks were of a sustainable level to permit widespread hunting again, I would be all for it.

I'm also in favor of treating Sea Shepherd (like say, the Animal Liberation Front) to the fullest extent of Saxon tribal law. Under Saxon tribal law, a single criminal was just that, a criminal. 30 criminals together would be considered a group of brigands, and 100 criminals together treated as a hostile paramilitary force and could systematically be waged war against. I'm in favor of waging war on blantantly terrorist organizations like Sea Shepherd as if they were a hostile invading force.

We can't even decide what to do with an actual hotile invading force. We wring our hands if we happen to slap them with a lettuce not sufficiently limp.
When it comes to the greenies, we can't even muster the conviction to take the lettuce away from them.

Angry

IP Logged

Mercedes With Square Wheels
Ex Member

Reply #266 - Oct 27th, 2009 at 2:20am

Luckily that will change after I have installed myself as prime minster for life

I'm the "he-said-what?!" you can believe in!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #267 - Oct 28th, 2009 at 9:41pm

Quote:
Because it is cruel.

We do plenty of cruel things to animals. Some of them you even support yourself. Whales are no exception. What is the real reason?

Quote:
These animals are enormous and have lived for decades.

Maybe that's it - size really does matter.

Quote:
Whales have enough to contend with as far as pollution, underwater sonic booms and hunting.

There are plenty of animals around in far worse peril.

Quote:
Many species are becoming endangered.

There are many species of fish becoming endangered too. That is no good reason to put fish off the menu. It's like calling for a ban on chicken meat because the purple spotted guinea fowl is endangered. It is an appeal to ignorance, nothing more.

Quote:
In regard to the Japanese – their motives are only about continuing their beloved traditional hunting and nothing else.

How about you let the Japanese say what motivates them instead of putting words into their mouths.

Quote:
The Japanese have had an unsuccessful concerted campaign to promote whale meat and only a small proportion of the population eat it.

Why is culinary diversity a bad thing? That is like KFC and maccas trying to ban meat pies because not many people eat them. Also, why is it legitimate for stoned hippies to try to invent another pointless taboo with campaigns to change what people eat, but when the Japanese encourage the consumption of sustainably harvested wild food it is somehow evidence of their illigitemacy? I would try whale meat if it wasn't illegal, and I don't need an advertising campaign to make me want to try. The fact that the Japanese are the underdog does not prove anything against them.

Mercedes:

Quote:
I'm against whaling solely due to the critically low levels of whale stocks available.

The whales that are harvested are in abundance.

Quote:
If whale stocks were of a sustainable level to permit widespread hunting again, I would be all for it.

They are, which is why the IWC scientific committee is drawing up plans for a resumption of commercial whaling.

Quote:
I'm also in favor of treating Sea Shepherd (like say, the Animal Liberation Front) to the fullest extent of Saxon tribal law.

Me too. We are hypocrits for being so tolerant of their illegal and dangerous antics.
« Last Edit: Oct 28th, 2009 at 9:47pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

Darwin
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #268 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 10:08am

Do you know HM of the whale ends up in the garbage, FD? Jap whaling is more an act of Jap govt policy than a demand driven hunt.

IP Logged

pjb05
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #269 - Nov 8th, 2009 at 11:14am

freediver wrote on Oct 28th, 2009 at 9:41pm:
[quote]
There are many species of fish becoming endangered too. That is no good reason to put fish off the menu. It's like calling for a ban on chicken meat because the purple spotted guinea fowl is endangered. It is an appeal to ignorance, nothing more.

Plenty of greenies (and animal libbers) want to ban fishing, FD. You have been endlessly promoting their chosen method of achieving that.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19 20 21
Send Topic Print