Send Topic Print
drought assistance (Read 12037 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
drought assistance
Jan 9th, 2007 at 2:29pm

Isn't drought assistance a form of subsidy for people who farm cattle on land that probably isn't suited to cattle? Some relatives of mine in the industry have always complained that it usually goes to big agribusinesses anyway, as they are the ones who can afford the red tape. Thus it may be helping to push people off the land, by subsidising large agribusiness so they can buy out smaller farmers. If an industry is in a situation where it is likely to require government assistance in the bad times, then it should pay extra tax in the good times to make up for it. Either that, or they should be expected to take the natural ups and downs into account when planning.  

Article in the smh about QLD farmers asking for a reduction in red tape:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Qld-farmers-seek-end-to-drought-red-tape/2007/01/09/1168104968794.html

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Guest(Guest)

Re: drought assistance
Reply #1 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 2:40pm

Drought Assistance...

Better infrastructure.
Industry relocation.

A government willing to audit all necessary parameters and devise a manifesto that will see the sustainable use of our country and growth of our population into the future.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #2 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 2:46pm

What did you mean with the industry relocation comment?

IP Logged

Guest(Guest)

Reply #3 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 2:55pm

Relocation...

Farmers etc, etc, etc in non-viable locations be offered the chance to move to viable locations within Australia.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 3:01pm

Aren't all the viable locations taken? Won't drought assistance encourage them to stay where they are? They won't get money from the government if the move to somewhere that isn't drought prone. I'm happy for the government to chip in for relocation/retraining expenses for a farmer who is forced off the land, especially if the land is put to a more appropriate use, but drought assistance will only prolong the inappropiate use.

IP Logged

Guest(Guest)

Reply #5 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 3:22pm

Where in MY drought assistance did I mention subsidies to stay in unviable locations?
Why would a farmer want to move off the land if given the opportunity to continue on the land?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #6 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 3:25pm

Drought assistance is a subsidy you get by remaining on the land. It is free money from the government that is conditional on remaining on the land. Thus it is a subsidy for staying there, regardless of what the intention is.

IP Logged

Guest(Guest)

Reply #7 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 3:32pm

You might try reading my initial post again then.

You might also try being a bit more flexible in your thinking.
And perhaps wonder if I did not shift the goal-posts or start playing another game entirely.
Perhaps I redefined what real drought assistance should be.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #8 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 3:36pm

This is the extent of the comment in your first post: "Industry relocation."

Hence my question that followed: "What did you mean with the industry relocation comment?"

Perhaps, you should just pretend I asked that question again. Is it anything to do with drought assistance, or are you merely pointing out the existence of the concept of relocation assistance? Forgive me for assuming it was something to do with drought assistance.

IP Logged

Guest(Guest)

Reply #9 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 4:04pm

This is the extent of my initial post.

Drought Assistance...

Better infrastructure.
Industry relocation.

A government willing to audit all necessary parameters and devise a manifesto that will see the sustainable use of our country and growth of our population into the future.

It defines my version of REAL drought assistance. 
I even expanded on it for you.

tsk, tsk...  more flaming.

Well here's one right back at you.
Forgive me for expecting you to understand.

I can adhere to your standards if that's what you want... flame away.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #10 - Jan 9th, 2007 at 4:11pm

That's OK. I forgive you. Thanks for explaining what your first post was about. I'm glad you cleared that up so quickly.

IP Logged

mozzaok
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 12:24am

Hi diver, like your site setup, hope it goes well. This handout philosophy for semi competent or incompetent small businesses is obscene. Why do those who usually have had land and infrastructure handed to them on a platter always qualify for government subsidies while any other small business sinks or swims on it's own merits? My wife's family are from the "land" and while they are decent, honest, hard working people they could not organise a p1ss up in a pub and should not rely on subsidies to survive. My one concession would be low or zero interest "loans" for those that required or sought assistance through times of natural disaster. My business suffered massive losses recently do to incompetently managed roadworks disrupting business for over a year, instead of the planned 3 months. Where do I go to get my $250,000? I went to  the bank that's where. So through no fault of my own and gross incompetence from government departments I have to borrow to cover losses and get back on track, not even an act of god to blame there.
P.S. I had a little browse of stu's "policies", at least I got a bit of a laugh.
"zero tolerance with discretion " in his policing bit, is that like a bit pregnant? Wink

OOPS!!! My Karma, ran over your Dogma!

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #12 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 9:37am

I once thought I had access to a zer o interest loan. I went straight over and applied. Unfortunately I didn't qualify - wasn't destitute enough. Even if I didn't need the money I still would have taken it and stuck it in a bank account. A zero iterest loan is no different to a handout. THey might as well send them to a bank for the loan and give them the interest as a handout. The only time where it could be different is where the banks won't take the risk. I guess that could be jsutified after a natural disaster or something. But then, who gets the money? Everyone?

IP Logged

Guest(Guest)

Reply #13 - Jan 10th, 2007 at 2:11pm

oh please stop...   Grin Grin Grin
I can't take so much humour.

Quite happy to repeat myself a few times for those slowest on the uptake.

Who'd have thought that a topic titled drought asistance and a reply titled drought assistance would actually be about drought assistance.
Shocked

IP Logged

enviro

Taking Out The Trash

Weethalle NSW
Business is business
Reply #14 - Jan 12th, 2007 at 9:00am

These people getting this assistance would also consist of people that own a $1,000,000 farm have $500,000 worth of equipment, which includes their $56,000 + car (4wd). Owning a farm is no different to buying shares on a stockmarket or owning a deli in Haymarket. A drought comes in many forms in business. Water, economy, competition, etc.

If you owned a deli in Haymarket and the locals moved away would the government subsidise this business till the people came back? Of course not...

The reason why the government gives these handouts to farmers is because they are the backbone to any country. If by chance Australia needs to sustain itself, due to war causing import restrictions or some other catastrophe that sees Australia having to be reliant on it's own food production, it is a good investment to make.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print