Send Topic Print
GREEN TAX SHIFT (Read 145145 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Natural Capitalism
Reply #15 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:56am

Has anyone read this book? (Natural Capitalism)

http://www.natcap.org/
http://www.natcap.org/sitepages/pid5.php

It goes through the ways that industry can save money by conserving resources and reducing emissions and pollution.

Some interesting bits:

p159-169 Green Tax Shift - broadens the concept to include all forms of waste, extraction of non-renewables and destruction of ecological services. Not sure how far you can extend this rpactically, but many European nations are. It acknowledges how European taxation has undermined jobs and describes how they are changing the system (p14 also).

p197 - GM crops undermining organic crops by increasing insect resistance to natural insecticides.

p191 - compares US agricultural subsidies etc to the soviet economy

p192-196 - reduced crop output due to topsoil loss - this is starting to reverse the 'green revolution' in many places, reducing agricultural output. This threat is alrger than I had realised.

p153 - ecosystem services - scientific statement on the value, their destruction and our inability to replace them, gives some examples and an economic value

p60 - waste is counted as GDP, and many important services people do are not, the destruction of many assets is ignored, thus GDP can (and does) hide negative growth in our societies

p53, index of social health is going down while GDP going up

p19 - In 1998 there was more destruction from extreme weather than all of the 80's, compounded by deforestation and climate change. Water, arable land and fish availability declining since 80's

p194 - risk due to lack of diversity on crops that provide most of our food. Diversity and adaptability are the key to overcoming climate change, as well as pests etc [there is no market mechanism to encourage diversity before it is too late - should we tax the most common crops?

p200 - 15% of global food already grown in cities

p201 - example of transport subsidies - strawberry yoghurt in Europe - 13000 miles of transport, despite 'local' origins

p202 - pig farming innovation, reducing emissions, producing mulch, friendler to the animals

p204 - agriculture produces 25% of greenhouse gasses. This can be reversed so they start absorbing a significant quantitiy of greenhouse gasses.

From p 261:

For all their power and vitality, markets are only tools. They make a good servant but a bad master and a worse religion. They can be used to accomplish many important tasks, but they can't do everything, and it's a dangerous delusion to begin to believe that they can - especially when they begin to replace ethics or politics. America may now be discovering this, and has begun it's retreat from the recent flirtation with economic fundamentalism. That theology treats living things as dead, nature as a nuisance, several billlion years' design experience as casually discardable, and the future as worthless. (At a 10 percent real discount rate, nothing is worth much for long, and nobody should have children.)

The 1980's extolled a selfish attitude that counted only what was countable, not what really counted.

Economic efficiency is an admirable means only so long as one remembers it is not an end in itself. Markets are meant to be efficient, not sufficient; aggresive and competitive, not fair. Markets were never meant to achieve community or integrity, beauty or justice, sustainability or sacredness - and, by themselves, they don't. To fulfill the wider perpose of being human, civilisations have invented politics, ethics, and religion. Only they can reveal worthy goals for the tools of the economic process.

Some market theologians promote a fashionable conceit that governments should have no responsibility for overseeing markets - for setting the basic rules by which market actors play. Their attitude is, let's cut budgets for meat inspection and get governments off the backs of abattoirs, and everyone who loses loved ones to toxic foos can simply sue the offenders.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Natural Capitalsim
Reply #16 - Jan 19th, 2007 at 9:58am

My main criticism of the book is it's failure to put things into perspective. This is probably the cause of the 'mixed messages' some people get from it about the need for government intervention and regulation. Most of the book is devoted to detailed case studies about how companies have profited by reducing emissions and waste, and it is easy to get the impression from the vast volume of this sort of content that the author is arguing that no intervention is necessary. That is why I copied the above quotes. He does say these important things, but they would tend to get lost in the detail and he certainly doesn't place enough emphasis on them, nor explain why companies acting on their own will not solve the bulk of the problems until it is too late. I think he describes the green tax shift stuff as if it were another good idea, but doesn't explain the fundamental economic forces that make it vital. Rather than having an intro, body and conclusions, where you use the intro to put things into perspective and conclusion to draw out the core messages, he mixes these things in with the content and they come across as an 'aside'. It's as if the book is targetted at Engineers and managers from large corporations and it frames most of the claims in terms of benefit to the company alone. For the vast majority of people who are not in that kind of powerful position it misses the mark a bit. Perhaps that is what Bill Clinton was getting at when he described it as being a very important book, because it fills that niche and does so in a powerful way.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Business-told-to-save-by-going-green/2007/01/19/1169095946612.html

According to the Department of Environment and Conservation NSW (DEC), businesses that adopt sustainable energy practices will be able to reduce energy consumption and costs by 15 to 20 per cent.

"Apart from saving money, our clients find the additional benefit of healthy staff pays dividends to the company."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Greens attack Bluescope carbon tax deal
Reply #17 - Feb 2nd, 2007 at 6:59pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Greens-attack-Bluescope-carbon-tax-deal/2007/02/02/1169919526615.html

The NSW government has come under attack over a deal exempting one of the state's biggest greenhouse gas producers from paying any future carbon tax for the next 25 years.

NSW Greens MP Lee Rhiannon has attacked the deal, which was signed last November.

Ms Rhiannon said carbon taxes did not yet exist in Australia despite such a system being one of the best ways to drive down greenhouse gases.

Bluescope's Port Kembla plant produces 10.7 million tonnes of carbon dioxide a year, which is about seven per cent of the greenhouse gases emitted in NSW, Ms Rhiannon said in a statement.

"Premier [Morris] Iemma has no right to undermine a future carbon tax system. His action locks NSW out of the development of sensible economic mechanisms for reducing carbon emissions," she said.

Mr Iemma said the 25-year agreement, which helped secure 6,000 jobs, was binding only if Bluescope built the electricity plant.

"The outcome is this. We get a reduction in greenhouse gas emissions. We get Bluescope working on technology to further reduce emissions from that plant.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Howard's backflip has arrived
Reply #18 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 10:35am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/PM-softening-carbon-emissions-stance/2007/02/05/1170523988733.html

Prime Minister John Howard appears to be softening his opposition to putting a price on carbon emissions, saying market mechanisms, including carbon pricing, will be integral to any long-term response to climate change.

"Market mechanisms, including carbon pricing will be integral to any long term response to climate change," he said in his weekly radio address.

"(It will outline) a set of issues regarding the development and implementation of a workable global emissions trading scheme and the role Australia can play."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21171168-601,00.html

A CARBON tax of up to $25 a tonne is being considered by the West Australian Government in a move that would cost the resource-rich state's alumina industry more than $200million a year.

The tax -- which would be the most significant response by any state government to the threat of climate change -- is among a raft of measures flagged in a report released today by a special taskforce set up to examine ways of reducing greenhouse gas emissions by West Australian electricity generators.

The report is understood to recommend an emissions trading scheme and the adoption of a 20 per cent renewable energy target by 2020.

Labor leader Kevin Rudd announced yesterday his own national summit on climate change, to be held late next month or early April. The summit would provide ideas to be considered at the ALP national policy conference to be held in Sydney from April 27-29.

The Blair Government in Britain is hoping to speed up the US response to climate change by bypassing President George W. Bush and urging US states to join directly with Europe's own carbon trading scheme.

While the EU emissions trading scheme has struggled to operate effectively since its launch in 2005, the British Government hopes that nine northeastern states and California can eventually join as the first step towards making it a global scheme.

I didn't know the government could use official .gov.au websites for such transparent aprtisan attacks:

http://www.environment.gov.au/minister/env/2006/mr16aug706.html

A plan for a national emissions trading scheme released by the Labor states and endorsed by Kim Beazley’s Federal Labor Party today will see home electricity prices soar in Western Australia.

In a table contained deep within the 228 page emissions trading paper, it is revealed that if Labor has its way and introduces such a tax, residents in Western Australia can expect to pay up to $160 more each year.

The Labor emissions trading scheme admits that within 20 years there would be a 28% reduction in coal use in Australia at a cost to the WA economy of tens of millions of dollars.

The emissions trading scheme effectively taxes traditional power sources such as coal-fired power stations and presumes (rightly) that the cost will be immediately passed onto consumers.

The Labor emissions trading plan is designed to reduce Australia’s greenhouse gas emissions by 60% by 2050.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Oops Howard has lost it again
Reply #19 - Feb 5th, 2007 at 8:25pm

This really shows that Howard is putting the pockets of his business mates before the rest of Australia. A carbon tax will not harm business any more than carbon trading. The only difference is that carbon trading would give his mates a one-off windfall, and be a lot harder to work with later on.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/PM-considers-workable-carbon-trading/2007/02/05/1170524021015.html

Carbon trading in Australia is a step closer to becoming a reality, with Prime Minister John Howard backing an approach which protects businesses.

Despite acknowledging the need for a trading market to help reduce greenhouse emissions, Mr Howard voiced his strong opposition to a carbon tax.

But West Australian Premier Alan Carpenter is considering a carbon tax after a WA's Greenhouse and Energy Taskforce report recommended a $25 a tonne tax.

He did not commit to implementing the recommendation but said such a tax would enable WA to meet the report's aim of reducing WA's greenhouse gas emissions by 50 per cent of 1990 levels by 2050.

Greenpeace was more cautious in welcoming the government's moves.

"Prime Minister Howard's comments that (emissions trading) would not affect Australia's resource industry is a warning sign that, if sweetheart deals are struck, the trading system would essentially be ineffectual," energy campaigner Ben Pearson said.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Howard lies on carbon taxes
Reply #20 - Feb 6th, 2007 at 10:49am

I cannot believe that this is an honest mistake from Howard. A carbon tax pays just as much regard to market forces as a trading scheme, if not more so.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21179208-2,00.html

"The imposition of a tax is a very crude, inefficient and potentially damaging way of dealing with it because it pays no proper regard to market forces," Mr Howard said. "It's important that we develop an approach to carbon pricing that is acceptable to and sympathetic to... Australian industry because Australian industry employs millions of people."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Greenhouse gas ocean burial approved
Reply #21 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 3:12pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Greenhouse-gas-ocean-burial-approved/2007/02/10/1170524331910.html

International rules allowing burial of greenhouse gases beneath the seabed are in force in what will be a step toward fighting global warming, if storage costs are cut and leaks can be averted.

A 2005 UN report, however, warned that such storage would be widely applied only if the penalty for emitting carbon dioxide to the atmosphere was $US25-$US30 a tonne - far above current prices in a European Union market.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Pratt-calls-for-doubling-in-water-price/2007/02/15/1171405365603.html

Leading philanthropist and cardboard king Richard Pratt has called for a doubling in the price of water and says desalination is the only major source of unlimited new water.

Mr Pratt, who is chairman of packaging and recycling company Visy Group, said a doubling of the water price would make people more conscious about their consumption.

"If they (government) doubled the price of water it would make people more conscious in regards to their water usage," he told about 500 people at an Australia-Israel Chamber of Commerce lunch in Perth.

Mr Pratt called on the government to allow private interests to become involved in water management but was sceptical whether it would happen.

"I really believe private enterprise should get mixed up in water," he said.

"A partnership between governments and private enterprise, where the government decides what price they're to charge and the private enterprise decides how it's to be managed.

"(But) they (the government) can make an income out of the water they are charging ... they don't want to lose their profits."

Mr Pratt said Australia should adopt a national carbon trading scheme rather than waiting for a global initiative to be implemented.

"We do need to factor in the costs of pollution into the costs of production.

"We've got to start with Australia, we can't tell the Chinese government what to do or the Indian government what to do. It is a global issue but we have to do what we can do."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Groups-plans-global-warming-fight/2007/02/21/1171733799041.html

More than 100 corporate heads, international organisations and experts set out a plan to cut greenhouse gas emissions, calling on governments to act urgently against global warming.

The group, which includes executives from a range of industries including air transport, energy, and technology, called on governments to set targets for greenhouse gases and carbon dioxide (CO2) emissions.

The agreement urged governments to place a price on the carbon emissions released by power plants, factories and other sectors to discourage emissions.

The largest carbon-emitting sector is power generation, responsible for more than 40 per cent of global energy-related emissions.

Industry accounts for more than 18 per cent of emissions, transport contributes another 20 per cent, and the residential and services sector roughly 13 per cent.

The group estimates that technology to head off mounting carbon dioxide concentrations would cost about one per cent of global gross domestic product. Costs would fall as technologies become more established, it predicted.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/EU-agrees-to-20-cut-in-CO2-by-2020/2007/02/21/1171733801533.html

EU environment ministers said that they would cut overall carbon dioxide emissions 20 per cent by 2020 and were ready to go to 30 per cent if other industrialised nations would match European efforts to curb global warming.
« Last Edit: Feb 21st, 2007 at 10:34am by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Ireland raises green tax on plastic bags
Reply #22 - Feb 22nd, 2007 at 1:52pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Ikea-to-charge-for-plastic-bags/2007/02/22/1171733884033.html

Sweden's IKEA will charge US customers five cents for disposable plastic shopping bags in what the international furniture giant said was a first step to ending their use altogether.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/Ireland-raises-green-tax-on-plastic-bags/2007/02/22/1171733884028.html

Ireland is to increase a tax on plastic shopping bags that has cut their use by more than 90 per cent since its launch five years ago, the government said.

Before the tax, the sight of plastic bags flapping from trees and hedgerows across Ireland was so prevalent that some said they were fast becoming the Emerald Isle's "national flag".

The levy - which will rise to 22 euro cents ($A0.37) from 15 euro cents per bag from July 1 - cut the amount of plastic bag litter by 95 per cent after people switched to reusable bags, said Environment Minister Dick Roche.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/PM-flags-climate-change-fund-in-budget/2007/02/23/1171733979501.html

Prime Minister John Howard has hinted this year's federal budget may include a multi-billion dollar investment in climate change measures.

"I do think that there will be some costs that need to be borne by government," Mr Howard said.

"But, like water, you need some price signals as well. There tends to be a mixture."

Power sector wants emissions trading

http://www.smh.com.au/news/Business/Power-sector-wants-emissions-trading/2007/02/26/1172338537135.html

The federal government has again been accused of dragging its heels on climate policy.

Australia's biggest electricity and natural gas companies are stepping up pressure for the country to adopt a national emissions trading scheme.

The Energy Supply Association of Australia (ESAA) called for a new national policy approach including a greenhouse gas emissions price signal.

Greens senator Christine Milne said the electricity generation sector's views represented a change of heart after a decade of opposition to putting a price on carbon.

Aviation industry urged to cut emissions

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Aviation-industry-urged-to-cut-emissions/2007/02/26/1172338526740.html

Airline departure times must be better managed to reduce holding patterns and greenhouse gas emissions, Transport Minister Mark Vaile said.

Mr Vaile said planes forced to hold at low altitude burned four to five as much fuel as a planes en route; and much more than a plane holding while on the ground.

Australia had already introduced flex tracks, a way for international carriers to identify routes that took advantage of weather conditions and wind velocity to reduce flying time and emissions, Mr Vaile said.

A recent flight from Melbourne to Dubai saved 10 minutes and burned 2.7 tonnes less fuel by identifying a better route to travel, which ultimately prevented an extra 8.2 tonnes of carbon dioxide emissions being spewed into the atmosphere, Mr Vaile said.

"A failure by air navigation service providers to accept the urgency of the need for action on greenhouse emissions will ... lead to punitive action by governments," the Australian Newspaper reported he told the Civil Air Navigation Services Organisation conference in the Netherlands earlier this month.

And an Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change has estimated a 12 per cent inefficiency exists in air-traffic management globally, producing an extra 73 million tonnes of carbon dioxide and costing $US13.5 billion ($17.28 billion), the Australian reported.

The EU has already moved to tackle aviation emissions by proposing including airlines in its carbon trading scheme, forcing them to pay if they exceed their current level of emissions.

Water audit shows up differences

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/water-audit-shows-up-differences/2007/02/27/1172338619784.html

The first comprehensive stocktake of state and territory water pricing has highlighted a long list of differences in the way water is priced across Australia.

The stocktake is designed to provide a basis for assessing differences in approaches to water charging and cost recovery in delivery of both urban and rural water supplies.

Major differences between the urban and rural sectors were detected in three areas: recovery of capital expenditure, urban water tariff structures and the two sectors' approaches to recovering the costs of water planning and management.
« Last Edit: Feb 28th, 2007 at 11:13am by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Cabinet weighs emissions cuts
Reply #23 - Mar 3rd, 2007 at 11:27am

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21316167-601,00.html

THE Howard Government is exploring how it can get Australia back under its Kyoto target by guaranteeing immediate greenhouse gas cuts of about six million tonnes a year.

John Howard has already signalled that this year's election budget will contain a number of greenhouse initiatives, while the Government is understood to be considering an environment or energy levy that could help fund a pre-election suite of clean energy and efficiency reforms.

Modelling conducted in 2002 for the electricity supply industry found that a $10 per tonne charge on electricity could deliver the required greenhouse gas cuts and raise about $2 billion a year, but would increase retail bills by 7per cent - $100 to $300 a year - per household.

The cuts would be achieved by a slight fall in demand from the higher price as well as a slight change in the dispatch pattern in power stations feeding into the national grid, triggering marginally more gas-fired power at the expense of black and brown coal.

Power stations represent about half of Australia's emissions profile and accelerated funding to fast-track power station efficiency upgrades may also help get Australia back on the Kyoto track, although a voluntary national efficiency program by the Australian Greenhouse Office has been addressing this since 2000.

The Prime Minister signalled this week that COAG should set a timetable to establish a fully national electricity market and transmission grid, while reiterating the Government's support for a national rollout of smart meters to help curb electricity demand.

The Government also has to announce two more solar cities and complete the rollout of its $500 million low-emissions technology fund, with the announcement of the latest project, believed to be in Victoria's Latrobe Valley, postponed this week.

Rates rise to fund water plan

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,20867,21355794-2702,00.html

WATER bills will more than double and wasteful householders face heavy fines and rationing following the introduction of level-five water restrictions in southeast Queensland.
And within six months, level-six restrictions are likely to result in public swimming pools not being topped up and all outdoor watering banned.

The Queensland Water Commission yesterday revealed the Beattie Government's $7 billion plans to improve water infrastructure will be funded through water bills.

The bill for the average home will rise $71 next year. The average annual householder's water bill will increase from $355 to $876 by 2012.

Mr Newman described the rises as outrageous and warned that the region's mayors would not be used to do the state's "dirty work" to fund infrastructure it should have provided long ago. "This is a ruthless cash grab on the ratepayers of southeast Queensland," Mr Newman said.

Under level-five restrictions, newly built swimming pools cannot be filled from the town supply. Owners will pay between $2500 and $4000 to fill them from tankers.

About 120,000 households using more than 800 litres a day will be asked to complete audit forms to explain why they are using so much water.

Ms Nosworthy defended the water price hikes. "I don't think people have much to whinge about. We've been charged too little in the past," she said.

Greater action on renewable energy urged

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Greater-action-on-renewable-energy-urged/2007/04/23/1177180491655.html

Household electricity bills would rise by just $1.23 a week if a quarter of Australia's energy came from renewable sources, a report has found.

The report by three green groups says setting a renewable energy target of 25 per cent by the year 2020 would deliver more than 16,000 new jobs, slash greenhouse gas emissions by 69 million tonnes and generate $33 billion in investment.

Although the average power bill would rise by $64 a year, continuing to rely on current power sources would cause prices to jump by $234 a year.

The study, A Bright Future, was released Monday by the Australian Conservation Foundation, Greenpeace and the Climate Change Action Network.

It warns Australia is missing out on the economic benefits of renewable energy that are flowing to California and European nations which have boosted their renewable energy targets.

"Provided we put Australia on track for sustained renewable energy development, costs should fall to below the cost of fossil fuels over the next 15 years."
« Last Edit: Apr 23rd, 2007 at 10:09am by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Climate change the 'No.1 issue in Qld'
Reply #24 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 10:00am

Fancy that - a group funded by coal and energy companies telling the PM he needs to do more about climate change:

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Climate-change-the-No1-issue-in-Qld/2007/04/26/1177459826253.html

Ninety per cent of Queenslanders think climate change is the most important issue facing Australia, according to new research.

Queensland's Centre for Low Emission Technology surveyed 1,800 people throughout the state and found most thought tackling global warming was vital to the nation's future.

Earlier this week Prime Minister John Howard said global warming was not the overwhelming moral challenge facing Australia, and argued that economic growth should take precedence over emissions cuts.

Mr Mickel said the study was the most comprehensive into the issue in Australia and the findings suggest there had been a major shift in public thinking about global warming.

The Centre for Low Emission Technology is a collaborative partnership between the Queensland government, CSIRO, the University of Queensland and a number of coal and energy companies.

Canada to ban incandescent light bulbs

Canada has switched on to Australia's plan to ban incandescent light bulbs, with Ottawa announcing its own timetable to ban the sale of the inefficient bulbs by 2012.

Climate Institute report incomplete: PM

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Climate-Institute-report-incomplete-PM/2007/04/27/1177459939187.html

Prime Minister John Howard has dismissed as "wrong" a report by the Climate Institute saying Australia is set to exceed Kyoto Protocol emissions targets.

PM hints at raising solar panels rebate

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/PM-hints-at-raising-solar-panels-rebate/2007/04/27/1177459936671.html

Prime Minister John Howard has hinted the federal budget may include an increase in the rebate given to Australians who install solar power panels on their properties.

The rebate, designed to offset the $10,000 to $15,000 cost of installation, was introduced six years ago.
« Last Edit: Apr 27th, 2007 at 11:55am by freediver »  

IP Logged

Scaly
Ex Member

Re: Green Tax Shift
Reply #25 - Apr 26th, 2007 at 5:57pm

Canada to ban incandescent light bulbs

Canada has switched on to Australia's plan to ban incandescent light bulbs, with Ottawa announcing its own timetable to ban the sale of the inefficient bulbs by 2012.

Meh...CFL's have problems all of their own such as mercury content among other things, plus we don't have the recycling facilities in Australia. All CFL's are supposed to be shipped overseas for recycling but they aren't. Guess where that mercury is going to end up?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Labor to spend big on emissions
Reply #26 - Apr 30th, 2007 at 9:20am

Labor outlines $300m green program

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/labor-outlines-300m-green-program/2007/04/29/1177787949901.html

Households will be able to borrow up to $10,000 to fit their homes with solar panels, rainwater tanks and other green products under a $300 million Labor scheme which could slash greenhouse gas emissions by 15 million tonnes.

Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd outlined the green renovation scheme on the last day of Labor's national conference, predicting the initiative would be equivalent to planting 15 million trees or taking four million cars off the road for a year.

Rudd vows to detail emissions trading

Labor leader Kevin Rudd has promised his party will outline an emissions trading scheme before the federal election.

The Opposition Leader said his party would start work on an Australian version of Britain's Stern review of climate change so that a new Labor government could, in its first term, act to set specific targets to cut greenhouse gas emissions, Fairfax newspapers report.

Mr Rudd's comments come as Prime Minister John Howard moves towards adopting his own emissions target by insisting he accepts the reality of climate change and has never opposed a target.

The states are expected to announce their own greenhouse review.

Both federal leaders have spent the weekend trying to outplay each other over the greenhouse issue, with Labor removing its longstanding ban on new uranium mines and Mr Howard attempting to overshadow the ALP's national conference by announcing plans for a nuclear power industry.

UN climate meet to discuss emission cuts

http://www.smh.com.au/news/World/UN-climate-meet-to-discuss-emission-cuts/2007/04/29/1177787966783.html

The costs of cutting greenhouse gases and who will pay for doing it are likely to be the key issues at a major UN-backed climate change meeting of scientists and diplomats in the Thai capital this week, participants said.

Some of the world's biggest greenhouse gas emitters like the US and Australia per capita and top oil exporters such as Saudi Arabia will try to water down language in a draft report, obtained by The Associated Press earlier this month, that suggests reducing emissions could cost less than three per cent of annual global economic activity, environmental activists said.

Power firms heavily subsidised: report

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Power-firms-heavily-subsidised-report/2007/05/08/1178390249752.html

Some Australian electricity generation companies get more money from government subsidies than the profits they make, a new report says.

Government support for the coal industry and coal-fired electricity is so generous that in some cases it has led to the construction of coal-fired power plants when other types of electricity generation would have been cheaper, Fairfax reports.

The report, commissioned by Greenpeace, was done by the Institute for Sustainable Futures at the University of Technology, Sydney.

It says subsidies to fossil fuel energies, worth close to $10 billion, result in a serious market distortion, create an unfair disadvantage to renewable energy, and help increase greenhouse gas pollution.

The report identified energy and transport subsidies in Australia during 2005-06 of between $9.3 billion and $10.1 billion. More than 96 per cent of that money flowed to fossil fuel production and consumption, with the remainder going to renewable energy and energy efficiency.

Households to pay more for water: Ripper

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/households-to-pay-more-for-water-ripper/2007/05/07/1178390215899.html

West Australian households are set to pay more for water as the cost of providing the scarce resource increases, the state government says.

WA Treasurer Eric Ripper says the state budget on Thursday includes an increase in water charges for the average household of 52 cents a week or 8.07 per cent.

Mr Ripper said the $28-a-year hike was recommended in a Economic Regulation Authority review and would encourage people to use water wisely.

Aussie producing oil from coconuts

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/aussie-producing-oil-from-coconuts/2007/05/07/1178390212839.html

An Australian entrepreneur based in the Solomons Islands is producing fuel and profits from coconuts.

Climate change farmers 'need GM crops'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/climate-change-farmers-need-gm-crops/2007/05/07/1178390211738.html

Australians will have to accept genetically modified food if the agriculture industry is to continue in an era of climate change, an Adelaide expert says.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2007 at 11:06am by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Solar panel initiative an insult: Greens
Reply #27 - May 8th, 2007 at 3:04pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Solar-panel-initiative-an-insult-Greens/2007/05/08/1178390273474.html

The government's solar panel rebate, to be announced in Tuesday's budget, is an insult to the environment, the Australian Greens say.

In its efforts to address climate change, the government will deliver a cash handout of $8,000 to households that install solar energy systems.

The initiative, expected to cost $30 million in the first year, will cost a total of $150 million over five years.

Australian Greens leader Bob Brown said "a veneer of green is not going to fool the Australian electorate".

"The fossil fuel industry subsidises to the tune of 10 thousand million dollars each year," Senator Brown told reporters in Canberra.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - May 8th, 2007 at 6:08pm

Unfortunately I would beleive that about the coal industry . They are very powerful and very political.
Sort of on a par with the farmers here and the gun lobby in  usa.

Bob Browns comments seem a bit far fetched.
I think they should always have to publish the facts of how they get to such a figure.
Looks like a fugure plucked from thin air, but it may not be, until I am given the calculations, I don't know.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #29 - May 8th, 2007 at 6:12pm

From one of the articles in the post before that:

Power firms heavily subsidised: report

The report, commissioned by Greenpeace, was done by the Institute for Sustainable Futures at the University of Technology, Sydney.

It says subsidies to fossil fuel energies, worth close to $10 billion, result in a serious market distortion, create an unfair disadvantage to renewable energy, and help increase greenhouse gas pollution.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4 ... 12
Send Topic Print