GREEN TAX SHIFT (Read 144998 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Re: GREEN TAX SHIFT
Reply #135 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 7:52pm

Quote:
Well, at this point, the vast majority of Economists, did not predict any GFC, let alone one which is 2nd only (so far) to the Great Depression, so I will stay with my views of what is happening, why & when! And, NO, it is not simple!

So your argument is that because economists can't predict the future (BTW, they did predict the GFC, years out, you just don't understand enough about economics to realise what was going on), we should ignore everything they say and go with whatever you make up?

Quote:
40 years in the Financial sector, a lot of research & some logical assessments!

That's funny. I have not seen a single logical assessment from you. Perhaps now would be a good time to roll it out.

Your experience in the financial sector, did it involve applying an understanding of economics, or filling out forms?

Quote:
How about you?

This is pretty basic economics, which is why there is such a strong consensus on it. Here is the explanation in my own words:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/green-tax-shift.html

Here is a specific criticism of the idea of subsidising energy:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/green-tax-shift-FAQ.html#Q5

Quote:
2) My preferred model would be to -

Yes, you have said so numerous times. What you keep leaving out is an explanation of why you think it is a good idea to start subsidising electricity consumption.
« Last Edit: Jul 22nd, 2010 at 8:05pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #136 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 9:29pm

Quote:
How about you?

Quote:
This is pretty basic economics, which is why there is such a strong consensus on it. Here is the explanation in my own words:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/green-tax-shift.html

Here is a specific criticism of the idea of subsidising energy:

What I said was, "1) 40 years in the Financial sector, a lot of research & some logical assessments! How about you?"

I was asking what your background is, like I gave mine, not what you have written.

Btw, I have read quite a bit of what you have written, some I agree with & some I don't!

That said, you have as much right to you opinions, as anyone else, including me, I & myself.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #137 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 9:44pm

Quote:
perceptions_now
Well, at this point, the vast majority of Economists, did not predict any GFC, let alone one which is 2nd only (so far) to the Great Depression, so I will stay with my views of what is happening, why & when! And, NO, it is not simple!

Quote:
freediver
1) BTW, they did predict the GFC, years out, you just don't understand enough about economics to realise what was going on

2) So your argument is that because economists can't predict the future we should ignore everything they say and go with whatever you make up?

1) Really? Then, if they predicted the GFC, why didn't they (including Politicians & Central Bankers) take action to prevent it? Btw, there is lots that I do not know, although this is not in that category, but unlike you, I am happy to say so.

2) Yes, I will continue with my own conclusions! Since I pulled out of the stock market in late 2006, I am quite happy with my results, compared to most Super Annuation funds, the general stock market & many would be in a lot worse position, given some of the standard reccommendations of market analysts.

IP Logged

perceptions_now
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Perth  WA
Reply #138 - Jul 22nd, 2010 at 10:28pm

Quote:
perceptions-now

Quote:
freediver
Yes, you have said so numerous times. What you keep leaving out is an explanation of why you think it is a good idea to start subsidising electricity consumption.

My full quote was, in fact -
a) Set lower levels of Emmissions & Usage, accross all industries, say 5-10% per year.
b) Use the Tax Carrot, to reward the achievement of those lower levels, by providing tax credits.
c) Use the Tax Stick, to penalise those who do not achieve the target levels, by hitting them with a Carbon Tax Excise, for want of a better term.

And, I am happy to go with that.

If any industry, including Coal Electricity generation, can reduce their GHG's and get some tax concessions, that's ok! If they don't make their target of 5-10 GHG reduction each year, then they will pay more.

And the same goes for car makers, if they can reduce their vehilce GHG's & fuel consumption figures, then they should get a concession otherwise a tax slug.

Given that transport is one of the big Consummers & emitters, they are just as vital as the power generators & heavy industry!

IP Logged

muso
Gold Member

Gladstone, Queensland
Reply #139 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 8:15am

Soren wrote on Jul 20th, 2010 at 7:59pm:
I think another way is better and certainly must be taken into consideration, even if you area Green, and that is making other energy sources even cheaper than carbon-based energy.

That is of course true. One of the main factors is  the ecomony of scale. Some of the large thermo-solar thermal power stations in the US have got down to $US150 per MWHr, but they currently average around $250.

There are hidden costs associated with coal fired power generation, just as there are with Oil derived energy. There was a massive release of outrage about the spill in the Gulf of Mexico, but that pales into insignificance financially and environmentally compared to the effects of continuing to burn fossil fuels.  A Carbon tax would tend to recover some of that cost and use it to subsidise cleaner technologies such as solar.

Geothermal stands out as being one of the most cost effective solutions. We have enormous geothermal reserves in Australia.  That should be the top priority - not rooftop Solar PV panels.

CR_10518_a.jpg (113 KB | 191 )
CR_10518_a.jpg

1523 people like this. The remaining 7,134,765,234 do not 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #140 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 9:51pm

Quote:
I was asking what your background is, like I gave mine, not what you have written.

I have studied economics at an American and an Australian university. I have discussed this very issue with many people over many years.

I also have a statement of economic consensus to back me up. And a logical explanation.

Quote:
That said, you have as much right to you opinions, as anyone else, including me, I & myself.

Is this the extent of your 'logical explanation'? Every time you are pressed, you resort to 'I am entitled to my opinion'. I thought you said you had an explanation, not just an opinion?

Quote:
Really? Then, if they predicted the GFC, why didn't they (including Politicians & Central Bankers) take action to prevent it?

Duh. They did. On a very large scale. So large in fact that it frequently made headlines.

Quote:
Btw, there is lots that I do not know, although this is not in that category, but unlike you, I am happy to say so.

So you know what I am talking about? Sometimes it is hard to tell.

Quote:
My full quote was, in fact -

Is there anything about my question that is answered by this? I can't see it. So here it is again. Why do you think it is a good idea to start subsidising electricity consumption. The fact that you want to do other things as well doesn't really explain why you think the subsidies are a good idea.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #141 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:37pm

freediver wrote on Jul 21st, 2010 at 6:01pm:
Soren:

Quote:
Even though you are a member or supported of the Greens, FD, I am still surprised a little that you think the best way of making people use  less of something - carbon-based energy - is by making it more expensive.

It has nothing to do with the greens. Most economists think the same. There is even a statement of economic consensus on the issue. 

You are bluffing, as you often do.

Economics may be the dismal science but economists are not actually as stupid as to assrt that this issue (or any other) has only one side and therefore one solution - tax.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #142 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:42pm

Quote:
I think another way is better and certainly must be taken into consideration, even if you area Green, and that is making other energy sources even cheaper than carbon-based energy.

This would involve massive subsidies to the energy sector and would be harmful to our economy. It would make enourmous waste inevitable.

On what grounds do you think it is better? Do you just like the idea of the government giving you something for 'nothing'?

This is a crap argument, FD.

Taxing energy is harmful to the economy because energy is not French liptick.  The 'economy' is what people do. It is not a friggin' conspiracy against Mother Nature or the 'woykeys'.
Most of all, it is not something the government has a special claim to.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #143 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:45pm

Quote:
To insist that this is akin to wanting world peace IS, however, predictable Green nonsense.

Not sure why you keep linking this to the Greens, or why you think trivialising world peace is a 'green' response.

You are a Green, you are pushing it, it's nonsense, so I link it to the Greens.

You came up with the world peace sooky nonsense - I'm just passing it back at you.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #144 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:45pm

Soren wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:37pm:
Soren:

Quote:
Even though you are a member or supported of the Greens, FD, I am still surprised a little that you think the best way of making people use  less of something - carbon-based energy - is by making it more expensive.

It has nothing to do with the greens. Most economists think the same. There is even a statement of economic consensus on the issue.  

You are bluffing, as you often do.

Economics may be the dismal science but economists are not actually as stupid as to assrt that this issue (or any other) has only one side and therefore one solution - tax.

What other sides are there Soren? The ignorant side? The 'I want another handout' side? The 'I have a perpetual motion machine for sale' side?

Here is a copy of the statement of economic consensus for you:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/economics-hopeful-science.html

Every economist I have spoken to about the issue agrees that pricing mechanisms are the way to go.

Quote:
You are a Green, you are pushing it, it's nonsense, so I link it to the Greens.

Love your logic there Soren.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #145 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:48pm

Soren wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:42pm:
Quote:

This would involve massive subsidies to the energy sector and would be harmful to our economy. It would make enourmous waste inevitable.

On what grounds do you think it is better? Do you just like the idea of the government giving you something for 'nothing'?

This is a crap argument, FD.

Taxing energy is harmful to the economy because energy is not French liptick.  The 'economy' is what people do. It is not a friggin' conspiracy against Mother Nature or the 'woykeys'.
Most of all, it is not something the government has a special claim to.

I believe I already responded to this point Soren. It is a tax on CO2 emissions, not energy.

Also, nothing in my argument for carbon taxes is based on accusations of a conspiracy theory. Negative externalities are not conspiracies. They are just an unfortunate fact of life.

Perhaps if you quit the drama queen act and discussed the actual topic instead this wouldn't be so repetitive.

No-one is claiming a free lunch here. All I am saying is that, for a given reduction in GHG emissions, carbon taxes are better for the economy than the alternatives you have suggested.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #146 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:51pm

freediver wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:45pm:
What other sides are there Soren? The ignorant side? The 'I want another handout' side? The 'I have a perpetual motion machine for sale' side?

Here is a copy of the statement of economic consensus for you:

http://www.ozpolitic.com/green-tax-shift/economics-hopeful-science.html

Every economist I have spoken to about the issue agrees that pricing mechanisms are the way to go.

FD, your 'I don't know what is everyone is talking about' schtick is wearing thin.

The other side of taxation (a mechanism of interfereing with price) is to make the price of another things lower (another interference with price).

Don't tell me you still haven't grasped that there are always two ways to interfere with prices: making one thing dearer OR making another thing cheap.

Look back - Muso even highligheted the pertinent bit in yellow. That ought to have helped.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #147 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:54pm

Quote:
FD, your 'I don't know what is everyone is talking about' schtick is wearing thin.

Just you Soren. I lost my drama queen to english translator.

Quote:
The other side of taxation (a mechanism of interfereing with price) is to make the price of another things lower (another interference with price).

Oh that. I have already responded to that also. Here is a recap for you:

In case you couldn't tell, the economic consensus is in favour of increasing the price of GHG emissions, not making competing technologies cheaper.

Quote:
Don't tell me you still haven't grasped that there are always two ways to interfere with prices: making one thing dearer OR making another thing cheap.

Oh there are plenty of ways to do it Soren.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #148 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:57pm

freediver wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:48pm:
I believe I already responded to this point Soren. It is a tax on CO2 emissions, not energy.

Also, nothing in my argument for carbon taxes is based on accusations of a conspiracy theory. Negative externalities are not conspiracies. They are just an unfortunate fact of life.

Perhaps if you quit the drama queen act and discussed the actual topic instead this wouldn't be so repetitive.

No-one is claiming a free lunch here. All I am saying is that, for a given reduction in GHG emissions, carbon taxes are better for the economy than the alternatives you have suggested.

Utter crap, FD. You cannot talk about GHG emissions without talking about energy. You are not proposing a tax on very exhalation and fart (methane) by every cow and sheep and human and his dog.
You are proposing a tax on burning coal and oil.

IP Logged

Soren
Gold Member

Reply #149 - Jul 23rd, 2010 at 11:02pm

freediver wrote on Jul 23rd, 2010 at 10:54pm:
Oh that. I have already responded to that also. Here is a recap for you:

In case you couldn't tell, the economic consensus is in favour of increasing the price of GHG emissions, not making competing technologies cheaper.

I like that - quoting yourself as an authority in support of your argument. Your own discovery?

No, I could't tell that the economic consensus was for taxation. Was that the consensus of economists employed by Al Gore and the People's Front of Green Browns? (or is it Brown Greens? I forget)

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 10 11 12 
Send Topic Print