Send Topic Print
share the road! (Read 17014 times)
merou

Less Tolerance, More Shooting

Pilbara WA
Re: share the road!
Reply #30 - Sep 9th, 2008 at 2:46am

Hey Freediver,
Maybe one of the Adreno members recognised you......Lol.

Im glad you werent seriously injured.

Shoot the scum and let God sort em out.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #31 - Sep 22nd, 2008 at 3:58pm

That's an interesting idea for bike lanes along railway tracks. I'd feel a lot safer there. Trains don't tend to swerve into you at the last moment. But you would have to put up some kind of barrier between the bikepath and the tracks. There would also be limited connections with roads. Most train lines are gradually expanding so they may be a bit cramped in places, but this could take advantage of the spare land that is often maintained beside tracks.

There are a lot of bike paths around here that follow creeks. These work very well. The land is also flat and tends to have green space along it already. People don't like to build houses on creek flats for some reason.....

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #32 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 12:19pm

response to e-petition about 1 meter passing distance:

http://www.parliament.qld.gov.au/view/EPetitions_qld/Responses/1407%20&%201504.p...

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Gold Member

WA
Reply #33 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 1:20pm

ya get the same attitude on a motorbike, but at least you're faster than the cars that are trying to kill ya.

In the fullness of time...

IP Logged

gizmo_2655
Gold Member

Australian Politics

South West NSW
Reply #34 - Sep 9th, 2010 at 2:04pm

freediver wrote on Sep 9th, 2010 at 12:19pm:

I agree with some of what you been saying here FD (I only just found the thread)....I generally try to leave 1.5 or 2 metre if possible....

That being said,....some cyclists are their own worst enemies though...
Particularly bicycle couriers....
I used to drive buses in Sydney and it was common occurence to have couriers ride straight through red lights or off kerbs without looking.....On one occasion I was in York Street (the main bus terminal for North Shore bus runs..it's 4 lanes 1-way) and a courier on a bike can around Wynyard park, the wrong way up a 1 way st, turned the wrong way into York St and rode diagonally across an intersection as I was turning right (almost under the front of my bus), went up the pram ramp onto the footpath, through a group of 8 or 10 people........then turned to me, shook his fist and yelled " Why do YOU learn the effing road rules"........

"I just get sick of people who place a label on someone else with their own definition.

It's similar to a strawman fallacy"
Bobbythebat

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #35 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 4:27pm

Quote:
Heres what you need to do........where your drink bottle normally sits, attach a heavy hammer.  If that happens again, or you see the car that did it to you, at the next convenient set of lights, remove said hammer and belt the bugger out of their vehicle. Then ride off.  You dont have a licence plate, so there is not much they can do.  But what it will do is put fear into their hearts when they next see a cyclist, probably giving you a wide berth.  Im not a supporter of road rage but sometimes police are useless in exacting justice.
NC

That's a great idea, expose yourself to attempted murder charges. 

If you hit my car with a hammer I would remind you of some inescapable laws of physics.

Politicians and Nappies need to be changed often and for the same reason.

One trouble with political jokes is that they often get elected.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #36 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 4:31pm

freediver wrote on Jan 16th, 2007 at 9:03am:
I'm all for bike lanes, but until you get them,
you have to share the road with bikes, just as you have to share it with old people who drive slowly. You shouldn't be driving at a speed where you cannot avoid obstacles anyway.
There's always a chance you'll get a cow or a kangaroo on the road, both of which can kill the driver of a vehicle because they are up so high. Fair enough, I won't be riding in a 90 zone. It feels dangerous enough in a 60 zone. But unless bikes are banned (motorways) then you are legally required to share the road with them. You should think of it as the cyclist taking up the whole lane, not just a third of it, and you should give them the whole lane, or at least plenty of room, when you overtake.

The truck driver would have seen the cyclist a lot earlier than you did. They have a good view from up there.

In all fairness FD, the old people would be breaking the law, in Queensland you are now eligible for an ~$200 fine and loss of 3 demerit points IIRC for driving substantially under the speed limit.  The transport department saw fit to enable a speed limit of 90kph which was being obeyed.  The vehicle travelling substantially under that is the one creating the risk.

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

qikvtec
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Queensland
Reply #37 - Sep 16th, 2010 at 4:43pm

freediver wrote on May 15th, 2008 at 10:07pm:
I passed a lady on my way to work this morning who had been hit by a car. She had blood on her face and her back tyre was bent, but she was sitting up by herself. I passed another bike accident at the same intersection a few months back. Last week at a different intersection I passed a guy who had been hit by a car. He looked unconscious, had blood dripping from his mouth etc. There's still a blood stain on the road.

Did you stop and talk to her FD?  If not you have just assumed it was not her fault.

I was sitting at a traffic light on a 3 lane carriage way the other day and saw this lycra clad fool approach the light look up the adjacent left street to ensure nothing was coming and proceed straight through the traffic light, only to be nearly cleaned up by a motorbike coming from the opposite direction.  

I guarantee you the headline would have read "cyclist killed by unobservant driver" instead of "f&*Kwit with a death wish kills himself and risks the lives of others by flagrantly disregarding road rules"

Personally I don't have an issue with cyclists.  It is legal for them to use the roads, and I have no beef.  Shame it isn't illegal for them not to use common sense in the process.

I have come around a blind bend at the speed limit only to have to slam on the brakes to avoid collecting a gaggle of lycra clad masochists riding 5 abreast and 4 deep on the road; it would have been a nasty crash and the ones that were killed would have pointed the finger squarely at me, when it was in fact the cyclists who were breaking the law.  

Alan Joyce for PM

IP Logged

Sally Cabil

Australian Politics

668 Harrison Ave, Panama City,
Reply #38 - Jun 3rd, 2011 at 6:38pm

if you ride a bike on a road then concentrate only on your riding not on any thing.if over taking is possible then take overtake other wise don't behave as hero.

Great life.
sally25cabil sally25cabil  
IP Logged

Lionel Edriess
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #39 - Aug 10th, 2014 at 2:00pm

This is how to share the road

Nice job on the overtake.

Toughen up, Australia!

IP Logged

Aussie
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #40 - Aug 14th, 2014 at 4:28pm

IP Logged

Taipan
Gold Member

Australian Politics

SouthWest Sydney
Reply #41 - Aug 18th, 2014 at 11:04am

Aussie wrote on Aug 14th, 2014 at 4:28pm:

Oh well done! The civil engineers in that country sure know what they're doin'. NOT. Grin

Then they end up in jobs downunder.  Angry

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print