Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
share the road! (Read 16967 times)
sense(Guest)

Re: share the road!
Reply #15 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 9:22pm

Hey Mantra - can't believe you really drive a car. All that Co2 you're putting in the air. That's really naughty.

IP Logged

Aussie Nationalist
Ex Member

Reply #16 - Feb 27th, 2007 at 9:28pm

My car has a 5.8 litre engine with a 650cfm carby, 4v heads and extractors.

Total anti-marxist and anti-left wing. The Right is Right.&&&&&&

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Greens seek Sydney CBD road closures
Reply #17 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 8:45pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Greens-seek-Sydney-CBD-road-closures/2007/03/19/1174152957459.html

Road closures in Sydney's CBD would become a regular occurrence under a plan by the NSW Greens to reclaim the city streets for pedestrians and cyclists.

Greens MP Lee Rhiannon is calling for a four-month trial of regular Sunday street closures in central Sydney, along with the establishment of an online service to help plan walking and cycling trips, allowing people to enjoy the city centre.

"In Sydney's CBD traffic congestion means cycling and walking are often quicker, or only slightly longer than driving or catching public transport," she said.

It comes as a new study shows many Sydneysiders are put off cycling around inner-Sydney because of safety concerns.

Four out of five occasional cyclists told a City of Sydney survey that there was too much traffic in the CBD to contemplate cycling.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

pjw21(Guest)

Reply #18 - May 17th, 2007 at 3:08pm

Some drivers just don't get it. I have recently started cycling to work. I'm just a guy who rides to work, trying to lose some weight, save some money and look after the environment. But you have to deal with idiots in cars swerving towards you, not indicating, yelling out the window.

I attempt to stay off the road wherever possible, but need to be on it in certain sections. I try to ride as quick as possible (sometimes up to 50kph - cars still try to race past), and stay out of the road as much as possible. I have however, taken to sitting in the middle of the road in some places so that cars do not attempt to pass me as I fell that it is too dangerous. At most - I would hold a cra up for 30s. That is what I don't get. If the car driver got some exercise ecery once in a while, maybe they wouldn't be so depressed with their monotnous, boring lives that 30s behind a bicycle incites road rage,

However, 99% of drivers are courtous, thoughtful and give me a wide berth. Thankyou.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Motor scooters a menace on roads: survey
Reply #19 - Jul 18th, 2007 at 10:52am

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Motor-scooters-a-menace-on-roads-survey/2007/07/18/1184559819774.html

As motorcycle and scooter sales soar, more than one third of NSW drivers say scooters are the "new menace" on Sydney roads.

Scooter sales for the six months to April were 20 per cent higher than the same period last year, while motorcycle sales enjoyed an even bigger jump - of 36 per cent - in the same period, insurance company AAMI says.

But it says motor scooters, usually with automatic transmission and simpler to ride, are still seen as a worse hazard than their more powerful two-wheeled counterparts on major city roads.

The research also showed 78 per cent of NSW car drivers in the survey said they had seen motorcyclists breaking the law and taking unnecessary risks on the roads.

"This isn't to say that car drivers are any safer or less erratic than motorcyclists, but it does suggest they need to be more vigilant and not take dangerous risks like ducking and weaving in and out of traffic," Ms O'Connor said.

"The unfortunate and often tragic reality is that the motorcycle or scooter rider will come off second best in an accident involving a car, regardless of who is at fault."

Mr O'Connor said a 2004 RTA study had shown in the event of a crash, motorcycle riders were 20 times more likely to be killed than drivers.

Cyclist dies after being hit by car

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Cyclist-dies-after-being-hit-by-car/2007/07/23/1185042980621.html

A cyclist has died after being hit by a car in Melbourne's south-east on Monday morning.

The cyclist and the city-bound car collided on the South Gippsland Highway at Dandenong about 5.40am (AEST), Victoria Police said.

Coroner recommends road cycling changes

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Coroner-recommends-road-cycling-changes/2007/07/26/1185339139615.html

A coroner has recommended closer monitoring of road cycling safety after a cyclist fatally struck an elderly pedestrian during one of Melbourne's notorious Hell Rides.

"Undisciplined large groups of cyclists like the Hell Ride need to be discouraged as they are a significant safety risk to the public as well as themselves," Mr Johnstone said.

Cyclist fine to be viewed as 'pathetic'

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Cyclist-fine-to-be-viewed-as-pathetic/2007/08/08/1186530418767.html

A cyclist who fatally hit a pedestrian during one of Melbourne's notorious Hell Rides has been fined $400, despite a magistrate admitting the penalty would be seen as "pathetic".

In sentencing, Mr Rozencwajg noted that Raisin-Shaw had been charged only with disobeying a traffic signal, not over Mr Gould's death.

Last month, coroner Graeme Johnstone called for research into the policing of cyclists following Mr Gould's death.

Woman cyclist dies in hit and run in Qld

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Woman-cyclist-dies-in-hit-and-run-in-Qld/2007/10/28/1193506334169.html

A cyclist has died in a hit and run in Bundaberg on the central Queensland coast.

Police say the 44-year-old woman was riding down Targo Street at about 7pm (AEST) on Saturday night when she was struck by a car and killed instantly.

They say the car, believed to be a green hatchback, stopped momentarily after the collision then quickly sped off.

Bike numbers on the rise in Australia

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Bike-numbers-on-the-rise-in-Australia/2007/11/16/1194766936273.html

Australians are getting on their bikes and scooters in greater numbers than ever before.

And the number of diesel cars has increased by almost 50 per cent to about 570,000 since 2003, the latest national motor vehicle census reveals.

The census, one of a series first conducted in 1921 but more regularly by the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) since 1971, shows Australia has 14,774,921 assorted vehicles, a 12.2 per cent increase on the 2003 figure and 2.9 per cent more than last year.

Motor-cycle numbers soared past the half-million mark to 511,966 - up 35.9 per cent since 2003 and 10.6 per cent in the past year.

China puts brakes on bike thieves

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/china-puts-brakes-on-bike-thieves/2007/12/03/1196530571215.html

China's capital, where four million bicycles are stolen a year, is clamping down on bike thieves before it hosts the Olympics, state media says.

China is home to a world-record 470 million bicycles, but theft is widespread.

Starting at the weekend, new bicycles must have identification numbers and buyers must register using their real names, the China Daily said.

"The registration of names, ID and phone numbers will make it easier for police to trace stolen bicycles and return them to their rightful owners," the newspaper said.

Around 4,000 people have been caught stealing bicycles this year in the capital Beijing.

Elderly man hit by 'blinded' cyclists

http://news.smh.com.au/elderly-man-hit-by-blinded-cyclists/20080128-1ojs.html

A 72-year-old Sydney man was knocked unconscious when a group of cyclists, who were blinded by the morning sun, slammed into him.

A NRMA Careflight spokesman said the man was walking along the verge of the M4 motorway, in Sydney's west, when the accident occurred about 6.30am (AEDT) on Monday.
« Last Edit: Jan 28th, 2008 at 11:38am by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
$1m plan to ease bikes on trains row
Reply #20 - Feb 16th, 2008 at 10:26pm

http://news.smh.com.au/1m-plan-to-ease-bikes-on-trains-row/20080215-1shu.html

The Victorian government will spend $1 million on 20 new bicycle cages at railway stations as it moves to placate cyclists over its bungled ban on bikes on public transport.

Public Transport Minister Lynne Kosky on Friday reversed the ban in an embarrassing backflip, following uproar from cyclists.

The bike ban was introduced on peak hour trains six weeks ago but Ms Kosky later ordered a review when she learned her department had not adequately consulted on the changes.

Under the new arrangements, bikes will be allowed on all metropolitan and regional V/Line train services.

But they will be restricted to the last carriage while Connex works towards possibly modifying carriages to make them more cyclist friendly.

In a further win for cyclists, fold-up bikes will be allowed on all Melbourne trains, trams and buses from April 1.

The government will also invest $1 million on 20 new bicycle cages at railway stations to reduce congestion on trains.

IP Logged

Ray_A

OzPolitic

Reply #21 - Feb 17th, 2008 at 12:12pm

freediver wrote on Dec 5th, 2006 at 9:53am:
I can't do that at this one intersection, but I'll be making sure I am over in the middle or the right of the lane so the drivers think twice about overtaking me. It always seems that the more room you give them, the closer they are when they overtake you.

Wear bright clothing and ride in the middle of the lane. It's legal, and encouraged. If you ride to the left side of the lane you're only tempting drivers to squeeze by, and this is more likely to cause an accident.

"People who bite the hand that feeds them usually lick the boot that kicks them." &&&&--- Eric Hoffer. &&
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Campbell Newman pledges bike path funding boost
Reply #22 - Feb 22nd, 2008 at 2:35pm

Campbell Newman pledges bike path funding boost

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23228384-952,00.html

FUNDING for bike paths would quadruple if the Liberals won next month's Brisbane City Council election, Lord Mayor Campbell Newman said today.

Cr Newman, with Liberal candidates in tow, rode from the City Botanic Gardens to New Farm park to announce the $100 million funding commitment this morning.

Under the plan, Cr Newman said bikeways would be fast-tracked and missing links of the network completed.

City Hall would spend an average of $25 million in funding each year for four years to complete the plan.

Over the past four years a total of about $25 million has been spent on bikeways.

Cr Newman said it was important for commuters to have options other than private cars and public transport.

"The money that we spend will be to complete some of the missing linkages for example along Bulimba Creek, down in Yeronga, down in Fairfield, just around the corner here in New Farm linking the Powerhouse along the front of Cutters Landing," he said.

"We want to do that so that recreational cyclists can enjoy getting out there and being active and healthy, but we also want to create a network that is real alternative to the use of the private motor vehicle."

Labor's lord mayoral candidate Greg Rowell said Cr Newman was playing "catch up" with bikeway funding because he has been funding tunnels instead.

Vic drivers find cyclists a road hazard

http://news.smh.com.au/vic-drivers-find-cyclists-a-road-hazard/20080226-1urp.html

More than 60 per cent of Victorian motorists find cyclists are a road hazard, according to research carried out by insurer AAMI.

AAMI says its research shows almost half - 47 per cent - of Victorian car drivers have had a close call with a cyclist.

AAMI public affairs manager Geoff Hughes says bicycle sales have risen sharply in recent years as people look for ways to beat traffic and rising fuel prices, and to reduce their personal impact on the environment.

"The fact that 64 per cent of Victorian drivers surveyed find cyclists to be a road hazard shows some drivers still have much to learn about sharing the road," Mr Hughes said.

He said 82 per cent of Victorian motorists think roads are dangerous for cyclists and 61 per cent think they can do more to make roads safer for cyclists.

"The challenge for drivers is to convert this awareness into meaningful action to help make the roads safer for cyclists," Mr Hughes said.

"Drivers need to exercise patience and give cyclists appropriate clearance when passing them, and look out for them before opening car doors, when turning, and when entering roundabouts and intersections."

Man charged over cyclist hit and run

http://news.smh.com.au/man-charged-over-cyclist-hit-and-run/20080227-1v6p.html

A man accused of deliberately hitting a group of Perth cyclists in a road rage incident has been charged by Perth police.

The 19-year-old Mindarie man was charged with four counts of an unlawful act with intent to harm and one count of reckless driving.

Police allege the man continually sounded his car horn at four cyclists riding two abreast on Marmion Avenue, Iluka, in Perth's northern suburbs about 7.30am (WDT) last Tuesday.

"Two riders went to the passenger side of the sedan and two rode to the other side to speak with the driver about his behaviour," police spokeswoman Sgt Diane Simpson said.

"The sedan allegedly moved forward and then accelerated in reverse clipping one of the cyclists," she said.

"The sedan again moved forward and struck another rider who rolled onto the bonnet while his $10,000 bike was crushed beneath the car."

The driver allegedly fled the crash scene.

City crash cyclist urged to call police

http://news.smh.com.au/city-crash-cyclist-urged-to-call-police/20080305-1x48.html

Bicycle Victoria is urging the cyclist who knocked down a pedestrian in Melbourne's Bourke Street late Tuesday to contact police.

Don McFadyen, 62, was taken to hospital with a dislocated hip and a severe fracture of the arm above his elbow.

Mr Barber believes paramedics at the scene treated both men and when the rider had recovered he got back on his bike and rode away.

However, a spokesman for the Metropolitan Ambulance Service said paramedics' record of the incident showed that the cyclist had left the scene by the time they arrived.

Cyclists in 50-bike Sydney hit and run

http://news.smh.com.au/cyclists-in-50bike-sydney-hit-and-run/20080508-2c56.html

A pack of 50 cyclists - including reportedly at least one Olympian - has been involved in a hit and run incident on a Sydney road.

No one was seriously injured, an ambulance spokesman said. Four cyclists were treated at the scene for minor cuts and abrasions, but did not transport any to hospital.

Police say a car crashed into the group of cyclists on Southern Cross Drive in Botany at about 6.45am (AEST) on Thursday, and drove away without stopping.
« Last Edit: May 8th, 2008 at 12:48pm by freediver »  

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #23 - May 15th, 2008 at 10:07pm

I passed a lady on my way to work this morning who had been hit by a car. She had blood on her face and her back tyre was bent, but she was sitting up by herself. I passed another bike accident at the same intersection a few months back. Last week at a different intersection I passed a guy who had been hit by a car. He looked unconscious, had blood dripping from his mouth etc. There's still a blood stain on the road.

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #24 - May 17th, 2008 at 11:17am

freediver wrote on May 15th, 2008 at 10:07pm:
I passed a lady on my way to work this morning who had been hit by a car. She had blood on her face and her back tyre was bent, but she was sitting up by herself. I passed another bike accident at the same intersection a few months back. Last week at a different intersection I passed a guy who had been hit by a car. He looked unconscious, had blood dripping from his mouth etc. There's still a blood stain on the road.

You didn't stop to offer assistance?

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #25 - May 17th, 2008 at 11:55am

With the guy who was unconscious, there was already a large crowd standing around. I felt bad enough just having a sticky beak. I came back the same way about 15 minutes later and the ambulance was there. There were putting some board thing behind his back to load him in without damaging his neck. With the lady I saw on Thursday, there was someone else with her and another bloke on the footpath on a mobile, plus another lady from the nearest car. She was on a small traffic island in the middle of a large intersection. I didn't think a crowd would help. The one a few months back already had cops everywhere.

IP Logged

RecFisher

OzPolitic

Reply #26 - May 20th, 2008 at 11:05pm

Just 2 examples of why cyclist shouldn't be on the roads.  I wouldn't mind sharing if they paid their way via a license and/or rego like other road users have to.  I believe that's why (some) other road users hate them so much.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #27 - May 21st, 2008 at 9:41am

Cyclists don't cause any wear and tear on the road surface like heavier vehicles do. They have to go somewhere, and at the moment it is technically illegal for them to ride on the footpath.

IP Logged

Sprintcyclist
Gold Member

OzPolitic

Reply #28 - May 21st, 2008 at 11:06am

one of the reasons I gave up commuting ot work on my bicycle was there were too many cars on the road.

The way some cyclists ride , I can entirely see why car drivers distrust them.

Modern Classic Right Wing

IP Logged

locutius
Gold Member

You can't fight in here!
It's the War Room

Queensland
Reply #29 - Sep 8th, 2008 at 3:06pm

There was a surplus before the last federal election of BILLIONS as well as the Billions extra that would keep coming in thanks to the GST. Instead of the wholescale bribe for votes that came from both major parties, this money could have been used to start building bike track from suburbian areas into the city.

In many cases the current rail routes could have been utilised, many have enough room to allow bike paths to be built alongside and because they are rail lines they are generally flat so people of most fitness levels could enjoy them and utilise them.

Charge bike registration, to help cover the cost for policing on the bike way. Kids or primary/highschool students can register one bike for free linked to the household, but adults would need to pay. I'm not suggesting $500 a year.

Ultimately the Grand Vision could be to link satelite cities and some regional areas with bikeways. Difficult when in Australian politics there's not a grand visionary amongst them. In Holland you can go almost anywhere on a pushbike and the bikeways there. In fact it is an extremely popular european holiday activity biking and camping in Holland. Australia is not like Holland in size so our infrastructuer cost would be higher because of the greater kilometers to be covered. But surely it is in our ability to link the suburbs and cities with safe bikeways.

Charge an extra tax on junkfood, softdrink, alcohol and cigerattes to get it started. Don't just pick on junkfood. Millions of bike users equals the opportunity for new businesses in bike sales, repair and even manufacture. Surely we can made a descent, sturdy and longlasting pushy here. make it generic with interchangable parts across a broadrange of models. We don't have to buy every piece of poo the Chinese make.

I dream of a better tomorrow, where chickens can cross the road and not be questioned about their motives.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print