Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
WA: daylight savings (again) (Read 4526 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
WA: daylight savings (again)
Dec 4th, 2006 at 3:12pm

The WA government is going to impliment datlight savings yet again. There have been three state-based trials of daylight savings in the past, each followed by a referendum. The referendum failed each time. The strongest supporter of daylight savings appears to be the business community who want to keep in time with the rest of the country, even though they are in a different time zone. Daylight savings clearly does not make sense for a state that extends into the tropics. The government has decided to abandon the historical one-year trial in favour of a three year trial, presumably in an attempt to give the business community what they want for as long as possible, in case those pesky voters knock it back yet again. The government has even threatened to pass it into legislation anyway even if the public vote against it.

Daylight savings was imposed on all Australian states during World Wars I and II to save energy. It was reintroduced to WA in 1974/5 but was rejected in a referendum. The same thing happened in 1983/84 and again in 1991/2.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
daylight savings and energy consumption
Reply #1 - Mar 15th, 2007 at 4:17pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/More-daylight-saving-uses-more-energy/2007/03/15/1173722635826.html

Extending daylight saving increases rather than decreases energy consumption, according to a US study of Australia which has implications for both countries.

Prolonged daylight saving succeeded in cutting electricity use in the evenings, but this was more than offset by increased usage in the mornings, according to the study by California's Berkeley University.

The outcome weakens the argument of those proposing extended daylight saving months to curb Australia's high greenhouse gas emissions.

It also calls into question an imminent US experiment aimed at reducing energy consumption by one per cent during extended daylight saving periods.

"While the DST extension does reduce the evening peak load in Victoria in 2000, it creates a new, sharp peak in the morning.

"This 2000 morning peak is even higher than the evening peak in 2001."

NSW, Vic, ACT to extend daylight saving

http://www.smh.com.au/news/breaking-news/nsw-vic-act-to-extend-daylight-saving/2007/04/13/1175971311629.html

Two Australian states and a territory have agreed to Tasmania's proposal to join its longer daylight saving period.

The move will bring NSW, Victoria, the ACT into the same daylight saving period as Tasmania - from the first Sunday in October until the first Sunday in April.

Tasmania previously has been one hour out of step with the other states for three weeks each spring because it starts its daylight saving earlier.

Daylight savings split opposed: Poll

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Daylight-savings-split-opposed-Poll/2007/07/01/1183228945485.html

Queenslanders are strongly opposed to a plan to split the state into two time zones, according to a poll published on Sunday.

The poll, by The Sunday Mail newspaper, found only 27 per cent of respondents supported a proposal to deliver daylight saving to the state's south-east corner while the rest of the state remained on Australian Eastern Standard Time (AEST).

Of the 509 people who took part in the statewide survey, 64 per cent were opposed to the move while nine per cent were undecided.

Queensland Premier Peter Beattie described the results as a "severe blow" to the daylight savings compromise which he believed may have been the only solution to the ongoing debate.

However, the premier told the newspaper he would wait for the results of government sponsored research into the issue before deciding whether or not to press ahead with a referendum next year.

Qld considers daylight saving

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Qld-considers-daylight-saving/2007/09/17/1189881415066.html

A decision on whether Queensland should adopt daylight saving is to be made within weeks.

Premier Anna Bligh said the government was still waiting for the results of ACNielsen research, which examined Queenslanders' attitudes to daylight saving.

She said the government would be "very, very cautious" when considering the state's time zone.

"Queensland is a different geographic shape than other states in Australia," Ms Bligh told reporters in Brisbane.

"If I lived in Victoria, daylight saving would be a very, very straight-forward proposition. But there are more people living in parts of Queensland to the west than people generally understand."

In the last daylight saving referendum, held in 1992, daylight saving was defeated 54.6 per cent to 45.4 per cent.

Ms Bligh said if the research showed clear opposition, it wouldn't be put to another vote.

She promised to make the research - including questions and answers - publicly available.

Extended Daylight Saving Time Not an Energy Saver?

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2008/03/080307-daylight-saving.html?source=cmailer

On Sunday people in the United States will roll their clocks forward an hour at 2 a.m. and begin the country's second consecutive year of extended daylight saving time.

The change, adopted into law last year, was touted as a way to save energy. But some studies suggest the move actually has consumers using more power—and paying bigger energy bills.

Hendrik Wolff, an environmental economist at the University of Washington in Seattle, is skeptical of the purported savings.

Wolff and colleague Ryan Kellogg studied Australian power-use data surrounding the 2000 Sydney Olympics, when parts of the country extended daylight saving time to accommodate the games.

The pair compared energy use in the state of Victoria, which adopted daylight saving time earlier than normal, to South Australia, which did not.

"Basically if people wake up early in the morning and go to bed earlier, they do save artificial illumination at night and reduce electricity consumption in the evening," Wolff said.

"Our study confirmed that effect. But we also found that more electricity is consumed in the morning. In the end, these two effects wash each other out."
« Last Edit: Mar 10th, 2008 at 3:25pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Jasin
Gold Member

Re: WA: daylight savings (again)
Reply #2 - Feb 25th, 2019 at 10:48pm

DLS is the dumbest thing out.

It's like Scandinavia trying to pretend that their winter darkness doesn't really exist because they're still calling it summer daylight.  Roll Eyes

Morning commuters finally get some daylight at their end of the clock and then DLS comes in and forces them back into darkness.

So basically, DLS is bias towards 'afternoon' as a priority for daylight, over morning early risers.  Tongue

This is a great example of Australia and it's OVER-ACHIEVERS trying to make Australia more complicated than it needs to be.
Roll Eyes

AIMLESS EXTENTION OF KNOWLEDGE HOWEVER, WHICH IS WHAT I THINK YOU REALLY MEAN BY THE TERM 'CURIOSITY', IS MERELY INEFFICIENCY. I AM DESIGNED TO AVOID INEFFICIENCY.

IP Logged

Mortdooley
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Texas Gulf Coast
Reply #3 - Feb 25th, 2019 at 11:23pm

There were a lot of reasons to have daylight savings time, none of them good. The Drive-in Theater is a thing of the past thanks to it and our children get off school buses in the dark when they get home. If it ended today I would never miss it!

The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left. ~Ecc. 10:2

IP Logged

lee
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #4 - Feb 25th, 2019 at 11:36pm

edit: oops that was from April 1 last year.

IP Logged

goosecat

Australian Politics

Reply #5 - Feb 25th, 2019 at 11:44pm

Grin

IP Logged

Valkie
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Central Coast
Reply #6 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 4:24am

Your lords and masters have spoken

You will, start early, like it or not

Just because they get up around lunchtime

Does not mean you should get up any later than dawn.

I HAVE A DREAM
A WONDERFUL, PEACEFUL, BEAUTIFUL DREAM.
A DREAM OF A WORLD THAT HAS NEVER KNOWN ISLAM
A DREAM OF A WORLD FREE FROM THE HORRORS OF ISLAM.

SUCH A WONDERFUL DREAM
O HOW I WISH IT WERE TRU

IP Logged

crocodile
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #7 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 6:12am

Old Joh up in Qld wouldn't have a bar of it. He thought the sun shone out of his arse and wasn't going to bed an hour later for anybody.

Fades the curtains too.

Very funny Scotty, now beam down my clothes.

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #8 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 7:57am

Daylight savings; toll roads   Grin

You guys in the eastern states have some funny ideas.

IP Logged

Sir Spot of Borg
Gold Member

WE ARE BORG

Australia
Reply #9 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 8:09am

I have lived in QLD for most of my life so its particularly annoying and silly now when its light at 830pm (kids dont wanna go to bed cause its light) and its friggin dark til late in the morning. Its stupid.

Spot

Whaaaaaah!
I'm a 
Moron!
- edited by some unethical admin - you think its funny? - its a slippery slope
WWW PoliticsAneReligion  
IP Logged

it_is_the_light
Gold Member

Christ Light

The Pyramid of LIGHT
Reply #10 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 8:41am

many blessings

and again we see the freemasons roll out the daylight savings polarizing debate ..

this is designed to get everyone fighting and arguing,

and to sidetrack observation of other events that freemasons want to hide , obfuscate

like the satanic freemason pell and his guilty verdict of raping children .

interesting validation whom the OP is written by too

same old same old and nothing to see here ..

fall into the trap or evolve , yet either way

be at peace

namaste

╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
« Last Edit: Feb 27th, 2019 at 8:53am by it_is_the_light »  

ॐ May Much LOVE and CHRISTS LIGHT be upon and within us all.... namasté ▲ - : )  ╰დ╮ॐ╭დ╯
it_is_the_light it_is_the_light Christ+Light Christ+Light  
IP Logged

The_Barnacle
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Melbourne
Reply #11 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 10:09am

Love daylight saving.
Enjoy getting home from work in the daylight.

It just seems like another thing for grumpy old people to complain about.

The Right Wing only believe in free speech when they agree with what is being said.

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #12 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 10:12am

crocodile wrote on Feb 27th, 2019 at 6:12am:
Old Joh up in Qld wouldn't have a bar of it. He thought the sun shone out of his arse and wasn't going to bed an hour later for anybody.

Fades the curtains too.

Good grief .... the old "fades the curtains" is something the pro DLS supporters trot out every year to denigrate those who oppose it.  Roll Eyes

It's completely unnecessary to have DLS in QLD.

I know quite a few Victorians that hate it ..... and when you have a natural summer twilight until nearly 9.30 pm in summer why would you want it light until 10.30pm?

A lot of Cockroaches(NSWmen/women) & Mexicans(Dictorians) move to QLD to get away from it.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

greggerypeccary
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #13 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 10:13am

The_Barnacle wrote on Feb 27th, 2019 at 10:09am:
Love daylight saving.
Enjoy getting home from work in the daylight.

It just seems like another thing for grumpy old people to complain about.

May I ask why?

IP Logged

Gnads
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #14 - Feb 27th, 2019 at 10:15am

Sir Spot of Borg wrote on Feb 27th, 2019 at 8:09am:
I have lived in QLD for most of my life so its particularly annoying and silly now when its light at 830pm (kids dont wanna go to bed cause its light) and its friggin dark til late in the morning. Its stupid.

Spot

Where is that?

Early summer it's daylight at 4.30 am it's only just starting to stay a little darker until around 5 or just after now in February.

"When you are dead, you do not know you are dead. It's only painful and difficult for others. The same applies when you are stupid." ~ Ricky Gervais

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print