Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print
should the shark die? (Read 30270 times)
freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
should the shark die?
Dec 3rd, 2006 at 4:37pm

Many people who survive these shark attacks later speak up in support of shark protection.

www.smh.com.au/news/National/WA-shark-hunted-as-teen-victim-recovers/2006/12/03/1165080795581.html

WA Premier Alan Carpenter said the shark should be killed if it threatened more lives and WA Fisheries stressed it would only do so as a last resort.

Fifteen-year-old Zak Golebiowski, from Mt Gambier in South Australia, had been body boarding with his 18-year-old brother off Wharton Beach, 70km east of Esperance when a five metre shark attacked him.

Part of Zak's right leg was bitten off by the huge shark, which also mauled and punctured his other leg, leaving it severely lacerated.

www.smh.com.au/news/National/Fisheries-staff-survey-beach-for-shark/2006/12/03/1165080802258.html

Fisheries authorities have taken to the skies to find the shark that bit off part of a teenager's leg while he was body surfing at a beach in Western Australia on Saturday.

But WA Fisheries stressed its main goal was to warn any other swimmers of the shark and that it would be a last resort to capture and kill the animal.

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

Christian

Where IS Australia, anyway?

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Re: should the shark die?
Reply #1 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 11:21am

As well it should be.

With no disrespect whatsoever to the victims of shark attacks, it should be pointed out that sharks were here first and that it is humans who are encroaching on the shark's habitat.

No matter how badly I was injured in a shark attack, I would never call for the slaughter of sharks in revenge.

Hey, look! It's fish guy.
christianbobak  
IP Logged

uno

ozpolitic.com

Reply #2 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 1:01pm

I think the shark was only doing what a shark does ... but once a shark tastes the yumminess of a human, does it become a maneater?   Undecided

IP Logged

uno

ozpolitic.com

Reply #3 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 1:02pm

What does that mean, anyway?  Yabb? 

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #4 - Dec 5th, 2006 at 2:03pm

yet another bulletin board

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
jaws
Reply #5 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 11:48am

I've heard of lions getting a taste for human flesh. Apparently it's a lot easier to strip from the bone than wild animals. But I don't think sharks would be the same. They don't like the taste of humans Tongue and usually spit us out after biting us by mistake. I guess land animals have a lot more bone and a lot less fat and oil than most marine animals. So if anything, sharks would learn to avoid us after an attack. But you never know what a shark will do when it gets real hungry. I think they can go a long time (and distance) between meals so it wouldn't be obvious if it was the same shark, but I expect we would pick up on it eventually.

IP Logged

Christian

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #6 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 12:34pm

Which part of Australia are you in, fish guy? Do you have sharks in your area? Have you ever encountered any?

christianbobak  
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #7 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 12:59pm

I'm on the east coast, but there are sharks everywhere. One time I was on the north side of Broughton Island (about 3 hours north of Sydney). I had just strung up a fish and was floating above the top end of steep dropoff. I could just see the bottom in the deep water. Anyway, a very large shark swam along the bottom edge of the dropoff. It looked about as wide as a small car, but seemed short for it's width. I think they get stocky like that when they are large. There aren't many species that get that big. It was probably a tiger or bull shark. Anyway, I turned towards it and gave a bit of a kick, and the shark turned away from me slightly. It was out of range of visibility within a few seconds. There would have been blood in the water and the fish probably weren't completely dead yet, so I headed into the shallows and back to the boat.

Another time I was just north of there at Seal Rocks in a spearing competition. The water was dirty and rough so we were all crammed into a small area. A few grey nurse sharks had also taken up residence. They are very placid sharks, though they look mean. Anyway, one started mouthing at a fish on a mate's float. I didn't want him to loose the fish, or to have the sharks go into feeding mode, so I went over and poked it. It sunk to the bottom and disappeared behind a small ledge. I started swimming away. About ten secodns later I turned around and the same shark was just behind me, within centimeters of the end of my fins. I turned around and gave it another poke and it went away again. I called out to the others in the immediate area and they didn't seem to worried, but I convinced them to move away anyway. Grey Nurses are protected and I wouldn't want one to get shot accidentally.

IP Logged

uno

ozpolitic.com

Reply #8 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 1:15pm

Christian ... get an avi ... it's like talking to you while you're behind a curtain or something ...

IP Logged

Christian

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #9 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 1:58pm

It won't let me.  Angry

It keeps saying my password is invalid, but I think I know why. Gimme a sec ...

christianbobak  
IP Logged

Christian

Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reply #10 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 2:07pm

Okay, there you go, Uno.  Roll Eyes

christianbobak  
IP Logged

uno

ozpolitic.com

Reply #11 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 3:06pm

I MUST try this teletype thingie.  I'm glad you got your avi on, Christian.  Did you notice that you're not cropped to be square here? 

IP Logged

uno

ozpolitic.com

Reply #12 - Dec 6th, 2006 at 3:06pm

Hmmm ... I thought that was gonna do something cool ... Oh well ...

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Surfers want shark killed at Bells Beach
Reply #13 - Dec 19th, 2006 at 2:27pm

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Surfers-want-shark-killed-at-Bells-Beach/2006/12/19/1166290517596.html

Australia's peak surfing body wants the shark responsible for an attack on a Victorian man to be hunted down and killed.

Steve Robertson, from Surfing Australia, the national governing body for the sport, said he thought the shark that attacked 25-year-old Peter Galvin should be killed to stop it attacking again.

When asked whether it should be killed he said: "Unfortunately yes. It is not a nice thing, but I don't think any surfer wants it hanging around."

Mr Robertson said the shark was in a marine reserve and may be protected.

"Our fishing mates can't go in there and chase it," he said.

Premier Steve Bracks told Southern Cross Radio he thought hunting down the shark would not prevent further attacks.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/National/Surfers-undeterred-by-shark-attack/2006/12/19/1166290517300.html

Moments after a young man was mauled by a shark near one of Australia's most famous surf beaches late on Monday, police had to convince two men not to jump back into the ocean.

IP Logged

NoComment(Guest)

Reply #14 - Dec 20th, 2006 at 12:24pm

<begin rant>
It never ceases to amaze me that people start calling for sharks to pay the price for wondering what that wierd looking thing in the water is.  They dont have hands people!  If they want to know about you they have to bite you.  Why would they want to know about you?  Well its getting dark and the shark is keen for a feed, its visual system is starting to switch from its day colour version to a more monochromatic night version.  Sure its going to sense you with its other systems but if it cant see you clearly and you obviously havent seen it and tried to escape then a bit more investigation isnt going to hurt it.  Bang someone gets bitten, people like vic hislop start waving their shotguns in the air crying out for shark blood.  A lot of the time he even gets to fire off a few rounds in anger.  bugger him, bugger all you idiots for even thinking that anyone but the person is to blame.  You swim at dawn or dusk you are at much higher risk of being attacked.  If, during the day you get attacked then thats tough luck, wrong place wrong time. 
<rant stop>

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 
Send Topic Print