Forum

Back to OzPolitic.com   Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
  Forum Home Album HelpSearch Recent Rules LoginRegister  

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print
baby bonus and fertility rate (Read 45667 times)
mantra
Gold Member

ozpolitic.com

Re: baby bonus and fertility rate
Reply #75 - Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:21pm

It is ludicrous.  Who's going to decide whether a mother is unfit or not?  You could have a group of women who decide to gang up on another one who they don't particularly like and complain to the authorities.

DOCS is snowed under and can't attend to even half of the complaints they receive, but now there will be even more.

It would be interesting to see if any women from a higher socio-economic environment are penalised - hardly likely - they already have the cash to feed their habits.

IP Logged

Classic Liberal
Gold Member

OzPolitic

sydney
Re: Baby bonus vouchers, not cash, for some
Reply #76 - Mar 20th, 2008 at 6:16pm

freediver wrote on Mar 19th, 2008 at 6:14pm:
This just keeps getting more and more absurd. First we have Nelson sprouting racist policy. Now the government is going to have first and second class parents. How are they going to decide? They'll spend $1000 on bureacracy for every $5000 handout.

Baby bonus vouchers, not cash, for some

http://news.smh.com.au/baby-bonus-vouchers-not-cash-for-some/20080319-20bd.html

The federal government says irresponsible parents will no longer receive the baby bonus as a lump sum payment.

Instead they will be given vouchers to buy essential items so the money is used to make their children's lives better.

Families Minister Jenny Macklin says the government intends keeping a closer eye on how the bonus is spent and those who do not spend it appropriately will have the money quarantined.

we are still in the teething stage of this policy. i would think that looking at how other nationms hav successfully implemented this policy would be a good diea for our governments instead of trial and error though.

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
China to leave one child behind
Reply #77 - Apr 23rd, 2008 at 5:26pm

China to Reconsider One-Child Limit

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/02/29/world/asia/29china.html

BEIJING — China is studying how to move away from the country’s one-child-per-couple restriction, but any changes would come gradually and would not mean an elimination of family planning policies, a senior official said Thursday

The official, Zhao Baige, vice minister of the National Population and Family Planning Commission, told reporters at a news conference that government officials recognize that China must alter its current population-control policies.

“We want incrementally to have this change,” Ms. Zhao said, according to Reuters. “I cannot answer at what time or how, but this has become a big issue among decision makers.”

What happens if China’s “one child” is left behind?

http://www.enn.com/top_stories/article/32162

Based on a senior official’s remarks, it looks like China may soon relax its one-child policy. That has raised fears among some demographers that the country will experience a massive baby boom once the reproductive shackles come off, and hence “could overturn predictions of an imminent end to global population growth,”¯ in the words of New York Times reporter Andrew Revkin.

Almost one in five human beings is Chinese (1.3 billion out of a global total of 6.7 billion), so the country matters immensely to human numbers. But there’s an assumption embedded in this discussion that deserves to be challenged.

How do we know it’s the one-child policy that actually explains China’s current low fertility? Could factors outside of the heavy-handed government framework of fines and sanctions continue to keep Chinese families small even if that framework becomes less heavy-handed?

After all, families are small (and getting smaller) in lots of countries where governments don’t dictate their size. And surveys indicate that three out of five Chinese under the age of 30 want no more than two children, with very few wanting more than three.

The government estimates (and not all demographers trust this) that Chinese women now have an average of 1.8 children each over their lifetimes. That alone tells us the one-child policy is ineffective at driving births down to a national rate anywhere close to one child per woman.

Paradoxically, women in Taiwan and in the special administrative regions of Hong Kong and Macao actually have about one child on average, and the one-child policy has never been a factor for these populations. True, they’re not fully comparable to China’s population as a whole, but their hyper-low fertility does speak to the feasibility of achieving lower fertility based not on coercive policies but on the reproductive choices of couples and individuals and good access to family planning services.

Chinese fertility rates began falling long before the one-child policy went into effect in 1979. Women had an average of more than six children in the early 1950s, and that average had fallen by more than half by the late 1970s. It has continued to fall since the introduction of the one-child policy, but less rapidly than in those earlier decades and no more rapidly than fertility has fallen elsewhere in the world.

No one would argue that China’s one-child policy has no impact at all on the country’s population growth. But to attribute a demographic “savings”¯ of 300 million “never-born”¯ people to that policy, as some Chinese officials have done, is to ignore the many other reasons women have fewer children than their mothers or older sisters did. These reasons—which I explore in a book available next month, More: Population, Nature, and What Women Want—include women’s aspirations to educate themselves and find satisfying employment, not to mention decent access to effective contraception.

China’s hothouse economic growth and improving social welfare programs are also likely to continue to encourage smaller families. Just possibly, so does the keen awareness among its citizens that the country’s environmental challenges are closely related to its giant and still-growing population.

Chinese women and couples undoubtedly want the same high-quality health care and contraceptive options that women do elsewhere in the world. Whether an end to global population growth is imminent has much more to do with policies in all countries that help people reach those aspirations than with policies in any one country, no matter how populous, that dictate how many children a woman can have.

Robert Engelman is Vice President for Programs at the Worldwatch Institute and author of the forthcoming book More: Population, Nature, and What Women Want, published by Island Press.

There are plenty of other means tested handouts for new parents that overcome this problem:

Means-testing baby bonus 'ridiculous'

http://news.smh.com.au/meanstesting-baby-bonus-ridiculous/20080506-2b97.html

Deputy federal opposition leader Julia Bishop says means-testing the baby bonus would be "ridiculous" and could create an administrative nightmare.

The Rudd government has hinted next week's budget may contain measures limiting high-income earners from accessing welfare payments, including the baby bonus which rises to $5,000 from July 1.

"Would you means-test it on a woman's pre-baby income, or would you means-test it on her post-baby income, or would you income-test her partner? What about single mothers?
« Last Edit: May 6th, 2008 at 4:08pm by freediver »  

I identify as Mail because all I do is SendIT!
IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Calls for means-tested baby bonus
Reply #78 - May 7th, 2008 at 4:16pm

http://news.smh.com.au/calls-for-meanstested-baby-bonus/20080507-2brk.html

Tuesday's federal budget should rein in so-called middle class welfare to stop the "churn" of taxpayers' money coming straight back to them, a business leader says.

Greig Gailey, president of the Business Council of Australia, says it is not appropriate to hand out benefits, such as the baby bonus, regardless of income.

The federal opposition has defended the non-means tested payment, but Mr Gailey says it is time to spend taxes more wisely.

"If you look at the position of what one might describe as the middle-ranking taxpayers, something like about 30 per cent of the tax they pay actually comes back to them," Mr Gailey told ABC Radio.

"That sort of churn I think is highly questionable in terms of its efficiency and I think providing un-means tested benefits like the baby bonus is a good example, (it) really isn't appropriate in our view.

Another leading business group - the Australian Industry Group - is also backing calls to means test the baby bonus.

Family benefits should be integrated into one program, which should include paid maternity leave for working women.

Ms Ridout backed the government's tough talk on the need to slash budget spending to contain inflation.

Opposition Leader Brendan Nelson has denied Australia is facing an inflation crisis, saying it was nothing more than a story "concocted" by the Rudd government.

But Ms Ridout said inflation was a problem and federal governments had been spending too much.

Government expenditure had grown at an average of 6.5 per cent over the last five years.

"That's too high in an economy that's already at full stretch," she said.

"I think this budget has to have a focus on inflation, inflation's around four per cent."

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #79 - May 13th, 2008 at 9:13am

I think I posted a newspaper article somewhere about an anticipated increase in the number of children with special needs. I think Rudd was promising to allocate more funding before the election. Now I can't seem to find it. Does anyone remember anything about this?

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #80 - May 4th, 2009 at 12:00pm

I believe that there should be some kind of license to have children.
Current level of education and advancement begs for some kind of special preparation for partnership.

Sounds bit harsh, but quite often we have 3rd generation of permanently unemployed person with a group of children fathered by different fathers.
Quite often we have drug addicts with children, children who rarely break out of the way they were raised up.

We have a number of people who should not parasite the society and quite simply should not be allowed to breed.

IP Logged

Calanen
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #81 - May 4th, 2009 at 1:19pm

Happy wrote on May 4th, 2009 at 12:00pm:
Current level of education and advancement begs for some kind of special preparation for partnership.

Sounds bit harsh, but quite often we have 3rd generation of permanently unemployed person with a group of children fathered by different fathers.
Quite often we have drug addicts with children, children who rarely break out of the way they were raised up.

We have a number of people who should not parasite the society and quite simply should not be allowed to breed.

No need to license them, let em have as many as they want.

Just make them all work.

Quote:
ISLAM is a vicious [un-reformable] political tyranny, which has always murdered its critics, and it continues that practice even today.
Yadda

IP Logged

Happy
Gold Member

Australian Politics

Reply #82 - May 4th, 2009 at 2:02pm

Quote: Calanen

"No need to license them, let em have as many as they want.

Just make them all work"

This would be great move.

(I would even extend that to prison inmates
Why should we pay for their mistakes, but getting off topic here)

IP Logged

freediver
Gold Member

www.ozpolitic.com

At my desk.
Reply #83 - May 4th, 2009 at 3:47pm

Because justice is expensive. It is not the sort of thing you want to skimp on.

IP Logged

DifferentFrequency

Australian Politics

Sydney
Reply #84 - Dec 26th, 2014 at 3:15pm

Happy wrote on May 4th, 2009 at 12:00pm:

Lol. Your breeding program would create the kind of dumbasses who think growth of economy is better than growth of production and quality of life.

No thanks. We have enough sheeple.

Beware of those who keep cats, for those are the familiar of the communist

IP Logged

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 
Send Topic Print